220 4th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0H5Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.internationalhotel.ca/dining/index.cfm
- Phone: 4032907852x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday:
Breakfast: 6:30AM - 10:00AM
Lunch: 11:30AM - 1:30PM
Saturday & Sunday:
Breakfast: 7:00AM - 11:00AM
Lunch: 11:00AM - 2:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: John Nidua
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With over 6,500 square feet of dedicated meeting space to choose from, featuring nine rooms with flexible floor plan layouts our property has become the destination of choice for private business seminars and intimate special occasions in downtown Calgary.
A word from GLOBAL
A warm, inviting atmosphere that is family friendly.Chef John Nidua has updated a uniquely "Western" menu, fusing the flavors of the Far East with traditional local ingredients featuring mouthwatering appetizers, scrumptious sandwiches, sizzling entrees and decadent desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
GLOBAL reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (10)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Hidden gembottleneck70Dined on 8/28/2014I didn't even know this place existed. It is in the basement of the International Hotel. Good food with numerous gluten free options for lunch if they are required. The room is in the basement so you fell a little closed in and the noise was moderate. I had the seafood chowder, beef dip, and the turtle cheesecake. It was all good. Other guest needed gluten free and had GF pasta with turtle cheesecake as well. She said it was all good as well. I would definitely go back now that I know it is there and price was right.Special Features:
- Fantastic food. Convenient locationElleVIPDined on 6/17/2014We booked a group lunch at Global because of its location and vegetarian options. It's in the basement of the International Hotel so that wasa bit of a surprise. Low ceiling and it looks like it used to be a cafeteria. It was clean and nicely decorated though. The use servers were scattered and awkward but the food was fantastic. Great lunch selections with generous portions for the price. I wouldn't recommend it for a fancy occasion but if you're downtown and want a great lunch it's worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 18 reviews are from the GLOBAL reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014My favorites on the menu are the fish & chips and the beef dip. Service is always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something QuickStuStuQuinDined on 4/17/2014If you need to have a decent breakfast without spending too much time Global's buffet will do the trick. Nothing to fancy but reasonably priced. I did like the "make your own waffle machine" but thankfully there wasn't a bunch of people looking for waffles. The buffet is all they serve so you can get in and out in a hurry.
- Quiet restaurantJcoteacherDined on 4/11/2014Very quiet restaurant with a good variety of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend GlobalSydneyDined on 3/18/2014As always, Global delivers delicious food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialpickletoryVIPDined on 3/6/2014My lettuce wraps were very good, although from the menu description I thought I was getting a salad...? The ambiance definitely is lack lustre as there appears to be no color palate in the decorating. In the basement of the hotel, much more could be done to make it more welcoming and appealing. When you come down the stairs there is no proper entry way, you're just walking straight into the seating area.Special Features:
- Disappointing Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Global was everything that you'd expect a restaurant in a hotel sub-basement to be. It was dingy, drafty, and just kind of.....weird. (Any time a Coca Cola fridge is out in the open and visible to customers, you know you're doomed.) The Valentine's menu offered a strange choice of appetizers (an oyster or tuna) -- it would have been nice to have something a little more accessible (how about a little charcuterie platter to share? Ginger Calamari? Mediterranean dips and pita?) The steak for the main course was actually nicely done (the other choice was pasta -- with fish skin?), but the Creme Brulee for dessert (despite having Calvados in it) was gutless. The servers seemed friendly enough; there was just nothing memorable to bring us back.
- Intl Hotel CalgaryRetiredDined on 2/10/2014Recently renovated, reasonable prices, good fast service and good food. I have been going there over 20 years and it is pretty consistent. The lounge is great too.Special Features:
- Lunch in newly renovated restaurantMerrDined on 2/6/2014Was nicely redone - but not quite the same ambiance as before - seems more cafeteria-like than café. Obviously not a place where people drink wine with lunch as they had to go find a menu and there was a small selection of low cost wines. As always though, the service was prompt and friendly and the vindaloo was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Global is Great!SydneyDined on 1/30/2014We have had many many lunches at this restaurant. The food is always very good and the servers are warm and welcoming and attentive. The renovations after the flood are superb, giving an open updated look. The only bad thing we could say is that it is noisy from all the chat at the tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent downtown lunch venueOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/16/2014I have been going to this restaurant for several years now. It is a hidden gem in the bottom floor of the International Hotel. It has recently been renovated and has a nice, modern vibe. The service is exceptional and the food is great. If you are looking for a spot downtown to have a fairly sit-down lunch but make it back to work within the hour - this is a great option. The food is wonderfully consistent and the staff are very friendly. I recommend the taco salad. I hear that breakfast/brunch is also great here.
- Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014This restaurant was noisy before the renovation and now seems even more so. The booths used to provide some semblance of privacy. The food is still good as is the service but don't go for an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- Food was not very good, perhapsHelloDined on 12/22/2011Food was not very good, perhaps it was during lunch hour and every staff was busy... The service was not great either. Did not get waited at once and there was no hostess. The waitress was polite, but did not come to our table to give out the menu and ask us for drinks until over 5 minutes after we've been seated. Honestly, I was very disappointed for my overall dining experience. I'd rather eat fast food than returning to this restaurant... Sorry for the negative comments, but if they would like to compete with other downtown restaurants, they will have to work a little harder.Special Features:
- In the basement of the InternationaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2011In the basement of the International Hotel. Ambience of a cafeteria but the beef dip and the soup were very good. Don't do this one for the big date. I got the reservation through Opentable but when we got there, they had never heard of us. Luckily there was lots of space.
- Won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/7/2011This has to be the worst restaurant experience I've had -- ever! Reserved for a group of 18, and while we got a table, the service was absolutely abysmal. Examples: server asks individually around table what people wanted to drink/eat, but stood on the side and asked "who wanted a diet coke? Who ordered the fish and chips?" What was the point of writing it down, or asking. This was like being in a cafeteria without the counter service. The waiter passed plates down the table and across the table.The staff need real training in what a restaurant experience is, and what service is. On top of that, they give a 15% discount for a large group, but charge 18% for tip. Good thing: Had you left it to me, the tip would be MUCH lower. Won't go back.
- Order the lobster Mac n CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2011The restaurant was very clean and had a cozy feel and the noise level low for the size of group (12) we had. The lobster macaroni & cheese was excellent and i would go again just to order it. The taco salad was too salty. A lot of the group thought the value for money just was not there.Special Features:
- Superbly Served, Delice!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2011Service was superb! The food were well presented, tasty and satisfying. We will certainly be back to try the other dishes. Our lunch was a belated birthday and my friend considered her beefdip sand the best and I had my fave bison burger with salad. Had a wonderful tasty lunch and visit.Special Features:
- Haven't dined at 4th Ave forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2011Haven't dined at 4th Ave for quite a while. I was very pleased with the quality of my meal (portion size, taste, temp.) And our server was very accommodating. Menu selection was very good and prices were reasonable. I will definitely be back in the next while to try another dish.Special Features:
- This is one of my co-workersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2011This is one of my co-workers favorite places to go. The food is good, it's reasonably prices, and it's fairly quiet. The only thing I would change was their gravy.Special Features: