Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.glasswalltherestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7138687930
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jorge Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Glass Wall
Glass Wall was created for the sole purpose of entertaining people. Our concept of evolving menus has helped to sustain and satisfy our guests changing appetites. Our menus are influenced less by trends and more from our travels and experiences. Our staff are always eager to assist you with a genuine smile and the hope that you come as guests and leave as friends. As hands on proprietors, we only ask that our guests sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Glass Wall - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
Glass Wall reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (75)notable wine list (56)romantic (41)good for groups (33)great for brunch (33)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great food but too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014they should really work on reducing the noise level. its an easy fix.Special Features:
- Delicious food!!sandygVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a great time here. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- One of our Consistent FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014We live in the neighborhood, and every time we end up at GW, we ask each other why we don't come more often. The service is always excellent. Bartenders are the best in town and take very good care of their customers. I order a drink that most places can't get right and GW never misses - it's as good as I make it at home. This is a place where you never get a bad meal. It's always memorably delicious. Unless we have guests in town, we sit at the bar because you can order from the awesome bar menu (Deviled Egg Sliders - HELLO?? Best Ever!) and you can also order from the dinner menu. You cannot however, get the bar menu in the restaurant, even if you offer to bribe your server for just one order of the Epic Deviled Egg Sliders.Special Features:
- lovetoeatoutDined on 9/5/2014We had the corn flake crusted chicken fried steak and was disappointed. It was oily and chewy. The braised short ribs were good. We really enjoying going there because of the location. The wine list is okay but has a very limited selection of whites by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014For the second year in a row we went to the Glass Wall during Houston Restaurant Week. Last year we thought it was very loud due to one particular table who consumed a large amount of wine not far from us. We went back again this weekend and the food and service were excellent. The noise, however, is more than just energetic. With cement floors and high ceilings I guess there is not much they can do to alter this in the present state, but I thought it may have been one of the loudest restaurants I've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The food was outstanding! The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list.Special Features:
- Great all aroundluvsyumsDined on 8/30/2014Was really blown away by our night out here. We typically go for the very upscale restaurants Da Marco, Pappas Bros., RDG and so on. But we decided to try out Glass Wall for something more casual and we are kicking ourselves for not having gone sooner. Great energy, great crowd, stellar service. Reasonable prices. We all chose the Restaurant week menu so we got out of there at $45 per person before alcohol. The heirloom beet salad was outstanding. The chicken fried steak was excellent. The crab cakes were a hit. The fish and paella dishes were also excellent. Everyone's dessert was great. Our server was top-notch. The wine she recommended was also wonderful. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHookemDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food and service. However, the place is VERY loud. It's hard to have a conversation with your dining partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreyDined on 8/29/2014Great food, great service, excellent wine list. Highly recommend the beef short rib and crawfish pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointingRichardVIPDined on 8/27/2014We went for dinner during HRW and was extremely disappointed. We had been a few times previously so this was particularly disconcerting. First, the tables were practically on top of each other and the din was deafening. Never noticed how loud it was before, so not sure what happened there. Our first course was the lobster ravioli and the crab cake. Both were fine, neither great. For main course the chicken fried steak was good but the snapper just didn't work. The corn was too sweet to compliment the fish, the sauce was awful, and the fish itself came off as dull. Then for last course the chocolate cake with salted caramel had no noticeable caramel, just dry chocolate cake. All in all, medicore dinner at a high ($45 per person) price point.
- Great ExperienceYankturnedTexanDined on 8/27/2014Tried this during Houston Restaurant Week 2014. Arrived early and sat at the bar waiting for my friend. Ordered the cabernet the bartender recommended - great recommendation and he gave me a history of the wine and owners and their relationship to the owner. Will be looking for this wine at my wine store! Tried the blue crab cake and redfish - outstanding. Loved the sauce and sides that came with the dishes. I was surprised at how large the portions - had to take some home with me. Service was great. Our waiter was very entertaining and we enjoyed talking to him. Drawbacks - it is relatively loud and the tables are a bit too close together. Overall, a great find in the Heights. Will definitely be back with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We came during Restaurant and 3 of us tried almost everything on hrw menu. Excellent! Cant wait to come back!Special Features:
- Meh... turned to regretjsbrouDined on 8/23/2014The food was decent, but nothing at all memorable. The service was good overall, but our particular waiter left a lot to be desired. We dined during Houston Restaurant Weeks (HRW), but the HRW menu was not even offered. A nearby table asked our waiter if that menu was available. He acted shocked and completely irritated that they were going to order off of that menu. He left their table muttering obscenities under his breath. Meanwhile, he was trying to sell us on "specials" that were actually items from the HRW menu that we could have had for way cheaper had we ordered them off of the HRW menu. Bottom line: There are so many wonderful restaurants in Houston, why waste your time/money at an over-priced, mediocre one?
- Hip but NOISYgenuinefoodieDined on 8/22/2014Restaurant has a bistro type vibe & architecture very in vogue - quite liked it. The poor ambiance rating is due to the noise level. With full glass frontage, high ceilings, & concrete floors the noise level was the highest we've experienced in a restaurant of this caliber. Music played but was only audible in the restroom, so if conversation is important while dining you may want to skip a Friday or Saturday night dining here. Having said this, our food was VERY good and service was equally good.Special Features:
- good place for good foodcgarridoDined on 8/22/2014It was a nice place to have dinner. A little loud but great service and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovestoeatateddievsDined on 8/21/2014We went to try this restaurant because of their interesting menu for Houston Restaurants Week. The food was very good but sparse and the $45 was a little pricey for what we received. It should have been in the $35 category for HRW. The desserts were delicious and nicely portioned. Our server was severely lacking in charm. She removed our wine glasses before we were finished without asking and we were never even offered coffee to go with our dessert. While I probably would recommend the restaurant to people that have never been, there are so many others that I would recommend first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodFoodLoverDined on 8/20/20143 of us dined out for restaurant week. This restaurant had been on my list for 3 years and I had high expectations. They did not disappoint. The jumbo lump blue crab cake was so delicate with a light hint of citrus. The hereford filet was perfectly cooked (medium rare) and perfectly seasoned. It outshone everything else on the plate. The best dessert was hands down the cherry cordial/chocolate bread pudding which was warm and moist all the way through and warm chocolate oozed with every bite.Special Features:
- excellent food, but too loudtxchicVIPDined on 8/20/2014I ordered off the Houston Restaurant Weeks menu and enjoyed the Lobster Ravioli, Corn-crusted Red Snapper and bread pudding. My husband chose to order off the regular menu and selected the Spring Wedding Soup and Beef Short Ribs, both of which he liked. While the dishes were all perfectly executed, and the service was impeccable, the loud noise level made it difficult for us to relax. We had to yell across the table at each other.Special Features:
- bettydDined on 8/20/2014Awesome food and outstanding service. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best foot forward for HRWOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/20/2014GW served up some of my favorites for HRW. The beet salad tastes as good as it looks and the paella rich and loaded with seafood. Beautiful presentation. Don't miss the chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!RLBTX3Dined on 8/19/2014I tried Glass Wall during last year's Restaurant Week and the menu was the same from what I could tell. Last year I got the crab cakes for appetizer and it was fantastic. This year I got the veal and WOW! The veal was tender and the risotto underneath was magical. For my entree both times I got the snapper and it was excellent as well. This year the side veggies were better, very well seasoned with lots of garlic. I loved it. I tried the chocolate cake for dessert and it was good, but pretty standard though. Last year I had their bread pudding and it was exceptional. I'd definitely recommend that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodTGuessDined on 8/19/2014After some issues with OpenTable trying to change my reservation the restaurant owner called and told me he could accomodate. The menu options are a delightful departure from the norm and everything was perfectly prepared and tasted delicious. It is not a romantic place as there is no sound absorbing materials and noise level was very high. I was surprised that being a Tuesday night the place was packed and everyone was talking. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable about wine pairing and food choices. Overall, it was a most enjoyable evening and when I told the waiter it was my dates birthday he made it a memorable occasion for her. This restaurant is certainly worth your attention and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!Luv2dineDined on 8/17/2014We love trying new restaurants, and we will definitely be going back to Glass Wall! Food and ambience were wonderful! The pork chop was amazing and it was a very popular even for a Sunday night! Very fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchMJLFROGVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food is always good here. We had not done the Sunday Brunch (they have only been doing it for a few months), and it was delightful. The beverages are very reasonably priced, and the food and service are outstanding. Give it a try; I don't think you will be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!!!PeanutDined on 8/16/2014Great place just warm at times and could have been cooler!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkCjandcjDined on 8/16/2014Nowadays, with Romany new restaurants in Houston and the price of eating out goes up; I have very high expectations where I eat out. Food was good, not great. Service was better but not 5 star. Would recommend for everyone to try once, but I personally would not go back. Only because I have very high expectations: to eat out costs >$100 for a couple because of wine (only 1 glass), dessert (sharing one also), I expect 5 star food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentwoolfhoundDined on 8/15/2014Glass Wall has the staying power of a reliably great dinner spot - the food is excellent, the service is good, and the feeling is energetic but not obnoxiously loud or scene-ish. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic twosome - but for a small group of friends to get together, it's perfect. The extensive wine list is a big plus also - check out a South African pinotage (we love that it's one of the relatively few places in town to find South African wines).Special Features:
- deliciousjennerDined on 8/13/2014My friend Brandi and I had an amazing dinner at Glass Wall. Valet, service, wine, and food were excellent! Will definitely be back. It was slightly crowded and pretty loud but overall a great experience.Special Features:
- EetmoreDined on 8/13/2014Great place! They must have the best Houston restaurant week menu on offer. The lobster ravioli appetizer is something to dream about. We've been going here for years and the food is consistently good. Only drawback is that the restaurant is very LOUD. It can be hard to hold a conversation on a night when the restaurant is full.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Glass Wall was one of the better meals I've had in a long time. I truly enjoy the pairing that for each course.Special Features:
- Houston Restaurant Weeks findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My wife and I went during Houston Restaurant Weeks for the first time and really enjoyed it. The server made a great recommendation, we were seated right away, food timing was perfect and delicious. We look forward to going back for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodBellaDined on 8/12/2014Our waiter was nice at first, but never checked on us. We were there for our 36th anniversary . Food was lacking a lot of flavor. Desserts were ok.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/12/2014Food was excellent. The service as PERFECT. We had a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch!DinnerDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Best brunch I've had in many years! Chef Jorge has prepared a wonderful menu with many enticing items. We chose the lobster eggs benedict & the crab cake with fried eggs. The lobster eggs benedict was delicious: tender lobster, creamy holandaise, & a side of smoked gouda grits. The crab cake with fried eggs & sides (brekfast potatoes and sausage links) shouln't be missed: the generous crab cake is made with flaky succulent crab meat and a minimum of bread crumb binder giving it the right crunch and texture. And the pitcher of peachy prosecco cooler (similar to a blini) was the right choice with the meal. Isidro and Alex were attentive, professional, and friendly, as always. Go to brunch, already!Special Features:
- Stuck with a slow serverbusyjenDined on 8/8/2014Let me first say, the food here was fantastic and my husband and I both really enjoyed our meal. Unfortunately, we had a server that was very slow... and it seemed to just be him. Tables around us sat after us, were served before us, and left well before us. We waited for drinks to arrive, although he did take the drink order shortly after we sat down. Then, when he finally came back to deliver drinks, we had a question on the menu and he disappeared to go ask and didn't come back for 15 minutes! Once he took our order, the appetizer was quick, but then they were slow bring the main course, slow to bring the dessert and... when we were clearly finished and were obviously looking around, another 15 mins to get our final check. UGH, too long!Special Features:
- Great place for a nice date night!Iceman42Dined on 8/7/2014I brought my date here and neither one of us had been here before. Turned out to be a very nice evening. All the food was outstanding as well as the selection of wine. Definitely glad we decided to try it out and I'm sure we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st visitTwallDined on 8/7/2014The Great Wall is a really nice place and allows for vibrant scenery. The food was good and our waited was very nice. There was very little wait time among the dishes we choose, and the dessert was really good.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week gemtcfitz3Dined on 8/7/2014Glass Wall has always been amazing, but the Restaurant Weeks menus was so much fun. Our group ordered so many different things and enjoyed the food, the service, and the wine. Vibrant, full of energy, and a fun place to watch people and enjoy amazing food at reasonable prices. What else could a foodie want?Special Features:
- Excellent food!SpaniardDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I tried this place out during restaurant week and it was fantastic! The price can add up, but the food was definitely worth it. Make sure to try the bread pudding...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great serviceluvtotrynewplacesDined on 8/2/2014The food was good and our waitress was excellent. It was a little bit noisy but the ambiance was really nice. We sat outside on the patio for an after dinner drink and it was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.