17300 Pacific Coast Hwy
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 3104543474x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 11am-9pm, Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 9am-10pm, Sun 9am-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Sunset Blvd
- Public Transit: The 540 Metro Bus stops directly in front of our restaurant at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Pacific Coast Highway.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet service is offered in the Gladstones parking lot at $5.50 for restaurant patrons. Handicap parking is free Mon-Thu (all day) and Fri until 5pm.
A word from Gladstones Malibu
In a world where landmarks are few and far between there is Gladstones. Situated where Sunset Boulevard meets the Pacific Coast Highway, it's become a place of Southern California legend. Gladstones offers a menu plucked from the very ocean it overlooks, serving modern renditions of classic dishes. In its typically relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere, there's something to satisfy every palate. Whether you're at the raw bar, the lounge, the dining rooms or the grand patio over-looking the surf, it's commonly agreed there's no better place, either up the coast or down, to enjoy fresh seafood, a Mai Tai or a sunset. Gladstones has been named an "Editor's Pick" in Sunset Magazine, one of Gayot.com's "Top 10 Outdoor Dining Restaurants" in L.A. and one of CBS Los Angeles's "Best Seafood" restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Gladstones Malibu - Best Restaurants in Pacific Palisades ›
Gladstones Malibu reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (200)great for outdoor dining (172)special occasion (91)great for lunch (81)good for groups (76)kid-friendly (68)romantic (68)great for brunch (62)hot spot (33)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (14)notable wine list (10)Show More
- OutstandingTakasdenDined on 8/31/2014Great experience and we had the best waiter of all timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Whilst Gladstones remains a family favourite, for it's location right next to the sea, the food and service have become increasingly disappointing. My basket of fish & chips were cold & limp & although they changed the dish our waiter never even came to see what the problem was. The waiters generally seemed uninspired & we heard the exact same lines used over & over again at tables......" Hi my name is......is this your first time to Gladstones ?" ......it's just all a bit too "robotic" & insecere. The location & prices really deserve better !!!Special Features:
- Dining With FriendsQueen46Dined on 8/30/2014The occasion was simple, getting together with friends you hadn't seen for a while, the weather was fantastic and the location made it even better. Our dining experience was in the outside patio area, our severer was a young man with a great personality, he was professional throughout, polite and courteous with great customer service skills.. We started with drinks and appetizers' which were very good, our main course was fine but our absolute favorite part of the meal was the dessert which was a trio of sorbet's. The colors were rich and very pleasing to the eye and the flavors were all favorites of ours, we savored every morsel. Great afternoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View and Good FoodOCFoodieDined on 8/29/2014If you like the ocean this is the place to go...get a table on the water (which there are many) and just enjoy the sounds of the surf...everything we ordered was great (the popcorn shrimp, crab cakes, an specially, specially the scallops - all appetizers and we shared)...our waiter was very friendly and kept checking back with us so we didn't feel neglected. And the dessert--- the ice cream sunday is the way to go.Special Features:
- Great business dinner place!BondoDined on 8/28/2014Best ocean view, tasty food, and great service for business dinner. Things have certainly improved from a few years ago! Thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Like most places with a great viewAmyOCDined on 8/23/2014Food decent enough. Clam chowder was more like clam cream. Oysters were terrific. Lobster was HUGE bigger than expected. Seared spicy tuna good. Thai shrimp decent. Strawberry mojito was great. Mai tai meh. We ate at the booths near the bar. Table so high it was hard to eat. Had to stand up to crack lobster. Service wasn't great. It was in the bar area, but bar was pretty empty. The tin foil to go guy was funny. We left with an enormous shark carrying a mermaid. Your definitely paying for the view here.Special Features:
- Great afternoonStuartVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food with find service! That sounds a great place to go during the middle of the week. It's not crowded you can get a great view of the ocean and just relax! I think the seafood tower is the best value on their menu.Special Features:
- Great location and view...food sad.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Had an amazing time with my family. Too bad the food is pathetic. Especially for the price. When we left we drove up the coast and several other locations were packed. Not the case at Gladstones. I guess others already knew that though.Special Features:
- Ideal Breathtaking Culinary Venue!PatrickFlanaganDined on 8/20/2014Was visiting LA & asked some friends where would be an ideal spot to go for dinner. There was no hesitancy in their suggestion: Gladstones in Malibu. Always willing to take a risk, we went to Gladstones and we were not disappointed. First of all, the venue is breathtaking, especially if you are there at sunset to take in the beauty of creation. The food was rich and delicious. We had the clam chowder *filled* with fresh fish and then the incredibly delectable fish and chips (trust me you gotta try it - nothing "average" about it!). To to the evening off, the service staff, in addition to our own server Francisco, was quite attentive and punctually solicitous. Gladstones is a winner! I would not go back to LA w/o dining there again.Special Features:
- mjltVIPDined on 8/19/2014Incredible view of the ocean. Loved the animal foil wrapping for the to-go food.Special Features:
- FoodCDstcharlesDined on 8/17/2014The food was mediocre at best.The claim chowder extremely thick,lacked clams!The macadamia shrimp very greasy & tasteless.Way too much breading for small shrimp; wanted lobster but all they had were 3lb. lobsters!Very disappointed.My husband ordered claim chowder, which they forgot to bring but just as well after tasting mine.I basically did not eat anything except the appetizer we shared which was crab cakes, they were very good as was the calamari.Second time here; had not so good experience first time but wanted to give it a second chance. Celebrating our daughter's b'day, which I indicated on Open Table but they did nothing;with a reservation they told us 45 min. wait;then changed their minds & gave us a table. Unorganized! Never again!Special Features:
- CelebrationMaggsDined on 8/17/2014Early dinner to celebrate a birthday. Great service, very pleasant staff. We dined outdoors to enjoy the view. Food was very good. Swordfish was excellent. Also enjoyed mango cheesecake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!MarcVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were vacationing in Southern California. This place is a must do if you're planning on visiting Malibu. Good service - good food - amazing location. The place is a landmark. I remember being there about 20 years ago and it's GROWN but the food is actually better than I remember. We had a great time. Plan ahead though because the traffic in and around Pacific Coast Highway can be brutal...Special Features:
- Great Location but Limited MenuSpikermikeVIPDined on 8/16/2014It seems that the menu selection was limited in comparison to the last time we were here. Although still very good I was looking for some fried shell fish (oysters, scallops, shrimp) like in a fisherman's platter but they only had deep fried cod. They also had a photographer last time and we wanted to take another picture as a follow-up souvenier to last time but this was not available. Not a big deal but a little disappointed that the experience changed and our expectations were not met. But it still had the wonderful ocean view and vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic LocationRomanticDiningDined on 8/10/2014Beautiful ocean views and fantastic food. Staff was extremely friendly and the experience was unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Got there in time for our reservation and then had to wait another 20 minutes. Sat down and were given bread and water but didn't have any utensils. Ask another waitress for some utensils (ours was busy) and she snapped saying she needed a minute gave us one set and left. The rest of our dinner was fine. We didn't receive a bucket for shells until the dinner was half over. Our server was sweet and great the last half of the meal when things died down.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMtkelly8898Dined on 8/9/2014We went there for our 16th wedding anniversary. We were originally seated inside the restaurant but not near a window. We saw a window booth open and they let us move. My twins loved sitting by the window. My twins told the waiter it was my anniversary so they brought us out the most delicious brownie sundae dessert. Lastly the foil creations were incredible. One girl got a seahorse and the other one got a dolphin. We will be back forsure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, wonderful foodTDTarzanaDined on 8/9/2014We had a great experience at Gladstones in Malibu. The food was outstanding. Great dinner and lunch spot. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A Plate Vegetarians Will LoveOmeletJoyDined on 8/9/2014The veggie omelet was perfectly done. The spinach, mushrooms and cheese were perfectly distributed, which made for a flavorful enjoyment of every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- priceyfortcruzDined on 8/8/2014I expected a higher price because of the location. I was surprised to find even a higher price than that. I have been to Gladstones Malibu a few times in the past and it seems to have taken a turn for the snoody from the great time, great food, relaxed atmosphere from before. Missed the peanuts and large glass cocktails. The "greek" sauce that came with my salmon was not good. The salmon itself was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the eveningluv2dineDined on 8/7/2014Food was very good, but I was surprised by how high the prices have arisen since my last visit. I expected them to be considerably below Mastro's and I was surprised that they are not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- occdocVIPDined on 8/4/2014good but not great fish but sitting outside by the ocean while dining doesn't get any better. I had a great whole fish last time 55 dollars but worth it.SERVICE is wonderful. Reception not.Special Features:
- Great location, overpricedLmfrankelDined on 8/3/2014The location is beautiful! Service and food were mediocre. Food was fine but way overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- Lovely Evening.ClassyfluteDined on 8/2/2014Great evening. Good food, great service, lovely view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu ChangednightlootDined on 8/2/2014I wasn't prepared for the menu changed and I'm sure that I like this place anymore. The food was blah and being with family and friends is the only thing that made this experience good.Special Features:
- Fantastic view and foodharlsmitsVIPDined on 7/31/2014Went here for lunch w/ my boss from out of town and some colleagues. The food was great, I'm not usually a seafood person but the fried shrimp and the curry shrimp were fantastic. The service was very friendly, although we had to ask a few times for water; if you want something you should flag someone down rather than waiting for someone to come to you. Also, if you want an outdoor table, definitely make a reservation on Open Table first! The Malibu Sling was great.Special Features:
- Awesome!CBluvs2eatDined on 7/27/2014Hadn't been in years, and it was a little more casual and 'beachy' than I remembered, but it was perfect for us, after a day of LA sight-seeing, to come as we were dressed and enjoy a lovely southern California sunset like only the Malibu beach can provide! Food was great, service was great, food is a bit overpriced ($20 something for a burger, and on up for more exciting entrees) but their kids menu was $5 and was as big a portion of pasta as my teenaged son got with his $20something order of pasta! Overall, it was a great visit, and it will always be my go-to restaurant when wanting to dine at the SoCal beach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gladstone's Malibu not the sameUsed2beDined on 7/27/2014Food is still great, ambience not the same. It's like "Fisherman's Wharf", too noisy and not as "classy" anymore. Had a reservation and was told to wait until something opens up(waited for 1/2 hour). Excuse me?? Isn't that what reservation's about - NO Waiting! Other than that, the bartender and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Use To Be!BenhilDined on 7/27/2014Have dined here a few times over the past twenty years and until now have always enjoyed the experience. My visit on Sunday presented dirty tables with food bits that remained on the table being wiped off onto the floor. The greet/wait staff were nice but were fit for a Red Lobster instead of a high-end (based on prices) restaurant. The menu of the day didn't resemblance the one presented online. There was no Shrimp Scampi, there was no Lobster Tail/Petite Filet, there was no Wedge Salad and we were not happy with the quality of what we were presented. Will not be going there again!Special Features:
- Great service!.ClarenceDined on 7/26/2014Your Manager Paul Williams and all of your servers are the best! I dine out a lot however, when I go to Gladstones in PP, they always find time to come over and say hello and make me feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great Food & Views2foodiesDined on 7/26/2014Had a great dinner with boyfriend this past weekend, awesome crabcakes! Drinks were also good! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORST Meal In LAOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/26/2014I'm honestly not trolling...Gladstones is the WORST meal in LA- overpriced mediocre seafood for tourists and people who don't know better. Overcooked crab legs, dry salmon, wine with cork in the glass, a dessert serving plate with someone else's nasty old food stuck on it!!! Seriously, skip Gladstones and head straight to the Reel Inn or Maestro's Ocean Club.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014the food leaves a lot to be desired. My friend ordered clam chowder, tasted like a lot of flour based soup and very little clam taste. My fish and chips: fish ok, but chips soggy. Ambiance great, waiters great, the best experience was watching the doggie bag art work. Definitely not for foodies but a landmark for tourists and scenery.....Special Features:
- Always a good timePaulfromOBDined on 7/26/2014This is a great place to take friends and family at the end of a day touring LA. Sunset all the way down till you hit the water. Order the calamari as a meal instead of an appetizer and share sides with others, they give you a ton! Great food, fun family atmosphere with easy access to the beach for a stroll or a swim.Special Features:
- Satisfy the eyes and stomachBlackLabelVIPDined on 7/23/2014Thank goodness Gladstone's doesn't just rely on its (amazing) scenery to capture diners. They might be able to get away with it, given the large windows overlooking the waves and sunset. Instead, they also give visitors fresh made bread, rich butter, a limited but solid selections of wine by the glass, and a range of fresh and delicious foods. As a vegetarian I don't always have options in seafood restaurants (or am confined to chef's salads); but Gladstone's had options and clearly put just as much care into those dishes as they do into their signature catches (which my companion opted to order). A great place to settle in for dinner with good company, after a day in Malibu and while dodging traffic back to LA.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Brought our friends here to celebrate their anniversary, great spot, have been here twice and will be back again, the ceviche was great!!!Special Features:
- The view is beautiful!BobbiDined on 7/22/2014We are New Yorkers who were in LA on vacation and have been to Gladstone's before on previous trips. The food is very good and the location and view beautiful. The service was a little lax. The staff was friendly and cordial but could have done a little better job. The bread came very late to the table and I had to remind the waitress about a drink that I had ordered. After our dinner we took a walk on the beach which topped off the dinner. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have an enjoyable dinner and a taste of the beautiful California coast.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceSteveDined on 7/22/2014When friends from back east come to visit, we always try to take the to Gladstone's for lunch. It's such a California experience, right on the beach, good food, great ambience, great place to talk and have drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view...MediaTravelerDined on 7/21/2014We've been coming to Gladstones for many years, and while some changes have been positive, such as getting rid of the cement benches on the patio, other changes to the menu have been less than perfect. The view is great and the valet parking is both spacious and helpful, but the food is average or less. The staff is friendly but hardly attentive. The price is comparatively high for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Gladstone"s MalibuvegatheartDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I had just picked up our guest from LAX and proceeded on the Gladstone's. I had made a reservation 3 days prior with a request to sit at a ocean view table....Well thats what we got , plus a 3 minute wait to be seated and also scored with awesome service and good food. Thanks Glandstone's for this awesome experience!Special Features: