1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://gjelina.com/
- Phone: 3104501429
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Travis Lett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining available for parties of 10-14.
A word from Gjelina
Farm to Table American Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Gjelina - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
Gjelina reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (96)hot spot (80)great for outdoor dining (75)neighborhood gem (69)special occasion (47)romantic (27)great for brunch (25)good for groups (21)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Haughty, though we always return.CindaciousDined on 9/16/2014When visiting Santa Monica/Venice from San Francisco we gravitate to the uber hip Gjelina for our first night dinner. Not sure why considering the spotty and haughty service, starting from the hostess stand. Also the noise level is off the charts unless you can score a patio table. It is the extensive menu that brings us back; a wonderful list of small plates using fresh and unique ingredients. On our most recent visit we ordered the kale with sunflower seeds and pecorino salad, grilled prawns, mussels and salted pot de creme. All were outstanding. We of course will return and expect the arrogant, if not snotty service from the 20 something year olds. Us being 50 something year olds are very cool...and patient.Special Features:
- AMAZING FOODNycfoodie44VIPDined on 9/15/2014Get the duck confit! Some of the best duck I have ever had! The lamb sausage pizza was amazing as well. Dinner was topped off by the amazing dessert, pot de Creme. Definitely go there!!! I will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints at all.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Our table was ready on time. We had a great 2 top in the back patio area. It was perfect seating and our service was fantastic. Her name was Erin I believe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Food was quite good, although the duck was a bit dry. It is VERY noisy, so I wouldn't suggest it for someone who is hard of hearing!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantruvyDined on 9/6/2014Food and service is fantastic, everything we ate was wonderful. Great service and a lot of fun. We'll be back!Special Features:
- GjeliciousweatzelDined on 9/5/2014I live in NY and travel to LA once or twice a year on business. Whenever I'm in town, I try as hard as I can to fit dinner at Gjelina into the schedule and it never disappoints. The dishes are simple and the ingredients are really allowed to shine. I am drooling right now, just thinking about my most recent meal.Special Features:
- Great Food ... Eh ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Food is consistently amazing! Love it! Always fresh, and the spices tantalize every time. I return for the food... not so much for the service. I was there to celebrate my sister's birthday. I let the restaurant know in advance via OpenTable and via phone. They didn't do a thing. Didn't even comp the "tiny" dessert. It's the little stuff... was very disappointed that after a $215 bill and there wasn't the slightest bit of fanfare.Special Features:
- WowsosorryDined on 9/2/2014$100 for two pizzas and two glasses of wine. Server lacked ability to smile and show she was there to make our dining experience pleasant. The air was filled with frenetic noise, energy and vibe. Too bad my daughter and I were there to eat great food and be able to visit. Don't go if that's what you want. Now I know.Special Features:
- Gjelina never disappointsRosieVIPDined on 8/31/2014I've only been to Gjelina a handful of times but it has been amazing every time! I've always sat on the patio, which for me is best, inside can be pretty loud, hard to hold a conversation. My last visit on 8/31/14 was to celebrate completing my first 1/2 marathon that morning, and our meal was exactly what I was hoping for, a little indulgent with every dish including Lamb Pizza, Pork Belly, Albacore, and Scallops were perfectly prepared and delicious! To finish the Butterscotch Pot de Creme, perfect balance of sweet and salty, I almost licked the little jar clean ; ) Bonus that this fabulous restaurant is in our neighborhood, I just wish it didn't take so long to get a reservation! Kudos to the chefs I'm an absolute fan!!Special Features:
- Uber Good FoodjswillyDined on 8/30/2014Amazing food and wine! Had the steak with haricot verts and cauliflower as sides. Spectacular! Glad we chose this place for our anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Uncaring Service and Mediocre FoodGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014We live in LA proper, so a hike to get here and deal with parking. Definitely not worth the drive. We had an early reservation, told our table wasn't ready (entire restaurant was basically empty). Kept us waiting (standing room along the wall) 15 mins past our booking time and then sat us at one of the 10 empty tables that's been empty the entire time! While waiting, suggested we order an drink, no waiter ever came by. The food was pricey and consistently under seasoned and either over or under cooked. Pizza: crust was burnt and bottom was barely cooked (go to Stella Barra or Mozza instead), Crudo: good fish, under seasoned (prefer son of a gun or Sugarfish), salt & pepper frites: had no such seasonings (try Repulique instead).Special Features:
- Splendid!velcroVIPDined on 8/22/2014By far the best restaurant on the West side! Every morsel is delectable - attention to detail is like a fine dining establishments, but without the stuffiness and exorbitant prices. Freshness abounds!!!Special Features:
- Trendiest restaurant in LACupcakeDined on 8/20/2014Don't miss out on the pizza! The heirloom tomato salad is also fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, nom nom nomOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014My boyfriend and i had an awesome dinner! Food is always amazing there. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The food is amazing here. We ordered a variety of items, which were all delicious, fresh and unique. They have a special drink with ginger and white wine that is a must have! Our waiter, Joshua, was friendly and kind. Ordering a variety of plates, the food seemed to be timed perfectly as it come to our table. Great place for a romantic date or a small group of friends.Special Features:
- Bruit de mode , cuisine chicSatoDined on 8/13/2014C'était une immersion dans le LA -Venice nouveau pas hippie mais hype. Décor de nuit magnifique et bruit infernal. Il faut souvent renoncer à parler pour consommer. Reflet des techniques de marketing cool très efficaces: se noyer dans un flux total de bruit et de succès , succion de consommation élitiste où l'argent fait le tri du bon goût . C'est très bon quand même, aussi bon que l'illusion d'être vraiment au monde parfois, d'être rarement au monde et de manger pour être vu en existant .Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2014Great food, great ambiance and great scene. We took out of town guests here and Gjelina never disappoints. Our waiter was a little snooty, but his recommendations were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before and againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Had great food here four years ago. More popular than ever so had to resort to GTA for one meal but managed to get a reservation on last night at 21:30. Still great vibe and although service slow as so busy food was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and trendyCMgirlDined on 8/7/2014Despite my OpenTable reservation, Gjelina required a confirmation phone call, and I apparently was not quick enough to return it (less than 24 hours). They note that they will release the reservation if you do not confirm via phone. Also, altho they will call before 10 am, you may not each anyone until after 10 am (& British accent on the answering machine. Really?) In terms of ambience, the restaurant is relatively small with closely spaced tables and all hard surfaces. Do not expect to have a conversation if you are seated inside. The food on the other hand, was delicious. We shared a pizza, salad, and appetizer and all were very well-done. I would recommend getting an outside table to avoid the noise and cramped atmosphere.
- Amazing!LuvGR8foodDined on 7/30/2014Gjelina was everything my friend and go had hoped it would be. The food was amazing and we are glad it was our first meal in Venice! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful ...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/28/2014Great, interesting food, beautiful outdoor seating and friendly staff. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrific serviceeurambabaDined on 7/19/2014Positives: The food is definitely good. Nothing to write home about, but good. The patio out back is also really nice and has a romantic ambience. Negatives: The service is an absolute joke. I've known 4 or 5 other people who have been, and everyone says the same thing. We had a 9:00 reservation and were forced to wait for a half hour, without so much as even an apology from the staff. Once we ordered, the waiter never ONCE came over to ask how our meal was or if we needed anything (I'm sure I would have ordered another drink, since my glass was empty within 5 minutes of when we sat down). From the hostesses to the wait staff, it's almost seems like it's restaurant policy to act like a complete dick. Def not worth returning.
- 2nd Time and Can't Wait for the 3rdNYBruceVIPDined on 7/19/2014Need to keep coming back for more in order to sample the many enticing dishes on the menu...Love the Peach Buratta...the Mixed Tomato Salad with lime...The Octopus....The Grilled Okra...and the Black Cod....Not so special was the Chickpea Stew and the Sardine but another wonderful experience and a reasonably fair corkage fee of $20....Special Features:
- Delicious & Awesome Atmosphere!cmccreeshDined on 7/17/2014Had been wanting to eat here for 2 years before I actually got in! Made a reservation a few weeks out for when a friend was going to be in town. Got the salmon (raw) and a mushroom pizza-phenomenal. Great atmosphere, a little loud but not awful. You sit pretty close to the other diners but it wasn't too uncomfortable. Would definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7812Dined on 7/15/2014Really enjoyed it. Great innovative food, friendly helpful service. Really recommend it.Special Features:
- Not so friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2014Wait staff was not very friendly while at the bar. Waiters and bus boys were way too quick to take our plates when we weren't done with the food yet. We felt like they were trying to rush us out. Food was great, but experience was mediocre at best.
- Amazing as alwaysGjelinafansDined on 7/13/2014Once again, a delicious, perfectly-cooked and seasoned dinner, served on a lovely patio. I am thoroughly impressed with Gjelina and I come to eat there whenever I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emperor's New Clothes?filmclipVIPDined on 7/12/2014We ordered a number of small plates to share. All very good. None earth shattering. And nothing that a competent home cook couldn't do with good quality ingredients. The service was borderline indifferent. We weren't asked how we were doing. No coffee refill. Check appeared unbidden before dessert finished. LOUD music. Am always annoyed too when food oozing with butter and sugar is served but there's no artificial sweetener (even Truvia or Stevia or something "natural") for coffee. My major issue was cleanliness. The paper menus were covered with stains as was the little paper packet the (early arrived) check was delivered in. Our reservation was an early one--5:30 but the bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months.Special Features:
- Outstanding WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014Our outstanding waitress was smart + focused on our food selections and enhanced our experience. Neat to see how one individual can make such an impact. The food was outstanding. A real experience that doesn't come along but once every couple of years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful--As AlwaysKaminariDined on 7/2/2014Gjelina continues to be one of the best restaurants in Los Angeles. Maybe even more important, it's also one of the most consistent. No restaurant has a range of vegetable dishes to compare. On the balance of the menu, from pizzas to pork belly, every dish is imaginative and well executed. And the desserts! Also, the servers we've had over the years have been excellent in terms of wine and food suggestions. And for a place as hip and trendy as Gjelina, it has remained relatively unpretentious (with the exception of a trophy hostess or two). Reserve early--it seems sometimes the only reservations available are at 5:30 and 9:30. Which does make me wonder sometimes who gets the 8 PM rez's, and how.Special Features:
- Surpassed ExpectationsljeanneDined on 6/30/2014While familiar with a few mixed reviews, our experience this week was outstanding. We were welcomed and seated on time, and never felt rushed despite a few folks waiting outside that we could see through the large windows. We opted for shared courses of plates ranging from sides to pizza to entree, and all had a range of flavors and textures that was wonderful, especially if you enjoy grilled and/or wood roasted smokiness. This was a birthday celebration and the deserts are worth the raves too! It is easy to see now why there has been a continuous wave of customers of this establishment ever since it opened; they made us extremely satisfied and happy. Memorable.Special Features:
- WonderfulTimHowardRocksDined on 6/30/2014Dined here on a recent weekday, early evening. Found street parking easily. Able to sit at a table on the pleasant outdoor patio. Food was stellar. Asparagus with crispy egg and pancetta as a starter, followed by the lamb pizza, with a delectable thin crust. Butterscotch dessert to follow. Only complaint was that the mark-up on wines by the glass was incredibly and unpleasantly high. $19 for the least expensive white. Cannot share a bottle since we have to drive, so less expensive options by the glass would be more driver-friendly.Special Features:
- Very good, but not great.MeetNWineDined on 6/24/2014Restaurant has a quaint outdoor seating area that's the perfect place for a date. The menu, though overpriced, was creative and the food was prepared exceptionally. Only negative was that our server was pretty condescending a few times.Special Features:
- eat2muchDined on 6/21/2014Good. I loved the food. Its a little loud (if you're an old guy like me) but I'd go back b/c the food was awesome. Mushroom toast and tomatoes and burrata both recommended. Cod was heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GjelinasHellllo22Dined on 6/20/2014Food was amazing, really good. However, the service annoyed me for how expensive the restaurant is. First, our reservation was not ready. We waited nearly 30 minutes to be seated after our reservation time. Second, a waiter dropped a drink near our table, the glass broke and wine went all over our legs. We barely got a sorry and the waiter said, "maybe you'll get a free desert." It was very rude and we didn't get a free desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2014We had a great time! Meggie, our waitress was fabulous!Special Features:
- Great food, amazing ambiencemunchtakiDined on 6/14/2014Came here for a date night with my wife. The food was very well executed, though there was nothing truly outside the box. The spaces/lighting/architecture of the building were fantastic. Would definitely consider returning for a second go around.
- Wanted to love itSantaMonicaladyDined on 6/11/2014Took an old friend from out of town who is a foodie from Virginia to Gjelina for the first time. Everything was great except my meal. My food was burned (black char on all of it, including the bread). My friend's meal was wonderful. I had to send mine back. I hope to try it again. Waiter said all of their food has that "rustic" char to it. I doubt that. A little burn on food is appetizing -- black charred burn to food is not. I had meatballs. I was so disappointed but will give it another try soon as I truly like everything else about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartinDined on 6/7/2014We hade reservations but had to wait about 30 minutes to get our table. Totally ok though since the drinks (The Oaxacan Angel) we ordered where while waiting really good. We where seated outside next to the fire and had a great evening. Ordered a bunch of small plates and dessert. Best was the smokey salmon crudo and the butterscotch pot the creme. Best dessert I've ever had. Lovely! We hight recommend Gjelina but make your reservations a cuople of weeks in advance and be prepared to wait for half an hour when you arrive.Special Features:
- Food great, disappointing serviceBillDKVIPDined on 6/5/2014This was my second time at the restaurant. Food was no doubt great but service was really disappointing, 15 mins after we ordered, the waiter came back and said the combination we ask for our pizza is not available! 15 mins later! Not acceptable so we had to skip the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.