1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://gjelina.com/
- Phone: 3104501429x
- Hours of Operation:
8am to Midnight Daily
Breakfast: 8am to 11am
Lunch: 11:30am to 3pm
Late Afternoon: 3pm to 5:30pm
Dinner: 5:30pm to 11pm
Late Night: 11pm to Midnight
Saturday and Sunday
Brunch: 8am to 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Travis Lett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Dining for large parties available 10-14 people.
Credit card required
A word from Gjelina
Farm to Table American Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Gjelina - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
Gjelina reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (110)hot spot (87)great for outdoor dining (75)neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (49)romantic (25)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (21)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (17)great for lunch (14)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good food, bad attitudesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The food was actually very good - the flavors were new and interesting, and the presentation was appealing as well. This could be a place where I would want to entertain out of town visitors, but I would be embarrassed by the "LA" attitude toward service. Really started off on the wrong note when the hostess insisted that our reservation request for a table outside "was not guaranteed." From the front door , it was easy to see that only half the patio tables were filled. Who were those tables for? For people with reservations? Great, that would be us. Why the game? Once we got past the hostess table (and overheard the party next to us complaining of the exact same treatment), the food really was great, but not enough to overcome the serviceSpecial Features:
- embeeDined on 10/18/2014The dinner was enjoyable. The food and atmosphere were good, but it was a bit expensive for a place that felt casual. It wasn't as special as the prices would indicate, but still a very nice place. Our table was also a bit awkwardly shaped which made conversation a bit of a challenge.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014They sat us 20 minutes late first saying our table was just getting set then after going in a second time they said the party had just finished paying their bill. No apology or comp drinks/snacks for the wait time. Once we got to the table it wasn't the one I had requested. Our waitress seemed rushed and didn't wait long enough for others to give their drink orders just me. Didn't come to check on us when we had our food and when I asked for my steak to be cooked through a little more because of my stomach issues with uncooked meat she gave me a weird look and immediately said no. Also they have multiple spelling and grammar mistakes on their menu. Overall it was extremely disappointing because I wanted to impress my out of town friends.Special Features:
- Amazing Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014All of the food was great oysters, vegetables, pork meatballs, but the mushroom pizza was definitely the best thing we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but LOUDAnonDined on 10/14/2014Great dinner overall but exhausting trying to carry on a conversation. The squash ravioli main dish was a tad on the heavy & sweet side for my taste, but everything else was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly NoisycookieDined on 10/7/2014I like the food but it's insanely noisy. Beyond "fun" noise. I couldn't hear my date at all and ended up with a stomach ache having to project so loudly. Not worth the stress. And honestly, if you're gonna serve french fries, have ketchup. The restaurant has a "no ketchup" policy. Oh lord.
- Delicious but indifferentDaveWhoLovesFoodVIPDined on 10/7/2014Love the food here, and that alone is reason to return. The service unfortunately is terrible - and has repeatedly been terrible. Not terrible in an affirmatively offensive way, but in an utterly indifferent way. You see your server once when she takes your order and then maybe again when it's time to order dessert. No checking in on the food and nothing more from the food runners than a single word ("cauliflower") as they quickly toss a dish on the table and scurry away. The hostess didn't even pull the table back from the banquette for my wife to be seated. I will still go back for the food, but that is in spite of the consistently underwhelming service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieofamericaDined on 10/5/2014Good but very crowded. A little understaffed and noisy but the food was different and delicious.Special Features:
- Lower your expectationsUnassumingCoupleVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was good. The wine list, so-so, optimized for distributor discounts. Our table was available forty minutes after our reservation. Our server mostly forgot us. We left a generous tip, but felt Gjelina was simply not worth the hassle. Have more fun with the food trucks!
- Almost PerfectSnapPeaVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food is exceptional because the quality of ingredients is so fresh and the combinations of spices are surprising and delicious. BUT the noise level is way too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much attitude for my taste.JpresskinVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food was fine a bit pretentious and quite rich. One small pizza and a few side dishes is enough for two. No caffeine served but very adventuresome drinks mostly mojito style.Special Features:
- Awesome selection, a bit saltyAlexDined on 9/29/2014An amazing variety of food - in size, health-level, cultural inspiration/spices, etc. However some of the dishes were extremely salty, like the lamb pasta. The apple strudel dessert was extremely delicious, and the nice waiter threw in a free pear sorbet too!Special Features:
- MOR1VIPDined on 9/28/2014Awesome outdoor patio. Great for vegetarians. Perfect date spot with a energetic vibe!Special Features:
- RudeFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 9/24/2014The hostess was incredibly rude. Requested a table that could accommodate us, my date had a cast on. She put is in this little corner table with a huff. Seating is right next to each other, tables are about 8 inches apart. You pretty much eat with others. We had the cheese plate which was a few slices and a splat of honey. The mussles were awesome. Prawns were acceptable... but for a small plate, why 3? Who gets the extra prawn? We were so looked over and uncomfortable with the seating we decided not to have an entre and skipped to dessert. Dry brownie thing. I'm sure our experience would have been better if the hostess had been kind. It just started off bad and didn't get any better with the continued non-service.Special Features:
- YanaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Don't have enough good words for the food at Gjelina! it was amazing! The place is super lively and popular, staff is nice and friendly. The wine list seemed strange to us, seems like they tried to make it unique but at some point were carried away.Special Features:
- Always a winnerCasaTeeDined on 9/18/2014This is a favorite place for my boyfriend and me. This time we took two friends and just had a wonderful time. All the staff is really nice. While it's trendy and hard to get into, the staff doesn't feel pretentious at all. If you don't do reservations, you wait for the communal table or a randomly open table (which doesn't happen often). The plates are all just great, have never gone wrong. They have this cauliflower right now w spicy stuff on it...amazing. Pizzas good! Everything...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haughty, though we always return.CindaciousDined on 9/16/2014When visiting Santa Monica/Venice from San Francisco we gravitate to the uber hip Gjelina for our first night dinner. Not sure why considering the spotty and haughty service, starting from the hostess stand. Also the noise level is off the charts unless you can score a patio table. It is the extensive menu that brings us back; a wonderful list of small plates using fresh and unique ingredients. On our most recent visit we ordered the kale with sunflower seeds and pecorino salad, grilled prawns, mussels and salted pot de creme. All were outstanding. We of course will return and expect the arrogant, if not snotty service from the 20 something year olds. Us being 50 something year olds are very cool...and patient.Special Features:
- AMAZING FOODNycfoodie44VIPDined on 9/15/2014Get the duck confit! Some of the best duck I have ever had! The lamb sausage pizza was amazing as well. Dinner was topped off by the amazing dessert, pot de Creme. Definitely go there!!! I will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints at all.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Our table was ready on time. We had a great 2 top in the back patio area. It was perfect seating and our service was fantastic. Her name was Erin I believe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too much waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Nice place, liked the scenery and food, but even though we had a reservation we had to wait for like 40 minutesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Food was quite good, although the duck was a bit dry. It is VERY noisy, so I wouldn't suggest it for someone who is hard of hearing!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantruvyDined on 9/6/2014Food and service is fantastic, everything we ate was wonderful. Great service and a lot of fun. We'll be back!Special Features:
- GjeliciousweatzelDined on 9/5/2014I live in NY and travel to LA once or twice a year on business. Whenever I'm in town, I try as hard as I can to fit dinner at Gjelina into the schedule and it never disappoints. The dishes are simple and the ingredients are really allowed to shine. I am drooling right now, just thinking about my most recent meal.Special Features:
- Great Food ... Eh ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Food is consistently amazing! Love it! Always fresh, and the spices tantalize every time. I return for the food... not so much for the service. I was there to celebrate my sister's birthday. I let the restaurant know in advance via OpenTable and via phone. They didn't do a thing. Didn't even comp the "tiny" dessert. It's the little stuff... was very disappointed that after a $215 bill and there wasn't the slightest bit of fanfare.Special Features:
- WowsosorryDined on 9/2/2014$100 for two pizzas and two glasses of wine. Server lacked ability to smile and show she was there to make our dining experience pleasant. The air was filled with frenetic noise, energy and vibe. Too bad my daughter and I were there to eat great food and be able to visit. Don't go if that's what you want. Now I know.Special Features:
- Gjelina never disappointsRosieVIPDined on 8/31/2014I've only been to Gjelina a handful of times but it has been amazing every time! I've always sat on the patio, which for me is best, inside can be pretty loud, hard to hold a conversation. My last visit on 8/31/14 was to celebrate completing my first 1/2 marathon that morning, and our meal was exactly what I was hoping for, a little indulgent with every dish including Lamb Pizza, Pork Belly, Albacore, and Scallops were perfectly prepared and delicious! To finish the Butterscotch Pot de Creme, perfect balance of sweet and salty, I almost licked the little jar clean ; ) Bonus that this fabulous restaurant is in our neighborhood, I just wish it didn't take so long to get a reservation! Kudos to the chefs I'm an absolute fan!!Special Features:
- Uber Good FoodjswillyDined on 8/30/2014Amazing food and wine! Had the steak with haricot verts and cauliflower as sides. Spectacular! Glad we chose this place for our anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Uncaring Service and Mediocre FoodGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014We live in LA proper, so a hike to get here and deal with parking. Definitely not worth the drive. We had an early reservation, told our table wasn't ready (entire restaurant was basically empty). Kept us waiting (standing room along the wall) 15 mins past our booking time and then sat us at one of the 10 empty tables that's been empty the entire time! While waiting, suggested we order an drink, no waiter ever came by. The food was pricey and consistently under seasoned and either over or under cooked. Pizza: crust was burnt and bottom was barely cooked (go to Stella Barra or Mozza instead), Crudo: good fish, under seasoned (prefer son of a gun or Sugarfish), salt & pepper frites: had no such seasonings (try Repulique instead).Special Features:
- ExcellentDavisFoodieVIPDined on 8/25/2014The octopus was tremendous. Smoky, tender. And the panna cotta was perfectly textured and beautifully lit up by the passion fruit. Noisy, but I was by myself and I didn't need to communicate with anyone, so it was fine for me.Special Features:
- Splendid!velcroVIPDined on 8/22/2014By far the best restaurant on the West side! Every morsel is delectable - attention to detail is like a fine dining establishments, but without the stuffiness and exorbitant prices. Freshness abounds!!!Special Features:
- Trendiest restaurant in LACupcakeDined on 8/20/2014Don't miss out on the pizza! The heirloom tomato salad is also fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, nom nom nomOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014My boyfriend and i had an awesome dinner! Food is always amazing there. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The food is amazing here. We ordered a variety of items, which were all delicious, fresh and unique. They have a special drink with ginger and white wine that is a must have! Our waiter, Joshua, was friendly and kind. Ordering a variety of plates, the food seemed to be timed perfectly as it come to our table. Great place for a romantic date or a small group of friends.Special Features:
- Bruit de mode , cuisine chicSatoDined on 8/13/2014C'était une immersion dans le LA -Venice nouveau pas hippie mais hype. Décor de nuit magnifique et bruit infernal. Il faut souvent renoncer à parler pour consommer. Reflet des techniques de marketing cool très efficaces: se noyer dans un flux total de bruit et de succès , succion de consommation élitiste où l'argent fait le tri du bon goût . C'est très bon quand même, aussi bon que l'illusion d'être vraiment au monde parfois, d'être rarement au monde et de manger pour être vu en existant .Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/9/2014Great food, great ambiance and great scene. We took out of town guests here and Gjelina never disappoints. Our waiter was a little snooty, but his recommendations were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before and againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Had great food here four years ago. More popular than ever so had to resort to GTA for one meal but managed to get a reservation on last night at 21:30. Still great vibe and although service slow as so busy food was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and trendyCMgirlDined on 8/7/2014Despite my OpenTable reservation, Gjelina required a confirmation phone call, and I apparently was not quick enough to return it (less than 24 hours). They note that they will release the reservation if you do not confirm via phone. Also, altho they will call before 10 am, you may not each anyone until after 10 am (& British accent on the answering machine. Really?) In terms of ambience, the restaurant is relatively small with closely spaced tables and all hard surfaces. Do not expect to have a conversation if you are seated inside. The food on the other hand, was delicious. We shared a pizza, salad, and appetizer and all were very well-done. I would recommend getting an outside table to avoid the noise and cramped atmosphere.
- Amazing!LuvGR8foodDined on 7/30/2014Gjelina was everything my friend and go had hoped it would be. The food was amazing and we are glad it was our first meal in Venice! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful ...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/28/2014Great, interesting food, beautiful outdoor seating and friendly staff. Overall, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, horrific serviceeurambabaDined on 7/19/2014Positives: The food is definitely good. Nothing to write home about, but good. The patio out back is also really nice and has a romantic ambience. Negatives: The service is an absolute joke. I've known 4 or 5 other people who have been, and everyone says the same thing. We had a 9:00 reservation and were forced to wait for a half hour, without so much as even an apology from the staff. Once we ordered, the waiter never ONCE came over to ask how our meal was or if we needed anything (I'm sure I would have ordered another drink, since my glass was empty within 5 minutes of when we sat down). From the hostesses to the wait staff, it's almost seems like it's restaurant policy to act like a complete dick. Def not worth returning.