1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://gjelina.com/
- Phone: (310) 450-1429
- Hours of Operation:
8am to Midnight Daily
Breakfast: 8am to 11am
Lunch: 11:30am to 3pm
Late Afternoon: 3pm to 5:30pm
Dinner: 5:30pm to 11pm
Late Night: 11pm to Midnight
Saturday and Sunday
Brunch: 8am to 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Travis Lett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Dining for large parties available 10-14 people.
Credit card required
A word from Gjelina
Farm to Table American Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Gjelina - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
Gjelina reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (113)hot spot (93)neighborhood gem (70)great for outdoor dining (68)special occasion (43)romantic (27)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (21)great for brunch (17)late-night find (11)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- great food....not impressed with service.teacher13Dined on 11/20/2014We asked our server for a recommendation between two items on the menu and he said "whatever you ask for, I am just going to say yes...order it." After he took our order we told him to bring all the food out at once. He brought the vegetarian plates out first and almost 45 minutes later came the two meat dishes.....way after the non-meat eaters ate. Very poor planning. The food was delicious though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GjelinavikingDined on 11/18/2014The food is tasty and nicely prepared. The service at the table was very good. But the noise level is obnoxious. All hard surfaces and lots of loud talking made it impossible to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Venice LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Love this spot as I live in Venice, but made a 815 reservation for 4, changed it to 6. The time changed to 845 which I totally understand because we added people, but we didn't get seated till 920, and we still got a small table only comfortable for 4 people easy. I get it, its a hot spot, but when you spend as much money as people spend there i need some elbow room. everything was great besides that, food, service, but would have liked to of not had my girlfriends plate in my lap. good thing my friends are from New York so used to this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic, but not intimate or quietBrettDined on 11/16/2014My date and I had a great experience at Gjelina. The ambience was modern and trendy, but still romantic and cozy, and we had no trouble making conversation in spite of the noise around us. Our waiter was somewhat slow to take our drink orders, and our drinks came out very slowly. After taking our food order (within a few moments of taking our drink order: thumbs up), our food came out within a reasonable time. The food itself was delicious. My date's pork belly was some of the most tender pork either of us had ever tasted, although the portions were rather small. I got a duck sausage pizza, which was very tasty and a good size. Our drinks were very tasty and high-quality. For the two of us, our total bill was about $79 before tip, which I felt was somewhat steep given the portion sizes, but at the same time, the comfortable, upscale ambience and high quality of the food and drinks served made the price reasonable, and the wait staff was very prompt for the most part. It was an excellent place for a first date, fun enough to keep things interesting, but at the same time, conversation-friendly. It would also be an awesome place for a small group of friends. We loved it and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014The food was incredible! Service not so much. I ordered a glass of wine and I had to finally ask where it was and she said it was going to be brought out with the main course. Don't you want me to order a second glass? Especially at $25.00 a glass? My husband and I had the pork belly and it just melted in your mouth. We also ordered the duck sausage pizza that was incredible, crispy with just the right amount of cheese and sausage. Wonderful!! I was still thinking about the dinner the next day, it was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenniferDined on 11/9/2014I have been to Gjelina a couple of times and am never disappointed with the food. It can take a while to get a reservation , so book ahead of time. We shared the Swiss chard salad, brussel sprouts, pizza with gruyere cheese and carmelized onions, mushroom toast ( I never tire of this delicious dish), and the pork belly. Then we had the butterscotch pot de creme for dessert. All the dishes were great! The problem with Gjelina is that it's so hard to get in and so hard to decide what to eat!Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner!JaneElizabethDined on 11/5/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated my birthday here on Wednesday evening. I booked a reservation in advance, since I know it would be difficult to get a table here with it being as popular as it is. We had a great time. The service was fabulous - our server recommended specific dishes for us, and we tried a salad he pointed out. We loved it. He was also very knowledgeable about the wine, which was also delicious. I love a lively, energetic dining scene, so it definitely wasn't a quiet, intimate affair, but I prefer that vibe anyway. Overall, everyone was nice and pleasant. It was a fun night with good food and good service.Special Features:
- Food was too oily.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014Food was not as good as it used to be. Everything was extra oily.Special Features:
- Great FoodRyanDined on 10/29/2014We made reservations, arrived early and were seated right away. Tables are pretty close knit together - you'll have to move it in order to seat yourself or leave. Everything was cooked very well, and then menu has man options to from. Definitely a great little restaurant with the only improvement we would recommend is a little more attentive service.Special Features:
- Ideal for Small plates but pricy!JuelzDined on 10/27/2014We had a birthday celebration and had a reservation still had a 20 min. Wait until being seated. Food was very good but bus boys in a hurry to clear our plates before we were finished. Very uncomfortable chairs ask for couch seating or you will be miserable! Will probably not go back, not worth it.Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 10/26/2014Pizza and poor service, all for a lot of hype and exclusivity vibe
- The food never disappoints!HBstyleDined on 10/26/2014If you can handle the hipster waiters that can give the vibe they are too cool to be wait staff the food is exceptional. The pairing of flavours on the vegetables, pizzas and salads is divine! It is a restaurant for true foodies. The takeout Gjelina is just as satisfying to take home and enjoy.Special Features:
- Good food, bad attitudesNachosRuleDined on 10/20/2014The food was actually very good - the flavors were new and interesting, and the presentation was appealing as well. This could be a place where I would want to entertain out of town visitors, but I would be embarrassed by the "LA" attitude toward service. Really started off on the wrong note when the hostess insisted that our reservation request for a table outside "was not guaranteed." From the front door , it was easy to see that only half the patio tables were filled. Who were those tables for? For people with reservations? Great, that would be us. Why the game? Once we got past the hostess table (and overheard the party next to us complaining of the exact same treatment), the food really was great, but not enough to overcome the serviceSpecial Features:
- embeeDined on 10/18/2014The dinner was enjoyable. The food and atmosphere were good, but it was a bit expensive for a place that felt casual. It wasn't as special as the prices would indicate, but still a very nice place. Our table was also a bit awkwardly shaped which made conversation a bit of a challenge.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014They sat us 20 minutes late first saying our table was just getting set then after going in a second time they said the party had just finished paying their bill. No apology or comp drinks/snacks for the wait time. Once we got to the table it wasn't the one I had requested. Our waitress seemed rushed and didn't wait long enough for others to give their drink orders just me. Didn't come to check on us when we had our food and when I asked for my steak to be cooked through a little more because of my stomach issues with uncooked meat she gave me a weird look and immediately said no. Also they have multiple spelling and grammar mistakes on their menu. Overall it was extremely disappointing because I wanted to impress my out of town friends.Special Features:
- Amazing Pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014All of the food was great oysters, vegetables, pork meatballs, but the mushroom pizza was definitely the best thing we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but LOUDAnonDined on 10/14/2014Great dinner overall but exhausting trying to carry on a conversation. The squash ravioli main dish was a tad on the heavy & sweet side for my taste, but everything else was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibly NoisycookieDined on 10/7/2014I like the food but it's insanely noisy. Beyond "fun" noise. I couldn't hear my date at all and ended up with a stomach ache having to project so loudly. Not worth the stress. And honestly, if you're gonna serve french fries, have ketchup. The restaurant has a "no ketchup" policy. Oh lord.
- Delicious but indifferentDaveWhoLovesFoodVIPDined on 10/7/2014Love the food here, and that alone is reason to return. The service unfortunately is terrible - and has repeatedly been terrible. Not terrible in an affirmatively offensive way, but in an utterly indifferent way. You see your server once when she takes your order and then maybe again when it's time to order dessert. No checking in on the food and nothing more from the food runners than a single word ("cauliflower") as they quickly toss a dish on the table and scurry away. The hostess didn't even pull the table back from the banquette for my wife to be seated. I will still go back for the food, but that is in spite of the consistently underwhelming service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieofamericaDined on 10/5/2014Good but very crowded. A little understaffed and noisy but the food was different and delicious.Special Features:
- Lower your expectationsUnassumingCoupleVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was good. The wine list, so-so, optimized for distributor discounts. Our table was available forty minutes after our reservation. Our server mostly forgot us. We left a generous tip, but felt Gjelina was simply not worth the hassle. Have more fun with the food trucks!
- Almost PerfectSnapPeaVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food is exceptional because the quality of ingredients is so fresh and the combinations of spices are surprising and delicious. BUT the noise level is way too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much attitude for my taste.JpresskinVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food was fine a bit pretentious and quite rich. One small pizza and a few side dishes is enough for two. No caffeine served but very adventuresome drinks mostly mojito style.Special Features:
- Awesome selection, a bit saltyAlexDined on 9/29/2014An amazing variety of food - in size, health-level, cultural inspiration/spices, etc. However some of the dishes were extremely salty, like the lamb pasta. The apple strudel dessert was extremely delicious, and the nice waiter threw in a free pear sorbet too!Special Features:
- MOR1VIPDined on 9/28/2014Awesome outdoor patio. Great for vegetarians. Perfect date spot with a energetic vibe!Special Features:
- RudeFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 9/24/2014The hostess was incredibly rude. Requested a table that could accommodate us, my date had a cast on. She put is in this little corner table with a huff. Seating is right next to each other, tables are about 8 inches apart. You pretty much eat with others. We had the cheese plate which was a few slices and a splat of honey. The mussles were awesome. Prawns were acceptable... but for a small plate, why 3? Who gets the extra prawn? We were so looked over and uncomfortable with the seating we decided not to have an entre and skipped to dessert. Dry brownie thing. I'm sure our experience would have been better if the hostess had been kind. It just started off bad and didn't get any better with the continued non-service.Special Features:
- YanaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Don't have enough good words for the food at Gjelina! it was amazing! The place is super lively and popular, staff is nice and friendly. The wine list seemed strange to us, seems like they tried to make it unique but at some point were carried away.Special Features:
- Always a winnerCasaTeeDined on 9/18/2014This is a favorite place for my boyfriend and me. This time we took two friends and just had a wonderful time. All the staff is really nice. While it's trendy and hard to get into, the staff doesn't feel pretentious at all. If you don't do reservations, you wait for the communal table or a randomly open table (which doesn't happen often). The plates are all just great, have never gone wrong. They have this cauliflower right now w spicy stuff on it...amazing. Pizzas good! Everything...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haughty, though we always return.CindaciousDined on 9/16/2014When visiting Santa Monica/Venice from San Francisco we gravitate to the uber hip Gjelina for our first night dinner. Not sure why considering the spotty and haughty service, starting from the hostess stand. Also the noise level is off the charts unless you can score a patio table. It is the extensive menu that brings us back; a wonderful list of small plates using fresh and unique ingredients. On our most recent visit we ordered the kale with sunflower seeds and pecorino salad, grilled prawns, mussels and salted pot de creme. All were outstanding. We of course will return and expect the arrogant, if not snotty service from the 20 something year olds. Us being 50 something year olds are very cool...and patient.Special Features:
- AMAZING FOODNycfoodie44VIPDined on 9/15/2014Get the duck confit! Some of the best duck I have ever had! The lamb sausage pizza was amazing as well. Dinner was topped off by the amazing dessert, pot de Creme. Definitely go there!!! I will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints at all.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Our table was ready on time. We had a great 2 top in the back patio area. It was perfect seating and our service was fantastic. Her name was Erin I believe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too much waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Nice place, liked the scenery and food, but even though we had a reservation we had to wait for like 40 minutesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Food was quite good, although the duck was a bit dry. It is VERY noisy, so I wouldn't suggest it for someone who is hard of hearing!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantruvyDined on 9/6/2014Food and service is fantastic, everything we ate was wonderful. Great service and a lot of fun. We'll be back!Special Features:
- GjeliciousweatzelDined on 9/5/2014I live in NY and travel to LA once or twice a year on business. Whenever I'm in town, I try as hard as I can to fit dinner at Gjelina into the schedule and it never disappoints. The dishes are simple and the ingredients are really allowed to shine. I am drooling right now, just thinking about my most recent meal.Special Features:
- Great Food ... Eh ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014Food is consistently amazing! Love it! Always fresh, and the spices tantalize every time. I return for the food... not so much for the service. I was there to celebrate my sister's birthday. I let the restaurant know in advance via OpenTable and via phone. They didn't do a thing. Didn't even comp the "tiny" dessert. It's the little stuff... was very disappointed that after a $215 bill and there wasn't the slightest bit of fanfare.Special Features:
- WowsosorryDined on 9/2/2014$100 for two pizzas and two glasses of wine. Server lacked ability to smile and show she was there to make our dining experience pleasant. The air was filled with frenetic noise, energy and vibe. Too bad my daughter and I were there to eat great food and be able to visit. Don't go if that's what you want. Now I know.Special Features:
- Gjelina never disappointsRosieVIPDined on 8/31/2014I've only been to Gjelina a handful of times but it has been amazing every time! I've always sat on the patio, which for me is best, inside can be pretty loud, hard to hold a conversation. My last visit on 8/31/14 was to celebrate completing my first 1/2 marathon that morning, and our meal was exactly what I was hoping for, a little indulgent with every dish including Lamb Pizza, Pork Belly, Albacore, and Scallops were perfectly prepared and delicious! To finish the Butterscotch Pot de Creme, perfect balance of sweet and salty, I almost licked the little jar clean ; ) Bonus that this fabulous restaurant is in our neighborhood, I just wish it didn't take so long to get a reservation! Kudos to the chefs I'm an absolute fan!!Special Features:
- Uber Good FoodjswillyDined on 8/30/2014Amazing food and wine! Had the steak with haricot verts and cauliflower as sides. Spectacular! Glad we chose this place for our anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Uncaring Service and Mediocre FoodGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014We live in LA proper, so a hike to get here and deal with parking. Definitely not worth the drive. We had an early reservation, told our table wasn't ready (entire restaurant was basically empty). Kept us waiting (standing room along the wall) 15 mins past our booking time and then sat us at one of the 10 empty tables that's been empty the entire time! While waiting, suggested we order an drink, no waiter ever came by. The food was pricey and consistently under seasoned and either over or under cooked. Pizza: crust was burnt and bottom was barely cooked (go to Stella Barra or Mozza instead), Crudo: good fish, under seasoned (prefer son of a gun or Sugarfish), salt & pepper frites: had no such seasonings (try Repulique instead).Special Features: