16 West 8th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gizzisnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 353-0099
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday-Sunday: 12:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Menu please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Available for private parties. Fully exclusive.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2123530099
- Entertainment: Live Music 7 seven days a week, no cover! Gizzi's creates an intimate vibe with their banquette, a long stretch of seating divvied up into ever-so-slightly private nooks. It's a detail that reminds you of the difference between a bar and a full-on lounge. Here, you can settle in for dinner, drinks, and a show, feeling both like you're in your own world and part of a cool, neighborly crowd. It's an experience that lends itself to a high degree of repeatability: don't be surprised if you find yourself recognizing some of the loyal regulars. After all, it simply means you're becoming one of them.
- Special Events: We welcome all inquiries for private/special events.
A word from Gizzi's
Gizzi's full bar elates sippers with imported and domestic bottled beers, premium wines, a bevy of liquors, Live Music 7 days a week. Gizzi's gourmands please palates of all types with delectable drinks and dishes found on a mouthwatering menu and distinguished drink list. When trying to find a spot to unwind on a weeknight, you often have to make some choices. Do you want good food or great drinks? Do you desire live music or a place you can actually have a conversation? For most bars in the West Village, these qualities are mutually exclusive; at Gizzi's, however, you can actually have it all. The lounge buzzes with a warm, engaging energy and terrific live performances seven nights a week, but the cozy room never feels so loud that you have to shout to be heard. Even better, neither the cocktail program nor the dinner menu takes a backseat in terms of quality. The signature martinis are every bit as good as the ribeye so much that it's practically a shame to consume them apart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gizzi's reviews from OpenTable diners
- The prices are reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2012The prices are reasonable and the food is rather good. I came here with my friend afterwork to wind down after busy work day. We had lots to talk about, so the waitress seemed to be a little pushy on getting us to immediately order food although we had ordered drinks. The place was empty. The glass of Cabernet Sauvignon was robust and the price was very economical for it was only $6. I ordered the Wave Runner which is a delightful fish of wild salmon with sautéed spinach with mushrooms and mashed potatoes. It was absolutely delicious. My friend could not get enough of the Rib Eye Steak. I wouldn't recommend this place if you are seeking a quiet, romantic dinner for it gets noisy. The live music promptly begins around 6pm and it's loud.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012The food and service were both excellent. I'd go back for the food. It is more of a bar atmosphere and seating. I was expecting a restaurant. The food and service made up for the fact that we didn't have a dining table to eat from.Special Features:
- I was impressed by this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012I was impressed by this restaurant. The menu, while not large, offers a nice selection. The taco app was underwhelming, but the Perixsiccatus Delight was very tasty. The Surf & Turf burger was outstanding, and the Wonders of the Ocean was a solid dish. Mixed drinks were strong and delicious. The only disappointment was the wait time, but my date and I came right as they opened, and it was our waitress's first day on the job, so it was to be expected. I would definitely come back here.Special Features:
- I found the food to be quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/6/2012I found the food to be quite delicious however, service was very lacking. When we arrived, no one greeted us at the entrance and we had to walk over to the bar and wait literally 10-15 minutes before anyone (including the bartender) asked us if we needed a table. There were live acts playing at exceeding loud levels. Like EXCEEDING LOUD! Kudos to the chef, but the place was not conducive to dining.
- Time at Gizzi'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012This is like a bar restaurant with amateur entertainment, even though food was not great, service was outstanding, the atmosphere was good too.Special Features:
- Food is good and plentiful.davidjenisonVIPDined on 9/22/2012Food is good and plentiful. Restaurant has a B health grade, which always makes me cringe, but it appears they cleaned up their act. It is not a can't-miss restaurant, but it is certainly good.Special Features:
- Horrible experience neverAntonioDined on 9/9/2012Horrible experience never recieved food after waiting two hours
- Thanks for hosting the SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012Thanks for hosting the Sunday Night Screenings film festivalSpecial Features:
- Very generous portions forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2012Very generous portions for very good prices. Honestly was not expecting such a delectable bounty of food in the village, but Gizzi's impressed. The kitchen is small so the food took a little long to come out, but once we saw the sizes and preparation all was forgiven. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Food was surprisingly goodBetsyVIPDined on 8/24/2012Food was surprisingly good with large portions. Would go back if I were in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Poor Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2012Created a reservation on Opentable, but when I arrived they had no table for me and apparently weren't familiar with the 'reservation process'. Sat down after a short wait and didn't get any service, so just left. Good to go for a drink (lively crowd) but not for much else.
- Cute neighborhood bar/restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2012Cute neighborhood bar/restaurant with couches and live music. Food is ok, but atmosphere is relaxed and fun.Special Features:
- Two things I love are goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2012Two things I love are good food and good music, and this place has both. The place is not too big, but it has a nice lounge feel to it. There are tables, couches along the wall and a bar. The staff is friendly, though we weren't asked if we needed anything often enough for my taste, but that could just be me. There was live music, mostly acoustic, which I love!!! The music was a good volume, where you can talk, but still hear it and enjoy it. Also the food was very delicious. I had the Gizzi pear salad, which is huge, and the Wave Runner (salmon) also very delicious. The cocktails were pretty strong, though also a little pricey ($12), beers are $7. All in all, I love the place, and would be back again.Special Features:
- I bought a Goupon for 2.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012I bought a Goupon for 2. Let me tell you the food was absolutely fab! For appetizers we ordered the prosciutto tomato mozzarella fresh basil with balsamic vinegar... HEAVEN! Defiantly going back for that! For the entree they had a special going on of filet mignon with a wine reduction and mashed potatoes! WOW! the steak was perfectly done! The mash tasted amazing and the texture was spot on! I loved it! The waiters were friendly and informative and made us feel at home! We will be going back again for sure to enjoy their live bands and relaxing ambiance oh and their Food! YUM!Special Features:
- We went there early on weekday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2012We went there early on weekday, so we miss the live music. The place was just open for dinner . Wait staff is very helpful and friendly. Food is better than expected.Special Features:
- The staff at Gizzis was superbeeferoniDined on 6/20/2012The staff at Gizzis was super friendly and helpful. The menu was an odd mix that was fairly priced. I ordered veal and my girlfriend had a skirt steak, and both pieces of meat were well-seasoned and cooked to the right temperature. The quality of the meat was not amazing, but again, it was well seasoned and fairly priced. I would go back just for the friendly staff.
- The restaurant was more likeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2012The restaurant was more like a bar. Food was okay.Special Features:
- This was a nice place to eatSeanDined on 6/14/2012This was a nice place to eat and unwind after work. I'm looking forward to coming back to try more of the menu!Special Features:
- I enjoyed my visit to Gizzi's.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2012I enjoyed my visit to Gizzi's. Andy the waiter/bartender was great, full of energy and a lovely person to be around. I went on a Monday with co-workers and it wasn't as lively as it would be on a Friday and Saturday night. The food was good.Special Features:
- Poor food, good concertsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2012We just went there because of a concert (which was very nice). The personnel was also friendly, but the food was cold when it arrived about 45-60 minutes later and the salad was even missing the dressing.
- Fun for a Bar, not for a RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2012The ambiance and service was great here, but the food and prices: not so much. It looked like they had a good happy hour, so this would be a great place to go for a drink, fries, and some live music!Special Features:
- Don't waste your time or money.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2012We thought this was a restaurant with some live music. Instead, it was a loud, obnoxious bar with a few scrunched up tables, substandard entertainment, a clueless and obviously overworked waitstaff, and a kitchen the size of a broom closet. We waited over 2 hours for food and drink and a table (after we had made a reservation)--and they still messed up our food order twice. The couple sitting next to us had been there for 3 hours and still left after we did. The live music was mute for about 45 minutes between acts while the second act tuned his guitar for 45 minutes.
- fresh, un-fussed with food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2012fresh, un-fussed with food, you could taste all the delicious ingredients without them being overpowerd by spices or sauces,friendly waiter, cool atmosphere, affordable. don't miss the crabcake appetizersSpecial Features:
- We ate at Gizzi's at an earlygortwoodDined on 5/9/2012We ate at Gizzi's at an early dining hour, so the restaurant was not yet hopping. The food was positively outstanding, as superb as any highly-rated restaurant. Totally unexpected. (And the prices were very reasonable.) We will return every time we visit NY.Special Features:
- If the meal can come faster,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012If the meal can come faster, that would be perfect.Special Features:
- BEST FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2012My mouth started watering the minute I picked up the menu, and didn't stop watering until I walked out the door with a very full stomach. The food was incredible. It was so full of flavor! The service was great and we loved being there. I would definitely go back again, and I would take all my friends if I could!Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2012I took a friend to Gizzi's for her birthday and she loved it. If you're looking for a fun place with great food, check out Gizzi's. The live bands were very unique. Gizzi's is very small and cozy place but the food, drinks and desserts has some really big flavors. The steak, lamb chops, red velvet cake and virgin pina colada were a hit. Our server was extremely nice and every dish that was recommended was great.Special Features:
- Try the SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2012Surprise, surprise! Gizzi's has the most DELCIOUS salad in the world. I noted that my daughter, a vegetarian, would love the pear salad. Fresh, HUGE, and the best pear dressing I ever had! In particular, my friend had the most delicious entree -- a huge, tasty steak with small delcious sides. My entree, chicken with mozzarella, wasn't as good but it served my dietary needs ... including more fresh salad.Special Features:
- The entertainment was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2012The entertainment was amazing. The service was very good, very friendly and the food was superb. I had salmon that was done to perfection. I like the smaller intimate atmosphere and the fine entertainment. I would go again.Special Features:
- My husband and I picked "fitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2012My husband and I picked "fit for Foodies" and "Late-Night Find." At the beginning of our experience there was live music. It was great for the older hippie crowd. The woman was chanting about Monks, not our scene, however I must say it did give us a giggle. However, the food was great. The service was very good. Food took a while but we didn't mind since we were on a date. It would of been perfect without the live music (or at least a different band). By the end of the dinner the live music had ended and a livelier crowd began to arrive and the horrible music had ended. All in all it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2012Great food, nice atmosphere. A little on the pricey side, but overall a nice place to go get a great meal.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed my dinnerNYCSweetieDined on 3/23/2012I really enjoyed my dinner at Gizzi's. The steaks were delicious, and the restaurant took great care with its seasonings. It was very quiet and I had a wonderful romantic dinner. I could not have had a better experience.
- The wait was forever. I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2012The wait was forever. I ordered "Wonders of Ocean", and it was loaded with salt. The waitress forgot about my drink.
- Good Food, Horrible SingersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I was referred to Gizzi's by a friend who's been there and told me the food was good. I was on a first date, on Valentines Day with a very special guy who rarely gets annoyed by anything but despite the good food and the waiting service, which was exceptional, we were specially annoyed by the live entertainment that was there that night. A young musician who was singing songs with a playback track behind him, who honestly wasn't that good of a singer, insisted in singing songs so out of his league it became comical. His microphone volume was SO HIGH it reached the point where we cringed whenever he spoke. And we were seated way way in the back of the house on a little couch with a small table. Wish I new that before I made reservations.Special Features: