1682 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (617) 441-2800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Pagliarini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Giulia Restaurant
Giulia is a chef-owned Italian restaurant located between Harvard and Porter Squares in Cambridge. This is the first restaurant of award-winning Chef Michael Pagliarini. Our focus is on inspired food and great service with true Italian vigor. We put a particular focus on our hand-crafted pastas, made each day on our custom-built chef"s table adjacent to the open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Giulia Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Giulia Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (133)special occasion (102)romantic (57)notable wine list (53)hot spot (48)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (8)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not My Best Meal Here... Still Very FineOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/24/2014I've had really excellent meals here. Tonight, very good but didn't reach the heights that I've seen previously... and a few slips in service Still enjoyable but will now be curious to see how my next visit goes to see if my faith is restored.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MarshaDined on 11/24/2014Can't wait to go back. I had the mackerel with a tapenade; my guest had the duck. Before that we had the antipasti prosciutto, pear, arugula, parmesan. Lovely glass of red wine. Everything was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Sure You Get a Table Away From the Door.JosephMDined on 11/19/2014If you plan to eat there in winter, get as far away from the door as possible. There is a big heavy curtain vestibule right inside the front door but it doesn't work as much as they might think. It was a 30 degree evening when we visited and we were uncomfortable. Unfortunately, being cold and uncomfortable overshadowed our entire experience. The staff were very polite and pleasant.
- NightOwlDined on 11/18/2014Giulia, I am sad to say, is one of those 'has been' resturants that has simply lost its mojo. The atomsphere is grreat (if you're ok with some noise), the food is adequate (but uninspired), and the service exceptionally poor. With so many better choices within walking distance, I am not sure why anyone would visit Giulia. I cannot even recommend stopping in for a drink - the cocktails were watery, and like the food, uninspired.
- excellentKnightRhinoDined on 11/18/2014Wife and I did the chef tasting with the wine pairing, which was spectacular. Honestly, it's hard to decide which was the bigger star of the show the wine or the food. The food was delicious and interesting, the highlights where ravioli with sweet breads, the walnut sauce, the pork sausage, duck hearts, and the crostini with mortadella. The service was excellent with a polished yet casual approach. The servers came and checked on us just enough times, yet they were highly attentive and friendly when needed. We sat near the door, which got a bit cold at times, however, again the staff was attentive with regards to this issue and the host did a good job staying on top of it. The sommelier did an excellent job of choosing his line up as well as presenting each offering. As i mentioned above, the wine matched the food course for course, and was one of the highlights of the night. The reservations were a bit tougher to get than i anticipated, however if you keep checking back you'll find spots open up. I didnt expect the bar to be as big as it was, so take note, that if you cant get reservations, you would have a good shot of finding a cozy spot at the bar where you will be offered the full menu. Greater Boston is saturated with red sauce Italian restaurants, which makes Giulia so refreshing. Giulia is a fresh from scratch Italian restaurant that transcends the perceived typical italian fare yet manages to be more authentic than any place you'd find in the North End. We had a wonderful and memorable night, and would highly recommend coming here for just about any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Around - really very fineJanieDined on 11/18/2014Our second visit topped the first, which was wonderful. Love the menu and a fine list of wines by the glass. Service very good and wonderful reception from the maitre'd at the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The portions were minuscule. I left hungry.ThomasDined on 11/13/2014The portions were so small that my girlfriend didn't even get full. The food tasted really good and the waiter was great, but it was such little food and so expensive that we both left hungry. This restaurant is really for old rich people with no metabolisms who just eat to stimulate their taste buds, rather than for actual nourishment.Special Features:
- skipperDined on 11/10/2014Overall Excellent - Not to be missed if you enjoy exquisitely prepared N. Italian layered subtly flavored dishes. This is not the North End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbVIPDined on 11/6/2014Thought the food was absolutely delicious but the portions (except for the steak) were too small. Our party of three ended up sharing a bunch of dishes and the pasta dishes, altho so wonderful, were just too small. The service was also wonderful but the whole experience was fun but I am not compelled to return. I know I am in the minority!Special Features:
- Impressive Vegetarian tasting menuAiliDined on 11/1/2014Listed as 5 courses, there ended being six, which honestly was way too much food. Most of the food was excellent (starters, salads, vegetables desserts). Some of the pasta, in comparison to the other dishes, were good but not that interesting or outstanding. Still am amazing experience.Special Features:
- Best food outside of ItalyKevinDined on 11/1/2014This is my fourth visit to Guilia's since the summer. I have become addicted to the pappadale - it is delicious. Although, at the urging of our waiter I tried the ravioli and now I have a dilemma as they are both equally excellent. My husband had the tuna. It was cooked perfectly. The blend of flavors with the sauce and the array of local vegetables was wonderful. We finished with the pistachio gelato with dark cherries and Pizzele. Ahh. Can't wait to go back. Make reservations well in advance.Special Features:
- Best italian restaurant in BostonMsZetaDined on 10/27/2014A friend recommended this restaurant, and we truly fell in love with it. The decor is simple and the staff is very friendly. We were completely impressed by the menu, offering very interesting dishes that were out of the ordinary. We stayed in Boston for 3 weeks, and went for dinner 4 times during our stay. We tried more than half the menu, and were completely impressed by the quality of the dishes. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!LuluVIPDined on 10/27/2014I am very picky, but I have NOTHING bad to say about Giulia. We had the Chef's Tasting menu with win pairings and it was OUTSTANDING. This was truly one of the best meals that I have ever had. You should definitely go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014This food is absolutely amazing. I would eat here everyday if I had that kind of money... I would also then be very fat and happy! Best dishes... pappardelle with wild boar (perfect mix of flavors) and the side of brussel sprout is a lovely paring! Better than any italian I've had in the north end!!!Special Features:
- ExcellentCopanis828Dined on 10/22/2014I enjoyed every aspect of being at Giulia. The food was excellent from the sfizzi to the dessert. The presentation was lovely and the portions were perfect. The service was kind, helpful, and set a tone of relaxation. The restaurant uses space well. It is not large and every table was occupied when I was there, but it did not feel crowded. The sound level both with respect to the music and the conversations was pleasant and did not distract or impede conversation with my friends. I would enthusiastically recommend Giulia to anyone, in fact I have already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenom FoodGabeDined on 10/21/2014Giulia's menu is inspired and the execution is phenomenal! The waitstaff are very knowledgable about the food and made solid wine suggestions. It's hard to get a reservation here and for a good reason. Note: budget a lot of time for the meal. It's an experience to be savored and I think Giulia's intentionally paces it. You're on Italian-time, so don't go in w/your usual expectations about how long thing should. It's well worth the wait. Had I the money, I'd have a standing weekly reservation here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Delicious but......cookingonthesquareDined on 10/20/2014We have been to Giulia several times and the food was fantastic as usual. The pastas, buratta, calamari, gelato, and wines were all fantastic. This time however the pacing was way off and we waited for our entrées for quiet awhile. But the real problem we had was with our server, she was so unfriendly, haughty, & inattentive that she nearly ruined the experience. For example, at one point she slapped a cocktail on our table without looking at us, saying anything, and just kept walking on. While we would never want obsequious service, a little friendly attention would be welcome. Keep up the great food and inject a little attention to the service.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014A wonderful food experience. The prosciutto with Arugula and the green salad were great starters. The wild boar's pappardelle were exquisite. Didn't have much room for dessert, but shared the chocolate terrine -- that was also fantastic. The service was great, wonderful place and atmosphere. Planning to go back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite, fresh foodYummlyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Giulia is hands-down my new favourite restaurant in Boston. The food is exquisite with fresh ingredients that are both simple and complement each other to truly enhance the flavours. Must try dishes include the semolina cake sfizzi (warm. fluffy soufflé), clams in brodetto appetizer (basil and pancetta highlight savoury clams), burrata di puglia appetizer (bright combination of green beans, mushrooms, and milky fresh burrata), pappardelle with wild boar (tender, melt-in-your mouth boar with *perfect* al-dente pasta), brussels sprouts (iron-cast pan caramelized with the right balance of spice and zest), and the pistachio gelato (with a pizzelle just like grandma used to make). The only dislike is the challenge of getting a reservation!Special Features:
- burrataDined on 10/18/2014Really wonderful food--both appetizers and the amazing pasta dishes. And it is a lovely, unpretentious atmosphere, too (I didn't love the plastic covered menus, but that is a silly quibble). I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodColeminkDined on 10/14/2014Small neighbourhood restaurant with good atmosphere and great Italian food. Will come back!Special Features:
- The Emperor has no clothesVTfoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014As noted in many reviews, the quality of the food here is very good. But "precious" is the best word I can think of to describe the restaurant. Casual neighborhood place, with tremendous emphasis on the quality of the food, but not the dining experience. Pasta portions are barely larger than appetizer size. The chef is clearly in control, but definite lack of professional service and small portion size. We would not return.Special Features:
- Best meal in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/9/2014Simply great food. Right up there with the best NYC restaurants of the same style. Maialino in Boston. If you haven't been there don't wait another second.Special Features:
- Giulia is AMAZING!!ConcordFoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014If you love Italian food, great service and great wine, visit Giulia STAT!! This is by far the best Italian food I've had in Boston--thank you, Giulia, for being true to your roots and absolutely amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KevinDined on 10/7/2014This is an amazing restaurant. I just returned from Italy and well, this restaurant's food is as good as any I had there. Freshly made pasta was so good. I had the papardalle with wild board and my husband had the ravioli with sweetmeat and veal. 5 stars. Oh - and don't forget to have some pistachio gelato! It is presented with a dark cherry sauce and a pizzelle. Plan your reservations in advance as this place is booked weeks in advance. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Delicious and charmingBarbSVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent and inventive. We will return.
- A perfect eveningCalmstockDined on 9/29/2014A perfect spot for an engaging (and romantic!) dinner for two. I simply cannot recommend this place highly enough!Special Features:
- Special treatfussyeaterDined on 9/29/2014Giulia serves fine Italian dishes with a special flair. Good choice of unusual small dishes and pastas. Meat entrees are pricey. Wine list is excellent and server (Justin) was very knowledgeable and friendly. A good buzz without being too noisy for conversation. Parking very scarce while Mass. Ave. is under construction, and staff had no suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian foodFoodieFamilyDined on 9/27/2014This place exceeded my expectations. We had all but given up on good food in the Boston/Cambridge scene after many meals that looked amazing, but lacked real flavor. At Giulia, we had great fresh pasta with seasonal ingredients and a fresh sardine main course. The food was really fresh and flavorful. We'll be back in the fall when all the wonderful braised meats and seasonal veggies hit their next menu.Special Features:
- Yum.OmnivoreVIPDined on 9/27/2014The problem with the menu is that there are too many interesting choices. While I tend to get a big plate of protein for dinner, I opted instead for a pasta dish because they make their own pasta and they're very proud of it. They should be. My wife's swordfish was perfectly prepared. Each dish seemed to have multiple ingredients but they didn't seem muddy or competing with each other. To the contrary, they married perfectly. Even the raw oysters got a complex treatment with a gooseberry mignonette. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- A Variable ExperienceSMGDABDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant dining area was clean and we were greeted quickly, politely and seated. The wait staff was attentive and took good care of us. We found the items we ordered very to be very different in taste. One might be flavorful and delicious and the other was either bland or bitter. Whether by design or our tastes, it suggests you need to know what you ordering to have the best experience. The most disconcerting thing about the visit was the men's room. The tiles above the sink were dirty and needed to be cleaned and there was a lot of paper on the floor. We did advise the hostess of this, but not sure if it was attended to. Overall a mid range experience and probably would not go back any time soon given the price value equation.Special Features:
- diner20Dined on 9/20/2014a little too noisy for me. No quiet spaces. Food wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A prototypical restaurantHVS05Dined on 9/15/2014not too big, not too small, not too fast, not too slow--everything here is just right!Special Features:
- Great little restaurantNBBostonDined on 9/13/2014Had an outstanding meal. The food was fresh and well prepared and there was a nice combination of flavors. Very highly recommended. Reasonably priced and much better than some high end places nearby.Special Features:
- Jesse G.JesseGDined on 9/11/2014Everything was excellent, but the pastas are out this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2mangoesaheadDined on 9/10/2014Always really good food. Not too fussy. GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerluv2eatVIPDined on 9/10/2014Ate at Giulia recently before attending the theater nearby. It was an exceptional visit with wonderful food, attentive servers, excellent choice of wine recommended by server, and casual atmosphere. I ordered papardelle with wild boar which I have never eaten before, but feeling adventurous and being told it was the restaurant's most popular dish, I took a chance. The sauce was rich and succulent and the boar tender and flavorful. Dessert was also unusual and delicious, panna cotta prepared in a very different way.Special Features:
- Great tasting menu dinner!SadieEatsDined on 9/8/2014Celebrated my birthday with the tasting menu. Had 11 different dishes, from small bites to pastas to entree to dessert. All were good, some outstanding. Excellent service! Our only suggestion would be to lower the lighting a bit to enhance the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, authentic Italian foodTakeABiteOutOfLifeDined on 9/8/2014A memorable meal from start to finish. The pasta is made on the premises as are several other items, e.g. sausages, so every dish has a distinct artisanal quality. From the oysters to the pate, the striped bass, their amazing gelato and every other dish that my party of three enjoyed, this is fine dining. Best of all, the atmosphere is casual, the prices extraordinarily reasonable for the calibre of food and the staff is genuinely caring and attentive. Enjoy it all and get the five course tasting menu...amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceBethDined on 9/8/2014Always great food. Incredible consistency. Wish it were easier to get a reservation but there is always the bar if you get there early enough. Always worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.