1682 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 6174412800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Pagliarini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Giulia Restaurant
Giulia is a chef-owned Italian restaurant located between Harvard and Porter Squares in Cambridge. This is the first restaurant of award-winning Chef Michael Pagliarini. Our focus is on inspired food and great service with true Italian vigor. We put a particular focus on our hand-crafted pastas, made each day on our custom-built chef"s table adjacent to the open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Giulia Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Giulia Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)neighborhood gem (106)special occasion (93)romantic (60)notable wine list (45)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great pasta dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014With appetizers, desserts, beer, (no bottles of wine here) etc., price adds up quickly. However, the food is very good and the experience was a good one. I would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014OMG the "5" course tasting menu was phenomenal and more like 11 small courses!! BRAVO to all the kitchen staff and serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbyBobbyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Really creating delicious, non fuss food. Everyone aims to please and the menu,especially the pastas, are hearty yet refined. Worth a short trip into Cambridge for a slightly different take on Italian food.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014We have been to Guilia's several times and it b=never disappoints! There are some tried and true items on the menu...tagliatelle with wild boar and the arugula and prosciutto salad...and always something different to try. No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong! It's a great vibe, amazing food and great service...the recipe for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Nice appsarchDined on 8/22/2014Lovely appetizers, main dishes good too but next time I'm going to try more apps.
- Always AmazingKateDined on 8/21/2014My second trip did NOT disappoint. The staff remembered me, the food was better than I remembered, the wine was again, spectacular. There is a reason this is my favorite restaurant in Boston. It just screams GENERAL EXCELLENCE. Everything from the anchovies to the tuna crudo to the casarecce and bucatini to the gelato, you really have one of the most satisfying meals in one of the most intimate and beautiful restaurants. Will go back again and again (and again)!Special Features:
- terrible serviceluv2eatDined on 8/18/2014I gave you 5 stars because i know how hard it is to own and operate a restaurant. In reality, one of the worst dining experiences. 55 minutes for our apps. No acknowledgement or an apology. After apps arrived in 55 minutes, another hour for main course. Terrible. We ordered your most expensive wine on your list, ordered 3 apps, 3 pastas and 2 entrees. When I have guests like this, I always check to make sure this type of guest is taken care of because these are the type of customers you want to come back to your restaurant because they help your revenue stream and are good tippers. Even though the service was horrendous, I still tipped $80 dollars. I will not be returning to your place or recommend it. terrible terrible service.
- Outstanding dining!SusanADined on 8/15/2014I celebrated my birthday with my family on a recent Saturday night. The food was outstanding and the meal was leisurely but well-paced. I had the warm semolina cakes with crispy pancetta, the pasta with bluefish (absolutely outstanding) and the pistachio gelato. Giulia is a perfect spot for any special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014dinner was fabulous, service excellent and very welcoming staff.Special Features:
- love this placexxxxDined on 8/9/2014each time I come back I am so impressed with everything about this restaurant - food, staff, ambience.Special Features:
- Couldn't be better!PamelaDined on 8/8/2014I have had nothing but excellent dinners at Giulia. Michael and his staff are creative chefs, the wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly as well as efficient.The greeters are always ready to welcome you. Terry makes a fabulous Negroni. My most serious problem there is deciding what to order--the amazing pastas, perhaps a dinner of all apps, wonderful entrees. And I always have a dessert--affogatto, pistachio gelato, chocolate terrine... I live two hours away, but when I am in Cambridge, this is where I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything here is fabulous!MLaurieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Everyone and everything was fabulous -- from the host to the bar tenders to the servers to the food and wine. My new favorite place in Greater Boston.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant... Great ChowOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/4/2014Why can't all restaurants be this good? The atmosphere is fine, simple, very casual. The tables are a little too small... and too close together for real comfort but you're willing to pay the price for such exciting chow. Some dishes took a little more time than you'd expect, but no matter as they were all served perfectly hot, right from the kitchen. Becomes a bit pricey as you can't resist the amazing food. Pastas are fantastic. Also loved the scallops. But don't go without ordering every vegetable dish that you can... the vegetables are absolutely stunning. Kudos to the chef, his kitchen team as well as the front of the house staff. A collaboration of excellence. Very exciting.
- utterly fabulouswinegeekVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been several times before, but this time we took friends and they were mightily impressed also. As a result of it being their first time, we overindulged, to say the least. The semolina cakes are to die for, as were the tiny clams "in brodetto". Really like the burrata and beets. Great (huge) veal chop special. The desserts were good, too. Their wine list still leaves us wanting. Their average price is about 2.25 time retail, and higher, and the quality doesn't match the food. Still, we'll undoubtedly be back.
- Fabulous Modern Italian foodmkmwDined on 8/1/2014Giulia is an amazing addition to an already great dining neighborhood. Their modern take on classic Italian flavors, ingredients, and techniques is consistently impressive and delicious! The menu is designed to work equally well for sharing or not. Sharing is recommended, of course, so one can experience as many of the vibrant flavors as possible!Special Features:
- A memorable mealKJM1Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant lived up to its billing--wonderful Italian food, highlighted by fresh house-made pastas. The service was friendly but not overbearing; the dining room was warm and inviting and had the feel of a nice neighborhood destination. The popular dishes--semolina cakes, pappardelle with wild boar--delivered as promised, and the oysters were terrific. Only quibble was the tight spacing of the tables in the front room, but that didn't keep us from having a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Best of the bestFoodieFavDined on 7/30/2014Cannot stop thinking about our lovely dining experience @ Giulia. The entire evening was perfection and the food exceeded our expectations. Fabulous service and atmosphere as well. The lights could have been a bit dimmer but that is a minor detail. Loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a great meal at Giulia. The sfizzi at the outset of the meal was a treat. My anchovy bites were prepared perfectly. My wife and I share the salumi plate to begin. Often this is an overpriced tasting of scant offerings...not so at Giulia where we received generous portions of salumis. My wife had the papardelle and I the orrechiette, both of which were excellent. Service was prompt, knowledgeable and professional. I wish we had ordered the chef's tasting menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic!DuckConfitDined on 7/24/2014Delicious homemade pastas, farm fresh vegetables, interesting combinations of ingredients (raw tuna, grilled celery, grapefruit), plus impeccable service (spot on wine pairings, splitting dishes that we said we were sharing, surprise birthday wishes, and great pacing before/between dishes)...our meal was spot on! Thank you Giulia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in Giulia!MartaVIPDined on 7/24/2014This was our first time in Giulia and it was definitely a great discovery. The food is very good, all very fresh and cooked well. The service was attentive, and, even though we had to wait a bit for our entrees, the rest of the evening was almost perfect. I now understand why the reviews are so good and I have to agree with the rest ... even though this might make it more difficult to find a table next time around!Special Features:
- JohnymacJohnymacVIPDined on 7/23/2014What a delight! Guiulia is a marvelous blend of your neighborhood favorite and a serious food destination. The ambiance is relaxed yet people do seem to dress up to their better than normal standard. The food is exceptional but served by a friendly as well as knowledgeable staff. Questions are welcomed, unknowns are explained, and you leave feeling you will be welcomed back! Of special note is the house made pasta; it is bellissimo! This is a place of many returns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This and thatLouisDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent, particularly the semolina cake Sfizzi. However, the ambience in the space lacks an idea of how the restaurant wants guests to experience the evening, apart from the overly complex menu and all brown and dark interior dining space. Clearly the owners are invested in the cooking and creation of delicious food, and they succeed. A solution to the ambience does not need to be expensive - just thoughtful. Add some light neutral paint somewhere, or table cloths, get better lighting, lose the brown painted acoustic tile ceiling, and add a small amount of color or sparkle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect from Start to FinishalicelittleDined on 7/17/2014Everything was perfect, from start to finish: host, bartenders, service, food. I recommend the crostini del giorno, which was a chicken liver pate, semolina cakes, burrata and tuna crudo, which was bright and clean--not overly sauced like many crudos I have had. For dinner, we enjoyed the fussili and sweetbread ravioli. I could eat the gorgeous fusili--such a simple but delicious dish--every day. Don't skip dessert and make sure you have a signature cocktail and wine. The sangiovese/cab that I had--the cheapest glass on the menu--was superb! Even with so many wonderful restaurants nearby, I will be sure to make Giulia a regular stop!Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!TeachVIPDined on 7/14/2014We followed our waiter's recommendations and we were not disappointed. The semolina cakes were rich and delicious. The scorpion fish "cacciucco" is much like a cioppino and was full of fennel flavor and lovely. The pappardelle with wild boar was so perfectly prepared and scrumptious that I would happily return for that alone, but I look forward to trying other things on the menu. This is my favorite kind of restaurant - a place where the food is flawless and the service is personable, not snooty or pretentious. Just a fantastic neighborhood find!Special Features:
- Perfect steakHungryPandaDined on 7/12/2014Dinner for 4 at 10 PM. We had snacked before showing up but we couldn't stop eating! All four dishes were amazing but the steak was the definite winner. Perfect medium-rare and the salsa verde with a grilled lemon made this one of the most amazing steaks I've ever tried. Our server Justine was stellar. He had great recommendations and tolerated our bad jokes. I can't wait to go back and try the tasting menu! Cheers Giulia!Special Features:
- jastaDined on 7/9/2014great service, food preparation was carefully done and the presentation appealed to the eye; the semolina cakes are a must for everyone to try as is the fusili with asparagus; the day boat scallops was a winning dish, both light and having depth with great flavor; the bass was too strong-flavored (read fishy) for me; alas, too full for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy food, atmosphere and staffDinerLDCHDined on 7/7/2014We had a delicious and memorable dinner here. The staff are lovely and helpful and accommodating of our infant son, who we brought with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestAwesomeVIPDined on 7/2/2014This place is absolutely amazing. I've now been here 4 times, and have ordered a different pasta (pappardelle, bucatini, casarecce, and orecchiette) each time. All outstanding. This restaurant is a must try.Special Features:
- ConcordFoodieVIPDined on 7/2/2014I love everything about this place! The hostess is amazing, the service is flawless, great drinks and even better food. If I lived closer I would cozy up to the bar once a week for a bowl of pasta. If you love Italian food (I'm not talking chicken parm here) then hurry to Giulia and discover this Cambridge gem. Don't skip the semolina cakes with crisp prosciutto or the duck heart spiedini. I had an eggplant ravioli that I dream about but the menu now has a veal and sweet bread ravioli on it. Needless to say, I will be making a reservation to get try that dish STAT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GiuliaGiuliaDined on 7/1/2014Really good food…a very welcoming atmosphere…great wine…a nice Cambridgey feelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014Everything was perfect from antipasti to dessert. The service was terrific and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- A wonderful stroll down Via Giuliacmb3497Dined on 6/28/2014I came here recently with my girlfriend for our anniversary, and we were absolutely blown away by our experience. The menu was a bit overwhelming, but our server did an excellent job of explaining everything, giving us recommendations, and taking care not to be overbearing and pushy. We opted for the chef's tasting menu, colorfully titled 'Via Giulia", and could not have been happier. Our waiter asked us if we had any food allergies or aversions (luckily we did not) and if we were "adventurous eaters", and with those parameters in place we were on our way to one of the best meals we have ever eaten. I won't go into what we were served (the surprise is the best part!), but it was incredible. Highly recommend Giulia, five well-deserved stars.Special Features:
- We'll be backConstantCravingDined on 6/25/2014The food was excellent, the wine list was extensive, the staff was welcoming and attentive, and the ambiance was cozy and vibrant. We will certainly return to Guilia's. After looking at the wine list I wasn't sure what wine to choose, so our waitress brought me a mini tasting glass full of one she recommended, and it was just right. My husband and I both ordered pasta dishes, and mine was perfectly cooked and mixed with asparagus and spring onions. I started with a wilted greens and sweet apple concoction, which was excellent. We shared a seasonal dessert with rhubarb sorbet, fresh strawberries and a cornmeal/olive oil cake. As our waitress said, "it's summer in a bowl." A GREAT way to start off our summer.Special Features:
- Highest ranking!EmteeareVIPDined on 6/24/2014Giulia is clearly one of the top five restaurants in Greater Boston, and would rank equally superior in Manhattan. Exceptionally fine cuisine, beautifully prepared, plated and served, all with no attitude. Not to be missed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous chef & front staff!neighborDined on 6/24/2014The more praise, the harder to get a reservation! love being able to find a table at the last moment!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Cambridge/BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014The food is outstanding. I have dined there four times and each has represented some of the best meals I've had in this city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPeonyDined on 6/16/2014Every morsel was exquisite from the bread and olive oil to the warm, perfect crostiini, and the delectable entrees (we had the chitarra and spanish mackerel and the halibut on mushroom risotto with fresh peas). Happy to savor the flavors and experience of dinner over our last sips of wine, we weren't interested in dessert, but in the end indulged in coffee and cherry almond biscotti. Again, we were fainting with happiness. I have never tasted biscotti like this - somehow chewy and crispy at the same time with the most delicate flavor, a dusting of powdered sugar I think, bursts of cherry, and a mint leaf garnish. I'll just say something really stupid: "Oh my god." If I could eat out only once a year I'd choose this restaurant every year.Special Features:
- ItalofiloDined on 6/12/2014Good-quality food, but limited menu. Couldn't figure out if this is meant to be an authentic Roman restaurant, because it doesn't quite fit what I encountered during a two-year stay in Rome. Good wine. Excellent service. I think I need to give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014It took a while to get a reservation, and mostly I am spur of the moment, but knew I would be in the area this night, in advance and made an early reservation. from first step in the door, I loved it. great atmosphere. the staff was fantastic, memorable, the food was the best I've had in a long time! I am a vegetarian too and the accommodations were perfect. I would go often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just don't get itMarieVIPDined on 6/6/2014The food and service were fine, but I am amazed by the buzz around this place. The food was fine, not exceptional. The menu was very limited anyway (with almost nothing for the non-meat eater. Yes, they will remove the meat from anything but that's not the same, especially at these prices.) and they were out of what I wanted to order. The ambiance is not bad, it's just a Cambridge storefront. It's the kind of neighborhood place I'd drop into if I lived nearby and it was relatively easy to get into. But there was nothing here to again entice me to wait two months for a 5:30 weeknight reservation, battle rush hour traffic, and deal with the parking nightmare.