1682 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 6174412800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Pagliarini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Giulia Restaurant
Giulia is a chef-owned Italian restaurant located between Harvard and Porter Squares in Cambridge. This is the first restaurant of award-winning Chef Michael Pagliarini. Our focus is on inspired food and great service with true Italian vigor. We put a particular focus on our hand-crafted pastas, made each day on our custom-built chef"s table adjacent to the open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Giulia Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Giulia Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (110)special occasion (92)romantic (48)notable wine list (43)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (11)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Real Italian foodFoodieFamilyDined on 9/27/2014This place exceeded my expectations. We had all but given up on good food in the Boston/Cambridge scene after many meals that looked amazing, but lacked real flavor. At Giulia, we had great fresh pasta with seasonal ingredients and a fresh sardine main course. The food was really fresh and flavorful. We'll be back in the fall when all the wonderful braised meats and seasonal veggies hit their next menu.Special Features:
- Yum.OmnivoreVIPDined on 9/27/2014The problem with the menu is that there are too many interesting choices. While I tend to get a big plate of protein for dinner, I opted instead for a pasta dish because they make their own pasta and they're very proud of it. They should be. My wife's swordfish was perfectly prepared. Each dish seemed to have multiple ingredients but they didn't seem muddy or competing with each other. To the contrary, they married perfectly. Even the raw oysters got a complex treatment with a gooseberry mignonette. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- A Variable ExperienceSMGDABDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant dining area was clean and we were greeted quickly, politely and seated. The wait staff was attentive and took good care of us. We found the items we ordered very to be very different in taste. One might be flavorful and delicious and the other was either bland or bitter. Whether by design or our tastes, it suggests you need to know what you ordering to have the best experience. The most disconcerting thing about the visit was the men's room. The tiles above the sink were dirty and needed to be cleaned and there was a lot of paper on the floor. We did advise the hostess of this, but not sure if it was attended to. Overall a mid range experience and probably would not go back any time soon given the price value equation.Special Features:
- diner20Dined on 9/20/2014a little too noisy for me. No quiet spaces. Food wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A prototypical restaurantHVS05Dined on 9/15/2014not too big, not too small, not too fast, not too slow--everything here is just right!Special Features:
- Great little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Had an outstanding meal. The food was fresh and well prepared and there was a nice combination of flavors. Very highly recommended. Reasonably priced and much better than some high end places nearby.Special Features:
- Jesse G.JesseGDined on 9/11/2014Everything was excellent, but the pastas are out this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2mangoesaheadDined on 9/10/2014Always really good food. Not too fussy. GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerluv2eatVIPDined on 9/10/2014Ate at Giulia recently before attending the theater nearby. It was an exceptional visit with wonderful food, attentive servers, excellent choice of wine recommended by server, and casual atmosphere. I ordered papardelle with wild boar which I have never eaten before, but feeling adventurous and being told it was the restaurant's most popular dish, I took a chance. The sauce was rich and succulent and the boar tender and flavorful. Dessert was also unusual and delicious, panna cotta prepared in a very different way.Special Features:
- Great tasting menu dinner!SadieEatsDined on 9/8/2014Celebrated my birthday with the tasting menu. Had 11 different dishes, from small bites to pastas to entree to dessert. All were good, some outstanding. Excellent service! Our only suggestion would be to lower the lighting a bit to enhance the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, authentic Italian foodTakeABiteOutOfLifeDined on 9/8/2014A memorable meal from start to finish. The pasta is made on the premises as are several other items, e.g. sausages, so every dish has a distinct artisanal quality. From the oysters to the pate, the striped bass, their amazing gelato and every other dish that my party of three enjoyed, this is fine dining. Best of all, the atmosphere is casual, the prices extraordinarily reasonable for the calibre of food and the staff is genuinely caring and attentive. Enjoy it all and get the five course tasting menu...amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceBethDined on 9/8/2014Always great food. Incredible consistency. Wish it were easier to get a reservation but there is always the bar if you get there early enough. Always worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Italian Food in Bostonzen2goVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is one of the few kitchens in Boston (or anywhere in America) that understands the essential simplicity of Italian (NOT "Italian-American") cooking: fresh, superior ingredients; distinctive flavors and textures; as few ingredients and as little handling as possible to bring out those flavors and textures for the enjoyment of the diner. All pastas are house-made with great care, and presented with equal attention. The 5-course tasting menu, at $65.00, is one of Boston's best dining bargains. Helpful, well-informed service. What else could one wish?Special Features:
- Delicious every timeCariocagirl71Dined on 9/5/2014This was my third time dining at Giulia and it was just as enjoyable as the first time I was introduced to it. Each time I return I bring friends who have never been and they always leave saying they have to come back with so-and-so! The atmosphere is simple yet there is nothing simple about the food or the attentive service. Giulia is my go-to place now in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMathildacooksVIPDined on 9/3/2014Everything we had was delicious, esp the wild boar pappardelle. Staff was great!Special Features:
- still hard to get into but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Food was very good. Best panna cotta I've had, probably anywhere. I don't know much from wine so I can't comment on the wine list. Worth arranging your schedule around whatever reservation you can get, because a year on and it's still hard to get a reservation on short notice. Service was good, competent and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Would Go Back In a Minute!Food4goodVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had a wonderful experience at Guilia! The food was fantastic and creative; the wait staff were attentive but not intrusive and they have a Grappa list!! There was a very knowledgeable manager who went through the grappa list with me and then offered to do a "grappa flight" of 4 kinds! It was such a treat and at a very reasonable price. We felt very taken care of and the atmosphere was very comfortable. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food not as good as our last visitfoodloverDined on 8/28/2014We raved about the food on our last visit & could not wait to return. However, things changed. Our appetizers of brussels sprouts were burnt & sitting in a puddle of oil. The eggplant was prepared similar with the same faults. My pasta with bluefish had the skin left on it, on top of the overcooked pasta with a very uninspired tomato sauce. The other dish we ordered was a pesto with wholewheat pasta. Again, they really over did the amount of very oily pesto sauce. I don't think the pasta was really wholewheat? What happened here? Maybe an off night? The food was so outstanding last time.Special Features:
- Great pasta disheschopinOKDined on 8/27/2014With appetizers, desserts, beer, (no bottles of wine here) etc., price adds up quickly. However, the food is very good and the experience was a good one. I would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014OMG the "5" course tasting menu was phenomenal and more like 11 small courses!! BRAVO to all the kitchen staff and serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningSunnyDined on 8/25/2014Fresh made pasta and creative preparation, Giulia is a really great spot! The service was spot on and the wine options were delicious. My only complaint is that the lights were a bit bright. My husband and I went in for a special occasion and it felt like the overhead light was a spotlight above him. If the lights were a bit dimmer, it would have felt much more romantic.Special Features:
- BobbyBobbyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Really creating delicious, non fuss food. Everyone aims to please and the menu,especially the pastas, are hearty yet refined. Worth a short trip into Cambridge for a slightly different take on Italian food.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2014We have been to Guilia's several times and it b=never disappoints! There are some tried and true items on the menu...tagliatelle with wild boar and the arugula and prosciutto salad...and always something different to try. No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong! It's a great vibe, amazing food and great service...the recipe for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Nice appsarchDined on 8/22/2014Lovely appetizers, main dishes good too but next time I'm going to try more apps.
- Always AmazingKateDined on 8/21/2014My second trip did NOT disappoint. The staff remembered me, the food was better than I remembered, the wine was again, spectacular. There is a reason this is my favorite restaurant in Boston. It just screams GENERAL EXCELLENCE. Everything from the anchovies to the tuna crudo to the casarecce and bucatini to the gelato, you really have one of the most satisfying meals in one of the most intimate and beautiful restaurants. Will go back again and again (and again)!Special Features:
- terrible serviceluv2eatDined on 8/18/2014I gave you 5 stars because i know how hard it is to own and operate a restaurant. In reality, one of the worst dining experiences. 55 minutes for our apps. No acknowledgement or an apology. After apps arrived in 55 minutes, another hour for main course. Terrible. We ordered your most expensive wine on your list, ordered 3 apps, 3 pastas and 2 entrees. When I have guests like this, I always check to make sure this type of guest is taken care of because these are the type of customers you want to come back to your restaurant because they help your revenue stream and are good tippers. Even though the service was horrendous, I still tipped $80 dollars. I will not be returning to your place or recommend it. terrible terrible service.
- Outstanding dining!SusanADined on 8/15/2014I celebrated my birthday with my family on a recent Saturday night. The food was outstanding and the meal was leisurely but well-paced. I had the warm semolina cakes with crispy pancetta, the pasta with bluefish (absolutely outstanding) and the pistachio gelato. Giulia is a perfect spot for any special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014dinner was fabulous, service excellent and very welcoming staff.Special Features:
- love this placexxxxVIPDined on 8/9/2014each time I come back I am so impressed with everything about this restaurant - food, staff, ambience.Special Features:
- Favorite in CambridgeTabletalkerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Our second time dining here: loved it so much the first time, we came back...spot on fine-dining Italian dishes...excellent food, good wines and not insanely expensive. Warm brick interior walls, careful service, and thoughtful cooking. Grazie!Special Features:
- Couldn't be better!PamelaDined on 8/8/2014I have had nothing but excellent dinners at Giulia. Michael and his staff are creative chefs, the wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly as well as efficient.The greeters are always ready to welcome you. Terry makes a fabulous Negroni. My most serious problem there is deciding what to order--the amazing pastas, perhaps a dinner of all apps, wonderful entrees. And I always have a dessert--affogatto, pistachio gelato, chocolate terrine... I live two hours away, but when I am in Cambridge, this is where I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything here is fabulous!MLaurieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Everyone and everything was fabulous -- from the host to the bar tenders to the servers to the food and wine. My new favorite place in Greater Boston.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant... Great ChowOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/4/2014Why can't all restaurants be this good? The atmosphere is fine, simple, very casual. The tables are a little too small... and too close together for real comfort but you're willing to pay the price for such exciting chow. Some dishes took a little more time than you'd expect, but no matter as they were all served perfectly hot, right from the kitchen. Becomes a bit pricey as you can't resist the amazing food. Pastas are fantastic. Also loved the scallops. But don't go without ordering every vegetable dish that you can... the vegetables are absolutely stunning. Kudos to the chef, his kitchen team as well as the front of the house staff. A collaboration of excellence. Very exciting.
- utterly fabulouswinegeekVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been several times before, but this time we took friends and they were mightily impressed also. As a result of it being their first time, we overindulged, to say the least. The semolina cakes are to die for, as were the tiny clams "in brodetto". Really like the burrata and beets. Great (huge) veal chop special. The desserts were good, too. Their wine list still leaves us wanting. Their average price is about 2.25 time retail, and higher, and the quality doesn't match the food. Still, we'll undoubtedly be back.
- Fabulous Modern Italian foodmkmwDined on 8/1/2014Giulia is an amazing addition to an already great dining neighborhood. Their modern take on classic Italian flavors, ingredients, and techniques is consistently impressive and delicious! The menu is designed to work equally well for sharing or not. Sharing is recommended, of course, so one can experience as many of the vibrant flavors as possible!Special Features:
- A memorable mealKJM1Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant lived up to its billing--wonderful Italian food, highlighted by fresh house-made pastas. The service was friendly but not overbearing; the dining room was warm and inviting and had the feel of a nice neighborhood destination. The popular dishes--semolina cakes, pappardelle with wild boar--delivered as promised, and the oysters were terrific. Only quibble was the tight spacing of the tables in the front room, but that didn't keep us from having a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Best of the bestFoodieFavDined on 7/30/2014Cannot stop thinking about our lovely dining experience @ Giulia. The entire evening was perfection and the food exceeded our expectations. Fabulous service and atmosphere as well. The lights could have been a bit dimmer but that is a minor detail. Loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a great meal at Giulia. The sfizzi at the outset of the meal was a treat. My anchovy bites were prepared perfectly. My wife and I share the salumi plate to begin. Often this is an overpriced tasting of scant offerings...not so at Giulia where we received generous portions of salumis. My wife had the papardelle and I the orrechiette, both of which were excellent. Service was prompt, knowledgeable and professional. I wish we had ordered the chef's tasting menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic!DuckConfitDined on 7/24/2014Delicious homemade pastas, farm fresh vegetables, interesting combinations of ingredients (raw tuna, grilled celery, grapefruit), plus impeccable service (spot on wine pairings, splitting dishes that we said we were sharing, surprise birthday wishes, and great pacing before/between dishes)...our meal was spot on! Thank you Giulia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in Giulia!MartaVIPDined on 7/24/2014This was our first time in Giulia and it was definitely a great discovery. The food is very good, all very fresh and cooked well. The service was attentive, and, even though we had to wait a bit for our entrees, the rest of the evening was almost perfect. I now understand why the reviews are so good and I have to agree with the rest ... even though this might make it more difficult to find a table next time around!Special Features: