6 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gitanerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157886686x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30am
Bar & Patio: Monday through Saturday, 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Spanish, French
- Executive Chef: Bridget Batson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For unique dining experiences and special events, please contact Leila Seppa email@example.com, hosted in 5 Claude Lane Gallery, catered by Cafe Claude
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in a fully customizable, catered private dining experience on Claude Lane.
- Private Party Contact: Leila Seppa 4157886686x
- Cross Street: Bush St & Kearny St
- Public Transit: Muni: 2, 3, 4, 22, 30
Bart: Montgomery Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking as well as garages close by. Sutter/Stockton Garage off of Stockton or Bush Sts, or White House Garage on Sutter St, just past Kearny
A word from Gitane
Known as San Francisco’s hidden gem, Gitane’s interior exhibits the sexy playfulness of a 1930’s cabaret, the swagger of Serge Gainsbourg, and the audacious spirit of the 70’s disco era. Executive Chef Alicia Jenish is taking the gypsy Gitane back to her roots with a culinary program focused on Spain, France, and North Africa. Using whole animal butchery and a love for spice, expect to see rotating items such as grilled goat, seafood tajines, and house-made goat merguez.Continued
In other exciting news: Come check out the Patio Happy Hour, take on a house-made gin & tonic, sangria, or any other libation of choice and Chef Jenish will send you out her tapas du jour, patio only.
In other exciting news: Come check out the Patio Happy Hour, take on a house-made gin & tonic, sangria, or any other libation of choice and Chef Jenish will send you out her tapas du jour, patio only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gitane reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (50)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (30)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- very disappointingHappySFEaterVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had wanted to eat at Gitane for years, and we were extremely disappointed. The food--particularly the undercooked, confusing Summer Royale--was not good. The service was unimpressive as well; our waiter seemed to forget about us for long stretches of time. We won't be returning or recommending Gitane to friends.
- SubparUpliftingGourmandizerDined on 9/6/2014Not sure why our server would mention that our food would have arrived five minutes sooner if it hadn't been misdelivered, but she did (No one at our table had questioned the wait). This left me to wonder where our meal had spent the previous five minutes, and how many confused diners had picked over it before it reached our table. Judging by the texture of our chicken tajine and lamb chops, I'm guessing that it spent some of its circuitous journey under a heat lamp. We didn't see much more of our server that evening, which made it a bit of a challenge to get a second round of drinks, though the restaurant may have been short-staffed. I'm hoping that this was just an off night, but I'm not inclined to return.Special Features:
- GitaneFlashDined on 9/5/2014Different menu and good. Good service and not overly loud. Friendly knowledgeable staff. I would returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of blandGregDined on 8/27/2014Not the best eating experience, but far from the worst. Food was kind of bland - especially for the price.Special Features:
- So soDineroutVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was okay, it used to be more interesting, more refined.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This is the second year we've come here to celebrate my wife's birthday & there's a ton of reasons why. The food is amazing. The staff and service is amazing. The waitress overheard my wife comment on what a lovely birthday dinner and placed a candle with our dessert. I mean, who does that? It made my wife's birthday that much more magical. I love it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service was MediocreSFDinerDined on 8/21/2014Hello - the food and service was not very good here. The food was not tasty and it took the server multiple asks to bring anything including water and hot sauce.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed finding this out of the way gem tucked away in an alley that could have been in Paris. The food was outstanding and the ambiance romantic.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014A friend recommended this restaurant and it was awesome. The menu is small but inventive. The tuna, muscles and chicken entries were all delicious. The decor is unique and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a classicTruffleArtDined on 8/4/2014Came here to catch up with a friend a couple of days ago. The service and food were on-point complementing a tasty wine list. A great place when you want to impress and entertain without playing reservation games.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, no attitudeworksmenuDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten here twice now and have been really happy with the experience, aside from that the upstairs was really hot the first time. The tajine was really tasty and I really enjoyed talking to the sommelier, which is highly unusual for me.Special Features:
- Not for usRanniedheadDined on 7/25/2014We made reservations from out of the area based on reviews. The ambiance was cool but super dark. The walls were all painted black and the windows were all stained dark red. Just not our style. It was 90 deg outside and the upstairs dining room had no climate control. I felt like I was in a bikram yoga class. It also felt very dirty. We had specified that we were coming for the chef's tasting menu when made reservations, but when we arrived we were informed that the restaurant no longer did chef's tasting menus. Needless to say, we decided to decline our reservation and went next door to the little French place, which was pretty good.
- WHAT HAPPENED?luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014Having had som many delightful meals at Gitane, enjoying the food and ambiance, last Saturday was a true disappointment. On arrival, we had to wait 5 mins before the hostess returned to check us in, then downhill from there. Our waitress eventually showed up at the table, and asked"are you ready to order", as if we were in a fast food place. Each course was not how it was described on the menu, except for the lamb chops we all discovered. The waitress was too thinly spread, and seem to race from table to table. Some food came almost raw and inedible, gummy cous cous and thick tasteless flat breads, and all four of us left hungry, and at $75:00 a head, that is not one to repeat!. Will not return!
- Great food and drinks, but...sfnativeDined on 7/17/2014we had a 7:30 reservation and didn't get seated until almost 45 minutes later. We got their an hour early to have drinks at the bar prior to dinner, checking in with the hostess when we arrived. As 7:30 neared I checked in with the hostess and she explained to me that they had a large party that would be leaving at 7:45, already later than our reservation. She mentioned this in a very matter of fact way, didn't apologize for the wait, didn't offer any drink or app while we waited. As we continued to wait and wait she never checked in with us to let us know the status of the table. She sat 4 parties before us and didn't seat us until I approached her at the hostess stand. The food was great, but the evening was blemished by the wait.Special Features:
- Unique and deliciousCoupleoffoodiesDined on 7/15/2014We had a fantastic meal and wonderful experience. We were greeted immediately and although our table was ready upon arrival, we were given time to enjoy the bar until we were ready to go upstairs. The décor was very gypsy like with romantic lighting and music. Our server gave wonderful suggestions including a chicken mousse paired with various cheeses and brittles along with Chicken Tajine and Trout. I had read about the Bacon Bon Bons and gave them a try as well. They were very simple and very tasty. All were delivered promptly and exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed interesting cocktails and delicious wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKjpnycDined on 7/15/2014I was really just hoping for more. I thought the bacon Bonbons were ok, but a little greasy and missing a balancing element that made them seem oddly heavy. The lamb chop was not what I was expecting. The cut seemed like perhaps a loin chop and was thick and a bit tough, and the seasoning was very basic. The couscous it was served on was pretty good but the vegetables struck me as just a touch under cooked yet charred on the outside, like the person grilling them didn't quite have a handle on the heat of the grill. The glass of wine the server reccomended was nice at least.
- Gorgeous hideaway restaurantMissMiaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This place is fantastic! My friends and I were 'oohing and ahhing' all evening. This restaurant is tucked away down a small street / alley with a discreet entrance into a gorgeous hideaway restaurant. The ambiance and décor is tasteful and elegant. This is perfect for a romantic date or cozy outing with good friends. The food is amazing and the staff is very friendly. A total gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceXuseDined on 7/10/2014I went to Gitane with high expectations and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and I love the decor. The menu provides a nice variety of unique dishes and quality of ingredients is top notch. I would love to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gitaneewenDined on 6/26/2014enthusiastic vibe, original wines, friendly waiters, really enjoyed going.Special Features:
- Off night?FogCitySharkDined on 6/26/2014I have been to Gitane in the past and loved it! I had some amazing dishes and raved about the food and service so I was totally taken aback when we dined there yesterday. I was so excited to go back and we even took 3 people there to show it off. Sadly it was not at all what I had experienced last time just last month. The food was mediocre - I had the chicken tagine as did the other lady at the table, two of the guys had the mussels with chorizo and one had the ahi. The tagine was a mess of cous cous with scattered veggies and a thigh on top. I couldn't believe the thigh was tough! How is that possible? My knife and fork hit the tagine while slicing that I almost thought I broke it. Bland taste + not great service + large bill = sad.Special Features:
- A taste sensation.Jackstar312Dined on 6/26/2014This place has fantastic combinations of flavours & textures. Serrano, fig & blue cheese flatbread a must & I'm not a fan of blue. Delicious sangria too. The dimmed lighting made it atmospheric & service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsRWBucklinDined on 6/21/2014I took my children to this restaurant as I wanted them to taste the flavors of France/Spain before we go. While I quite enjoyed the food, it's not really a child friendly restaurant. There food was infused with a few too many flavors for them and even the Zatar (flat-bread) had too much garlic for their taste. It was also incredibly dark inside. We probably should have opted for eating outside. Good for foodies and adults, not so much for the pre-teen et.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the foodfabulizVIPDined on 6/19/2014The food is fantastic. We had the chicken liver mousse and baked fromage blanc (rich and delicious), the lamb tartare (very unique), the bacon bonbons, and the seafood tajine (superb). Everything was very enjoyable. The service was HORRENDOUS from beginning to end. The waitress also tried to tip herself 25% when I said she could charge me 20%.Special Features:
- All around gemSuzanneECDined on 6/14/2014Food and wine were outstanding; flatbread and tagine were standouts. Great atmosphere in the restaurant, beautiful bar. Sommelier was so nice and knowledgeable, she really helped pick out a Spanish wine that paired so well with our meal. I usually don't like lamb but really wanted to try it here and I was NOT disappointed, wonderfully cooked. Would definitely return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great decor, adequate foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014The best things about Gitane are the bar and the interior design. Service was also very good, and polite--our server was solicitous about not interrupting the flow of dinner conversation. The food, however, is just OK, and sometimes misses even that mark. We sent a lamb appetizer back because the lamb was overcooked, and when it came back again, it was tough and chewy. The poor quality of the meat wouldn't let it be cooked at a level of doneness proper to lamb. And a flat bread we shared was simply inedible. I eat pretty much everything put in front of me at a restaurant, but after one bite of the that flat bread, I put it down. It was later obligingly removed from our bill. If you want much better food, go to Cafe Claude next door.
- FantasticHappydiners2Dined on 6/13/2014We received a gift certificate for dinner. My husband I decided to dine at Gitane for our anniversary on Friday, June 13. We felt completely comfortable as soon as we entered the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014A bit expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseToosaywhatDined on 6/11/2014Nesting in one of the business district "back streets" where you can get away from the noise and hustle of both automobile and people traffic, Gitane offers a very nice respite from the usual restaurant fare with an intimate and romantic atmosphere for both the young and old. It's more traditional as a eatery…not trendy. Customers looked to be regulars. The menu and dishes were unfamiliar to myself, but a pleasant surprise when presented. They were delicious and the portions were generous. Our server was on point, knowledgeable, and professional. We had early reservations and enjoyed a quiet start but the noise level was substantial when the tables filled up. My only negative. Try it, if you like the food of Spain. I will return.Special Features:
- cozy place but food was terriblefoodieDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed the cozy atmosphere. Nice decor. I ordered the Vegetable tagine and was very disappointed. It was mostly cauliflower and had very little flavor. Dates in the dish gave it the only flavor.The liguid in the tagine looked like dishwater. My husband had the flatbread and it was just OK.
- Good, but not great.SonomaEatsDined on 6/7/2014The food was quite good, but when you order a Seafood Tourine, you expect there to be a substantial amount of seafood in it. 2 shrimp, 2 clams, 2 small fingers of white fish, and a mountain of Couscous. Service was great as well as the ambiance, but drinks are $12 each, even for the simple ones, and then they hit you with a 4% upcharge to offset their costs of paying for health care. Plus, the restaurant owners have found a loophole in the 4% mandate allowing them to keep the money for themselves. The server and the manager had no idea what the 4% was even for. I got home and searched 4% SF employee mandate to get the whole story. Sorry, not coming back. Just another good reason to dine at home in Sonoma.Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish ExperienceDandDDined on 6/6/2014Dined at Gitane three days after returning from a food and wine trip to northern Spain, wanting to see how our local fare compared. While the bar for comparison was high, we thought Gitane acquitted itself very well. The grilled lamb chops and papas bravos were excellent and compared well with similar dishes we enjoyed in Spain. The wine list struck us as expensive, but welcome to San Francisco. (We BYOB'd for $20 corkage.) The restaurant itself was beautiful; the service excellent and friendly. We were very satisfied with our experience at Gitane.Special Features:
- Love the food & ambience. Bar so soPatprovenceDined on 6/3/2014Great combination of flavors and excellent advice for wine pairing. Sad the bartender that night faked to be busy; never got back to us despite our request for drinks while waiting 20 minutes as our table was not "ready". Will come back though, just to see if the bartender is as good as the great decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Gitane!Star41632Dined on 6/2/2014A hidden gem on Claude Lane. Our server was so friendly and helpful. The bacon wrapped dates are to die for. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Excellent Andalusian Restaurantleda21Dined on 5/24/2014Perfect for an intimate romantic dinner. We were on our honeymoon and it was a good choice. The food was excellent (we had kale salad, squash blossom fritters, lamb and serrano trout), the ambiance and decor - great, the service - very good.Special Features:
- First time dining hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The food was delicious! Nice presentation, great flavor. Nice low lighting in the restaurant and not too loud or quiet. Our waitress was very sweet but maybe too busy- one of our sides never came and we had to ask someone other than our waitress for the dessert menu. Would definitely go back and recommend this to friends. It was a great date! We were there to celebrate my husband's birthday and the waitress made sure there was a candle on our dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special find in SFBruno2ltDined on 5/20/2014I went to Gitane recommended by the Cool Cities Guide, what a great hit! The place is gorgeous, tucked in an alley, one of those places only locals might know. Staff was super friendly and the food surpassed my expectations. A place to impress a loved one or friends from out of town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1240 reviews are from the Gitane reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/19/2014Fair food, but far too pricy considering the poor quality of the service, the hot and uncomfortable dining room, and the unbearable noisy level. Won't be back.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/17/2014Nothing memorable about this meal. It's a pretty and unusually designed space, fun to look at and comfortable considering it's kind of cave- like with no windows. Service was barely adequate, nothing that made our party of 4 feel like anyone cared whether we were there or not. Limited wine list, I had two by the glass, both were drinkable but nothing special for the price. Server not paying very close attention, as he served me a salad that contained an ingredient I had told him I couldn't eat. Salad was overdressed, padron peppers not nearly as delicious and addicting as others I've had, veg tagine seriously underseasoned with no discerning flavors emerging. Lamb tartar mediocre. We skipped desert and I would not go back.Special Features:
- Good food and interesting sceneNorriegDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed the food at Gitane and it is definitely a place worth a visit. The upstairs dining area is a smallish room with very interesting decor and although quite a tight fit, the noise level was adequate. The food varied from good to excellent, with the seafood tagine and the garden tagine both outstanding. There was an ssue at checkout that was unresolved, but overall the experience was positive for the quality of the food and the unusual and interesting surroundings.Special Features:
- Poor service offset by good foodNathDined on 5/14/2014Service turned us off. We saw our waitress 3 times the whole evening over the course of 2 hours and it was like pulling teeth to get anything done. At one point, someone else showed up (may have been the manager) to help me order a drink. Food was pretty good and eclectic. I'll be reconsidering whether I go to Gitane again.