6 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gitanerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 788-6686
- Hours of Operation:
Dining: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30am
Bar & Patio: Monday through Saturday, 5:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour! Monday-Friday 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Spanish, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For unique dining experiences and special events, please contact us!
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in a fully customizable, catered private dining experience on Claude Lane.
- Private Party Contact: Katherine Dao 4157388045x
- Cross Street: Bush St & Kearny St
- Public Transit: Muni: 2, 3, 4, 22, 30
Bart: Montgomery Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking as well as garages close by. Sutter/Stockton Garage off of Stockton or Bush Sts, or White House Garage on Sutter St, just past Kearny
A word from Gitane
Gitane’s interior exhibits the sexy playfulness of a 1930’s cabaret, the swagger of Serge Gainsbourg, and the audacious spirit of the 70’s disco era.Continued
Featuring an excellent Happy Hour from 5-7pm Monday-Friday with $6 cocktails & bites!
Featuring an excellent Happy Hour from 5-7pm Monday-Friday with $6 cocktails & bites!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Gitane reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (42)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (23)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (9)good for groups (7)late-night find (2)Show More
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014The waiter was the most awkward server I have ever met. Once we chose the appetizer he told us he hated it. It was actually very good. Other than him we had a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointed cause they didn't have sangriaAngaltsDined on 11/21/2014If sangria is listed in the menu its quite silly they said they didn't have sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner At Gitane'sMonty65Dined on 11/14/2014We had a memorable dinner of the highest quality, surrounded by eye pleasing decor. The service and food was exceptional... Bravo Gitane...See you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EccentricMarshiesDined on 11/4/2014Great twist on tapas. Execution fell short on couple of dishes. The octopus would have been perfect except to charred on ends. A shame as it was tender. Salt cod croquettes also suffered same problem. Destroyed the flavour.Special Features:
- Ambiance. . .and nothing moreOntheGoDined on 11/1/2014Fantastic venue. Food was very disappointing. Waiter compensated us for one meal without us even asking— I think even he could tell things were not what they should be. Overpriced, exceedingly small portions, and poor quality meal. Service was good.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant and service/decorNOTSFNATIVE1Dined on 11/1/2014Great Food, and ambiance, I love the decorations. Perfect for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denise B.eatanddrinkDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I dined here on Halloween night when we were in town. Not a big night for dining out so the restaurant was not busy. That was okay with us as the dining room was quiet and the service was attentive. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine list and suggested a Spanish wine we might not have ordinarily tried but it was very good.We ordered two small plates, a burata and frisee salad which was very good and a salmon tartare that was delicious! We split a short ribs dish as our entree and that, too, was excellent. Finally, for dessert we had a black walnut semifreddo with an apple polenta cake. Yummy! This is a beautiful little restaurant, tucked into a little corner of the city with very good food and wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2EatDined on 10/23/2014Intimate outdoor seating and good for people watching. However, service is very poor, slow and inattentive and food was mediocre for the price.Special Features:
- Upscale French dininggoodeatsDined on 10/18/2014Love the colors and decor in the restaurant. Outside seating is very cool. Lamb and pork were amazing and very flavorful. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great Food and AmbianceMackenzieQDined on 10/18/2014Definitely pricey, but everything was delicious. We sat upstairs and the ambiance was terrific...they do have outdoor seating but the thought of sitting under an awning in an alley was not appealing. It's not the outdoor seating you may expect, but indoors is great. I'd definitely recommend Gitane as a great special occasion dinner spot (and close to BART!).Special Features:
- Looks great, Needs improvementFoodBugVIPDined on 10/18/2014Gitane is a lovely restaurant, it has a wonderful bar, and upstairs there's an intimate dining room setting - there is also outdoor seating. The food, however, needs improvement. Out first courses were delicious: Kale salad and a Burrata appetizer. The main course was really not very good at all. I was also very disappointed that both my glass of champagne and glass of wine were served way too warm. They both tasted like they were stored at room temperature. When I mentioned this, there was no effort to replace it. I then asked for an ice cube to put in my champagne - which was promptly brought to me - they should have been ashamed of that. All this for a VERY steep price of $145/couple before tip. A steep price for mediocrity.Special Features:
- DisappointedFlashDined on 10/17/2014We were sat 15 min late, waited about 15 min just for water and the night continued this way. The food was a 50/50 split half our party enjoyed the food others were wishing they would have ordered something else. The Short rib was excellent, Formage platter was great & the chocolate mousse was wonderful.Special Features:
- Too cool Too hip Too disappointingHardtofoolDined on 10/11/2014This is where my girlfriend wanted to spend her birthday because she likes different, on the edge things. But even she said that this place was a joke ... Fun atmosphere but the food ... What food? A dot of sauce and some twigs of kale? Really? I give it 6 mos ...Special Features:
- Bohemian cool...trixieDined on 10/10/2014Loved the design & decor inside. Inventive menu & combination of flavours, textures, tastes. White sangria was refreshing but light on wine. Bon bons were excellent. Menu not good for picky eaters! Service was very s l o w. Soft-talking waiter nearly impossible to understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArbdayDined on 10/8/2014The food was good, but the service was not attentive or helpful. Overall, I probably wouldn't return.Special Features:
- A MUST!EricVIPDined on 10/7/2014I waiter was one of the best I've seen in a very long time! Give that guy a raise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014I recently had dinner at Gitane and it was such a surprise find. It had such a relaxing, yet cool vibe and a wonderful wine and appetizer selection. The staff was very friendly and the dishes we had were delicious. It was just the right size also - not too big and not too small but just right.I will definitely plan to return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the server was terrific--her onlybcdinerDined on 9/29/2014This place was recommended but did not live up to its billing. Entree (gnocchi) looked nothing like it should and was inedible. The server was terrific and tried her best to make amends and apologies. She spoke of a new Exec Chef but he/she was not there that evening. Not sure it would have made a difference. Not from the area and likely won't return to this spot with so many good spots in the near vicinity.
- Cool vibeGrublifeDined on 9/25/2014Lovely romantic place, good food & service - couple favorites were arugula salad and spanish pilsner. Only thing that was slightly annoying was what I assume was an electric mixer at regular intervals coming directly from the bar downstairs. . .which you can clearly hear due to the openness of the space.Special Features:
- Hidden Bathroom, confusing menuGitGoneDined on 9/20/2014Charcuterie's homemade bread ? not. Waitress made excuse about a new chef, so we ate toasted pita bread. For $23, that was unsatisfactory. Asked waitress twice- utensils, and twice for glasses of wine we had ordered. Took more than 10 minutes to arrive. She had 2 tables, at 10 PM. VERY STUFFY on top floor, with windows open. Sat next to an open one, complained of the heat. Waitress said, " everyone says it's stuffy here, I wish we could do something about it". If everyone insists they are uncomfortable dining in your restaurant, then fix it. Bathroom door was camouflaged by the gold painted metalwork. Door handle was not clearly marked, NOR AN EXIT SIGN POSTED. Fire hazard. A bit overpriced for the # of errors.
- Loved itjagehdDined on 9/17/2014Great food and good service. We sat outside which is a bit off the street so very quiet. We'll definitely go backSpecial Features:
- very disappointingHappySFEaterVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had wanted to eat at Gitane for years, and we were extremely disappointed. The food--particularly the undercooked, confusing Summer Royale--was not good. The service was unimpressive as well; our waiter seemed to forget about us for long stretches of time. We won't be returning or recommending Gitane to friends.
- SubparUpliftingGourmandizerDined on 9/6/2014Not sure why our server would mention that our food would have arrived five minutes sooner if it hadn't been misdelivered, but she did (No one at our table had questioned the wait). This left me to wonder where our meal had spent the previous five minutes, and how many confused diners had picked over it before it reached our table. Judging by the texture of our chicken tajine and lamb chops, I'm guessing that it spent some of its circuitous journey under a heat lamp. We didn't see much more of our server that evening, which made it a bit of a challenge to get a second round of drinks, though the restaurant may have been short-staffed. I'm hoping that this was just an off night, but I'm not inclined to return.Special Features:
- GitaneFlashDined on 9/5/2014Different menu and good. Good service and not overly loud. Friendly knowledgeable staff. I would returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of blandGregDined on 8/27/2014Not the best eating experience, but far from the worst. Food was kind of bland - especially for the price.Special Features:
- So soDineroutVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was okay, it used to be more interesting, more refined.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This is the second year we've come here to celebrate my wife's birthday & there's a ton of reasons why. The food is amazing. The staff and service is amazing. The waitress overheard my wife comment on what a lovely birthday dinner and placed a candle with our dessert. I mean, who does that? It made my wife's birthday that much more magical. I love it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service was MediocreSFDinerDined on 8/21/2014Hello - the food and service was not very good here. The food was not tasty and it took the server multiple asks to bring anything including water and hot sauce.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed finding this out of the way gem tucked away in an alley that could have been in Paris. The food was outstanding and the ambiance romantic.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014A friend recommended this restaurant and it was awesome. The menu is small but inventive. The tuna, muscles and chicken entries were all delicious. The decor is unique and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a classicTruffleArtDined on 8/4/2014Came here to catch up with a friend a couple of days ago. The service and food were on-point complementing a tasty wine list. A great place when you want to impress and entertain without playing reservation games.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, no attitudeworksmenuDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten here twice now and have been really happy with the experience, aside from that the upstairs was really hot the first time. The tajine was really tasty and I really enjoyed talking to the sommelier, which is highly unusual for me.Special Features:
- The following 1265 reviews are from the Gitane reviews archive.
- Not for usRanniedheadDined on 7/25/2014We made reservations from out of the area based on reviews. The ambiance was cool but super dark. The walls were all painted black and the windows were all stained dark red. Just not our style. It was 90 deg outside and the upstairs dining room had no climate control. I felt like I was in a bikram yoga class. It also felt very dirty. We had specified that we were coming for the chef's tasting menu when made reservations, but when we arrived we were informed that the restaurant no longer did chef's tasting menus. Needless to say, we decided to decline our reservation and went next door to the little French place, which was pretty good.
- WHAT HAPPENED?luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014Having had som many delightful meals at Gitane, enjoying the food and ambiance, last Saturday was a true disappointment. On arrival, we had to wait 5 mins before the hostess returned to check us in, then downhill from there. Our waitress eventually showed up at the table, and asked"are you ready to order", as if we were in a fast food place. Each course was not how it was described on the menu, except for the lamb chops we all discovered. The waitress was too thinly spread, and seem to race from table to table. Some food came almost raw and inedible, gummy cous cous and thick tasteless flat breads, and all four of us left hungry, and at $75:00 a head, that is not one to repeat!. Will not return!
- Great food and drinks, but...sfnativeDined on 7/17/2014we had a 7:30 reservation and didn't get seated until almost 45 minutes later. We got their an hour early to have drinks at the bar prior to dinner, checking in with the hostess when we arrived. As 7:30 neared I checked in with the hostess and she explained to me that they had a large party that would be leaving at 7:45, already later than our reservation. She mentioned this in a very matter of fact way, didn't apologize for the wait, didn't offer any drink or app while we waited. As we continued to wait and wait she never checked in with us to let us know the status of the table. She sat 4 parties before us and didn't seat us until I approached her at the hostess stand. The food was great, but the evening was blemished by the wait.Special Features:
- Unique and deliciousCoupleoffoodiesDined on 7/15/2014We had a fantastic meal and wonderful experience. We were greeted immediately and although our table was ready upon arrival, we were given time to enjoy the bar until we were ready to go upstairs. The décor was very gypsy like with romantic lighting and music. Our server gave wonderful suggestions including a chicken mousse paired with various cheeses and brittles along with Chicken Tajine and Trout. I had read about the Bacon Bon Bons and gave them a try as well. They were very simple and very tasty. All were delivered promptly and exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed interesting cocktails and delicious wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKjpnycDined on 7/15/2014I was really just hoping for more. I thought the bacon Bonbons were ok, but a little greasy and missing a balancing element that made them seem oddly heavy. The lamb chop was not what I was expecting. The cut seemed like perhaps a loin chop and was thick and a bit tough, and the seasoning was very basic. The couscous it was served on was pretty good but the vegetables struck me as just a touch under cooked yet charred on the outside, like the person grilling them didn't quite have a handle on the heat of the grill. The glass of wine the server reccomended was nice at least.
- Gorgeous hideaway restaurantMissMiaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This place is fantastic! My friends and I were 'oohing and ahhing' all evening. This restaurant is tucked away down a small street / alley with a discreet entrance into a gorgeous hideaway restaurant. The ambiance and décor is tasteful and elegant. This is perfect for a romantic date or cozy outing with good friends. The food is amazing and the staff is very friendly. A total gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceXuseDined on 7/10/2014I went to Gitane with high expectations and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and I love the decor. The menu provides a nice variety of unique dishes and quality of ingredients is top notch. I would love to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gitaneewenDined on 6/26/2014enthusiastic vibe, original wines, friendly waiters, really enjoyed going.Special Features: