6 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gitanerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157886686x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30am
Bar & Patio: Monday through Saturday, 5:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour! Monday-Friday 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Spanish, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: For unique dining experiences and special events, please contact us!
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in a fully customizable, catered private dining experience on Claude Lane.
- Private Party Contact: Katherine Dao 4157388045x
- Cross Street: Bush St & Kearny St
- Public Transit: Muni: 2, 3, 4, 22, 30
Bart: Montgomery Street station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking as well as garages close by. Sutter/Stockton Garage off of Stockton or Bush Sts, or White House Garage on Sutter St, just past Kearny
A word from Gitane
Gitane’s interior exhibits the sexy playfulness of a 1930’s cabaret, the swagger of Serge Gainsbourg, and the audacious spirit of the 70’s disco era. We're taking the gypsy Gitane back to her roots with a culinary program focused on Spain, France, and North Africa. Expect to see rotating items such as grilled goat, seafood tajines, and house-made goat merguez.Continued
Featuring an excellent Happy Hour from 5-7pm Monday-Friday with $6 cocktails & bites!
Featuring an excellent Happy Hour from 5-7pm Monday-Friday with $6 cocktails & bites!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gitane reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (42)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)Show More
- Great Food and AmbianceMackenzieQDined on 10/18/2014Definitely pricey, but everything was delicious. We sat upstairs and the ambiance was terrific...they do have outdoor seating but the thought of sitting under an awning in an alley was not appealing. It's not the outdoor seating you may expect, but indoors is great. I'd definitely recommend Gitane as a great special occasion dinner spot (and close to BART!).Special Features:
- Looks great, Needs improvementFoodBugVIPDined on 10/18/2014Gitane is a lovely restaurant, it has a wonderful bar, and upstairs there's an intimate dining room setting - there is also outdoor seating. The food, however, needs improvement. Out first courses were delicious: Kale salad and a Burrata appetizer. The main course was really not very good at all. I was also very disappointed that both my glass of champagne and glass of wine were served way too warm. They both tasted like they were stored at room temperature. When I mentioned this, there was no effort to replace it. I then asked for an ice cube to put in my champagne - which was promptly brought to me - they should have been ashamed of that. All this for a VERY steep price of $145/couple before tip. A steep price for mediocrity.Special Features:
- DisappointedFlashDined on 10/17/2014We were sat 15 min late, waited about 15 min just for water and the night continued this way. The food was a 50/50 split half our party enjoyed the food others were wishing they would have ordered something else. The Short rib was excellent, Formage platter was great & the chocolate mousse was wonderful.Special Features:
- Too cool Too hip Too disappointingHardtofoolDined on 10/11/2014This is where my girlfriend wanted to spend her birthday because she likes different, on the edge things. But even she said that this place was a joke ... Fun atmosphere but the food ... What food? A dot of sauce and some twigs of kale? Really? I give it 6 mos ...Special Features:
- Bohemian cool...trixieDined on 10/10/2014Loved the design & decor inside. Inventive menu & combination of flavours, textures, tastes. White sangria was refreshing but light on wine. Bon bons were excellent. Menu not good for picky eaters! Service was very s l o w. Soft-talking waiter nearly impossible to understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArbdayDined on 10/8/2014The food was good, but the service was not attentive or helpful. Overall, I probably wouldn't return.Special Features:
- A MUST!EricVIPDined on 10/7/2014I waiter was one of the best I've seen in a very long time! Give that guy a raise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014I recently had dinner at Gitane and it was such a surprise find. It had such a relaxing, yet cool vibe and a wonderful wine and appetizer selection. The staff was very friendly and the dishes we had were delicious. It was just the right size also - not too big and not too small but just right.I will definitely plan to return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the server was terrific--her onlybcdinerDined on 9/29/2014This place was recommended but did not live up to its billing. Entree (gnocchi) looked nothing like it should and was inedible. The server was terrific and tried her best to make amends and apologies. She spoke of a new Exec Chef but he/she was not there that evening. Not sure it would have made a difference. Not from the area and likely won't return to this spot with so many good spots in the near vicinity.
- Cool vibeGrublifeDined on 9/25/2014Lovely romantic place, good food & service - couple favorites were arugula salad and spanish pilsner. Only thing that was slightly annoying was what I assume was an electric mixer at regular intervals coming directly from the bar downstairs. . .which you can clearly hear due to the openness of the space.Special Features:
- Hidden Bathroom, confusing menuGitGoneDined on 9/20/2014Charcuterie's homemade bread ? not. Waitress made excuse about a new chef, so we ate toasted pita bread. For $23, that was unsatisfactory. Asked waitress twice- utensils, and twice for glasses of wine we had ordered. Took more than 10 minutes to arrive. She had 2 tables, at 10 PM. VERY STUFFY on top floor, with windows open. Sat next to an open one, complained of the heat. Waitress said, " everyone says it's stuffy here, I wish we could do something about it". If everyone insists they are uncomfortable dining in your restaurant, then fix it. Bathroom door was camouflaged by the gold painted metalwork. Door handle was not clearly marked, NOR AN EXIT SIGN POSTED. Fire hazard. A bit overpriced for the # of errors.
- Loved itjagehdDined on 9/17/2014Great food and good service. We sat outside which is a bit off the street so very quiet. We'll definitely go backSpecial Features:
- very disappointingHappySFEaterVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had wanted to eat at Gitane for years, and we were extremely disappointed. The food--particularly the undercooked, confusing Summer Royale--was not good. The service was unimpressive as well; our waiter seemed to forget about us for long stretches of time. We won't be returning or recommending Gitane to friends.
- SubparUpliftingGourmandizerDined on 9/6/2014Not sure why our server would mention that our food would have arrived five minutes sooner if it hadn't been misdelivered, but she did (No one at our table had questioned the wait). This left me to wonder where our meal had spent the previous five minutes, and how many confused diners had picked over it before it reached our table. Judging by the texture of our chicken tajine and lamb chops, I'm guessing that it spent some of its circuitous journey under a heat lamp. We didn't see much more of our server that evening, which made it a bit of a challenge to get a second round of drinks, though the restaurant may have been short-staffed. I'm hoping that this was just an off night, but I'm not inclined to return.Special Features:
- GitaneFlashDined on 9/5/2014Different menu and good. Good service and not overly loud. Friendly knowledgeable staff. I would returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of blandGregDined on 8/27/2014Not the best eating experience, but far from the worst. Food was kind of bland - especially for the price.Special Features:
- So soDineroutVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was okay, it used to be more interesting, more refined.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This is the second year we've come here to celebrate my wife's birthday & there's a ton of reasons why. The food is amazing. The staff and service is amazing. The waitress overheard my wife comment on what a lovely birthday dinner and placed a candle with our dessert. I mean, who does that? It made my wife's birthday that much more magical. I love it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service was MediocreSFDinerDined on 8/21/2014Hello - the food and service was not very good here. The food was not tasty and it took the server multiple asks to bring anything including water and hot sauce.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed finding this out of the way gem tucked away in an alley that could have been in Paris. The food was outstanding and the ambiance romantic.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014A friend recommended this restaurant and it was awesome. The menu is small but inventive. The tuna, muscles and chicken entries were all delicious. The decor is unique and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a classicTruffleArtDined on 8/4/2014Came here to catch up with a friend a couple of days ago. The service and food were on-point complementing a tasty wine list. A great place when you want to impress and entertain without playing reservation games.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, no attitudeworksmenuDined on 7/30/2014I've eaten here twice now and have been really happy with the experience, aside from that the upstairs was really hot the first time. The tajine was really tasty and I really enjoyed talking to the sommelier, which is highly unusual for me.Special Features:
- Not for usRanniedheadDined on 7/25/2014We made reservations from out of the area based on reviews. The ambiance was cool but super dark. The walls were all painted black and the windows were all stained dark red. Just not our style. It was 90 deg outside and the upstairs dining room had no climate control. I felt like I was in a bikram yoga class. It also felt very dirty. We had specified that we were coming for the chef's tasting menu when made reservations, but when we arrived we were informed that the restaurant no longer did chef's tasting menus. Needless to say, we decided to decline our reservation and went next door to the little French place, which was pretty good.
- WHAT HAPPENED?luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014Having had som many delightful meals at Gitane, enjoying the food and ambiance, last Saturday was a true disappointment. On arrival, we had to wait 5 mins before the hostess returned to check us in, then downhill from there. Our waitress eventually showed up at the table, and asked"are you ready to order", as if we were in a fast food place. Each course was not how it was described on the menu, except for the lamb chops we all discovered. The waitress was too thinly spread, and seem to race from table to table. Some food came almost raw and inedible, gummy cous cous and thick tasteless flat breads, and all four of us left hungry, and at $75:00 a head, that is not one to repeat!. Will not return!
- Great food and drinks, but...sfnativeDined on 7/17/2014we had a 7:30 reservation and didn't get seated until almost 45 minutes later. We got their an hour early to have drinks at the bar prior to dinner, checking in with the hostess when we arrived. As 7:30 neared I checked in with the hostess and she explained to me that they had a large party that would be leaving at 7:45, already later than our reservation. She mentioned this in a very matter of fact way, didn't apologize for the wait, didn't offer any drink or app while we waited. As we continued to wait and wait she never checked in with us to let us know the status of the table. She sat 4 parties before us and didn't seat us until I approached her at the hostess stand. The food was great, but the evening was blemished by the wait.Special Features:
- Unique and deliciousCoupleoffoodiesDined on 7/15/2014We had a fantastic meal and wonderful experience. We were greeted immediately and although our table was ready upon arrival, we were given time to enjoy the bar until we were ready to go upstairs. The décor was very gypsy like with romantic lighting and music. Our server gave wonderful suggestions including a chicken mousse paired with various cheeses and brittles along with Chicken Tajine and Trout. I had read about the Bacon Bon Bons and gave them a try as well. They were very simple and very tasty. All were delivered promptly and exceeded our expectations. We enjoyed interesting cocktails and delicious wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKjpnycDined on 7/15/2014I was really just hoping for more. I thought the bacon Bonbons were ok, but a little greasy and missing a balancing element that made them seem oddly heavy. The lamb chop was not what I was expecting. The cut seemed like perhaps a loin chop and was thick and a bit tough, and the seasoning was very basic. The couscous it was served on was pretty good but the vegetables struck me as just a touch under cooked yet charred on the outside, like the person grilling them didn't quite have a handle on the heat of the grill. The glass of wine the server reccomended was nice at least.
- Gorgeous hideaway restaurantMissMiaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This place is fantastic! My friends and I were 'oohing and ahhing' all evening. This restaurant is tucked away down a small street / alley with a discreet entrance into a gorgeous hideaway restaurant. The ambiance and décor is tasteful and elegant. This is perfect for a romantic date or cozy outing with good friends. The food is amazing and the staff is very friendly. A total gem!Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceXuseDined on 7/10/2014I went to Gitane with high expectations and was not disappointed. The food was excellent and I love the decor. The menu provides a nice variety of unique dishes and quality of ingredients is top notch. I would love to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gitaneewenDined on 6/26/2014enthusiastic vibe, original wines, friendly waiters, really enjoyed going.Special Features:
- Off night?FogCitySharkVIPDined on 6/26/2014I have been to Gitane in the past and loved it! I had some amazing dishes and raved about the food and service so I was totally taken aback when we dined there yesterday. I was so excited to go back and we even took 3 people there to show it off. Sadly it was not at all what I had experienced last time just last month. The food was mediocre - I had the chicken tagine as did the other lady at the table, two of the guys had the mussels with chorizo and one had the ahi. The tagine was a mess of cous cous with scattered veggies and a thigh on top. I couldn't believe the thigh was tough! How is that possible? My knife and fork hit the tagine while slicing that I almost thought I broke it. Bland taste + not great service + large bill = sad.Special Features:
- A taste sensation.Jackstar312Dined on 6/26/2014This place has fantastic combinations of flavours & textures. Serrano, fig & blue cheese flatbread a must & I'm not a fan of blue. Delicious sangria too. The dimmed lighting made it atmospheric & service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1255 reviews are from the Gitane reviews archive.
- Great FlavorsRWBucklinDined on 6/21/2014I took my children to this restaurant as I wanted them to taste the flavors of France/Spain before we go. While I quite enjoyed the food, it's not really a child friendly restaurant. There food was infused with a few too many flavors for them and even the Zatar (flat-bread) had too much garlic for their taste. It was also incredibly dark inside. We probably should have opted for eating outside. Good for foodies and adults, not so much for the pre-teen et.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the foodfabulizVIPDined on 6/19/2014The food is fantastic. We had the chicken liver mousse and baked fromage blanc (rich and delicious), the lamb tartare (very unique), the bacon bonbons, and the seafood tajine (superb). Everything was very enjoyable. The service was HORRENDOUS from beginning to end. The waitress also tried to tip herself 25% when I said she could charge me 20%.Special Features:
- All around gemSuzanneECDined on 6/14/2014Food and wine were outstanding; flatbread and tagine were standouts. Great atmosphere in the restaurant, beautiful bar. Sommelier was so nice and knowledgeable, she really helped pick out a Spanish wine that paired so well with our meal. I usually don't like lamb but really wanted to try it here and I was NOT disappointed, wonderfully cooked. Would definitely return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great decor, adequate foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014The best things about Gitane are the bar and the interior design. Service was also very good, and polite--our server was solicitous about not interrupting the flow of dinner conversation. The food, however, is just OK, and sometimes misses even that mark. We sent a lamb appetizer back because the lamb was overcooked, and when it came back again, it was tough and chewy. The poor quality of the meat wouldn't let it be cooked at a level of doneness proper to lamb. And a flat bread we shared was simply inedible. I eat pretty much everything put in front of me at a restaurant, but after one bite of the that flat bread, I put it down. It was later obligingly removed from our bill. If you want much better food, go to Cafe Claude next door.
- FantasticHappydiners2Dined on 6/13/2014We received a gift certificate for dinner. My husband I decided to dine at Gitane for our anniversary on Friday, June 13. We felt completely comfortable as soon as we entered the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014A bit expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseToosaywhatDined on 6/11/2014Nesting in one of the business district "back streets" where you can get away from the noise and hustle of both automobile and people traffic, Gitane offers a very nice respite from the usual restaurant fare with an intimate and romantic atmosphere for both the young and old. It's more traditional as a eatery…not trendy. Customers looked to be regulars. The menu and dishes were unfamiliar to myself, but a pleasant surprise when presented. They were delicious and the portions were generous. Our server was on point, knowledgeable, and professional. We had early reservations and enjoyed a quiet start but the noise level was substantial when the tables filled up. My only negative. Try it, if you like the food of Spain. I will return.Special Features: