Girl & the Goat
809 W Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Girl & the Goat
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://girlandthegoat.com/
- Phone: (312) 492-6262
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Stephanie Izard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: The Underground Goat, our 18 person private dining room, is not your typical private dining space and the name encapsulates exactly what you're looking forward to. Located under the main dining room, you and your guests will be lead downstairs, through the restaurant and into the "staff only" halls of the Goat. The room itself echoes the casual, rustic atmosphere of the main dining room and is host to the restaurant's wine and liquor stock - don't be surprised if you see the hardworking bar staff sneak in a few times to keep things rolling upstairs. Chef Stephanie Izard will design a family-style menu for you (dietary restrictions will not be ignored) and our beverage director will recommend wine, beer and/or a signature cocktail to match what Stephanie comes up with.
For more information visit http://www.bokagrp.com/eventsandcatering.php
or call 312.492.6262.
A word from Girl & the Goat
"Top Chef" Season 4 winner, Stephanie Izard is chef / owner of this new restaurant in the west loop. The menu will consist of 30 items, separated in the categories of vegetable, fish, and meat, with all items meant to be shared.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Girl & the Goat - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
Girl & the Goat reviews from OpenTable diners
794 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (685)hot spot (559)special occasion (421)good for groups (328)neighborhood gem (247)vibrant bar scene (213)romantic (141)notable wine list (119)late-night find (110)great for outdoor dining (52)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We had a fantastic meal at Girl and the Goat! Go with a group--you can try more of the dishes that way. We ordered a bunch and shared everything and it was fantastic. Loved the pig face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun sharing foodSkipixDined on 11/20/2014One of the great things of this restaurant is the ability to share all the dishes. This allows even the meek to brave a forkful of "pig face!" As a group you get to try more than just single person orders and because of the perfect portion size can get seconds of the more delectable items. BTW the bartenders are great and don't skip the breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time - will be backChuckDined on 11/19/2014I took my wife here for her birthday and we had a tremendous time. I recommend finding a reservation WAY ahead of time on OpenTable. Great selection of foods to be shared, decent wine list, helpful staff. My only nit is that it was a little loud for conversation. Overall, great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion Night PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014Upon recommendation of a friend, I took my friends to dinner. We ordered the goat empanadas huacatay . grilled mushroom giardiniera . queso fresco chickpea fritter tomatillo-tomato jam . green goddess . montamore escargot ravioli bacon . tamarind-miso sauce mt. lassen trout pumpkin brandade . fried brussels sprouts . candied pecans . pomegranate crisp braised pork shank buttermilk dressing .butternut-shiitake kimchee . naan apple buckle oatmeal-graham streusel . brown butter gelato miso-butterscotch budino bacon toffee . glazed pineapple . candied cashews They did not have a dry sherry and they don't have soy milk for coffee/espresso drinks. We all rated the desserts fabulous. Best entree Pork Shank Next best Trout The rest was okay, we enjoyed it, if we go back we would order something else. Including tip with a beer, a glass of wine and 2 Bailey's $200 for 4 people. The room was loud, the table setting was casual. Just not wowed. I had more wow at Roka Akor for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable dishes, great atmosphere but felt rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014I took my clients here for a dinner. The atmosphere was great and we were seated at a table by the kitchen. We even got to see Stephanie in action! So the visit started strong. I'll just keep this to the point though and say that the staff made us feel rushed. The only attention paid to us was when it was time to order. Nothing additional outside of that. And then the meal was coming to an end we felt very rushed to move along so the table could be seated for the next group. The check was even brought to our table along with our desserts but also before we had a chance to ask for coffee. Then when we almost finished up there the sat open seats around us with new dishes. I even got the floor manager watching us which felt like she was watching, hoping we'd leave. Considering how much we dropped on this meal, that really changed my opinion of the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014This is now one of my favorite restaurants. I came here on the advice of a friend, who is a chef. I could not have been happier! The staff was so friendly and accommodating, and the food, absolutely magical. This was an amazing experience. I live in San Diego, but will return to Chicago for this restaurant. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Experience but quality has gone down.AmandaHDined on 11/18/2014I have been to Girl & the Goat about 8 times now and have loved it up until this point. The food quality has definitely gone down. I am not a picky eater but when you have dinners so memorable that you keep coming back for more, it is pretty disappointing when items don't taste the same. The cauliflower was average and was a little burned. This is the item that I usually rave about and have tried duplicating the recipe at home. The bread was ok, the two spreads were a weird choice. The goat shank had a pretty strange flavor to it. I tried heating it up last night and still couldn't get used to the taste. Basically $25 down the drain just for that menu item. The other items we had ordered were good but not something that I would order again. Just pretty disappointing, spent $50 each person and I am not really sure I would come back here. If anything I would like a refund. I had referenced this restaurant to my friend who went for the first time on Sunday and she said the same thing. The food was just good, nothing spectacular and that she wouldn't make the hassle to get a reservation months in advance again. Girl & the Goat has been one of, if not my favorite restaurant in the city. I really hope others who have been here before can speak up about the change in quality because I do love this place. I do want to come back again, but not until I know the quality is back up to where it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food very noisylalsaysVIPDined on 11/18/2014the food is well prepared and tasty. pleasant wait staff who are available but busy. the breads are outstanding. the goat shank and string bean dishes were excellent. the noise level (music plus loud conversations) is loud----not a place for a group conversation but perfect for a loud, boisterous celebration with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reserve 3 months out for adventurous foodCharlie60660Dined on 11/16/2014We've eaten at Girl and the Goat twice now. In both cases, we ate at hours more suited to dinner in Madrid or Buenos Aires than Chicago—9:30 P.M. in the most recent case, 10:00 P.M. last year. As we were leaving this year, my husband asked the receptionist (at 11:30 P.M.) how far in advance one needs to make a reservation to eat at, say, 8:00 P.M. The answer, for a weekend, was about three months. So plan far, far ahead. It will be worth it, because chef Stephanie Izard plays with flavors in ways that other chefs simply don't. Our $4 bread course included an Italian sausage bread with stout butter and picalilli. Confit of goat belly came with bourbon butter (which wasn't very strong), crabmeat, extraordinarly succulent chunks of lobster, and fennel shavings. Escargot ravioli came in a tamarind-miso sauce. All of what we ordered was tasty, although because Izard constantly challenges traditional taste pairings, not every dish was an unqualified hit. Girl and the Goat is a small plates restaurant, with pricey wine and cocktail lists, so the bill can rise quickly. We spent about $175 for two on our most recent visit; if we'd limited ourselves to one glass of wine each, the total might have been more like $110 plus tax and tip. Service is consistently knowledgeable and helpful, well worth your 20%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, poor servicemmoonDined on 11/16/2014Food and ambiance was amazing, however the service was not so great. The server seemed to be a little disorganized and not as attentive. We had ordered another dish from the general manager (nice to pour us wine), she forgot to fire our request and we ended up not receiving our food at the end. We had reminded two servers following our first request from the manager. At the end, she apologized and provided an extra dessert dish. It was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the hypeibutlerDined on 11/16/2014Girl & The Goat met and exceeded my expectations. Everything was amazing beginning with the service. The staff were casual and professional allowing a great experience. The food was incredible and if I had more time I would have tried to return for a second night in a row. Fantastic meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5-Star Service Without PretensionAndreaDined on 11/15/2014It is easy to see why Girl & the Goat continues to be such a difficult reservation to get. From the time our reservation was made all the way through dinner, the service was excellent but completely nonpretentious. The food, of course, was creative and delicious, and we received assistance in selecting a wine that we ultimately loved and was a perfect pairing with our meal. Though everything was wonderful, our favorite dishes were the chickpea fritters and the pig face. I informed the staff in advance that the reservation was for a special occasion, and our server made a point of mentioning it throughout the night, and presenting us with a special dessert at the end of our meal. Overall we had a top notch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Great and innovative tapas dining in a very friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the Hypebbyrne3Dined on 11/14/2014Fantastic food combination. Loved the Pork Shank, the breads and the Goat Empanadas. Waited 3 months for a reservation and immediately made another one for 3 months down the road....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Restaurant. EVER!Kitkat99Dined on 11/13/2014Unbelievably great food! Very nice servers! Reasonable prices too! Will definitely return. Reservations necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestChiefDined on 11/13/2014Girl & The Goat is the best restaurant I've eaten in since moving to Chicago 4 years ago. The food is for adventurous eaters or Foodies but if given a taste, even the pickiest of eaters would appreciate the flavors. The food, sauce and garnish mixtures explode with flavor in your mouth! My boss flys in from Boston at least once a month and Girl & TheGoat isamust on every trip, if we can get a reservation. Put your name in now, it is well worth the wait!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sassy64Dined on 11/13/2014IT'S ALWAYS A PLEASURABLE EXPERIENCE. THE FOOD IS GREAT. I ENJOY HOW TH MENYU CHANGES AND MAKE SYOU WANAT TO RETURN BEFOR EIT DOES!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014Every dish was well constructed and presented. More importantly the food tasted excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2014The food was really great and different than anything we'd ever had before. The Pig Face and Pork Shank were amazing. Service was awesome. The seating is...cozy. Everyone was really close together but it was fun. People around us were all suggesting menu items to each other. Ambience was great as well. Definitely somewhere you must go in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014Awesome food!! It was well worth the wait to get into The Girl and The Goat. The cocktails were a great start and the food blew my expectations out of the water. We as a table decided to be adventurous and order items that we'd never dream of ordering otherwise: duck tongue, beef heart, pig face and goat belly were just a few highlights. The servers were thoughtful in the order in which they presented our food which enhanced the flavors and experience. I can't recommend this restaurant enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menuGATGVIPDined on 11/11/2014This menu was incredibly eclectic with items you won't find anywhere else. From the beef hearts to the braised octopus, to the many varieties of goat on the menu, you will be sure to find something every foodie will love. The bar scene is great too-cozy, lively atmosphere with an open kitchen which makes even a cold Chicago night feel warm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It lived up to the hype!GOATDined on 11/11/2014I have been wanting to go to Girl and the Goat since it opened. I was such a fan of Stephanie on Top Chef! I went for my birthday and it was such a treat. The food was amazing. Such flavor every morsal had. The best was the pig face (you don't see the face) and the miso-butterscotch budino. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goat!laquintaladiesDined on 11/10/2014We really liked this restaurant, though it was tough getting a reservation. The goat confit was very good, as was the broccoli side. If anything, the portions are very large (even though they are meant for sharing), so order less than you think you should.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buzzing restaurant and barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014Amazing place. Great food and staff. Very lively and interestingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go!BiBiTiTiVIPDined on 11/10/2014It is extremely difficult to make reservation unless you don't mind having dinner after 10pm. so make your reservation early but it's definitely worth it. Food is creative, very well executed and just delicious. We ordered 9 dishes for 4 of us plus a bottle of wine, the total bill came to about $200. Very reasonable for this place. Roasted pig face, braised beef tongue, grilled beef heart, goat liver... were all good. The only dish we didn't enjoy was the escargot ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsJulieDined on 11/10/2014Girl in the Goat is the type of establishment that reminds you why you live in Chicago. It is another gem in our fabulous city, always packed, always great- a Randolph Street star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G&G experiencesue12Dined on 11/10/2014Very interesting food; nice setting. Too loud for an intimate dinner and kind of pricey. I will definitely go back, though. Awesome octopus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but...FoodieDined on 11/9/2014Food was great, their bread is AWSOME, the only issue i had is that i felt rushed by the server, it was sunday night and it wasnt packed so i could've enjoyed more the experience if i had more time to share with my partners....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Disappointing WineDaveDined on 11/8/2014Came with a group of 5. Very accommodating for food allergy (onions) and food and service was outstanding. Red malbec was disappointing considering the price; the french sauvignon blanc was much better. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentSmileydinerDined on 11/8/2014This is, by far, our favorite restaurant. The food is always excellent, the servers are knowledgeable and the ambiance is energetic - just like we like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealotbtfoodiesDined on 11/7/2014We had a fantastic meal and enjoyed all our shared plate dishes , tey were all delicious. The service was fantastc and we were never without something in front of us. Prices were reasonably .Special Features:
- Too loud !nadouDined on 11/7/2014Food was ok and the service was good but with tables too close to each other and loud music it is very hard to hear each otherSpecial Features:
- Worth the wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014It was AWESOME. We have been waiting for years - had tried many times for reservations but always had to cancel because we booked them so far out. Finally made it happen and LOVED everything about it. I was thinking about the food the whole next day. My husband wanted the Pigs face - I was a little horrified and then it was my favorite thing!! I could go on and on about the food - everything was amazing. The atmosphere was totally cool. Music was high energy and loud but didn't effect conversation - just kept atmosphere fun. Can't wait to go back!!!!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNolaBBVIPDined on 11/5/2014Exactly what a dining experience should be! Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally dined here!JillEdDined on 11/5/2014I have been dying to eat here for a few years. I have had apps and drinks in the bar but this is the first time i was able to get a table. We brought some new friends and they loved it!Special Features:
- best1stdateDined on 11/4/2014really incredible dining experience......the whole package of food, service, ambiance was amazing.Special Features:
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014The reservation list runs long, but very worth the wait.Special Features:
- fantasticAnnieDined on 11/3/2014the ambiance and service were outstanding, and the food speaks for itself. Each dish is unique and refreshing. I have been twice in the past two weeks, and will be back!Special Features:
- Girl & the Goat! Gem of GreektownMehhhhMehhhhDined on 11/2/2014i later found out that making reservations for 8 a week & 1/2 prior to seating was extremely lucky. i now understand why. what a truly pleasurable experience my party of 8 had on our night of fine dining. our server, hunter was EXCELLENT, informative, patient & enthusiastic in his passion for ensuring that we had the ultimate experience. i will recommend girl & the goat to all i know in chicago, or who will visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Yummy YummyKiwiMumDined on 11/2/2014Our favorites were the pork face and the baby octopus. So delicious. Peppers were good as well. This is a place where everyone orders a few dishes and shares. The food is rich and delicious. The vibe is good. The cocktails were great. The service is friendly. Did I mention the food is delicious? Go and enjoy it for yourself.Special Features: