Girl & the Goat
809 W Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Girl & the Goat
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://girlandthegoat.com/
- Phone: 3124926262
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Stephanie Izard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: The Underground Goat, our 18 person private dining room, is not your typical private dining space and the name encapsulates exactly what you're looking forward to. Located under the main dining room, you and your guests will be lead downstairs, through the restaurant and into the "staff only" halls of the Goat. The room itself echoes the casual, rustic atmosphere of the main dining room and is host to the restaurant's wine and liquor stock - don't be surprised if you see the hardworking bar staff sneak in a few times to keep things rolling upstairs. Chef Stephanie Izard will design a family-style menu for you (dietary restrictions will not be ignored) and our beverage director will recommend wine, beer and/or a signature cocktail to match what Stephanie comes up with.
For more information visit http://www.bokagrp.com/eventsandcatering.php
or call 312.492.6262.
A word from Girl & the Goat
"Top Chef" Season 4 winner, Stephanie Izard is chef / owner of this new restaurant in the west loop. The menu will consist of 30 items, separated in the categories of vegetable, fish, and meat, with all items meant to be shared.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Girl & the Goat - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
Girl & the Goat reviews from OpenTable diners
730 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (609)hot spot (497)special occasion (401)good for groups (272)neighborhood gem (219)vibrant bar scene (170)romantic (138)late-night find (108)notable wine list (104)great for outdoor dining (73)great for lunch (23)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (4)Show More
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We tried multiple dishes off the menu and Stephanie Izard is a genius! We dined at Alinea the night before, Girl & the Goat blew them out of the water. Every dish was flavorful, thoughtful and cohesive. One of my favorite places to eat in Chicago!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great food, finger licking good! dishes were put together so well.Special Features:
- AwesomeShellierovkDined on 9/19/2014I am from my and have tried to visit girl & the goat on my last two trips to Chicago, finally made it and do glad I did. It was awesome, there are so many options and they were all so unique! I loved the crudo with pork belly and the dessert with pistachios. The drinks are also too good!! I wish there was one in NY!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary at Girl and the Goat this weekend. It was our first time there and I booked the reservation 2 months ago. We absolutely loved it. Great food, great service. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for groups larger than 4 at a time because of portion size, but everything was absolutely lovely!! Thanks again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014This was my second time to the Girl & the Goat. Again, I wasn't disappointed! The food was fabulous and the atmosphere was great. You can't go wrong with the Wood fire Pig's face!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fulfillingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I was skeptical, but myfriend dragged me here, and I was very happy with the selections, which are very unique, and the service, which was outstanding.Special Features:
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014I had heard race reviews about the Girl and the Goat and I was very excited to take my mom and a few of her friends there for dinner. I was surprised to be so disappointed, notably by the music--rap was blaring at 5:15 PM. I can understand the music being loud later in the night, but not for an early dinner. The waitress was hard to understand and I had a hard time talking to the person next to me. The courses came out so quickly too. It was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Lives up to ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014My girlfriend had been wanting to check this place out for a awhile. She's a celiac but it didn't affect her choices that much. Please note their fish sauce (used in several dishes) may contain trace amounts of wheat. She, however, didn't have any reaction. Also, some of their fried foods use oil that may have had gluten in them (we avoided these). Cocktails were very good and unique. As for the meal itself I looked at what other people had recommended and went off suggestions that appealed to me. I'd suggest you do the same. I'd recommend the Pig Face and Cauliflower dish. We'll definitely be back again...just make sure you get your reservation in 6-8 weeks ahead of time (even further out for a Thursday-Saturday date).Special Features:
- awesome foodgauravDined on 9/15/2014When we did the reservation and got a late night spot, then we were thinking what is the whole fuss about this restaurant? After eating there, we realized the reason. The food was just brilliant. Perfectly cooked and presented. I travel a lot across US, but I have not eaten yet at a restaurant which had all courses better than other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknickDined on 9/15/2014It is difficult to describe in 50 characters the exceptional food at the Girl & the Goat. It is just astounding, great food, great place, great service. I recommend the pig face. It was an unforgettable experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Unique restaurantFoodFoodFoodDined on 9/15/2014I really enjoyed our dinner here - got to try several unique dishes. If you like interesting meats, this is the place. I tried duck tongues, raw goat, and pig face here... along with scallops and some delicious sourdough bread with tzatziki and hummus. Definitely for the adventurous. Cocktails were fantastic (and strong!) and went well with the food. Everything was delicious, although I will say I could tell it wasn't the healthiest food. Very hard to get in for a normal dinner-time reservation, but well worth the wait until 9PM. The service was good, too. It would be more fun to go as a group, given the dishes are served family style in generous servings, but my boyfriend and I were happy going as a couple, too.Special Features:
- Great Spot!ElleDined on 9/15/2014This was my third time at Girl & the Goat, the food was great as always. Shout out to their bartenders for making great drinks and being so attentive while we waited for our table.Special Features:
- If you can get a reservation, GO.pancakeheadDined on 9/15/2014Some of the best food i've had in a long time. The salmon and broccoli were both great savory dishes, the pb&j was an amazing dessert. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestImHungryDined on 9/14/2014This place is the absolute best. The food, the scene, the drinks and the people made it the greatest dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantJackoDined on 9/14/2014A truely fantastic restaurant. Food was amazing, service was great and really reasonable on the proce. Would definitely recommend this place to any foodies and would definitely go again when next visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Crazy, tasty dishesTrueVIPDined on 9/13/2014We get to the restaurant and are quickly seated with menus. It's 5:45 and the place is packed. Before anyone can really start looking, I mention that I know some of these dishes have an unusual mixture of ingredients, but everything I've ever had has been in the range of good to really special. This is when I find out my friends from Detroit were a little wary of the menu when they had looked online. By the end of the first dish, their reservations have disappeared. We shared a couple of the breads, ham frites, kohlrabi salad, squash blooms, scallops, broccoli, muscles, and the budino for dessert. Highlights were the scallops, muscles (which I usually pass on), and the budino. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Evening!CandiTiffanyDined on 9/13/2014If you are looking for outstanding food, creative options, great atmosphere...look no further. We had an excellent meal with a server who was spot-on in terms of how many dishes to order for our party as well as which items to order. Loved the pig's face, scallops (new to the menu and a "must have", and many others! I can't wait to return?Special Features:
- Worth the waitItaliangemVIPDined on 9/10/2014I had reservations 3 months ago and waited that long to finally go here and it was definitely worth it. Everything we ordered was very flavorful. The drinks were really good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday dinnerBarryDined on 9/10/2014Our experience was fantastic. It's a small plate dining experience and the as soon as one dish was finished the next plate was arriving. The waitstaff was on the spot with new dishes, silverware and to refill out water. The prices were not as high as my wallet feared and the food was absolutely amazing. I will recommend this restaurant to everyone I know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumHeatherNDined on 9/10/2014I've never not enjoyed the food or service at this restaurant. Consistently wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet without pretentensionGot2eatDined on 9/10/2014Girl and the Goat offers a wide array of delicious food presented beautifully by a friendly and efficient staff. The atmosphere is warm, welcoming and extremely aesthetic. If you are early for your reservation, you can sit comfortably at one of the comfy couches and have a delicious cocktail or one of the many wines or beers offered. You never feel rushed or as if they are trying to turn your table. The timing of the food delivery is very impressive. You order everything at once, but it is brought out in well timed intervals so that your table is not overflowing, and so that your food never has a chance to get cold. The staff describes the dishes and answers questions without a hint of snootiness and the food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great experience, we wil be back. Wish I could figure out how to get a reservation for a decent time....alll that's ever available is before 5.30 and after 9.30.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014and I think the portion size even grew since the last time I was there.Special Features:
- Best food EVER12thManDined on 9/9/2014Vistited from Seattle and was so happy we ate here. The food and ambiance far surpassed our expectations. We enjoyed the family style small portions- it was great to be able to try so many different things in one evening. Interesting combinations that melted in your mouth. Will come here everytime we visit Chicago again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KMPADined on 9/9/2014Excellent innovative dishes; we have learned to order only 2 dishes at a time, and pause in between since they may rush you by bringing too many dishes at once, especially at earlier seatings; overall great time.Special Features:
- Good again, but beware the salt!stcolfaxVIPDined on 9/9/2014We had several small plates, but some like the broccoli were very very salty.Special Features:
- Just so so...DefoodieDined on 9/9/2014I was expecting to be wowed and it just didn't meet the mark. I read reviews ahead of time and was probably psyched up too much by the reviews. We were a party of 3 and ordered 6 dishes. The roasted cauliflower was burnt. They buried the worst pieces at the bottom, the roasted pig face was pretty dry. The best dish was the halibut. So flavorful but such a tiny portion. Later in the night we were looking for a cup of coffee and discovered the other girl and the goat diner type restaurant across the street. Maybe next visit to chicago we'll try there. The mocha coffee really hit the spot.Special Features:
- Over rated and over pricedbbbbbDined on 9/8/2014Was very disappointed, after trying to get a reservation for a long time. Felt that the portions were small and very expensive. The waiter explained that their menu was designed to be several plates to share, and recommended ordering at least 5 or 6 as a start. we decided on 3 to start. After the second plate we were ready to go somewhere else, but the food was coming out to fast. The plates were hitting the table before we were half way through the previous one. I also felt that $20 for 2 medium/small scallops was a lot. And that there was only bottle of wine on the entire list that was under $40.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2014Excellent food and service, way too noisy, unnecessarily so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Service and FoodLouieDined on 9/7/2014The food was incredible! and the service was perfect. Our server was incredibly nice and informative of the menu. We sat at the kitchen bar top, it was great to watch the food being prepared. Great prices, great ambiance, and wonderful lighting. Definitely want to go back next time i'm visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- OveratedazgoingDined on 9/7/2014After reading all those praises and how difficult it is to have a reservation at this restaurant , our expectations were high. The staff and the service were good. Even with this big noise and the fact that you are practically sitting on your neighbor's knees, we enjoyed the atmosphere - better to know before going, though. The menu is different and interesting, but the food is barely OK, a lot of salt and oïl (even if it's olive oïl... ). Really, we wondered why people are so thrill by this place and why you need to place a reservation MONTHS in advance to be allowed in... Better reputation than food, we would say...Special Features:
- Exceeded all expectations!BlakeDined on 9/5/2014Food was incredible across the board. Make sure you try the pig face and duck tongues. We also had the goat belly confit that was the highlight of the meal but that was on the seasonal menu so it may not be available all of the time. Hardest part of the evening was trying to get a reservation! We called in July for a September date and ended up with a 9:45pm reservation. They were still seating tables close to midnight and likely could have done so for a few more hours. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Don't bring out of town parentsTayloraeVIPDined on 9/5/2014My dad's girlfriend was not pleased with the table behind us SCREAMING and just the overall loudness of the restaurant. The food was pretty damn good though. I had the squid salad (or whatever it was) sans bacon (cause I'm allergic to that sh*t) and it was smokey and delicious. Anyway, we had to leave quicker than I would have liked because of the noise level.Special Features:
- AmazingkamiidiazDined on 9/5/2014I came from out of town in Calgary, AB and heard about this restaurant through a few people. Wanting to make sure I could go, I booked the reservation 3 months in advance. The food here is unreal. I am a huge foodie and love trying new restaurants. The serving style here are sharing plates (each plate can be shared among 2 people), and in total we had 5-6 plates (including dessert) for my boyfriend and I. Food is innovative, interesting, and made up of ingredients I wouldn't normally hear of putting together but are INCREDIBLE. If I lived here I would come back over and over again. Loved loved loved it.Special Features:
- Worth the waitDinerDined on 9/4/2014Made the reservation months ahead of time and it was SOO worth it! Great atmosphere, outstanding food and service! My favorites were the goat empanadas, pig face, and the cauliflower! We were fortunate enough to be sitting at one of the chef's table - what a fun experience (recommend this if you can). Love the whole place and already have reservations to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointedChiTownGirlVIPDined on 9/4/2014I have been to Girl and the Goat nine times over the past few years. It is always a dinner that I look forward to and whenever I can, I bring someone with us that has never been there before. This time we brought guests from out of town but I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. The food across the board was just OK - not the excellent or very good that I have had in the past. The service was good but quite impersonal - from the time we arrived to the time we left. Efficient but not very warm. This was one of the few times that I did not see Stephanie at the restaurant. Don't know if the two are related.
- amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014For a restaurant THAT busy, I wouldn't expect that the server would spend so much time explaining the menu and chatting with us. Food was flavorful and creative. I would recommend this to a friend!Special Features:
- One of the best!MrsBDined on 9/2/2014Food was amazing! We ate the duck tongues, grilled baby octopus, roasted pig face, roasted cauliflower and braised pork shank! We got full with 5 entrees! But it was worth trying all those food! Amazing service! It was just loud inside! Overall, 10 out of 10 is what I will rate this restaurant!😋Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie spotLeftCoastinDined on 8/30/2014This place lived up to the hype. Service was welcoming, and efficient. Ambiance was cool-- more modern and noisier than we expected, but still totally fine for a conversation. Food was killer. Dessert was killer. Wine was killer. Call 1 month ahead for a reservation-- the only thing I could get from 3 weeks out of Labor Day was 10:45 on Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Foodhab10213VIPDined on 8/30/2014The food is eclectic and top notch. We will be going back as soon as we can get another reservation. My fiancé said it was the best meal he's had in his entire life. I would have rated this 5 stars however, I felt like I was sitting on top of my neighbors on either side. The tables were so incredibly smashed together it was near uncomfortable. Do not go here if you are claustrophobic. It was also quite loud. Service was also just average. Go for the food, not the experience.Special Features: