11334 Moorpark St.
Studio City, CA 91602Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.girasolrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8189242323x
- Hours of Operation:
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday-Wednesday - 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday-Saturday - 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: CJ Jacobson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities:
- A stellar culinary experience for your guests
- Custom menus by Top Chef CJ Jacobson
- Perfect for business luncheons & holiday parties
- Main dining room seats up to 40
- Patio seats up to 26
- Entire restaurant seats up to 100
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8189242323x
A word from Girasol
At Girasol, the backbone of our refined-rustic cuisine is defined by the changing seasons, our relationship with local farmers, and Executive Chef CJ Jacobson’s interpretation of California cuisine. Girasol is focused on supporting local farmers and purveyors by using sustainable products to bring our guests a dining experience that is both approachable and unique. The design, inspired by our namesake, the sunflower, evokes a warm and inviting environment suitable for any occasion. We welcome you to experience our cuisine and hospitality in a neighborhood-friendly atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Girasol - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Girasol reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (183)neighborhood gem (156)special occasion (103)hot spot (61)romantic (60)great for outdoor dining (49)great for brunch (40)notable wine list (34)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Fantastic MealtheonewithabowVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was our second time to Girasol. The food is unbelievable. CJ is an incredibly talented chef who deserves all the praise he received on Top Chef Duels!Special Features:
- stilesVIPDined on 10/17/2014The appetizers are big enuf to share and excellent. The Octopus salad was very tasty and very very soft and not chewy at all. The main dishes were excellent, esp'ly the duck confit. The donut dessert was good but not as good as the other dishes. The ice cream was icy. Over all very enjoyable and we will go back.Special Features:
- Best meal ever MommyKinevisDined on 10/17/2014My 12-year-old son is a bit of a foodie. But we don't often eat in high-end restaurants. I chose the restaurant carefully for our mother-son time. He took his first bite of the Hamachi appetizer and said "I suspect this is going to be the best meal I've had so far in my life." After his last bite of dessert, he confirmed that indeed, it was. The food was subtle, flavorful and every bite felt like comfort food. We could taste the love and care in the food. The wait staff also cared, and had easy-going energy with attentiveness. Not too filling and all excellent. I highly recommend Girasol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, very quiet and romanticGmlacalDined on 10/16/2014nice place, decor is great.very quiet and great for a romantic diner. Food is creative but some dishes are a bit disappointing - just too basicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know This Before You Dine There!Luv2DineVIPDined on 10/15/2014The bread is $8 extra. Waiting for an appetizer, we ordered "bread twice! We found out when bill came Paid extra for birthday dessert, BUT, within 5 minutes, the manager came to our table and said to the birthday guest. Why did I bother. Valet parking was $5.50 each car. Noise is terrible. Feel Warned!!!Special Features:
- What a find!lIovegudfoodDined on 10/14/2014Tool my wife there for her birthday as we had heard the food was creative and excellent and we were blown away by how delicious everything we ordered was...the bread is out of this world and I doubt there is a thing on the menu that is not first class. My parents always love to go eat in great Los Angeles restaurants when they come to visit and GIRASOL will be at the top of the list next time they come!Special Features:
- Two words: Bottomless MimosasJupsDined on 10/12/2014Wanted Sunday brunch at a local spot, and Girasol hit it. Between the Lobster Benedict--and yes, it was as yummy as it sounds--and the Bottomless Mimosas, our 2-1/2 hour, in rushed celebration of Sunday was pure bliss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceAlleyCatDined on 10/11/2014Studio City has a wide array of great restaurant options, but for a high end dining experience, the choices are much more limited. Girasol is one of the great options in this limited category. Beautiful design, both of the menu options and the restaurant itself. Smashed potatoes are a favorite of the staff, and now me.Special Features:
- Overpriced and OvercookedJulieAChefDined on 10/11/2014We sat for a good 15 minutes before being offered water, let alone a drink. The octopus salad was tasty but the presentation was unremarkable; the plate of greens with just a few small pieces of octopus was not $18-for-an-appetizer good. The fish (the fried whole one) made for a lovely presentation but was overcooked and dry. Again, not worth the price tag (this time $36). My companion's pork loin was also overcooked and it did not physically resemble pork loin. Portions are not particularly generous. They get points for offering reasonably health conscious selections including gluten-free entrees, though if you don't ask you would never know. The desserts were unremarkable. All in all, an expensive disappointment.
- Loved it!!!decoratorgirlDined on 10/6/2014Girasol has become my new favorite. I went this time for my birthday. The bartender is great. Terrific wait staff too. The food is amazing. I has the gnocchi with sage and shrimp (delicate, savory, delicious) and the beet appetizer. Really good specialty drinks. Beautiful interior design. It's a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food! Yum!TammyADined on 10/4/2014Such a wonderful place to go with friends! Food was excellent and the presentation was beautiful. Our waitress was always on top of our needs. It was a bit loud though and somewhat overpriced. I would definitely eat there again. Can't wait to do brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, nothing special.tytandyDined on 10/4/2014Shared starters were good. Mains were mediocre. Too expensive for what it is. The seats were very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- girasol-high chef in valleyWestsidefoodie12VIPDined on 10/3/2014my wife and were looking for a white cloth-higher end restaurant in the valley coming to an event in the Valley from West LA. Wood tabletops and we were led to a two banquette type even though we asked for a four top, and said we would be gone in an hour, coming in at 6:30. The food was alright, nothing memorable from a noted chef. We shared a grilled shrimp and melon salad and then ordered the whole fried snapper, that we once had deliciously at Tar and Roses. This one was a Snapper-Midget, hardly enough for one, let alone two to share. We hadn't had enough to eat, so we ordered Special of Chioppino. This was quite sjparse, also. Looks like they are trying to save on portion control.Special Features:
- DissatisfidedDined on 10/2/2014TABLES VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. All THE EMPLOYEES agreed tables were bad and needed fixing. Menu limited. Asked for quiet table with the reservation and also that is was a birthday but neither were accomplished. WILL NOT GO BACK..
- only regret was waiting too longhopienDined on 9/28/2014We had been meaning to try the restaurant and something always came up--great meal, ambiance, etc. We will absolutely be coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousluvgoodfoodDined on 9/25/2014Enjoyed my experience at Girasol. Food was excellent, everything was delicious and well prepared. Would definitely come back and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- new findvhrlVIPDined on 9/24/2014beautifully decorated and appointed great service and menu went for husbands birthday, they wished him a happy birthday but did nothing else, yet for the table opposite us they brought a little something with a candle, I was a little disappointed that we did not get that as he deserves to be spoiled. had I of known, I would have done something. would go back, very good over allSpecial Features:
- overpriced, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Overpriced for very small portions. A lot of the food was under seasoned. Beautiful decor and the staff was great.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Definitely a find. Four of us ordered from the sharing section of the menu and not one item disappointed. The server knew precisely what dishes worked together and how to time them. We started with grilled plums over a yogurt sauce, moved to the octopus salad mussels and double order of oysters, followed up with soft were had interesting chili flavors. I would have been happy with just that, but we went on to taste the grilled pork satay. Ever order had delicate flavors to appreciate. My personal favorite was the octopus salad, beautifully marinated. The ambiance was very interesting and slightly off-center, which I like, but the black chairs have got to go, they are uncomfortable so ask for a table with the wood ones.Special Features:
- BrunchJustMeDined on 9/21/2014Octopus Gazpacho was outstanding!! Service needs improvement, they didn't time our courses correctly and it took way too long for our cocktails.Special Features:
- elainejVIPDined on 9/21/2014As always the brunch was outstanding, can't go wrong dining here!Special Features:
- DavidWDavidWDined on 9/20/2014We missed the excitement of the early years, because we could never get a reservation. Worth the wait! Beautiful place; terrific, friendly staff (everyone, from the hostesses to our waitress to the runners were professional and accommodating without being unctuous); and the inventive, flavorful, well-conceived and well-executed food was even better than expected. Interesting selection of wines by the glass. We have a salt restriction issue which was pleasantly accommodated, which is not always the case--especially in high-end, chef-driven restaurants. A thoroughly excellent experience! And did I mention the bread? Wow--Paris, 1949!Special Features:
- Girasol Gone Mediocre, No Top ChefARoseVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great expectations but the total picture was mediocre at best. Mussels were fresh but preparation in a light tomato broth with a kick, really had little flavor.The soft shell crab was good, as was the special plum and burrata salad. The lentil "wrap"was delicious. We were expecting a wonderful bread,rated highly by other reviewers. It was nothing more than a few slices of a crusty bread on a plate. The $4.00 charge is insulting. In Europe we pay a covert for that, but this was hardly worth eating at all...a gimmick. Our friends shared the deep fried snapper which they shared,but it sort of small to share.The pork tenderloin was a tough porkchop with a tiny smeared puree.Unappealing. Desserts good. Top Chef did not deliver.Foraging failed.
- Neightborhod Jewel!!EdwinEDined on 9/19/2014Nice restaurant, good food, terrible parking issues, no street parking. Chairs are not very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionsAndiamoDined on 9/19/2014Very small portions. For what they are charging they need to increase the size of the portions otherwise not worth the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girasol is goodLaurDined on 9/18/2014There seems to something for everyone on the menu. The small plates is the way to go so you can try and share more items. The service was great. Loved the patio. Inside can be a little noisy but it is a good spot for something fun and new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slooooow servicevalleygirl44Dined on 9/17/2014Portions are small, but very quality is very good. The service, though, gets slower and slower each time I go. Appetizers came before our drinks, dessert before coffee. I'm going to give it another shot, but this is getting crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!!!pickylady8Dined on 9/17/2014The food and the service was great!!!!I will be going there a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westside quality grub in the valleyDougnNancyDined on 9/13/2014CJ is putting some terrific food on the table, with an unpretentious menu that you could stack up against any of the more well-regarded joints downtown (Bestia, Factory Kitchen) or on the Westside (Pica, Connie and Ted's etc.) Try the grilled octopus with roasted eggplant: layers of smoke flavor with some bright acid notes to cut through the fog. The Hamachi starter is also delicious, with the smooth, mild fish offset with just a few slices of slightly sour mouse melon. Everything is beautifully presented, and the room is contemporary and attractive. Our advice is a strong "go".Special Features:
- Incredible, affordableCConstableDined on 9/13/2014Chef CJ Jacobson has created one helluva gem with Girasol. Drawing on the techniques of an expert chef, combined with amazing ingredients that speak to Southern California, Girasol is an impeccable dining experience that I would highly recommend to any food lover. Our whole party walked away extremely happy and riding on the kind of high that truly great restaurants bring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraDined on 9/12/2014The booths are comfortable, chairs are not. Could use some noise control because of the hard surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good one.ilovefoodDined on 9/11/2014Took my daughter and her boyfriend for her birthday. The food was exquisite. I'm not an octopus fan, but my daughter and her bf are, and I have to say that it's the first time I've tasted octopus that didn't have the consistency of a rubber band - it was tender and flavorful and almost make me a convert. The special appetizer of the evening was a plate of ricotta with fresh figs, plums and a "warm hug" of red pepper, which was really lovely and was presented by the chef himself. Our server Briana was charming and knowledgeable. I had read reviews, so I was aware that this restaurant charges for bread and herb butter. It was very good, but I still question that practice. I would order it again, however, and everything else we tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find in an unusual spotkatemVIPDined on 9/7/2014My first time here and loved the food and the service. Nice wine list. Excellent vegetarian entree.Special Features:
- Fresh Seasonal Fare with a FlairJShakDined on 9/6/2014While I enjoyed trying Girasol, a lovely new restaurant, the menu was a bit limited for my taste. I liked the options but wasn't over the moon about them. Most items seemed a bit too pricey, especially since they didn't come with anythign. I ordered the chicken dish which the menu said came with potatoes; if you count two small potatoes as coming with potatoes, then okay, sure. It also had bitter greens on the side -- I couldn't cut them with my knife or, when I tasted them, with my teeth. The chicken was tender and juicy, however, and seasoned with a light and aromatic touch. My friend ordered the fish special, which she loved, though it seemed rather light (not much with it) for the price as well. The bread and desert were delish!Special Features:
- Great combinations of tastesPLSSDined on 9/6/2014I went to Girasol for my 50th birthday with my daughter. The food was terrific, with some wonderful, interesting combinations of flavors and all beautifully presented. The wait staff was attentive. The room was crowded, and a little loud, but we could still talk comfortably. My only complaint was I had stated in my reservation that I was celebrating a birthday and that was confirmed when they called to confirm the reservation. No mention of this was made at the restaurant. No candle in the dessert we ordered or good wishes offered. I know they do that sort of thing because we saw other tables having celebrations. A small thing, but we left feeling a bit let down. It makes you wonder what else might be overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014The food war goo but in my oponion really overrated. The restaurant is loud and you can't really talk there but this seem ok for most poeple. We had a couple appetizers, that actually were really delicious, the entree (rack of lamb was overpriced $40). Also,if you go to the website there are no prices displayed on the menue. Overall, good food but not memorable and not good enough wanting me to go back there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Chef CJ came out and spoke with us. Very personable and his staf was great. The Lamb was one of the best I have ever had. We loved the Beets and fruit with Goat cheese. One of the best dinners we have had in years. We will be back and have already recommended it to others. Though not too many so it doesn't get soooo busy.Special Features:
- Well ExecutedPetrarchDined on 9/6/2014Our meals were excellent; creatively presented dishes that were delicious. One quibble: the "Shared" items are really too small for two. Dessert was excellent and the wine list adequate, but a bit expensive. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Yummy and Healthy!LNZReviewVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was so fresh and so local!! It was such a nice change to have subtle flavors that allow the real taste of the food to come out! Kudos to the chef and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!!Luv2eatDined on 9/4/2014Went there for my third time and everything was soooo amazing!!! I tried some new things and they are definite keepers!! Looking forward to having them again. And the waiters are all very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.