11334 Moorpark St.
Studio City, CA 91602Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.girasolrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8189242323x
- Hours of Operation:
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday-Wednesday - 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday-Saturday - 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: CJ Jacobson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities:
- A stellar culinary experience for your guests
- Custom menus by Top Chef CJ Jacobson
- Perfect for business luncheons & holiday parties
- Main dining room seats up to 40
- Patio seats up to 26
- Entire restaurant seats up to 100
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8189242323x
A word from Girasol
At Girasol, the backbone of our refined-rustic cuisine is defined by the changing seasons, our relationship with local farmers, and Executive Chef CJ Jacobson’s interpretation of California cuisine. Girasol is focused on supporting local farmers and purveyors by using sustainable products to bring our guests a dining experience that is both approachable and unique. The design, inspired by our namesake, the sunflower, evokes a warm and inviting environment suitable for any occasion. We welcome you to experience our cuisine and hospitality in a neighborhood-friendly atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Girasol - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Girasol reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (176)neighborhood gem (155)special occasion (107)romantic (64)great for outdoor dining (52)hot spot (49)notable wine list (39)great for brunch (34)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Outstanding DiningDickDined on 8/31/2014Top notch food and service. Very creative food preparation.Special Features:
- DTTurnerDined on 8/31/2014Service was excellent, the staff really know their business. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- A gem in Studio CityTopchefjunkieDined on 8/31/2014I have been wanting to go to Girasol for a while now, and I'm glad that I finally was able to make it there for Brunch last Sunday. My friend and I got the bottomless mimosa and bellinis for $20.00 - not a bad deal when you're planning on having more than one. I got the eggs with bacon and probably the most delicious potatoes - almost like potato skins - fabulous bread with homemade jams and butter. I felt that the prices were reasonable for the quality of food. Totally satisfying on every level. The restaurant is very pretty and Chef C.J. even came over and let us take a picture with him. He kindly knelt down (as he is quite tall). We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Luv2eatluv2eatVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been to Girasol before, enjoyed the food, went back with friends who had never been there. Other than we would like more variety in the menu, everything we ordered was excellent. The service was not up to the standards that we had enjoyed on our other visits. The waitress took our order and then told us about the nightly special, should have been first. We ordered a second round of drinks that she brought when we were at the end of our meal. She did not even come back to let us know that drinks were delayed, she had an attitude when we told her it was too late. It took more than a half hour to get a glass of wine and vodka on the rocks. We do like this restaurant and will try it again.Special Features:
- Crazy GoodFlowersDined on 8/30/2014The food was truly wonderful. Unique, tasty and delicious! Love, love, love it. The snapper, octopus, meatballs, panna cotta and bread were all fantastic. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Loved it!MaggsDined on 8/29/2014So happy that this place has opened in our neighborhood- it is beautiful, modern, has excellent service, and beyond delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally excellentjeg3Dined on 8/29/2014Very organized and efficient. Excellent service and food except for one disappointing dish - the pork satay - which was a bit tough, fatty and uninteresting compared with the variety of ingredients, tastes & textures in the other shared plates. Delicious dessert, which was like a lighter version of a sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- Always Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014Very nice local/near local offerings. Creative menu, the specials are often intriguing. Portions are scaled to the small side; the flavors are generally large.Special Features:
- OUCHHHHH:(Lov3F00DDined on 8/28/2014The acoustics are the worst of any restaurant I've been to which I can't count both in the US and abroad.The noise was so unbearable that no food is worth eating. It's called a "dining experience," because ambience is part of it. My ears were ringing long after we left. I would not recommend going for this reason. I can just imagine the restaurants in NYC with decibels like this. They'd get ripped apart and close immediately. RIDICULOUS. The service wasn't great either.
- MandSMDined on 8/28/2014After several visits: Great "au currant" cuisine and very pleasant, competent service.Special Features:
- New and excitingSkatesDined on 8/27/2014A "top chef" restaurant. Flavor combinations unheard of but amazing. Great original cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner in more than one waySSSMDined on 8/27/2014From Top Chef Duels on TV to The Yard in Santa Monica, CJ Jacobson has been a winner who makes a big impression with his creative cuisine and seasonally-inspired selections (like the terrific figs in chili oil and curry leaves). He offers a unique take on flavor combinations, and while I ordered pork loin, my dining partner ordered the whole fish and it was both delicious and awesome to look at. Girasol is a great addition to the LA fine dining scene. Loved it. Bring a date, bring a friend, bring the family and expect a great time and a great meal.Special Features:
- Back on my radarOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014We haven't been to Girasol in awhile and so glad we went back. The food is so unique, due to the chef's foraging skills and ability to combine the most unusual flavors. It almost always works! Same with the cocktails. They make their own syrups and the balance is perfect! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- herbwolasDined on 8/24/2014A good restaurant,Local, good service. glad to have it available in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was looking forward to it BUT...allkindsoffoodDined on 8/24/2014The service was so unprofessional/indifferent before we received our food that we all commented that we hoped the food was spectacular to overcome the service. When the entrees came (while we still had our app's and plates in front of us) the three dishes were good but nothing we tasted had a wow factor. I expect more than "yeah it was good" with a bit of shrug food and better service than I can get at a Norm's for the price and vibe niche they are going for. On the way out I asked the hostess if the manager was available because each of the 3 of us dine out often and when I know I will never be back somewhere I want to tell them why. "He might be in the office or something. Sorry" with her own shrug. Hope our waiter is better at acting.
- Late dining has it's risks!TinoVIPDined on 8/23/2014They were about 15 minutes late in sitting us for an 8:45 pm reservation. We had pretty bad luck since they had run out of various dishes by the time we were ordering. Overall good food an experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed GirasolrestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great decor, nice bar, interesting menu. Had a Black Bass special--beautiful filet cooked to perfection with good not great recipe. Plenty of choices making a return trip a definite option for me. Only complaint was the noise level-and I'm not sensitive about this. I'm used to shouting at concerts, not restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014Second time been to this restaurant. Food is always good but very overpriced. Also wine list fairly limited on California wines and this too very overpiced. Glass of Wente Chardonnay with tax and tip around 16.00 and you can easily buy a bottle for this price. Beverly Hills pricing for neighborhood Valley restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing timeDTLADogDadDined on 8/22/2014Gem of a restaurant that lives up to its reputation for creative farm to table dishes, of particular note the burata and peaches, the fried snapper and the octopus salad. These are not to be missed. The cocktail menu is inventive without being pretentious, particular kudos for the old-fashioned. Most importantly, the staff is lovely, and as a result is imbues a friendly spirit among the patrons, we ended up chatting with our neighbors quite a bit comparing notes about our favorites. Possibly one of the best Los Angeles dinners I have had all year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite neighborhood restaurantRickDined on 8/19/2014Pricey, so we only come for special occasions. The waiter was quiet, knowledgeable, with a wry sense of humor. They let us rotate the table so we could sit closer together. Girasol specializes in mixing unusual flavors, and there are always a few surprises on the menu. The softshell crab looked like it might leap off the plate. A blueberry salad was really creative. Didn't feel rushed at all through 90 minutes. Wonderful, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girasol continues to pleasefrankieDined on 8/18/2014This was my second dinner at Girasol, the first being at one of their cozy tables and this most recent one at the bar. Menu is abbreviated but offered a wide range of choices originating from sea to land to air. Pricing is reasonable for level of care and presentation that clearly goes into entrees. Octopus salad was stellar and done in the style favored by Europeans. Dining at the bar was pleasant with a nice backdrop and made all the better by an engaging and very accommodating bartender.Special Features:
- ExcellentNan55Dined on 8/17/2014Beautiful and stylish spot, interesting menu and tasty food, not ever item was excellent- rabbit a little disappointing, but most were very very good. Service was top notch and professional. Pricey. Some entrees seem a little overpriced but overall a wonderful experience and would go back- special occasion bc of prices, would go for drinks and small plates next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Love the food! We have dined at Girasol for brunch and dinner on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is always delicious and inventive. It is a bit noisy but not as bad as most places.Special Features:
- come for bread, stay for entreesmangowayDined on 8/16/2014Spicy Shrimp w/ melon was stellar. Steak, excellent. Alaskan Scallop w/ mushroom special was delish (tho maybe a tiny bit over salty.) Smashed potatoes were a bit too rich, but overall it was an excellent, excellent meal. Wonderful choices of combinations. Would love to go back after a few more paychecks have cleared--mostly for the bread because it was out of this world!! Service was terrific, too. They were very kind about my setting my menu on fire. Perhaps the tiny candles need to be replaced with something safer?? Or maybe I'm just a giant klutz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Reservations were for 8:15 but not seated til after 9 with no apology
- Too long to wait for a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014We arrived for our 7:30 reservation and was not seated until 8:30. They never offered us a drink or appetizer while we were waiting. The table reserved for us occupied it for 3 hours. Food and service was great after we sat down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacularfoodie666Dined on 8/14/2014If you are looking for food with grandeur in the valley look no further. There is nothing similar this side of the mountains in LA. We went there to celebrate our 3rd year anniversary and we had a blast. Everything we ordered was superb, nothing felt short of amazing. They put so much detail in everything from the bread to the appetizers and main dishes. We had it in our radar for a while, and we're so glad we came in our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivingWellDined on 8/12/2014Both the food and the service were excellent!Very special night out. We would definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Pretty but pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014Girasol is extremely beautiful. You can see a 7/11 across the street but inside you feel removed. The wait staff is equally beautiful but our server did not know how to pronounce "coq au vin" or "thyme". Some of the components were divine like the creamy burrata and crispy lentils. My pork loin was a perfect medium and the sweet corn puree was unctuous and velvety. Other execution was lacking--the graham cracker crust on the ricotta and pine nut torte was soggy. The creme fraiche ice cream was icy. The pacing of the courses was very poor. I enjoyed my experience but I won't be back. The price tags at this beautiful restaurant aren't justified by the food or the cocktails.Special Features:
- Stunning food,expert service.BandiVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great restaurant and San Fernando Valley used to be mutually exclusive. No more. Girasol is one of Los Angeles' finest dining spots. We have frequented the restaurant since it opened. Food has been extraordinary right from the beginning. The servers are very well trained,knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Great brunch,Lobster Benedict is worth a pilgrimage . The wine list has improved , and now they have liquor license.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great chefrecycleorburnDined on 8/10/2014We came here on our Top Chef food tour. Chef CJ was right there sweeping up (we came right when it opened) and came in and out of the kitchen. He gladly greeted us and took pictures. The food was amazing (I went for the lobster benedict), plus they have a bottomless mimosa deal. The prickly pear mimosa was great as was the blackberry daisy cocktail. Atmosphere was fancy without being too snooty (though my view was to the 7-11 across the street). Plenty of street parking around.Special Features:
- Dining Under a Magnificent FlowerearthangelDined on 8/9/2014Upon arrival Saturday night at Girasol, we were given the choice of two tables, and favored one over the other. We were with an adventuresome couple, dining wise, and determined to share many of the tasting plates. All the dishes we selected were excitingly presented, and the flavors lived up to their attractive appearance. Each dish sparkled with flavor and imagination. From oysters to octopus to mussels to berry and beet salad and fava bean with chorizo, not a crumb was left on the plate. We had a few more excellent choices, and then shared two desserts that were "out of this or any world". We left feeling sated and indulged. Great chef and appreciative clientele. Five Stars for CERTAIN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner SpotKevsterDined on 8/9/2014Visited Girasol on the recommendation in LA Magazine. Busy place on a Saturday night - ambience felt 'right' and service was good and chatty and informative. Had a prawn sharing plate to start which was yummy - and they brought another one by mistake - the octopus this time, which was not charged - so a result there I guess! I had the whole snapper with smashed potatoes which was excellent. Overall, we enjoyed the entire dining experience.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in the valleyValleyGirlDined on 8/8/2014Very creative, fresh and generous portions with great service all in a beautifully designed setting. We usually take our out-of-town guests to Hollywood, Downtown or Beverly Hills for an LA dining experience but the food and the experience is so good at Girasol, we now keep to the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure about this one...love4foodVIPDined on 8/7/2014Dinning is an "event," so it's not for those who want to be in and out within two hours (or are super hungry before getting there). Food service is beyond slow. You'll want to buy some bread (yeah, you have to buy it). Very loud. Unfortunately you can hear the tables next to you rather than the person across from you. It's kinda like this place is a bar in fancy dinning clothing. Not for a romantic date. Full of business meetings and shop talk. Tables are artistic, but not functional. Can't put legs under tables, which only makes you farther from the person you are struggling to hear. That said the wait staff was amazing, and food was good. Would probably not go back unless with a big group for drinks.
- Some issuesNewdinerDined on 8/7/2014I ordered the salmon my husband ordered the NY steak. The waiter asked my husband how he would like his steak. He did not tell me they serve the salmon almost rare. I wish he would have told me so I could have asked for it more cooked, it was almost raw. We ordered a mediocre bottle of wine, $80, extremely over priced. The arugula salad was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just average...Ali123Dined on 8/7/2014I was very excited to try Girasol but the food was just average. Many of the plates had tasty elements but none of the dishes really seemed to come together to create something spectacular. The interior of the restaurant was lovely but the acoustics are so bad that by the end of the dinner it was difficult to hear the person right across the table. The service was great and friendly but, for the entire time that we were there, the chef and several of the serving staff were fussing over, presumably, a VIP at the next table which was a bit distracting. We probably will not go back.
- Great food, lousy tablesValleyKenDined on 8/6/2014The food and service (our waiter was Eric) was outstanding - we both loved the octopus salad, even though my wife would normally never consider octopus. And, the whole red snapper was delicious. For dessert, which we had planned to avoid, we had the best panna cotta we have ever tasted, with very sweet plums. The only downside is the tables - they are gorgeous, custom pieces; however, the bases are just too large for the tops, so you either sit way back from the table or bump your knees. I can't believe the designer ever sat at one of these tables. Next time we go, we will try to sit outside, weather permitting, where the tables work a bit better, even if they are not as decorative.Special Features:
- International PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We had visitors from Switzerland staying with us and we chose Girasol to show local flavor and an American chef who has also has flair. We had eaten here before as a couple and had a nice, romantic evening. Our reservation was for 7:15. When we arrived as a party of 4, the hostess tried to take us out to the patio without asking our preference. Unusually humid weekend for LA, it was drizzling when we arrived. We had 12 people staying with us for 5 days and our air conditioning quit so we were not interested in outdoor dining. We requested a table inside and that seemed to befuddle the hostess. Not a good start. The meal was great, our visitors were impressed. There should be a way to specify indoor / outdoor on reservation.Special Features:
- Great addition to Tujunga VillageDisappointedDinerDined on 8/3/2014Great restaurant with great staff and food. Only disappointment that they ran out of both of my first two choices at brunch. Which was weird because they weren't too crowded on the Sunday when I was there. At the price point they're at, I still don't feel I've tasted the best of what they've got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.