11334 Moorpark St.
Studio City, CA 91602Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.girasolrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8189242323x
- Hours of Operation:
11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday-Wednesday - 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Thursday-Saturday - 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: CJ Jacobson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities:
- A stellar culinary experience for your guests
- Custom menus by Top Chef CJ Jacobson
- Perfect for business luncheons & holiday parties
- Main dining room seats up to 40
- Patio seats up to 26
- Entire restaurant seats up to 100
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 8189242323x
A word from Girasol
At Girasol, the backbone of our refined-rustic cuisine is defined by the changing seasons, our relationship with local farmers, and Executive Chef CJ Jacobson’s interpretation of California cuisine. Girasol is focused on supporting local farmers and purveyors by using sustainable products to bring our guests a dining experience that is both approachable and unique. The design, inspired by our namesake, the sunflower, evokes a warm and inviting environment suitable for any occasion. We welcome you to experience our cuisine and hospitality in a neighborhood-friendly atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Girasol - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Girasol reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)neighborhood gem (158)special occasion (109)romantic (61)great for outdoor dining (55)hot spot (48)great for brunch (36)notable wine list (35)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (12)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- only regret was waiting too longhopienDined on 9/28/2014We had been meaning to try the restaurant and something always came up--great meal, ambiance, etc. We will absolutely be coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new findvhrlVIPDined on 9/24/2014beautifully decorated and appointed great service and menu went for husbands birthday, they wished him a happy birthday but did nothing else, yet for the table opposite us they brought a little something with a candle, I was a little disappointed that we did not get that as he deserves to be spoiled. had I of known, I would have done something. would go back, very good over allSpecial Features:
- overpriced, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014Overpriced for very small portions. A lot of the food was under seasoned. Beautiful decor and the staff was great.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Definitely a find. Four of us ordered from the sharing section of the menu and not one item disappointed. The server knew precisely what dishes worked together and how to time them. We started with grilled plums over a yogurt sauce, moved to the octopus salad mussels and double order of oysters, followed up with soft were had interesting chili flavors. I would have been happy with just that, but we went on to taste the grilled pork satay. Ever order had delicate flavors to appreciate. My personal favorite was the octopus salad, beautifully marinated. The ambiance was very interesting and slightly off-center, which I like, but the black chairs have got to go, they are uncomfortable so ask for a table with the wood ones.Special Features:
- BrunchJustMeDined on 9/21/2014Octopus Gazpacho was outstanding!! Service needs improvement, they didn't time our courses correctly and it took way too long for our cocktails.Special Features:
- elainejVIPDined on 9/21/2014As always the brunch was outstanding, can't go wrong dining here!Special Features:
- DavidWDavidWDined on 9/20/2014We missed the excitement of the early years, because we could never get a reservation. Worth the wait! Beautiful place; terrific, friendly staff (everyone, from the hostesses to our waitress to the runners were professional and accommodating without being unctuous); and the inventive, flavorful, well-conceived and well-executed food was even better than expected. Interesting selection of wines by the glass. We have a salt restriction issue which was pleasantly accommodated, which is not always the case--especially in high-end, chef-driven restaurants. A thoroughly excellent experience! And did I mention the bread? Wow--Paris, 1949!Special Features:
- Girasol Gone Mediocre, No Top ChefARoseVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great expectations but the total picture was mediocre at best. Mussels were fresh but preparation in a light tomato broth with a kick, really had little flavor.The soft shell crab was good, as was the special plum and burrata salad. The lentil "wrap"was delicious. We were expecting a wonderful bread,rated highly by other reviewers. It was nothing more than a few slices of a crusty bread on a plate. The $4.00 charge is insulting. In Europe we pay a covert for that, but this was hardly worth eating at all...a gimmick. Our friends shared the deep fried snapper which they shared,but it sort of small to share.The pork tenderloin was a tough porkchop with a tiny smeared puree.Unappealing. Desserts good. Top Chef did not deliver.Foraging failed.
- Neightborhod Jewel!!EdwinEDined on 9/19/2014Nice restaurant, good food, terrible parking issues, no street parking. Chairs are not very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionsAndiamoDined on 9/19/2014Very small portions. For what they are charging they need to increase the size of the portions otherwise not worth the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girasol is goodLaurDined on 9/18/2014There seems to something for everyone on the menu. The small plates is the way to go so you can try and share more items. The service was great. Loved the patio. Inside can be a little noisy but it is a good spot for something fun and new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slooooow servicevalleygirl44Dined on 9/17/2014Portions are small, but very quality is very good. The service, though, gets slower and slower each time I go. Appetizers came before our drinks, dessert before coffee. I'm going to give it another shot, but this is getting crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!!!pickylady8Dined on 9/17/2014The food and the service was great!!!!I will be going there a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westside quality grub in the valleyDougnNancyDined on 9/13/2014CJ is putting some terrific food on the table, with an unpretentious menu that you could stack up against any of the more well-regarded joints downtown (Bestia, Factory Kitchen) or on the Westside (Pica, Connie and Ted's etc.) Try the grilled octopus with roasted eggplant: layers of smoke flavor with some bright acid notes to cut through the fog. The Hamachi starter is also delicious, with the smooth, mild fish offset with just a few slices of slightly sour mouse melon. Everything is beautifully presented, and the room is contemporary and attractive. Our advice is a strong "go".Special Features:
- Incredible, affordableCConstableDined on 9/13/2014Chef CJ Jacobson has created one helluva gem with Girasol. Drawing on the techniques of an expert chef, combined with amazing ingredients that speak to Southern California, Girasol is an impeccable dining experience that I would highly recommend to any food lover. Our whole party walked away extremely happy and riding on the kind of high that truly great restaurants bring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LauraDined on 9/12/2014The booths are comfortable, chairs are not. Could use some noise control because of the hard surfaces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good one.ilovefoodDined on 9/11/2014Took my daughter and her boyfriend for her birthday. The food was exquisite. I'm not an octopus fan, but my daughter and her bf are, and I have to say that it's the first time I've tasted octopus that didn't have the consistency of a rubber band - it was tender and flavorful and almost make me a convert. The special appetizer of the evening was a plate of ricotta with fresh figs, plums and a "warm hug" of red pepper, which was really lovely and was presented by the chef himself. Our server Briana was charming and knowledgeable. I had read reviews, so I was aware that this restaurant charges for bread and herb butter. It was very good, but I still question that practice. I would order it again, however, and everything else we tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find in an unusual spotkatemVIPDined on 9/7/2014My first time here and loved the food and the service. Nice wine list. Excellent vegetarian entree.Special Features:
- Fresh Seasonal Fare with a FlairJShakDined on 9/6/2014While I enjoyed trying Girasol, a lovely new restaurant, the menu was a bit limited for my taste. I liked the options but wasn't over the moon about them. Most items seemed a bit too pricey, especially since they didn't come with anythign. I ordered the chicken dish which the menu said came with potatoes; if you count two small potatoes as coming with potatoes, then okay, sure. It also had bitter greens on the side -- I couldn't cut them with my knife or, when I tasted them, with my teeth. The chicken was tender and juicy, however, and seasoned with a light and aromatic touch. My friend ordered the fish special, which she loved, though it seemed rather light (not much with it) for the price as well. The bread and desert were delish!Special Features:
- Great combinations of tastesPLSSDined on 9/6/2014I went to Girasol for my 50th birthday with my daughter. The food was terrific, with some wonderful, interesting combinations of flavors and all beautifully presented. The wait staff was attentive. The room was crowded, and a little loud, but we could still talk comfortably. My only complaint was I had stated in my reservation that I was celebrating a birthday and that was confirmed when they called to confirm the reservation. No mention of this was made at the restaurant. No candle in the dessert we ordered or good wishes offered. I know they do that sort of thing because we saw other tables having celebrations. A small thing, but we left feeling a bit let down. It makes you wonder what else might be overlooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014The food war goo but in my oponion really overrated. The restaurant is loud and you can't really talk there but this seem ok for most poeple. We had a couple appetizers, that actually were really delicious, the entree (rack of lamb was overpriced $40). Also,if you go to the website there are no prices displayed on the menue. Overall, good food but not memorable and not good enough wanting me to go back there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Chef CJ came out and spoke with us. Very personable and his staf was great. The Lamb was one of the best I have ever had. We loved the Beets and fruit with Goat cheese. One of the best dinners we have had in years. We will be back and have already recommended it to others. Though not too many so it doesn't get soooo busy.Special Features:
- Well ExecutedPetrarchDined on 9/6/2014Our meals were excellent; creatively presented dishes that were delicious. One quibble: the "Shared" items are really too small for two. Dessert was excellent and the wine list adequate, but a bit expensive. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Yummy and Healthy!LNZReviewVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was so fresh and so local!! It was such a nice change to have subtle flavors that allow the real taste of the food to come out! Kudos to the chef and staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!!Luv2eatDined on 9/4/2014Went there for my third time and everything was soooo amazing!!! I tried some new things and they are definite keepers!! Looking forward to having them again. And the waiters are all very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DiningDickDined on 8/31/2014Top notch food and service. Very creative food preparation.Special Features:
- DTTurnerDined on 8/31/2014Service was excellent, the staff really know their business. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- A gem in Studio CityTopchefjunkieDined on 8/31/2014I have been wanting to go to Girasol for a while now, and I'm glad that I finally was able to make it there for Brunch last Sunday. My friend and I got the bottomless mimosa and bellinis for $20.00 - not a bad deal when you're planning on having more than one. I got the eggs with bacon and probably the most delicious potatoes - almost like potato skins - fabulous bread with homemade jams and butter. I felt that the prices were reasonable for the quality of food. Totally satisfying on every level. The restaurant is very pretty and Chef C.J. even came over and let us take a picture with him. He kindly knelt down (as he is quite tall). We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Luv2eatluv2eatVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been to Girasol before, enjoyed the food, went back with friends who had never been there. Other than we would like more variety in the menu, everything we ordered was excellent. The service was not up to the standards that we had enjoyed on our other visits. The waitress took our order and then told us about the nightly special, should have been first. We ordered a second round of drinks that she brought when we were at the end of our meal. She did not even come back to let us know that drinks were delayed, she had an attitude when we told her it was too late. It took more than a half hour to get a glass of wine and vodka on the rocks. We do like this restaurant and will try it again.Special Features:
- Crazy GoodFlowersDined on 8/30/2014The food was truly wonderful. Unique, tasty and delicious! Love, love, love it. The snapper, octopus, meatballs, panna cotta and bread were all fantastic. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Loved it!MaggsDined on 8/29/2014So happy that this place has opened in our neighborhood- it is beautiful, modern, has excellent service, and beyond delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally excellentjeg3Dined on 8/29/2014Very organized and efficient. Excellent service and food except for one disappointing dish - the pork satay - which was a bit tough, fatty and uninteresting compared with the variety of ingredients, tastes & textures in the other shared plates. Delicious dessert, which was like a lighter version of a sticky toffee pudding.Special Features:
- food good, chairs uncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014we will not be going back. we have been twice and enjoyed the food. the price point is very reasonable for the food being presented. we sat in a banquette once and the seats are so low we felt like children eating at the grown-up table. this time we sat on the patio in chairs that were so uncomfortable as to make lingering impossible and i left with a back ache since i couldn't sit back (and the front scoop of the chair dug painfully into the back of my knees). it's a real shame.Special Features:
- Always Delish!chefplus1VIPDined on 8/28/2014Very nice local/near local offerings. Creative menu, the specials are often intriguing. Portions are scaled to the small side; the flavors are generally large.Special Features:
- OUCHHHHH:(Lov3F00DDined on 8/28/2014The acoustics are the worst of any restaurant I've been to which I can't count both in the US and abroad.The noise was so unbearable that no food is worth eating. It's called a "dining experience," because ambience is part of it. My ears were ringing long after we left. I would not recommend going for this reason. I can just imagine the restaurants in NYC with decibels like this. They'd get ripped apart and close immediately. RIDICULOUS. The service wasn't great either.
- MandSMDined on 8/28/2014After several visits: Great "au currant" cuisine and very pleasant, competent service.Special Features:
- New and excitingSkatesDined on 8/27/2014A "top chef" restaurant. Flavor combinations unheard of but amazing. Great original cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner in more than one waySSSMDined on 8/27/2014From Top Chef Duels on TV to The Yard in Santa Monica, CJ Jacobson has been a winner who makes a big impression with his creative cuisine and seasonally-inspired selections (like the terrific figs in chili oil and curry leaves). He offers a unique take on flavor combinations, and while I ordered pork loin, my dining partner ordered the whole fish and it was both delicious and awesome to look at. Girasol is a great addition to the LA fine dining scene. Loved it. Bring a date, bring a friend, bring the family and expect a great time and a great meal.Special Features:
- Back on my radarOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/27/2014We haven't been to Girasol in awhile and so glad we went back. The food is so unique, due to the chef's foraging skills and ability to combine the most unusual flavors. It almost always works! Same with the cocktails. They make their own syrups and the balance is perfect! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- herbwolasDined on 8/24/2014A good restaurant,Local, good service. glad to have it available in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.