1823 Jefferson Place NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.giovannistrattu.com/
- Phone: 2024524960
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Connecticut Ave. NW and 19th St. NW
- Public Transit: Farragut North Metro Station (Red) Dupont Circle Metro Station (Red) Farragut West Metro Station (Blue, Orange)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Valet parking Friday and Saturday eve. $5.00. In addition, Street parking and public parking garage on M Street between 18 th and 19 th Street.
A word from Giovanni's Trattu
Giovanni's Trattu may be the only restaurant in DC to capture the feel of Venice. Formerly known as Trattu, this cozy little restaurant provides the lighter cuisine of Northern Italy, which is known for its unique flavor. The extensive menu changes every fall, winter and summer. Seating 60 in the main dining room, Giovanni's Trattu is candlelight at night and it entertains guests with live music from a guitarist/singer who roams from table to table, providing the perfect sound for any occasion. Highlighting the ambiance is a collection of colorful pottery and venetian masks that hangs from the walls. While Giovanni's Trattu is ideal for private parties, guests who seek a more intimate experience may sit at one of two tables in the small out door garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Giovanni's Trattu - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Giovanni's Trattu reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (17)romantic (17)special occasion (16)kid-friendly (13)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Neighborhood ItalianPhilipDeVIPDined on 10/22/2014Not bad for an Italian bite or two between Farragut North and Dupont Circle. However, it is not difficult to get better Italian food and wine at the same or higher prices in numerous places within walking distance of G's T.
- Delicious homestyle Italian mealSofullDined on 10/17/2014My Husband, daughter and I were lucky enough to find this small Italian restaurant and enjoyed a marvelous meal. The Italian entrees had a home made taste and were well proportioned. It was nice and quiet and I would recommend it. We had a wonderful time catching up with our daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place Relaxes MetheaspDined on 10/10/2014Sometimes I want to have lunch that draws down the adrenalin level induced by a hectic morning. Sometimes I want quiet place to meet a business contact. Giovanni's Trattu provides the venue in addition to good, prompt but unobtrusive service, a large menu with tasty offerings at reasonable prices and reasonable sizes. I just like going there.Special Features:
- Food so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/7/2014Service and ambiance were wonderful, but food was really mediocre. Very disappointed, given the reviews. Over-priced given the quality of the food.Special Features:
- OK - not as good as I rememberedassmemmgrDined on 10/6/2014the veal was OK, but not as good as I expected, the server was very good and friendlySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was very good. The restaurant was not very busy but service was slow. It was quite a while from the time we were seated until anyone came around and then it was to take our dinner order. We asked for glasses of wine (skipped ordering a drink as it was obvious that was going to cause a problem) and had to fend off the dinner order until we were ready.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014My husband and I wanted to visit the Dupont Circle area and was referred to this restaurant by the other reviews on Open Table....very happy we did. Small intimate room which appeared to be serving mostly locals. Very attentive staff and delightful food. We would definitely go back when in DC and refer to friends and others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful pastaNTNloverVIPDined on 9/4/2014So nice to find an independent restaurant that prepares lovely pasta dishes at a reasonable price. A nice and affordable wine list as well. My dining companion had a pasta dish with shrimp and commented on the quality of the shrimp as well as the care with which it was cooked. I hope this one stays around for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably goodlunchgirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014I enjoy the quiet of this tucked in restaurant on Jefferson St. I have never ordered anything I did not like and the prices are reasonable. I consider Giovanni's Trattu an authentic Italian restaurant which is too rare in the city.Special Features:
- solid Italian food, slow servicedcdinerDined on 8/13/2014I enjoyed our meal at Giovanni's but service was painfully slow. A lunch took 1.5 hours. The server was very pleasant and friendly. We skipped appetizers and ordered entrees right away. We did order dessert and that look a while too. I would only go there if I don't have be be anywhere afterwards.Special Features:
- HomecomingMaryLVIPDined on 8/9/2014Used to dine here often when living in DC years ago, and opted to return while attending a meeting; we were not disappointed. In spite of a few cosmetic updates, Trattu was as welcoming and comfortable as ever. Cozy, intimate space was fairly quiet for a Saturday night. Service was good, respecting our desire to linger over drinks and conversation. Food was great--the special fish soup won raves, and the pasta dishes were cooked to perfection. Chicken parm was also memorably good. Desserts could reasonably be termed decadent--try the tiramisu! Recommend highly, and glad we returned!Special Features:
- Trattu, ok for you?StanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was just ok. Nothing really special. Service was good, but food temperature was not.Special Features:
- Great service and food!Luv2eatDined on 8/4/2014What a pleasant surprise find when looking for a place to take my 3 kids and wife! Knowing nothing about dining in D.C., I looked on Open Table and found this neighborhood gem! Food was great and the service was perfect (and patient)! Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice Italian dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing timeFrancisRLDined on 8/1/2014We were visiting Washington and had a family dinner for a group of 14. Everyone raved about the food and how good their experience was. This is a simple small place that is delicious. Don't let the exterior fool you, this is top notch Italian cuisine.Special Features:
- Why did I wait 12 years???VeroniqueVIPDined on 7/26/2014FINALLY thought to try again for a late night (10pm) dinner & it was even better than I remembered. Despite us being the last guests of the night, staff & mgmt were extremely gracious & made us feel very welcome! The food was amazing. My friend had the gnocchi with meat sauce & we both agreed it was the best we have had! That is one of our favorite Italian dishes. I ordered my other favorite - Veal Piccate - which wasn't on the menu but they made w/o hesitation. I have to say the simple angel hair pasta with herbs and garlic that came with the Veal Piccate was almost the star. Hard to pick one out of that meal. Everything was perfect. It won't be 12 years..or even 12 days likely..before I return again. Best Italian in DC - try it!Special Features:
- Fabulous!!!pandoraDined on 7/25/2014We ate at Giovanni's on Friday night. The décor is dated and the wine list is basic, but the food is outstanding. We will not hesitate to eat here again & recommend it unreservedly.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Luv2dineVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was superb! The ambiance was inviting! And the service was impeccable! Patricia, the owner, was extremely personable. What more can anyone ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Giovanni's Trattu reviews archive.
- Primo!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014A perfect place for dinner with a colleague who is moving to San Francisco. Ideal for relaxed conversation over excellent food! We had a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Small, basement-level TrattoriamelmorVIPDined on 6/14/2014Dined with friends on a recent Saturday night. No valet service, contrary to Open Table information. Small, below street grade. Food adequate, certainly not great. Service very friendly. Wine list a bit hit-or-miss: lower priced wines not of good quality, but some good Barolo at about $85/ bottle. I would skip this restaurant.
- Excellent findArbyDined on 6/14/2014Dined here on a recommendation from a staff member at a nearby hotel. What a great find! Welcoming staff, very good food, comfortable setting. I look forward to returning on my next trip to D. C.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemdpdcVIPDined on 6/12/2014A wonderful neighborhood place which recalls an older, more graceful dinning scene, one not overrun by celebrity chiefs, no reservation arrogance, and $150 appetizers (Really?!?!).Special Features:
- Cozy, friendly neighborhood ItalianPecavoVIPDined on 6/7/2014Cozy, friendly staff, good food. A nice neighborhood retreat!Special Features:
- IllinoisJlliiiDined on 5/31/2014Excellent italian menu, plenty of good selections. Most are on the lighter side (Venetian ) of italian dishes. Options are plentiful. We sat outside at one of 2 outdoor tables, it was a bit tight but fine because the weather was perfect. Service was good, not outstanding but it was a slow night so we were not in a rush. Overall a very nice dinner for 2 and quiet. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Nice...butGraceBobVIPDined on 5/29/2014The place is nice, quaint, and tiny. A fresh coat of paint would go a LONG way. We were seated quickly by a lovely staff, all very sweet and kind. Wine list seemed very small, but well chosen for the restaurant. Caprese was nice, but $12.95 was absurd for unseasoned tomato slices and some cheese... no dressing, just some nasty julienne of carrots, Entrees were delicious, but dated, and lacked imagination. It was the end of the night, and we did enjoy ourselves. For the same money, STRONGLY recommend Floriana on 17th. It's comfort with style, and an amazing bartender with a HUGE wine list.Special Features:
- Great localTonissimoDined on 5/20/2014This is a great local gem. It is a long time favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014We celebrated a family birthday party and had a great time. Everyone was very happy with their dinners and we ordered an assortment of entrees. The atmosphere was lovely. The service was totally outstanding. They were attentive and they did not rush us at all. Overall an outstanding experience.Special Features:
- Italian Dupont GemMotownman38Dined on 5/14/2014I discovered Giovanni's Trattu by accident. I was taking a shortcut to meet a friend for lunch at another restaurant which was closed unexpectedly because of street and sidewalk construction. I met my friend, and we chose Giovanni's Trattu as an alternative dining spot. It turned out to be better than our original choice. Since that day late last year, I have returned to Giovanni's four times at the lunch hour. The food is always very good, and one can carry on a business conversation without having to raise one's voice unlike many Washington restaurants at the lunch hour. I look forward to many future luncheons at Giovanni's.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Food was just okay but nothing to get excited about. I would not go back or recommend it to others. Also, could have done without the singer.
- GRACE, CLASS AND REALLY GOOD FOODSardinianNickDined on 4/25/2014The perfect balance of fine food, service and atmosphere without: -- the excesses of I Ricchi --train-depot clamour of glorified pizza parlors masquerading as "italian restaurants" --outrageous Georgetown pricing and a noise level ideal for healthy human engagement while enjoying outstanding cuisine.Special Features:
- Great little neighborhood placeAverageGuyDined on 4/11/2014Our hotel actually made us a reservation at another Italian restaurant a few blocks away. When we got there it was very crowded and wildly expensive. We used open table and saw this restaurant was close and quickly made a reservation. We were not disappointed. This is a great little neighborhood place with fantastic Italian food. Entrees are in the $20 per person range and appetizers are around $8 each. We would absolutely go back. It is tiny and not overly fancy but great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pasta dishBrettonwoods1Dined on 4/10/2014It was my first visit and I had a superb experience. Great seri vice and ver good pasta (with sea food)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friday Night FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Stumbled upon this place looking for a last minute reservation and couldn't have been happier. Wine was great, Caesar salad dressing was light and refreshing and the eggplant parm and pasta was perfect. Would go back again next time we are in DC.Special Features:
- Excelent cuisine and serviceRanaDined on 3/18/2014Excelent cuisine, ingredients and cooking at their cooking time. Pretty good italian cuisine, locally done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Taste of StyledpdcVIPDined on 3/11/2014Giovanni's Trattu is not only a neighborhood gem but a nostalgic reminder of a time of 'local' restaurants were proud of their food and their heritage rather than celebrity driven, focus group derived impersonal palaces with just the right amount of fake atmosphere and rehearsed friendliness. Giovanni's is a wonderful place to spend a leisurely dinner with a friend over good wood, good wine, served by a staff that remembers you from the previous visit. And, don't miss 'Grandma's seafood stew' -- you will leave happy.Special Features:
- neighborhood gem!YummyAsAlwaysDined on 3/7/2014This quaint restaurant is cute and delicious. We went to dinner at 5:30 on a Friday night and were surprised to find it empty save for one lone patron. By the end of our meal we had the restaurant to ourselves. Maybe DC dinners start much later? The food and service was amazing though, and I would certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem tucked away on Jefferson St.PhyllisVIPDined on 3/6/2014Four of us dined and all had a different entrée; everything wonderfully prepared and served. There was a large party enjoying cocktails when we arrived and it was rather noisy, but always good to see a small restaurant doing a great business. The host was very welcoming and the ambiance is warm.Special Features:
- Charming Neighborhood RestaurantSallyDined on 3/1/2014Had a lovely dinner at this sweet neighborhood place.Special Features:
- Lovely place near Dupont2BlueYamVIPDined on 3/1/2014We really enjoyed a wonderful meal at this little Italian place near Dupont Circle. The Caprese salad and Prosciutto and melon starters were wonderful and generous enough to be split between four of us. Our fifth diner had a wonderful Pea soup. The entrees from the Chicken Marsala to the pasta dishes for our party of five were all well prepared and tasty. The service was always there when we needed anything and never bothersome when we did not.
- Highs and lowsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/27/2014Had lunch recently with a business acquaintance. Carrot soup was outstanding--very tasty and creamy (but no cream in it). Rigatoni, not so much--overcooked, shapeless pasta, non-descript sauce. Disappointing, since I believe the pasta is a bellwether of quality in an Italian restaurant. Friendly, attentive service in a very intimate setting that is conducive to conversation. I would recommend heartily if the food were more consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/19/2014The service was wonderful. It was our first visit but we felt like old friends. Calamari was tender, surprising for traditional rings. The shrimp risotto was well done and the cannoli was fantastic. My friend's special: grilled magi magi with polenta and veggies was delicious. The polenta wedges were so well done, crisp on the outside creamy on the inside. Overall great meal.Special Features: