Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville
909 20th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.giovanninashville.com/
- Phone: 6157605932x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giovanni Pinato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville
At Giovanni's you will experience creative Italian cuisine in a multi level, chic and relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville - Best Restaurants in West End ›
Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (45)special occasion (43)notable wine list (43)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (16)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Giovanni's NashvilleFECLDined on 9/27/2014Everything between very good and excellent. A deterrent to go back is the mark-up of wine. We are used to be charged 40-60 dollars in a restaurant, for bottles that can be purchased for 15-20 in the store, which seems fair. In contrast, the wine list at this restaurant has a few bottles in the 60-70 range whereas most others are above 100, commonly in the 200s and higher. I recognized some brands for which the mark up was 1000%.Special Features:
- NashvilleVIPDined on 9/26/2014Terrific food and evening. Great service. Giovanni's is the finest Italian in the city and one of the best anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkipDined on 9/20/2014Love the ambience but food was quite average, service acceptable but not outstanding. It was my wife's birthday which I discussed with the hostess when we arrived, but nothing was done,maybe they don't cater to special occasions. Oh well, nothong too impressive for a $275.00 meal.Special Features:
- GreatNashvilleVIPDined on 9/19/2014As always......wonderful. This is a treasure and a great New York City style Italian high quality restaurant. Glad Giovanni moved to Nashville. You can't miss going to Giovanni's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceAbbaDined on 9/5/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the excellent food quality & knowledgable staff, it's always a great sign when the waiter's been with the restaurant over 5 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nashville's best restaurantmagicaljrDined on 9/5/2014Casual elegant Italian. Fabulous menu and wine list. Italian owner (from Italy) run.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in NashvilleDraculDined on 9/4/2014As always, Giovanni Ristorante never fails to exceed expectations. Quite how eludes me. The owners, core staff, chef and waiters truly treat you as valued friends, the kind you would never fail to top up their glass or offer cracked pepper to if the the tables were turned. By FAR the best restaurant in Nashville. Not flavor of the month, not pretentious, just a safe haven of great food and great company. Robin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 8/29/2014Excellent had friends in from Detroit and they were very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Food was amazing as well the service I will absolutely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressed.wagyuloverDined on 8/21/2014I was not impressed one bit with this place. They had no real notable bottle under hundred dollars on their menu and then the price jumps to $150+, with the average and the $185 mark. The mushroom soup had a great consistency but was way over salted. The pasta dishes came out on the cold side. After $180 with modest ordering, I am very underwhelmed. I do not believe I will be returning.Special Features:
- Nice but...NashFoodieDined on 8/16/2014The place is nice, good location wait staff was great. The food was above average and the staff was really good. Only complaint is we had the first reservation available on a Saturday night, 7:30 on 8/16. It was our 33rd anniversary. The only complaint is it took 40 minutes between our salads and entree. I have been to many top of the line places all around the country and for a place that wants to be 5 star and charges 5 star prices, totally unacceptable. We were just about to leave when the entrees came out. No complaints about the food or wait staff but waiting that long when the spending $175 for dinner for two just doesn't cut it. Maybe they had an off night but for that price I will be looking elsewhere first next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was average for the price but we will never go back. The staff was not welcoming and almost condescending. Not worth it.Special Features:
- divineJMcKayVIPDined on 8/3/2014We found out about Giovanni's Ristorante while searching nearby available options through Open Table. Within minutes of our arrival, "The Wall Street Journal" had posted a favorable review on Foursquare so we certainly felt we were in for a treat. And we were indeed. The service and ambiance was reminiscent of our dining in Europe and the food was not only locally fresh, it was beautifully plated and presented. The next time we are in Nashville, this will certainly be on the top of our list. We've also made it's recommendation to friends and family in Nashville - only jealous that they are closer than we are!Special Features:
- NotOldbutearlyDinerDined on 8/2/2014Always enjoyable and our third visit did not disappoint. Try the homemade Lemoncello.Special Features:
- Overall Great ExperienceDeltaFoodieDined on 7/31/2014Everytime we dine at Giovanni's we love the food and service. From some traditional Italian dishes to great seafood offerings, the food is very good. The cocktail and wine menus have some lovely choices, but far too expensive. A 1 1/2 ounce pour of a decent bourbon was $ 17.00. You have to ask for a wines by the glass menu to find any wine that is affordable. This is our only complaint. We will be back. Wonderful restaurant overall.Special Features:
- Amazing!LindamarieDined on 7/30/2014When to dinner with my husband for his birthday... everything was amazing. Service,food. Ect. Love the upstairs...very beautiful! We will be back with family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodjunkieDined on 7/26/2014When we arrived at Giovanni's, we were immediately impressed by the decor of the restaurant. It was beautiful, and they even had a live piano player. But after that, it went down hill. We ordered a $60 bottle of wine, which we were surprised was a twist off. We shared an order of chicken Parmesan, which tasted like it came straight from the freezer then heated in the microwave. All in all, this place was way overpriced for sub-par food and beverages.
- Impressivelove2eatDined on 7/25/2014Went here for our anniversary and we weren't disappointed. Food was good but drink prices were a bit steep. Would definitely go again, but not for drinks. The servers were trained well. No real complaints. We were on vacation from Georgia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/24/2014Great food (veal & lasagna are best outside of NYC); great service (Aaron was stellar) and great reception (Jessica + Giovanni were both very welcoming).
- Amazing Italian Restaurant!TNGnashvilleVIPDined on 7/19/2014If you are looking for some great Italian food, Giovanni's is the place! Yes, it is pricey, but worth it!! All eight people loved their entrees and plates were all wiped clean! We also shared four appetizers and 4 desserts! We didn't have a single thing we didn't like! I had one of the specials, which was rigatoni with procciutto and peas and a light vodka cream sauce.... Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentgoodchiaDined on 7/6/2014By far the best Italian food in Nashville...and trust me I have tried it all. Not only is the food suburb, but they hospitality matches as well. To give you an idea, I was debating between pasta and a veal dish and even though I went with the veal dish, they brought us out a free plate of the pasta to sample.Special Features:
- Not good experience, first visitbratchDined on 7/5/2014Frequent vistors to Nashville and try manly local resturants First visit here, 9:00 reservation when we get menus we were told: out of lasagna entrée ?? or no tagliatelle noodles for Bolognese entrée ?? I ordered tagrolina with shrimp and vegetables, bland tasting with only 3-4 medium shrimp and three whole garlic cloves(not minced,sliced,etc) no salt and pepper shakers on our table, but were on all other tables ? waiter never noticed or offered them for our table, at this point we did without, but entrees ended up ordering needed help seems very disappointing an Italian restaurant would be out of basic entrée items on a Saturday night !
- Excellent food. Expensive wineBigRobDined on 7/5/2014Our second time at Giovonni's. Food is always very good. My only critique is with their wine list. While quite extensive, the pricing is extremely high. Easily 3x retail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2014One of my favorite Italian restaurants in the country. As close to real Italian food as you can get. Usually have to go to Italy or NYC for this type of Italian. We always hit Giovanni's when in Nashville!Special Features:
- AMORE!!!!NawlinsgalDined on 6/15/2014Michael and Andy were impeccable with their recommendations and wait service. The restaurant atmosphere was like we were back dining in Rome. Soup of the day was a spinach, broccoli cream soup---not too salty and cream was perfect consistency. Homemade bread lightly toasted for our Caprese Salad, entrees- Lasagna was so smooth and I asked for Chicken Marsala with extra mushrooms. It wasn't on the menu but the chef today was the sous chef, Giovanni, so he whipped up the Marsala sauce with so many yummy mushrooms over tender chicken breasts that I didn't need a knife to cut with a side of homemade pasta. Tiramasu is made fresh by the chef daily along with other desserts. Homemade Lemoncello, it is creamy and ice cold. Go upstairs and seeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This is our 2nd time to dine at Giovanni's. We are from Memphis and our son takes a class in the summer at Vanderbilt. Has great food and great people. Will definitely be back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experience.ClindseyDined on 6/14/2014Great authentic Italian food, outstanding wine selection and impeccable service. Dining area a little cramped. Would have preferred upstairs seating for a more quaint setting without all the foot traffic from the entry, but overall a great experience for a special occasion. Too pricey for a normal evening dining out, that is unless you prefer dinner without wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giovanni'sEatMoreVeggiesVIPDined on 6/10/2014Fantastic menu, delicious food, very comfortable and attractive ambience, excellent service. The best Italian food in Nashville.Special Features:
- Splendid wow what a great gemLalaDined on 6/8/2014We were treated like royalty. We did not feel rushed in any way. We had a wonderful time with friends. Love the wine list. Pre lit and all. Will be great when the menus are the same! We enjoy the experience. Was a disappointed that they did not do anything special for the birthday boy. We would have liked to sit upstairs but it was closed. The food was perfect size with no leftovers. Love the creme brûlée. Gelato was good especially the passion fruit flavor. The trout was to die for. We were well fed but did not feel over stuffed. Lol. Love the front door. So beautiful and elegantly decorated. A glass window was well placed so that you could see some of the kitchen. The floors were spotlessly clean. We enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJenniferDined on 6/7/2014Giovanni's far surpassed my expectations. The food and service were impeccable. I will definitely visit the restaurant again.Special Features:
- The following 282 reviews are from the Giovanni's Ristorante - Nashville reviews archive.
- DealerDealerVIPDined on 5/27/2014All 5 entrees were excellent. Wait staff professional and efficient while non-obtrusive. Atmosphere comfortable. Best Italian food in Nashville. Looking forward to returning with friends.Special Features:
- ExcellenceChefDDined on 5/25/2014I experienced the most exciting and delicious meal of my life. Christian, maître d' of the evening blew me away sending me on an adventure through Italy, and what tradition truly feels & tastes like. Thank you Giovanni's for a dining experience to remember forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-School Italian Yumluv2eatoutVIPDined on 5/23/2014The Real Deal. The wine was pretty overpriced more than usually expected, but all else was fantasticSpecial Features:
- Best Food Ever!!theRegularGuyDined on 5/23/2014I went to Giovanni 's for an anniversary and was very pleased with the experience. The ambiance is nice and the service is top notch but what really makes this place awesome is the fact that the food is great. I'm a regular guy and I don't usually like foods that I can't pronounce correctly but the food at this place was delicious and filling. They also gave us chocolate cake for our anniversary. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great meal at GiosOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/22/2014we always sit in the bar area, it's almost like Cheers for locals, also our little gem for Sundays as not to hard to get into then and food is excellent and cocktails rock!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our first timeJCNashvilleDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I take another couple with us several times a year to enjoy this fine restaurant. The ambience and service are terrific and the food is consistently top notch. The fare is wonderfully authentic Italian...think veal, pasta, fish. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Over priced!FoodguyDined on 5/10/2014I enjoy the finer things for sure and am no stranger to expensive dining... This place however charges along the lines of a world class steak house and it is pasta!!! Then into the wine and drinks! 15 dollars a glass for a house wine which costs 15 a bottle retail... And 12 dollars for a Crown Royal! Will not be back! Can have a great dinner at Kayne Prime for ghe same money or less! To make matters worse, it wasnt even very good Italien! Have had much better... Even at places like Zolo's in Franklin for half the money.Special Features:
- Pricey and wetHabsFanVIPDined on 5/9/2014The food was very good but I've had as good if not better for much less in Nashville. It's very expensive and it's nothing special overall, unless you consider water dripping on you during the meal (they said it was from the A/C, no apologies) a special treat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Exceptional service and food. Great atmosphere and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Start with the basicsFoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2014Overpriced for pasta. Waiters all in a rush. No specials. Drinks overpriced. Waiter did not want to take time to take my wife's and my drink order at the same time. Brought my drink then took her drink order. Served bread and dropped of olive oil. I had to ask for grated cheese and pepper. Came back and just dropped pepper grinder on the table without offering to grind for us. Clearly not a fine dining establishment. So should not advertise themselves as one.Special Features: