Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
75 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10111Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rananyc.com/
- Phone: 2123700975
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Francesco Berardinelli & Giancarlo Perbellini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina brings the passion and commitment, high quality, artisanal pasta to the U.S. in the form of a full-service restaurant, where fresh pasta is made on site daily in a glass-enclosed Pasta Studio, and hand-selected rare and regional Italian products and prepared foods are available to take home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (38)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (19)notable wine list (16)romantic (16)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (13)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Market GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Rana is on the street and in the Chelsea market, in one of the hottest neighborhoods in NYC. I am always surprised when I bring a local friend and they have not been there. They feature homemade pasta and sprinkle the menu with gourmet favorites and seafood. The ravioli is a highlight each time. You can not go wrong here for a reasonable and delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of planning....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, I had probably the best "bolognese"in a long time.However, there were out of several items in the menu, which was very frustrating. My friends had to settle for their third choice....Their excuse was that they had a very busy lunch/brunch. That is lack of planning.
- FAST FOOD FEASTOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a delicious dinner at Giovanni Rana that was spoiled by fast-food service. We had hardly begun to enjoy our drinks before our salad was served, a beautifully rustic presentation of tomatoes and mozzarella. We were in the midst of sharing that when our main courses arrived. BAD ! We complained to our waiter and the manager came over to apologize, but the bottom line was that we were out of Giovanni Rana in under an hour. I suppose I'd recommend the restaurant if you went knowing our problem and were explicit in directions to the waiter about how you wanted your meal to be served.Special Features:
- not for a special occasion!DiningwithfriendsDined on 8/13/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday and asked that the individual celebrating their birthday be given a candle on their desert. unfortunately this was not done. would we go back, yes since the pasta was amazing, but not for a birthday since asking for anything special seems to be too difficult given how busy they are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberFSoalheiroDined on 8/8/2014Antonella Rana and Chiara made our night as memorable as it could possible get. I proposed to my girlfriend over dinner, at the very same place we had our first date almost 2 years ago. They even found a way to provide us with the off-menu gem of Lobster Mezzalunas, which was what we had on our first night there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyMikeDined on 8/7/2014It's a big place, but a low ceiling, as a result, even though we sat down around 9:00 PM it did not get to a noise level where we could here each other speak until 10:00 PM. The appetizers were okay, but the main dishes mediocre. There was a squid ink linguine that 3 people ordered and only one liked. I had an octopus 'stew' which was much too salty. The service was very helpful and nice, too bad the food didn't rise to the same level.
- Great service.DivatobeDined on 8/6/2014We were a party of 6. Half of the us got there 5 minutes before we did and they were seated, great! We asked for a certain type of pasta for our 7 yr old and it was easy breezy, fabulous! I asked for the vanilla ravioli which wasn't on the desert menu, she was able to accommodate, superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnaPDined on 8/6/2014The ambience and the food are great. The service could be more friendly but it is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Experience PossibleDavidCDined on 8/5/2014Simply put, I am allergic to pepper, the spice. Naturally I said it as a first item in the discussion with the waitress. So she brought us bread, apparently infused with pepper without saying a word. After I recovered, dinner came. She said, "Oh, I forgot" then stopped herself. So I asked if there might be pepper in my food. She wasn't sure. I took one bite and of course there was. We give our waitress a genuine F. Ruined the evening and it went without as much as an apology. Who knows, maybe the food is good. I sure wouldn't know.
- Good food, but touristyetbgVIPDined on 8/3/2014Given that it's 2 blocks from my apartment, I will definitely go back. The homemade pasta is delicious. The fact that they have a kids menu is also great. But, overall, it is a little pricey, for what it is, and seems to be filled with tourists.Special Features:
- Great pasta but bad serviceNachomrDined on 8/2/2014Very loud place. Tables are too close to each other. Waiters were talking among themselves instead of servicing the clients.
- AkshayaDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service. Lots of options for vegetarians too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECTACULARBrian2014NYCDined on 7/31/2014This is the second time we have dined at Giovanni Rana, and like a fine wine, it improves with age. There are so many wonderful things to recommend about Rana. Our server was lovely, the ambiance was like being in Italy, and the food was beyond delicious. The proprietor, Antonella, remembered my wife from our last visit, which was over one year ago, and she is such a delight! We will absolutely be returning to Rana, but not with as much time lapsed in between - as in within this month!Special Features:
- Giovanni RanaDOCHEADDined on 7/28/2014Great experience. Very good food, friendly service. Perfect dinner! I really recommend it!!Special Features:
- AlexDined on 7/27/2014Nothing to say besides awesome. Nice place, great food, good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Amazing!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014I have been living in New York City for over 4 years. I have tried many restaurants but Giovanni Rana is the best restaurant so far I have been too. Great food, great energy. Maybe pasta is a little over price and could make this as a once in a life occasion for a medium or low income person; if the pasta would be 5 dollars less it would be very nice. Congratulations.Special Features:
- TT03Dined on 7/24/2014Celebraated my son's birthday here -we were a group of 5. Every pasta dish we had was fresh and delishous, the portion sizes were just right and the service was very good. Will definately be returning!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2014the food was excellent. the service was not so good. wait service was not attentive, didn't ask if we wanted another bottle of wine (which we did), started to clear plates before we were finished. however, the pasta was out of this world. i brought 2 colleagues in from Germany. They loved the food and antipasto plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- entertain out of towerssouthamptoneaterDined on 7/22/2014We are native New Yorkers, never went here. Took visiting friends, they loved it and took away a great impression of our city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in Italy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Best Italian food since my trip to Italy. Authentic, fresh and absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Pasta DisheschrispyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We've been eyeing Giovanni... since we started coming to Chelsea Market a few years ago. The fresh pasta by the entrance always looked so good. Unfortunately, our first (and probably only) dining experience there did not meet our expectations. Service was hurried, the room was exceedingly noisy, and the food, especially the pasta dishes we sampled, was disappointing. The main problem for us was they tried to take classic pasta dishes and reinvent them to the point they were hardly recognizable. The pasta dough, unexpectedly in a place that makes so much of their own, was very heavy and gummy. The sauces were much richer than they should have been. It's too bad because we come there so often it would have been a great place to stop at again.
- Overall a disappointmentchrisnycDined on 7/16/2014I was looking forward to trying Giovanni Rana as a possible venue for our wedding reception. I had a reservation for 2 at 7:30, and we were seated promptly. We had perfectly fine service throughout the evening, but every single item we ordered, with the exception of the Big Spender cocktail (which was delicious) was a disappointment. The pea soup was bland, the bolognese was one-dimensional, the meat and cheese platter looked like it came from Gristede's, and the chocolate ravioli were dense. Furthermore, the restaurant is not inexpensive. Our meal was over $160, including tip. I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a truly satisfying meal.
- Felt at homeElinorDined on 7/14/2014Loved everything about this place. I went with my dad. Eating out at restaurants has never really been my thing, but my dad is helping me learn more about it and in turn we are building a wonderful bond. This was the perfect place to do that.Special Features:
- So noisy waitress could not hear usLongtimeNYerVIPDined on 7/11/2014The noise level is intolerable. The waitress could not hear us and got the order wrong. We asked to move outside because it was quieter on 9th Avenue and 15th Street than in the restaurant--which is not a good thing. No one seemed surprised at this request, and they were nice about moving us. But note that the sidewalk there is NOT charming in terms of view, noise, or ambience. The food was okay, but not special in any way. While they specialize in house-made pasta, the menu offered only ravioli and linguini, and no unusual or interesting sauces. We were told the specialty pastas were for taking home to cook. We'd recently dined at the London branch of this restaurant, and that was excellent, so this was especially disappointing.
- All goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Excellent food -- super fresh pasta and very good service. We were a group of 5 and we all enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/11/2014food was soooo bad we had to get a second dinner later that night
- Andrew22Dined on 6/6/2014Nothing special at all....no reason to return. Food was presented nicely, but no real taste, looked Italian, but tasted very American. This is a place for tourists.
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/5/2014This is my second time at Giovanni Rana. The food is excellent, and the service was great, but we waited a long time for our food. About a 45 minute wait. When the food finally came out, there was a good 10 minute wait for the last person to receive her meal. It was a tough call because we were all starving but didn't know if we should wait or not. To compensate, our server brought desserts to the table which was nice. I would go back but I was surprised by the slow kitchen.
- One of the best past places in NYCwestsideDined on 6/2/2014I always enjoy this place. Exceptional food and very 'soho' style interior. But they need to keep the restroom pristine clean. Yes it's a restaurant but the condition of the bathroom isn't match with the name and quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and unique Italian dishesLB313Dined on 5/18/2014Excellent fresh pasta options. Mostly great service (we had 1 bad server out of many). Went just for dinner - the host and our first waitress was very friendly and helpful. Wide array of dishes, including different fresh pastas, seafood and meat dishes and many different appetizers. Overall experience was great, would go back again... But would avoid some wait staff, as they were very slow and never checked on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pastas we ever had!MariBVIPDined on 5/10/2014The touristy atmosphere at Chelsea Market contradicts the foodie scene, making me fear that Rana might not deliver; we were SO wrong! My mom declared it the best bolognese she's EVER had, and my squid ink linguini with lobster was spectacular. The cheese plate was delish, and I was impressed to have them ask us when we would want the pastas brought out so that they could time the kitchen perfectly. Cannot wait to go try more wonderful eats at Rana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic pasta!MaxGDined on 5/9/2014I was really surprised at the quality of the food at Giovanni's. We had the beet fusillone and the broccoli rabe ravioli as well as a side of the caponata. Everything was delicious! The place is a bit crowded and noisy but the food makes up for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014I found the food to be very good and pasta is without a doubt homemade and could def could have kept eating. The service was very fast, only 30 mins for 2 people on a Friday night. That being said, what would keep me from coming back was that it was $120 for 2 people yet the portions did not even come close to meeting that price scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 241 reviews are from the Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina reviews archive.
- Out of items on menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014They have a limited menu mostly to ravioli. The Squid linguini and Beet entree were not available. Two lower priced wines were also not available. I ordered the broccoli rabe with sausage ravioli. Very small bits of sausage and not much broccoli. No sauce to mention either. Bread was great. Crostini appetizer bread was hard as a rock! Rest rooms dirty.Special Features:
- Always a sure thing!JMWilliamsDined on 4/25/2014Whenever I have guests in town, this is one of my 'go to' places. The food, drinks, service and ambiance is always a hit! Then I nice walk through Chelsea Market to walk-off some of the deliciousness! I had family visiting this past weekend and they had seen a special dessert that was prepared for the Easter holiday season. While it was no longer on the menu, we asked about it and they made it for them. You always know how to make your guests feel special!!!Special Features:
- Great Experience!IritstopVIPDined on 4/22/2014Five of us had a wonderful meal at this restaurant. Great ambiance, rustic woods and copper pots hanging from the ceiling for decor. Very lively, but authentic and warm at the same time. Service was fantastic. The Pasta is like none I have ever had before in my life. Everything from whole wheat to chocolate ravioli. Very creative, and innovative take on a traditional food. Even though we ate lots of pasta (could not resist, wanted to try a little bit of everything) we did not walk out feeling overstuffed. My two favorite were the pasta bolognese, and the chocolate ravioli for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent, eclectic food venueArtyWoman69VIPDined on 4/17/2014I love the setting of this restaurant -- from the fine linen napkins -- to the wood-hewn tables, it is a delight for the senses. Its location in the Chelsea Market (actually you enter from outside) is convenient and trendy. The food which includes many healthy options (e.g., fresh-made juices) is always delicious, though the portions are small. I've enjoyed the salads, soups and meat dishes -- all are excellent. Nice time, I will try the pasta which is their specialty. The service is prompt, but they can lose track of you after you get your plate. The place is noisy when the crowds descend, so try to get there early if you want to have a real conversation over your exceptional food.Special Features:
- Great Find!GloMoDined on 4/13/2014Stumbled upon this restaurant, and it was a great find! Was in NYC for only 4 days and ate here twice. Everyone knows you could eat out every day in NYC and never eat at the same place twice. Well -- I would have eaten here everyday if I had found it sooner. Great food and an excellent wait staff. Very impressed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good all around, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/9/2014Not worth the price. The prices at Rana rival those at Babbo. There are so many restaurants in Manhattan that offer fresh pasta for half the price of Rana, that I just can't justify paying $25 a plate when I can get equally good pasta for $12 a plate. Just look at their takeout menu to see what their pasta SHOULD cost. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed my meal very much, and I think Rana is a solid restaurant in every way; I just don't think it's twice as good as it's competition, and so I probably wont be going back unless I'm in the area and desperate to eat immediately. You'd do much better to just order their takeout and eat it up on the Highline!
- too cute by half?luv2eatVIPDined on 4/9/2014Call me a cynic and a curmudgeon - but I don't get the buzz over this restaurant. The space is typical post-industrial minimalism and the food is on the plus side of OK. I've dined there several times and keep hoping for that "holy cow" moment that never comes. If you want really good Italian - there are better places.Special Features: