Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
75 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10111Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rananyc.com/
- Phone: 2123700975
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Francesco Berardinelli & Giancarlo Perbellini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina brings the passion and commitment, high quality, artisanal pasta to the U.S. in the form of a full-service restaurant, where fresh pasta is made on site daily in a glass-enclosed Pasta Studio, and hand-selected rare and regional Italian products and prepared foods are available to take home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (39)good for groups (34)great for lunch (23)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (21)kid-friendly (17)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (12)notable wine list (12)hot spot (11)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Amazing Pasta!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I have never been to Chelsea Market before and didn't even realize that this restaurant existed. Boy am I glad I found it. The homemade pasta was the best I have ever had. We did the pasta tasting where you can order 3-5 different ones, we did the 5 and one was better than the next. Service was exceptional and the atmosphere was fantastic. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Great pasta, all made fresh with the best seasonal products availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodFoodTravelGuy2014Dined on 10/15/2014This place was loud with a busy bar crowd. It's really hard to enjoy an intimate dinner because of the noise. . .great food though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeding the massesmhm2020Dined on 10/8/2014This restaurant seems to be more interested in catering to busloads of tourists or corporate groups than winning over individual tables of NYC diners. I was here with two friends recently and while the food was fine, it didn't stand out and didn't compensate for the lackluster service which was clearly spread very thin. Not good enough to stand out from similar nearby places like Crispo.Special Features:
- Very LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Food is good as is the service but the noise level is so high on a busy evening that it is hard to carry on a conversation. Also the chairs are mixed with different wood kinds and metal kinds all of which are uncomfortable. Feeling is crowded as well with tables close to each other. Getting by these negatives leaves you with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014The food was presented well and more importantly tasted good. The deserts, however, blew my mind. In particular, the chocolate ravioli.Special Features:
- Doesn't disappointsouthamptoneaterDined on 10/1/2014Have taken out of town visitors twice and the food and location were great. Also close to the High Line for a lovely stroll and lots of shopping in Chelsea Market, notably Artist and Fleas market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very worthwhile dining experienceHawksDined on 9/23/2014Visiting New York from Australia and a friend had recommended this restaurant to us. The food was excellent, up there with the best we had in New York. We had lunch there but would be great for dinner as well. Rani also had a great atmosphere and whilst vibrant it wasn't too noisy and of course a great location. Service wasn't fantastic but nothing wrong with it.Special Features:
- Very AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Nothing noteworthy here. I'd look elsewhere if you want an exceptional meal.
- Good but could be betterTerrysart2VIPDined on 9/15/2014I found the resturant to be really attractive with a good vibe about it. Enjoyed sitting outside and watching the passers by. My service was very good and the staff very friendly; however, I did not find the food was average, the servings small and the price too high relative to the quality and portions. I can pay the same price and maybe even get the same portion size at other NY resturants where the quality makes the portion and price still feel like a great value. If I were to recommend the resturant it would be to someone who just wanted a Copland different place, but knew the food would be average and portions small. Again, the staff and service were excellent.
- Great spot! Loved it!xstrblDined on 9/13/2014We got a recommendation from a friend for this place, and we loved it! Great ambience, fabulous food, lovely waitress, fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014While the price may be a bi of a deterrent, it is definitely worth it for an occasion or celebration, as you can also purchase the fresh pasta to cook at home. It was my first time dining in the restaurant, so I was mainly there for the pasta - would love to return to try their other entree options. Great, cozy atmosphere, and enough space that you don't feel crammed. Service is wonderful, very attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- A little be disappointedEatLoverDined on 9/12/2014I went for the first time a month ago. Was awesome amazing and a great experience in every level. We were sitting close to the entrance and we got an amazing service. Thursday night we say by the window facing the outdoor table, I don't remember the name of the waiter but he was a little off from our table. Not to friendly and probably not in a waiting mood that day. He served us white wine he poor it once in our glass and that was it, he left it on the table and we were serving ourselves all night. Considering that we pay a good amount of money I expect at list a little more service. Overall of course the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksThanksDined on 9/8/2014Thanks! I took a client here and we had a great experience. The service was outstanding all around. Prompt seating, attentive waiter with great recommendations, and the food was amazing!!Special Features:
- always goodrafcalVIPDined on 8/30/2014Evey time we visit NY we have to stop in, at least once. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market GemWorldaware10Dined on 8/25/2014Rana is on the street and in the Chelsea market, in one of the hottest neighborhoods in NYC. I am always surprised when I bring a local friend and they have not been there. They feature homemade pasta and sprinkle the menu with gourmet favorites and seafood. The ravioli is a highlight each time. You can not go wrong here for a reasonable and delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of planning....zelfVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was great, I had probably the best "bolognese"in a long time.However, there were out of several items in the menu, which was very frustrating. My friends had to settle for their third choice....Their excuse was that they had a very busy lunch/brunch. That is lack of planning.
- FAST FOOD FEASTOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a delicious dinner at Giovanni Rana that was spoiled by fast-food service. We had hardly begun to enjoy our drinks before our salad was served, a beautifully rustic presentation of tomatoes and mozzarella. We were in the midst of sharing that when our main courses arrived. BAD ! We complained to our waiter and the manager came over to apologize, but the bottom line was that we were out of Giovanni Rana in under an hour. I suppose I'd recommend the restaurant if you went knowing our problem and were explicit in directions to the waiter about how you wanted your meal to be served.Special Features:
- not for a special occasion!DiningwithfriendsDined on 8/13/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday and asked that the individual celebrating their birthday be given a candle on their desert. unfortunately this was not done. would we go back, yes since the pasta was amazing, but not for a birthday since asking for anything special seems to be too difficult given how busy they are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberFSoalheiroDined on 8/8/2014Antonella Rana and Chiara made our night as memorable as it could possible get. I proposed to my girlfriend over dinner, at the very same place we had our first date almost 2 years ago. They even found a way to provide us with the off-menu gem of Lobster Mezzalunas, which was what we had on our first night there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyMikeDined on 8/7/2014It's a big place, but a low ceiling, as a result, even though we sat down around 9:00 PM it did not get to a noise level where we could here each other speak until 10:00 PM. The appetizers were okay, but the main dishes mediocre. There was a squid ink linguine that 3 people ordered and only one liked. I had an octopus 'stew' which was much too salty. The service was very helpful and nice, too bad the food didn't rise to the same level.
- Great service.DivatobeDined on 8/6/2014We were a party of 6. Half of the us got there 5 minutes before we did and they were seated, great! We asked for a certain type of pasta for our 7 yr old and it was easy breezy, fabulous! I asked for the vanilla ravioli which wasn't on the desert menu, she was able to accommodate, superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnaPDined on 8/6/2014The ambience and the food are great. The service could be more friendly but it is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Experience PossibleDavidCDined on 8/5/2014Simply put, I am allergic to pepper, the spice. Naturally I said it as a first item in the discussion with the waitress. So she brought us bread, apparently infused with pepper without saying a word. After I recovered, dinner came. She said, "Oh, I forgot" then stopped herself. So I asked if there might be pepper in my food. She wasn't sure. I took one bite and of course there was. We give our waitress a genuine F. Ruined the evening and it went without as much as an apology. Who knows, maybe the food is good. I sure wouldn't know.
- Good food, but touristyetbgVIPDined on 8/3/2014Given that it's 2 blocks from my apartment, I will definitely go back. The homemade pasta is delicious. The fact that they have a kids menu is also great. But, overall, it is a little pricey, for what it is, and seems to be filled with tourists.Special Features:
- Great pasta but bad serviceNachomrDined on 8/2/2014Very loud place. Tables are too close to each other. Waiters were talking among themselves instead of servicing the clients.
- AkshayaDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service. Lots of options for vegetarians too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPECTACULARBrian2014NYCDined on 7/31/2014This is the second time we have dined at Giovanni Rana, and like a fine wine, it improves with age. There are so many wonderful things to recommend about Rana. Our server was lovely, the ambiance was like being in Italy, and the food was beyond delicious. The proprietor, Antonella, remembered my wife from our last visit, which was over one year ago, and she is such a delight! We will absolutely be returning to Rana, but not with as much time lapsed in between - as in within this month!Special Features:
- Giovanni RanaDOCHEADDined on 7/28/2014Great experience. Very good food, friendly service. Perfect dinner! I really recommend it!!Special Features:
- AlexDined on 7/27/2014Nothing to say besides awesome. Nice place, great food, good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Amazing!!!!EatLoverDined on 7/24/2014I have been living in New York City for over 4 years. I have tried many restaurants but Giovanni Rana is the best restaurant so far I have been too. Great food, great energy. Maybe pasta is a little over price and could make this as a once in a life occasion for a medium or low income person; if the pasta would be 5 dollars less it would be very nice. Congratulations.Special Features:
- TT03Dined on 7/24/2014Celebraated my son's birthday here -we were a group of 5. Every pasta dish we had was fresh and delishous, the portion sizes were just right and the service was very good. Will definately be returning!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/23/2014the food was excellent. the service was not so good. wait service was not attentive, didn't ask if we wanted another bottle of wine (which we did), started to clear plates before we were finished. however, the pasta was out of this world. i brought 2 colleagues in from Germany. They loved the food and antipasto plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- entertain out of towerssouthamptoneaterDined on 7/22/2014We are native New Yorkers, never went here. Took visiting friends, they loved it and took away a great impression of our city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in Italy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Best Italian food since my trip to Italy. Authentic, fresh and absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Pasta DisheschrispyVIPDined on 7/19/2014We've been eyeing Giovanni... since we started coming to Chelsea Market a few years ago. The fresh pasta by the entrance always looked so good. Unfortunately, our first (and probably only) dining experience there did not meet our expectations. Service was hurried, the room was exceedingly noisy, and the food, especially the pasta dishes we sampled, was disappointing. The main problem for us was they tried to take classic pasta dishes and reinvent them to the point they were hardly recognizable. The pasta dough, unexpectedly in a place that makes so much of their own, was very heavy and gummy. The sauces were much richer than they should have been. It's too bad because we come there so often it would have been a great place to stop at again.
- Overall a disappointmentchrisnycDined on 7/16/2014I was looking forward to trying Giovanni Rana as a possible venue for our wedding reception. I had a reservation for 2 at 7:30, and we were seated promptly. We had perfectly fine service throughout the evening, but every single item we ordered, with the exception of the Big Spender cocktail (which was delicious) was a disappointment. The pea soup was bland, the bolognese was one-dimensional, the meat and cheese platter looked like it came from Gristede's, and the chocolate ravioli were dense. Furthermore, the restaurant is not inexpensive. Our meal was over $160, including tip. I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a truly satisfying meal.
- Felt at homeElinorDined on 7/14/2014Loved everything about this place. I went with my dad. Eating out at restaurants has never really been my thing, but my dad is helping me learn more about it and in turn we are building a wonderful bond. This was the perfect place to do that.Special Features:
- So noisy waitress could not hear usLongtimeNYerVIPDined on 7/11/2014The noise level is intolerable. The waitress could not hear us and got the order wrong. We asked to move outside because it was quieter on 9th Avenue and 15th Street than in the restaurant--which is not a good thing. No one seemed surprised at this request, and they were nice about moving us. But note that the sidewalk there is NOT charming in terms of view, noise, or ambience. The food was okay, but not special in any way. While they specialize in house-made pasta, the menu offered only ravioli and linguini, and no unusual or interesting sauces. We were told the specialty pastas were for taking home to cook. We'd recently dined at the London branch of this restaurant, and that was excellent, so this was especially disappointing.
- All goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Excellent food -- super fresh pasta and very good service. We were a group of 5 and we all enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 249 reviews are from the Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina reviews archive.