Gio's Ristorante and Bar
701 Market Street
Saint Louis, MO 63101Neighborhood:
Downtown St. Louis
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gio's Ristorante and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://giosdowntown.com/
- Phone: 3142412424
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: John Ruggeri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Gio's offers off-premise catering tailored to suit all of your needs. From elegant sit down dinners, cocktail parties, holiday get togethers to box lunches, Gio's fits the bill. Call John or Jill at (314) 241-2424 for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Gio’s is the perfect place to hold your next corporate event, rehearsal dinner, shower, wedding reception, birthday or anniversary party. Gio's can accommodate groups of 10 to 200.
- Private Party Contact: John or Jill 3142412424
- Entertainment: Bar Gio has four flat screen televisions so you can watch all of your favorite teams play, while listening to the most up-to-date satellite music inside and out on the patio. Watching the chef make pizzas adds to your viewing enjoyment.
- Cross Street: 7th Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Gio"s parking garage is located on the 8th Street entrance of the Gateway One Building. Guests take the elevator to the 1st floor lobby level of the building. Restaurant is located on the left in the lobby level. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Gio's Ristorante and Bar
Welcome to Gio's Ristorante & Bar located in the heart of beautiful downtown St. Louis in the Gateway One Building. Gio's cozy dining room offers one of downtown's most spectacular views. Our large outdoor bar & patio are perfect for game days. Bar Gio, with its contemporary decor and brick pizza oven is the ideal place to sit back and relax. Gio's is conveniently located just minutes away from most downtown venues and 2 blocks from Busch Stadium. The kitchen at Gio's is quickly becoming known for serving some of the city's finest Italian cuisine. The menu features a variety of pasta, seafood, steaks and specialty entrees, all at affordable prices. It only tastes expensive! Bar Gio offers a lighter fare of house made brick-oven pizzas, panini sandwiches and traditional pub grub. Service is polished casual and family friendly. Gio's is the perfect spot for an important business meeting, a romantic dinner or a get together with friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Gio's Ristorante and Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown St. Louis ›
Gio's Ristorante and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)scenic view (10)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good Food, Outdated AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014I had made a reservation for a large group (20 people) but the first server who came to our table seemed very annoyed that it was a large group. The second server was very nice and friendly but the other had an attitude the entire evening. There is a great view of the St. Louis Arch from the main dining room, but the room feels very outdated. I had the blackened chicken alfredo it was good, but some others in our group said their food was just "ok".Special Features:
- Delicious foodLove4foodDined on 8/15/2014Delicious food choices! Low lighting dining which brings the ambitious to light. Huge picture windows allows guests to see what's happening outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot before a Cardinal gameddeloskyDined on 8/15/2014Joined some friends for drinks in the bar, then dinner before heading to the stadium. Glad to discover this place. I'll definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Restaurant WeekMichelleDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went here during downtown restaurant week. I was a little concerned with the mixed reviews of this place but the service was excellent and the food was good. The view is awesome and if you park in the garage, the restaurant will validate your ticket.Special Features:
- St. Louis Restaurant WeekBuddVIPDined on 8/13/2014The 3 course dinner was a good Italian meal. We had a window table overlooking Kiener Plaza. Our server was very friendly. However we did have to ask for bread to eat with the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place before a Cardinals gamechesterfieldsteveDined on 8/2/2014We had a group of nine, and needed a reservation before the cardinals game. It was nice to have a varied menu so those who wanted a sandwich could, those who wanted pasta or a steak could choose that. The food was all very good. We had the best service we have had in years, with the waiter easily handling the demands of our group. And to top it off, they validated our parking so we got free parking for the game. Nice touch.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014We were in town visiting and wanted an Italian restaurant to dine at for our daughters birthday. We had a variety of meals from pizza to pasta to a gluten free variation of Chicken Parmesian they prepared specially for our daughter. Everything was wonderful! They even brought out a piece of yummy cake for the birthday girl. We will definitely be looking this place up next time we are in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gio'sReviewerDined on 7/11/2014When we went in, there was no hostess to give our reservation to. We awkwardly stood and peeked around to try to figure out if we should seat ourselves. After about 10 minutes, a cook came out and yelled to us the dining room is closed tonight (Friday night). So, we were told to seat ourselves in the bar area. There was a table of 20-something girls taking shots and screaming "wooo!" at the table behind us. The single working bartender was giving all of her attention and shouting across the bar to them. We almost left. We should have left. Finally, we get drinks, and then menus, and then silverware. Terrible service. Least authentic Italian I've ever had; I'm pretty sure my ravioli were frozen & microwaved. Would not recommend food/service.Special Features:
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014Our server, Makayla, made our first visit an exceptional experience. She was very helpful and attentive. We went for a specific entre that I thought was on the menu but wasn't. She told us it could be had (eggplant Parmesan) and the chef did a marvelous job. Food was plentiful and quite tasty. It is worth a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 149 reviews are from the Gio's Ristorante and Bar reviews archive.
- Some good wines on the listMermaidDined on 6/19/2014Very accommodating to location request and a special diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/6/2014While we have eaten at this restaurant many times in the past, it seems something has changed and not for the better. When we arrived for our reservation, we expected to be seated in the dining area as we had in the past. The waitress curtly stated that the dining area is only open for lunch and that we would have to eat in the sports bar. If you are expecting a nice relaxing evening I'd look elsewhere; for a beer before a Cardinals game, this may be for you.
- Ok Italian sports bar / dinner???FrankieVIPDined on 6/2/2014I thought I was going to a nice Italian restaurant so dressed up a bit. The dining room must not be open on weeknights, because the only thing open was the sports bar. The grilled Caesar salad was interesting but part way through it it seemed to me that the dressing may have been made from mayo rather than from scratch. Had the veal chop - they were out of lamb chops - it was huge, pretty good, but not outstanding and I was not sure the mushroom sauce was made from fresh shrooms. Garlic bread was so-so. BUT, the staff was very, very nice and accomodating and efficient. Good place for a burger and a beer, I think. Esp for Cardinals fans.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceneveragainDined on 5/31/2014Food was decent but the service was terrible. The waitress was rude and could not get the order/checks right. Normally I would disregard this but there were hardly any other customers besides our group. There was no excuse for this behavior and her bad attitude. Needless to say, I will not be back or recommend this place to anyone.
- GiosMusicgirl3286Dined on 5/3/2014I found the experience at Gios wonderful. I went there before prom with a group of 13. Everyone loved their food and the service was very good. Overall, I'd give it a high rating and would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great sport for business lunchfullnelsonlawDined on 4/23/2014My office is nearby Gio's, so I've found it to be a consistently good pick for a business lunch. The menu has a wide selection of choices, many of them good for vegetarians or health-conscious. At times, the service can be a bit slow, but the seating is comfortable and the wait staff very attentive. Hope they stay around for a good long time.Special Features:
- Great FoodAlwaysHungryDined on 4/15/2014GIOs is wonderful place for those who appreciate great food. The Grilled Caesar salad is outstanding and be sure to try the Portebella fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great and serverEatolotsDined on 4/9/2014Food was great and server was very friendly. Not sure why but we were the only 2 people eating in a fairly large bar area, I am surprised it was not very busy.Special Features:
- Decent business lunchfullnelsonlawDined on 3/20/2014As someone who works downtown, there are plenty of choices for lunch, but Gio' s presents decent, reasonably priced food in very nice setting. Unfortunately, the service can be slow and the food uneven. The reliably good minestrone was served lukewarm, but was well seasoned and hearty. The house salad was iceberg lettuce, not a favorite of mine, the tomato and goat cheese salad was excellent. I'll visit Gio again because of its convenience, but there is room for improvement.Special Features:
- Great Findintown4aniteDined on 3/8/2014We were in town for one night and Gio's was one of the resuraunts near our hotel. The grouper was the best fish I have ever eaten! The overall experience was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!LoveEatingOutDined on 2/27/2014When we first arrived, we had a drink at the bar. EVERYONE was friendly. We decided to have an order of calamari before we sat for dinner. By far, the best I've had. Cooked to perfection and served not only with regular lemon, but fried slices too. Nice touch. I started dinner with a tomato salad and my friend had a wedge salad, which was delicious. I decided on the pork chop. Outstanding! My guest had chicken parm and enjoyed every bite. Full, but after hearing about the warm gooey butter served with ice cream, we had to try it. We split the dessert and all I can say is yum! Perfect way to end the meal! We are excited to go back as we found out Gio's also has free parking for the Cardinals games. Great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable priceWineandDineDined on 2/1/2014We found Gio's while walking around downtown. Food was very good. Very large portions, especially the encrusted group. We had a nice Italian wine. Desserts sounded fabulous but we had to pass.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013The restaurant had great service. The menu was not as specialized as I would have liked, but the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's FavoriteKris1KringleDined on 12/27/2013Two of us had a Chef's Favorite. It wasn't our favorite.
- Superb experience every time!MBNDDined on 12/10/2013I have dined at Gio's a few times, at various mealtimes, and the food and service has been nothing less than superb ever time! The staff treated our group like familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch what you eat!JJAdamsDined on 11/22/2013We had a party of seven on a Friday evening. Our server was very attentive and friendly, however the food was not very good. Also, I found a piece of plastic with part of a label in my food. There are so many great restaurants in St. Louis, and I definitely won't waste my time visiting this establishment again.
- Excellent business lunchfullnelsonlawDined on 11/20/2013This is my newest go-to location for a reliably good business lunch. I enjoy the private booths, the enthusiastic (but sometimes slow) service, and the good selection of vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied menu, friendly staff,AlwaysHungryDined on 11/18/2013Varied menu, friendly staff, had a nice chat with the chefSpecial Features:
- Good for groupspeggyDined on 11/8/2013We went on a night when the Cardinals were not in town and had a quiet, relaxing meal. Our server was very attentive, the food was inexpensive and was served quickly. Parking is not a problem because they validate parking in the Gateway One garage. There was 5 of us and the server had no problem giving each of us separate checks. I would come back some time for dinner after an afternoon Cardinal game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cardinal BaseballColKDined on 10/28/2013Gio's is an outstanding way to get a Cardinal Baseball evening started and following up with a night cap after the game. Great food and service is what can be expected. Probably frequent Gio's 30 or more time a season--never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports bar downtownLJSDVIPDined on 10/18/2013When I booked this, I did not expect a sports bar so I was a bit disappointed as I had a large group and was hoping for a nicer place. It's fine for a sports bar but this is a sports bar. We were in a separate room which helped, but the prior reviews and the write up were not clear what kind of spot this was. I had the fish (can't remember which type) and it was actually delicious which surprised me, but it only came with polenta fries which were not very good (very very oily) and no vegetables. A dinner ought to come with a side of veggies - I had to order broccoli on the side. Not my kind of place but if you want a sports bar, it is fine.
- Great Little place!CardsfanfromoutoftownDined on 9/28/2013we went after the game on Saturday! Great Service! Good food. I am currently on a weight loss program and found something that fit within my range! (Ahi Tuna Salad) Definitely would go back.Special Features:
- We made dinner reservationsRunningManDined on 9/13/2013We made dinner reservations at 6 pm but the main dining room was closed. It was strange, no one was at the door to greet us so we had to find someone to find out if we could eat dinner there. They had a small area to the side of the large sports bar with dinner tables set up. Not exactly what I expected based on the pictures. We had dinner there anyways to avoid having to find another place. The appetizers were good and the Cajun Fettuccine Chicken was also tasty. Unfortunately the service was slow and cook times long (30 minutes). I was happy to leave after having to wait so long.Special Features:
- We visited on a Friday nightThatMomDined on 9/6/2013We visited on a Friday night before the baseball game. Our server was very knowledgable about all the menu items and special requests were no problem. The menu is Italian with pizza, pasta, sandwiches and salads. We did not have appetizers but the selections looked very good. Gio's stays open for an hour after the game so we went back for a round of drinks and a pizza. They were not busy and ready to close up but remained open for us and were extremely friendly, not at all bothered by staying open. We will definitely be returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best calamari ever!!!SusanDined on 8/31/2013Very freindly staff. Love the mayfair dressing on the house salad. Generous entrees and definatly don't miss the calamari. Lightly breaded,very crispy and delicously tender. Free parking before ball games so great place to start off an evening in the city.Special Features:
- Very nice for business lunchfullnelsonlawDined on 8/30/2013Gio' s has a diverse menu of Italian fare, competently performed and presented in a comfortable setting. Suitable for business lunches. Wait staff is efficient, though a bit obtrusive. Enjoyable and reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the MallSomersetDined on 8/23/2013Gio's is highly visible on the Mall--easy to find. Its bar is separate and can handle a rowdy baseball crowd without affecting diners. Service was very attentive. Outdoor dining could be very nice in nice weather, although it may be a little removed from the kitchen. The food was very good, although the main course portion, perhaps scaled for Downtown Restaurant Week prices, was on the petite side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dining room and active barHillaryDined on 8/22/2013This almost seems like 2 separate restaurants, with a quiet back area where we went in addition to a good-time bar that was packed with Cardinal's fans. On that note, we had a hard time parking because of the game, but it turns out they validate for the parking lot in their building. It was restaurant week, where we got a great bargain for wonderful food. We were among the only people in the main dining room. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerCLF1Dined on 8/21/2013We went for Down Town Restaurants Week. Every year we try a different place to eat. This year was by far the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience.FormerNYerDined on 8/21/2013Good food. Be sure to tell the chef to go easy on the salt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night at Gio'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2013We visited Gio's for downtown restaurant week on a Tuesday night. They had one of the best looking menus for restaurant week that I saw. The food was very good. Where I was less impressed was with service and ambience. The dining room could use some sprucing up. Things just looked a little tired. The servers were very friendly and polite, but the service was particularly slow that night. Luckily we were not in any hurry. Overall a good night.