2240 Polk Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gioiapizzeria.com/
- Phone: (415) 359-0971
- Hours of Operation:
Fri 11:30am - 11pm
Sa-Su 11:00am-3:00pm, for Brunch
5:30pm-11:00pm on Sat,
5:30pm - 10pm on Sun.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gioia Pizzeria
A neighborhood Italian restaurant in Russian Hill focusing on seasonal, organic ingredients and serving New York style pizza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gioia Pizzeria reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (26)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (13)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (5)romantic (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Polk EatsExploringSFDined on 11/13/2014Great restaurant on Polk ST. Our favorites were the Burratta and Squash fritters and ZUCCA RICO pizza. Definitely make a reservation on open table. The restaurant was packed !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat with the localsNZkiwidinersDined on 11/1/2014We came here due to good reviews & wanting to get out of the Central tourist area. Easy to take a cable car & walk a block or two, admiring the architecture. The Restaurant was great - funky decor; delicious pizza & meatballs; great service. I had a vegetarian pizza with pumpkin & ricotta, my husband had pepperoni. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gioia is a gemJillyMKVIPDined on 10/31/2014Gioia is truly a gem in Russian Hill. Consistently great food that changes seasonally, attentive and helpful service, and a fun atmosphere. Pizzas are huge and a great value for the quality of the ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud nothing notable abt this pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014has popular simple rustic decor. Waited for food 25 minutes after ordering. Ordered regular margarita and added prosciutto. crust was crunchy but pizza was very greasy. Noise level is defening.Special Features:
- love itPatrickWilliamVIPDined on 10/7/2014This place is perfect for dropping in any night of the week or for special occasions with larger groups. Love the Meatballs. And the Pizza. Cool, comfortable and delicious.Special Features:
- Really Poor ServiceLindsay2014VIPDined on 9/20/2014Despite having a reservation, the restaurant was late in seating us. By the time we actually got to the table was 30 min after the reservation time. The manager was then rude to us, trying to justify to us that she knows how to run a restaurant. The whole restaurant seemed chaotic, and although we ordered our food while waiting for the table, the food didn't get delivered until 45 min after seating. While the food is good, the restaurant needs to figure our how to better manage itself.
- Another great meal at GioiaDDinesDined on 9/20/2014Just a great evening. The food was wonderful, service warm, friendly and personal, and the atmosphere vibrant without being too noisy. This place is reliably a lovely evening out. My brother visiting from Australia says the best pizza he has ever eaten. The salmon dish was simple and showcased the lovely produce. We will be back!Special Features:
- Awesome.Junebug1Dined on 9/5/2014Very cool restaurant with really good food and atmosphere. Loved the pizza with squash and the fig salad.Special Features:
- Solid.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/3/2014Really nice pizza . . . light and airy crust, quality and right quantity on the toppings.Special Features:
- Service is terribleSfdinerDined on 8/15/2014Food and service are so misaligned. If the food wasn't so good and so close to my house I wouldn't go back for the service. The wait staff can't even fake a smile. And the space is so tight the staff are reaching across your face and trunk to remove plates. I might stick to take out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's our neighbor hood go-toPatrickWilliamVIPDined on 8/15/2014Not only our neighborhood go to, but a great place to take out-of-town friends. Cool, easy, convenient, beautiful and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014good food and drink, but I miss the brussel sprouts and the pizza is mediocre.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Gioia Pizzeria reviews archive.
- Super slow service, average pizzaPizza4usDined on 7/26/2014Made reservation for 8:45 and waited for about 30 minutes in a really crowded place. We finally sat and ordered 2 pizzas who took another 40 minutes. Pizza dough wasn't bad but the overall pizza experience wasn't up to the other reviews. Maybe on a less crowded day things are different.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem & Fun AtmosphereMelbellDined on 7/25/2014Gioia Pizzeria is a great, relaxing, casual dining spot for a date night or dinner with girlfriends. Menu changes frequently, and it is consistently full of delicious items! Dined with a vegetarian, and loved all of the plates and pizza we ordered. Great wine & beer list. Service can be hit or miss depending on how crowded the restaurant is, so order wisely or you may not get the chance to speak up before it's too late.Special Features:
- DeliciousndandreaDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful service and delicious food! Loved the summer melon and green goodness salads!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early LunchBryanDined on 7/18/2014Gioia worked perfectly for lunch with an old friend. We split a pizza and a pasta - both were terrific. The view of a bustling Polk Street was entertaining. Service was good and I would definitely return.Special Features:
- great pizzamach2VIPDined on 7/15/2014We had a delicious pizza. The staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Pizza!janers310Dined on 7/5/2014The pizza is delicious and one of my favorite that I've found in the city. The staff is welcoming and the restaurant has a nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodomnivoreDined on 6/29/2014Usually, I go to this place because I love the thin crust pizza. This time our entire table actually ate something other than pizza and it blew me away. We had the pork chop, octopus, meatballs and pasta and every single dish was fantastic and dynamic. I am really impressed by the way gioia changes their menu seasonally, even the pizza is seasonal. In short, Gioia is so much more than a pizza place.Special Features:
- lisaVIPDined on 6/24/2014FOOD WAS FANTASTIC AND THEY WERE GREAT WITH OUR DAUGHTER WHO IS 15 MONTH OLD. GREAT PLACE TO GO WITH THE FAMILYSpecial Features:
- PASTA...PizzapgggDined on 6/22/2014This is our go-to neighborhood establishment. The pizza never disappoints (clever options with a collection of standards that meet the veggie or the meat-a-vore), salads are delicious (and change with the season) and the pasta, ALWAYS get the house made option. The pasta is perfectly prepared, just the right al dente with the most delicious and flavorful sauces (that never overwhelm the goodness of the pasta). The staff are friendly, knowledgable and give the right amount of attention for a friendly outing with friends or a quiet dinner for a couple. We really enjoy this place and each time we go, hoping to leave with pizza leftovers, it never happens.Special Features:
- Great group dinner placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014We went with 5 other friends and had a great experience. The food was great and easy to share so we could all try a variety of things. Our waiter was great. This was our second time dining here; our first trip was for brunch and it was also good on all fronts - food, service and ambience.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceJMinSFVIPDined on 6/21/2014This was my 4th or 5th visit to Gioia. Apart from the fact that the food is a bit salty, it is, while not really exceptional, quite tasty. I'll be back again.Special Features:
- What happened?YCookDined on 6/4/2014Food was great. When it finally arrived. The tables to our left and right turned twice in the time we were there. Clearly, our server just flat-out forgot to get our order into the queue. (To his credit, he handled it graciously and comp'd us appropriately.) One pizza, two salads, three hours. Fortunately, I was with a best friend and not a bad date.Special Features:
- Food amazing, service not so much!DDinesDined on 6/1/2014I could bore you with all the detail, however...in a nutshell they (not sure if it was the kitchen or server) completely stuffed up our order. Food arrived at wrong times, orders were forgotten and they had 3 goes to get my order right (!). However (and its a big HOWEVER) once the food did arrive it was really delicious on all counts. The pasta, pizza and salads were all top notch, some of the best (or close to the best) I have had this year. Beautiful produce served just as it should be-simply. How could a carrot salad be so lovely? They did try to make amends by removing some charges from our bill and bringing a free desert which was very thoughtful. I do think we will go back, hopefully an all round great experience next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatVIPDined on 5/16/2014Excellent food and service. We highly recommend hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knocking it out of the parkFoodieBluesDined on 4/13/2014Rarely do we have a dining experience where every bite of every dish that crosses our lips excites the palate. Gioia claims this prize. We love this place for the food and the vibe, hip without pretense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent salad and pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/13/2014Excellent salad and pizza and just an overall great time with friends sharing food!Special Features:
- GoodAmphroDined on 3/28/2014Great spot. There marinira is amazing. He nois level was really high.Special Features:
- Great food and great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2014My fiancé and I had walked by Gioia a number of times and heard several recommendations. We finally made it there on a Wednesday night around 7pm. If you plan to go much later than that I'd definitely make a reservation. There was a line out the door by 7:30. Had the Pizza Julian which was probably one of the best white pizzas I've ever had. Normally white pizzas leave me longing for sauce, but this one did not. The burrata appetizer was high quality burrata and perfectly cured prosciutto. The wine list was pretty extensive. I even recognized several wines I had while in Italy a couple summers ago. Overall great experience and lovely atmosphere. Reminded me of my favorite pizzeria in Rome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2014Their pasta dishes are truly excellent, even better then their pizza. Their is Wine over-priced. Overall, a highly recommended neighborhood spot. Nice interiors, but can get noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gioia is so goodNageVIPDined on 3/15/2014We love coming here, from the second you walk in the door you feel welcomed...the food is delicious and the service is excellent..we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, long waitdutchVIPDined on 3/8/2014We live in Berkeley and love Gioia's take-out pizzas, so decided to meet friends from the peninsula in SF at the restaurant there. Four of us all enjoyed what we ordered, but it took a very long time, 20 plus minutes for main course to arrive after our starters were cleared. away, and conversation was very difficult due to the din! Servers were friendly, pastas were done well, but one of our party wanted to add something to a pizza on the menu(and pay for it as an addition), and even though the ingredient was used on another kind of pizza there, he was told that the kitchen wouldn't put it on his pizza, that they don't like to change anything. This seemed arbitrary, since there are add-ons available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy eatingMarvinDined on 3/2/2014Great spot for an informal but unique dining experience. Food was different but very well presented and had great flavor. Would definitely go back as the menu was varied and offered choices for all tastes and restrictions.Special Features:
- Music playing was very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/26/2014Music playing was very loud and grating, so much I was getting a headache while waiting for my friend. I asked for it to be lowered, but was ignored. Only 3 tables had customers, and I was seated next next to the other filled table. They asked for minor meal change and were turned down by the waiter. I could told the waiter I could not tolerate the music and had to leave. He said ok and I left without eating Note I did not eat here this, but had to place a star next to food to submit my comments
- Awesome pizzapolarbearVIPDined on 2/23/2014Great pizza! Ask about specials - few months ago they had figs and blue cheese - awesome! Pretty good beer selection on tap. Make reservations - they fill up quickly!I would recommend this to a friend.
- a fantastic addition @ russian hillLoriSFVIPDined on 1/31/2014i have been to this one several times and will still return. think it started 2-3 years ago. my memory is faulty nowadays. it just amazes me the casual food they serve is absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Terrible servicegretelsmamaVIPDined on 1/26/2014The hostess was sweet but when we walked in at 11am ( first ones in the restaurant) And with a reservation she was literally scratching her head as to where to seat us. That was just funny! But anyway we were the first ones and when our food finally arrived Bit by bit my husband still didn't have his dish and now most of the restaurant was Full with tables filled with food. Our waiter didn't even apologize - not a bit for obviously The ticket got lost. Anyway the place is cute and food tasty ( when or if you get it that is).Special Features:
- Never disappointsNageVIPDined on 1/25/2014We love everything about Gioia, the food, service and the atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gioia SFBrianDined on 1/22/2014One of our most favorite walk-up spots in Berkeley so when we heard about the SF location, we wondered how he could keep the direct and delicious flavor in a sit-down restaurant setting. He has. II thought it would be "fancier". Gioia retains the rustic nature of his wonderful flavors in the sit down style. Our potato-pancetta pizza was fantastic as was the caesar salad using chicory and fried anchovies!! Fabulous. Great fries too--our appetizer course!! BTW: Wednesday is burger night and this burger with chuck, brisket and short rib was so good that when the server described it, i asked if it could just be put on a cheese pizza. Alas, no, but we got it anyway and just split it up. Great group of people, great place. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.