1312 S Wabash
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.giocorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3129393870
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Danny Sweis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Gioco offers rustic Italian fare in a chic Urban setting.
- Private Party Contact: CeCe & Sara 3122268878
- Special Events: Wedding rehearsal, Meeting,
A word from Gioco
Gioco pioneered the retail development of the South Loop when it opened in September of 1999. The restaurant has been a mainstay in the neighborhood as other restaurants and stores have opened up over the years. Gioco is located in an historic building built in 1890 and is one of the few remaining buildings in Chicago from that era. The Gioco space features the original old brick and plaster walls, an old wooden walk-in cooler and a walk-in safe built into the wall, used by the Chicago gangsters (Al Capone, Frank Nitti, George "Bugs" Moran and Earl "Hymie" Weiss ) for one of the gambling and/or brothel houses that dominated the area in the early 1900s. Designer Jerry Kleiner designed Gioco restaurant to retain these old world elements and to feature them in his modernization of the space. Cuisine: Gioco's menu offers rustic Italian dishes prepared with the finest available seasonal products. The menu features homemade pastas and wood-fired thin crust pizzas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gioco reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (28)romantic (22)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)notable wine list (6)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Chef is creative, meticulous, and hands on. Great menu, my new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memories of ItalyDaveDined on 9/12/2014Delicious food and attentive service. Reminded me of our trip to Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood Italian FoodJoelDined on 8/30/2014The ravioli, seafood linguini and thin crust piazza were all excellent. My only complaint is that the portion size of the ravioli was way to small for a main course dish. The hot lava cake for desert was fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place, unique dishes always great serviceSpecial Features:
- Classic Italian GemJAMTVIPDined on 8/23/2014Traditional Italian restaurant with very high quality food and service. Chicago South Loop neighborhood vibe. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- A nice eveningJanPVIPDined on 8/18/2014I held a book club meeting here with a large group. Our waiter was very attentive but not obtrusive in any way. The specials were well described, but it's a pet peeve of mine when the price of specials is not mentioned. My pasta special was delicious, but the serving of pasta was quite small and there was so little salmon in my 'pasta with salmon' that I would describe it as a condiment rather than ingredient. The Caesar salad was pretty pedestrian. All in all we had a nice evening with tasty food, but at this price point, especially with pasta, I expect a little more food on my plate.Special Features:
- ExcellentmarcDined on 8/15/2014Real home made Cook from Italy in a warm ambiance for a reasonnable price. What can you can more? A very good adress in south LoopSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!tsacsoDined on 8/13/2014This may have been the best restaurant experience my family and I have ever had. The staff was friendly, attentive, and accommodating to my children (ages 10 and 13). We shared a variety of pastas and their bone in fillet and everything was amazing. Highly recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- another nice lunch at GiocojimmVIPDined on 8/1/2014Always have a good lunch here. Asked for Chef's recommendations and had crab cake and octopus for appetizers, orrechiette for main. An Italian red (first one on the list) was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great EveningfoodieprofDined on 7/28/2014The evening was great and my party and I were treated like royalty. I had indicated in my reservation that two of the members were celebrating their college graduation, so I had asked if we might have the occasion treated as something special. The folks at Gioco went above and beyond the call of duty. We were greeted by the chef owner, who made sure the entire evening was fit for royalty. Special attention was provided to one member because she is gluten free, which they handled with such ease (not always true for other establishments). All of our dishes were delicious--from the steak to the fusilli. And don't forget about dessert: the warm chocolate cake is heaven.Special Features:
- Like Being in ItalyLenoxDined on 7/27/2014Gioco resembles restaurants in Tuscany and smaller towns in Italy. Its warm, friendly, the food is exceptional, the staff are outstanding. The owner walks around checking on patrons and stops to chat. Great wine list. Its a perfect neighborhood authentic Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOnislandtimeDined on 7/24/2014Hostess sat us on time. Waiter seemed to have an attitude from the beginning. We tried to order caprese salad and he kept trying to talk us into the special smoked caprese salad. I told him we didn't like smoked cheese and he kept going on and on about it. We asked for sparkling water which we did get promptly. After drinking two sips of it, the waiter came back and refilled our glasses with still water. The food came in small portions. The Chilean Seabass was incredible. The pasta dish was almost tasteless and had 3 pieces of calamari. Waiter was in attentive despite know we were attending a concert at soldier field. Would not go back.
- Best Italian I have ever hadscjansenDined on 7/19/2014The four people in my party ordered four different salads, entrees, and desserts. We all sampled everyone else's food and all agreed this was the best Italian food we had ever had. The pasta was stellar, and I ordered the tuna which was served on arugula and the flavor combination was incredible. The head chef is present in the dining room expediting the orders which made the service move quickly. I would go back to Gioco every week if I lived in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureCarolsulliVIPDined on 7/17/2014Gioco has been my neighborhood friend for many years now. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The service is attentive but not overbearing. I enjoy everything on the menu, but the real delights are the daily specials. There is a price point for every diner. When my out of town relatives come into town, Gioco is our first dining stop, and they are welcomed like old friends. Keep up the fine work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Business LunchLynnSDined on 7/15/2014Ideal spot for a business lunch. The service was impeccable and the food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian in the South Loopbs093070VIPDined on 7/12/2014Been going to the South Loop for a while, this was my first trip to Gioco. The food was terrific. The staff was very accommodating in allowing me and my guest to share plates. Started out with the Caesar Salad, also ordered the Veal Chop which was presented beautifully. Desserts and wine list impressive. Really enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Will come againMurph353VIPDined on 7/5/2014For appetizers we had the prosciutto and melon-excellent and the meatballs-good. Our main courses were fantastic. My wife is of Italian heritage and grew up with a born in Italy mom who knew how to cook. My wife said her fettuccini Bolognese was excellent. My younger son whole heartily agreed. My adult son, who can be very particular, said his ravioli was the best he ever had. I had the pork chop, which was very good. The potatoes that came with them were okay. Our deserts were wonderful. I had the crème Brule-the best I ever had. My wife and sons had the tiramisu-they all agreed it was the best they ever had.Special Features:
- We'll be back!MmmollyDined on 6/28/2014Found this restaurant just south of center city. Food is very good with a nice wine list or wine by the glass. I plan return next time I visit Chicago and would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in the south loopPickyLDined on 6/23/2014The convention center is no longer on a wasteland-- this is a lovely neighborhood restaurant with nice foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningLolaDined on 6/23/2014The service is top-notch and the food was delicious. We had a wonderful evening there and really enjoyed the wine, food and atmosphere. Never felt rushed and our server was very good.Special Features:
- Awesome -- as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014You can always count on Gioco for a wonderful dinner and dining experience! We missed seeing the Chef, though :( Until next time!Special Features:
- Screaming child from start to endOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014Shame on us for staying but the food IS very good. I don't know if the restaurant was indifferent to the fact that one or more young children's screams could be heard throughout the meal, but we made it clear to our server that was why we were going elsewhere for dessert.
- ChiefDined on 6/6/2014Jose our server was fantastic and made the experience wonderful. Food was equally as good. Best crab cake in Chicago! Veal chop special was pricey but awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and HistoricciboevitaDined on 6/2/2014This building used to house Al Capone's nefarious exploits as the back room of the restaurant was the speak easy while ladies of the evening hosted in upstairs apartments. The decor of the restaurant itself is very charming and romantic and most importantly, the food was terrific and the service was exceptional--the ingredients one would expect from a big city gourmet Italian eatery.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Food was excellent, service a little slow. large party in the adjacent room made it nosier than it should have been. Pricy but I would go back. Ger4food.Special Features:
- not the samejk22VIPDined on 5/31/2014Food quality is still above average although portions seem smaller. Our entire meal was a rush act with drinks, appetizer and entrée dinner over in 45 minutes. Even when requested to slow down, it made no difference.
- Great south loop ItalianDDmkDined on 5/28/2014I would highly recommend Gioco. The food was great, wonderful burrata special starter and portobella too. The chef came to the table to help us choose the appropriate Italian wine with our meal. Our waiter provided great service. If this restaurant was in River North it would be packed every night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2014one of our neighborhood favorites - good reason to live in the South Loop!Special Features:
- The following 992 reviews are from the Gioco reviews archive.
- lucky findnakanoodleDined on 5/21/2014I was looking for something close to McCormick for a business dinner, so that was my main search criteria. When I saw the listing and website, the menu looked great and the restaurant unpretentious, so I booked it. This restaurant is my new Italian favorite hands down. The owner spent time making sure all was well at our table and made several great recommendations. Food, wine, service everything fantastic. Can't wait to return with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2014Everything was outstanding! The meal, the service, the owner, the dessert, the location. We love Gioco and will keep going back whenever our travels take us to Chicago. Order the pizza as dessert! We did! Had to have it!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/11/2014Good food and wine. Always pleasant and professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!CapersVIPDined on 5/10/2014This is such a great restaurant and wonderful food! The owner selected a terrific group of appetizers for our table, then stopped by a few times to see how we were enjoying our dinner. He's a delight too.Special Features:
- Chicago Neighborhood GemDiningLADVIPDined on 5/8/2014Comfort food and an always welcoming atmosphere--what more can one ask for? This delightful spot has a newly reworked menu which offers traditional favorites coupled with seasonal newbies. A great place to share a bottle of wine, mussels and the daily grilled fish. The pasta and risotto are always a sure bet...as are the scallops.Special Features:
- Some hits and some missesSidFarkusDined on 5/8/2014I would give this place a B- grade in terms in restaurants. The appetizer was bland (prosciutto and melon), the bread warm and good. My entree was branzino in a puttanesca sauce. Fish cooked perfectly, though skin could have been crispier. The sauce was tasty but the garlic in it was way undercooked. My wife had veal scallopine. It was a smallish portion which tasted fine, but the mashed potatoes tasted like boxed. Plus, who serves mashed potatoes with scallopine? Desserts were good (Tiramisu and a warm chocolate cake).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HawkeyeDined on 5/1/2014Absolutely loved it! My new favorite! Gorgeous building and amazing food. The ambience is warm and homey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/30/2014I was looking for a cute spot to take someone for a birthday dinner and Gioco was recommended to us. The chef did come out to speak to us at our table and I was reminded of what some other reveiwers said about how the wait staff and chef recommend their more expensive dishes. As it was, we each had one glass of wine and two pasta dishes and the bill was close to $100.00. To be candid, it was a not a good value. The waiter was very attentive. We were not in a hurry and so we took some time to order. Once we did order, our dish was brought out to us within 5 minutes. I guess that they wanted to speed us along.Special Features:
- Amazing pasta!CarolVIPDined on 4/21/2014Get the tortelloni in truffle fondue sauce! It melts in your mouth!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!DartyDined on 4/19/2014We went to Gioco with our friends & ordered a mozzarella appetizer to share. It was delicious! I ordered a vodka tonic which was great! My husband ordered the stuffed veal chop, he loved it. I had the delectable veal piccata... It was the best I've ever tasted! The meat was tender and served with a light lemony sauce with capers on top of mashed potatoes. My only thought was I wish I had a more potatoes... They were very good. My friend ordered the special a creamy fettuccine with clams and she loved it! Her husband enjoyed his meal, a Veal Marsala which he loved. We all commented on how delicious our food was and how Gioco was one so our favorite South Loop restaurants! All our food was presented beautifully and hot.Special Features:
- Always a hit!KatieDined on 4/19/2014This place is great. Outstanding food/wine and service. The waitstaff are all very friendly and will do whatever it takes to make customers comfortable and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good atmosphereFrenchCaffeineDined on 4/16/2014This is a neighborhood gem that has tasty italian food. The experience starts at the door with heavenly smells coming from the open kitchen and pizza oven. The specials were very good albeit a bit pricey for the quantity. The staff is very friendly and adds charm to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.