Ginko Japanese Restaurant
655 Dixon Rd.
Toronto, ON M5H 3M7Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Ginko Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ginkojapaneserestaurant.ca/
- Phone: (416) 248-8445
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Shigeo Kimura
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Traditional Tatami Rooms provide private seating for special or intimate occasions with relaxing, personalized service for 6 - 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Mr. Shigeo Kimura or Mr. Shuji Sawawaki (Manager) 4162488445
A word from Ginko Japanese Restaurant
Owner Shigeo Kimura founded Ginko Japanese restaurant in 1982. Over the past 25 years Ginko has evolved to bring the finest Japan has to offer the Toronto area. The name Ginko is derived from the word "Gingko" an ancient oriental tree. The tree flourishes in season to produce a yellow fruit and unique, fan-shaped leaves, which turn a beautiful golden color in the fall. Held in high esteem by the Japanese as a symbol of prosperity, the "Gingko" tree only begins to grow it"s golden seeds on it's 20th year of maturity. The journey of the "Gingko" tree and Ginko are one in the same, a continual evolution of expression of nutritious, healthy and tasty food. Located inside DoubleTree Hotel near the airport, our staff strives to bring you, our guest, a traditional and modern Japanese cuisine that is sure to enlighten all taste buds.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ginko Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Authentic!Live2eatDined on 10/19/2014Great Sushi & atmosphere! Made Rez for 3 ppl on OT & when we showed up they had no idea but were able to accomodate us right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent SushiZardozVIPDined on 9/22/2014Decent sushi but way too expensive for the quality of the food and the ambiance
- The following 31 reviews are from the Ginko Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great neighbourhood findNipponfanDined on 6/28/2014This is an authentic Japanese restaurant that offers dishes that are fresh, artistically presented, and taste delicious. Particularly impressed by the home made soy sauce and the sushi and sashimi combinations. Flavours are not cluttered by odd pairings and ingredients you might find at other restaurants. Would come again for the same, but also for teppanyaki, which looks like a lot of fun!Special Features:
- Great, authentic Japanese foodmbmadridDined on 6/27/2014We went because it is close to the airport but the food really was excellent. Service was also very good. Would definitely go again and recommend to travellers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 Years of Excellent Servicediner4lifeDined on 5/11/2014Although, I haven't eaten here for 30 years. The food reflects the great quality and care in preparation and the overall taste of each dish. I started with the yakitori--scrumptious-- followed by the entreé, the tempura dinner, which was crispy and colourful--loved the purple yam. It tasted so good you didn't need the accompanying dip. The mousse was a light touch for dessert, especially the cream cheese flavour. I loved that the Owner, Mr. Kimura, walked around the dining room and talked with his patrons. Ginko is well worth a visit for any occasion and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Okay for lunchcmkingDined on 4/9/2014Fast and courteous service, didn't go the extra mile to create friendly warm atmosphere. The ambiance was good. Restaurant wasn't very crowded; middle of the week. Food was okay; not outstanding. Was looking for a different dining experience to enjoy a birthday girlfriend lunch...this was just average.Special Features:
- Very nice Japanese restoBarColDined on 3/27/2014Ginko was a very nice Japanese restaurant, divdiing it's emphasis between sushi/sashimi and a teppanaki table. That said, the service was attentive the fish was fresh and the atmosphere was relaxing. We would recommend this to our friends and would try it again oursleves when we find ourselves craving sushi on the airport stripI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good nighthkboyDined on 3/15/2014The food was not as good as the previous visit but it was still good. The salmon teriyaki was moist but the tempura was a little oily. Staff was friend and even offered to take a picture of our group. Great little experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticBradDined on 3/3/2014I took three business associates to Ginko's because they offered Shabu Shabu. It was very fresh and delicious, but we also tried their Sushi and Sashimi and they are not just bragging when they say they have the best in Toronto, it was superb! We had a booth that added a sense of privacy to our dinning and the service was always prompt and polite. Two of my guests said they will come back with bring their spouses, it was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here for my husband'sSimon4Dined on 12/1/2013We went here for my husband's birthday and because it was a Sunday evening we happened to be the only ones in the whole restaurant !! This would have normally been a red herring however it was awesome as the service was still stellar. The waitress and the teppanyaki chef added to the authentic experience !! My children were absolutely excited and thrilled by the experience and they even surprised my husband with a slice of cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super. There are various kindYorkDined on 11/13/2013Super. There are various kind of Japanese cuisine in the menu and each quality is the first class. Hospitality is very nice and friendly. Even though the location near from airport is not convenient in general, this restaurant is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ginko is a wonderful restaurantTmagDined on 8/16/2013The Ginko is a wonderful restaurant located in the Double Tree Hilton by the airport on Dixon. Their Teppanyaki is fabulous. I certainly believe the quality of food and service is outstanding and I highly recommend coming here over any other Japanese restaurant in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue fin fanMccloud122VIPDined on 6/11/2013The quality of sushi is very good. Wish service was more attentive, but quantity of food was good for serving size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ginko Restaurant is aTmagDined on 5/7/2013The Ginko Restaurant is a fabulous Japanese restaurant. The food is absolutely outstanding in flavour and presentation. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for good authentic Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We brought our friend hereLuv2eatoutDined on 3/25/2013We brought our friend here for his 50th birthday and the staff treated us very well. The sushi was outstanding and the dessert at the end was perfect.Special Features:
- The sashimi was top notch;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013The sashimi was top notch; very fresh. I work for a Japanese company and Ginko is certainly one of the best Japanese restaurants in Canada.Special Features:
- Probably won't go backSheilaDined on 11/16/2012I was seated next to a man talking loudly on his cell phone. After 5 minutes, I asked to be reseated and they weren't very happy about it. I waited for 30 minutes for my client to join me, and they didn't once ask if I wanted anything while I waited. Very annoying, couldn't catch anyone's eye to order an appetizer. No help with the menu. Had to ask for the bill. Food was good, service lousy.
- I found that it was not worthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012I found that it was not worth the price.. Very small portions. The cook was not very friendly.We all order #C at the open table $55.00 not worth it at all. Will not go back to this place will stick to Benihana much better.Special Features:
- The resturant had few staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The resturant had few staff and was slow on delivery. Shusi was good when arrived. Cost is high.
- The food and sevice was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2012The food and sevice was very good. Ginko is one of the better Japanese resturant in the GTA and the cost of the mal was resonable.Special Features:
- Excellent airport Japanese diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2012Traveling in Canada, we stayed near the airport and came to this restaurant based on the reviews at Open Table. They were pretty accurate. Very good sushi, service and ambience. Pricing is slightly higher than other Japanese restaurants, but the quality was also higher. Located inside a chain hotel, which is unusual for a fine Japanese restaurant - but again, it was a very good meal and experience. Very good sake offerings.Special Features:
- A mediocre meal in a RadissonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/20/2012A mediocre meal in a Radisson Hotel near the Toronto Airport. If you are craving Japanese and are stuck near the airport, this place is fine, but nothing to write home about!
- Great sushi near the airport.JuanValdezVIPDined on 3/26/2012Great sushi near the airport. A favourite in that area.Special Features:
- The tempura was a bit soggymattfromoakvilleDined on 3/2/2012The tempura was a bit soggy and the agedashi tofu was below average. However, the nigiri and sashimi were excellent, and the maki were perfectly balanced and executed. Our advice is to stick with the sushi and sashimi, and avoid the kitchen -- the sushi bar is where Ginko really shines.Special Features:
- I had an important clientOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2012I had an important client with me who I had made reservations for and wanted to seat at the Japanese grill. I had mistakely made reservations for the restaurant, not the grill. The restuarant was very busy but they still accomodated us. I appreciated this. The food was good as expected. I will be back and will recommend the restaurant because of their positive action.
- First time visit was a positiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2011First time visit was a positive experience. Requested seating preference was honoured and comfortable. Service was pleasant, specific helpful suggestions on the menu, and timely. Food was excellent, delightful presentation and tasty. Plan to return to sample more of the menu.Special Features:
- One of the best places forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2011One of the best places for sushi ...and this from one who lived in both Japan and Vancouver!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Great atmosphere with great Japanese food. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Value was quite poor. We spentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Value was quite poor. We spent $72 dollars and we left hungry! The $26 dollar Bento Box was not worth it at all. And the specialty roll ($12 +) also was not worth the price. This is the most we've ever spent at a sushi restaurant and the only one we've ever left feeling hungry :(Special Features:
- The smell from the teppanyakimattfromoakvilleDined on 10/23/2010The smell from the teppanyaki tables might be hard to resist, but you can't go wrong with the raw fish here. It's not as cheap as an all-you-can-eat place, and for good reason. We had excellent sushi and sashimi, served with knowledge and care. Ask the chef for recommendations -- you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- The Teppan Dinner was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2010The Teppan Dinner was delicious. The chef was nice and funny. The food is overly priced for the small show that you get while the chef is cooking. Will go again and try their sushi bar.
- When I have visitors fromOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2010When I have visitors from Japan, I bring them to your restaurant, and they are typically very happy and pleased with the service and food. I live in Etobicoke for the last 45 years and find it convcenient to have a parking ticked validated by your restaurant, in comparison with having to find parking space in downtown restaurants.Special Features:
- My wife and I wanted to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2010My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 18th anniversary with a special dinner and were very pleased with Ginko Japanese Restaurant. We sat at the Teppan-Yaki table with another couple and a family of four. The chef prepared our meals in a very entertaining way. Although the portions were not large, the food was delicious. The prices were fair for the quantity and quality..$6-$14 for a sushi roll and $25-$35 per entre for the Teppan-Yaki. The atmosphere was outstanding! Beautiful garden with Koi pond, nicely decorated walls and displays, soft oriental music in the background, and servers dressed in Kimonos and sandals made for an authentic experience. There are also Tatami Rooms for you who wish privacy. We'll be back.Special Features: