Gina La Fornarina - West Side
279 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gina La Fornarina - West Side
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gina-lafornarina.com/
- Phone: 2128746556
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Gina La Fornarina - West Side
Gina la Fornarina is an authentic Italian restaurant featuring specialty pizza and a thin and crispy focaccias filled with delicious ingredients mostly imported from Italy, and when it is possible, organic. Pasta from all regions of Italy and delicious salads are a big part of our menu, but do not forget our daily specials, where we feature delicious fish and seasonal ingredients in our recipes We have a liquor bar and great wines; make sure you try our antipasto platter with a bottle of wine or a carafe of our famous Sangria di Capri made with crispy pinot grigio and fresh fruit. We are always looking for the best quality & value so that we can offer our customers great products at the best price in a very welcoming ambiance.Continued
We would love to help you celebrate your next event: at Gina we offer great party at a very smart rate.
We would love to help you celebrate your next event: at Gina we offer great party at a very smart rate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gina La Fornarina - West Side reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)fit for foodies (6)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Charming place for a date!YumyumtumDined on 8/13/2014Perfect place to spend a summer night with a date or friends over a nice bottle of wine and either nibbles or dinner. Food and wine lost are great and so is the service. And though it seems to be a busy neighborhood hot spot, it isn't too loud so you can have a civilized conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GirlyTobayDined on 8/1/2014Went with my mom and little sister and it's just the cutest place without feeling ridiculous. The food is sophisticated and really great. Get the goat cheese chopped salad! Dishes are probably large enough to split or to at least share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatOutOftenDined on 7/28/2014Service was slow and not particularly congenial. Food was very disappointing, and they were out of angel hair pasta special by 7PM.
- Just okayCather123VIPDined on 7/20/2014I ordered a special. They were out. So I ordered something from the regular menu. They didn't have it. By the time I figured out what to order, I was fed up. So I ordered some chicken and it was fine, but nothing exciting. The menu was interesting, but the food was not. I will go elsewhere next time.
- TheyCameToBostonVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a very nice meal at Gina La Fornarina. Service is quick and efficient. Terrific veal-and-beef meatballs. But next time I will be sure to order the home-made pasta. I had a sample and it was also terrific. Wine list is nothing special, but you aren't paying an arm and a leg either. And do use OpenTable as this place fills up quickly around dinner time.Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 6/21/2014Great menu. Had delicious dinner. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Just another UWS Italianluv2cookVIPDined on 6/7/2014It is no better or worse than many other UWS restaurants-pleasant, convenient dining.Special Features:
- RosieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Nothing impressive about this restaurant. It is fine if you want a quick meal at a causal place.Special Features:
- FoodsmokeyDined on 6/6/2014Hazelnut and Fig Angel hair was incredible and the staff was very helpful. We all loved our food so much, we cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- A Gem on the Upper West SideOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/2/2014My friends & I decided to definitely add this to one of our favorite restaurants. Food is great (red snapper, veal, pasta dishes ... DELISH!) And you must try the Italian cheesecake ( ... to die for!)Special Features:
- Pleasant SurprisemalvolioDined on 5/23/2014Stopped by for a light dinner on Memorial Day weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Antipasto Gina was a fine starter for a table of 5. Highlights were the steak tartar (spicy version,) gnocchi (pesto sauce was just alright, but gnocchi themselves were perfectly cooked little pillows) and a pizza with sweet sausage and red onions. Wine list was more than adequate for a place like this.Special Features:
- Adorable and yummyNYCladyDined on 5/9/2014Perfect place for small gatherings (4 and under) - so pretty with fresh roses and the pink glass/candle glow on every table. The food was very tasty, service very good, (and maybe best of all - I accidentally left my iPhone on the table, and it was there being held behind the bar the next morning when I went to get it!) The only thing I might change is that the price of one glass of wine didn't correlate to the price of the food - a bit pricey. But otherwise, a lovely place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disrespectful attitudefwwwVIPDined on 5/4/2014Hostess was disrespectful and did not want to honor a reservation we had arguing they'd run out of tables. This is the 2nd time I problems with this place. The first time we were seated in a table and then rude manager gave as an ultimatum of either moving to a smaller, worse table or leave. Guess there won't be a 3rd time.
- Great food & wineDancingdreamerDined on 5/1/2014Don't let the ridiculous pink curtains scare you away! The food is great! My husband & I have dined here twice with friends and we were all happy. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the Gina La Fornarina - West Side reviews archive.
- fabulous as alwaysJkonycDined on 4/6/2014this restaurant never fails and is always a great find on the uwsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't expecting much fromBabybullDined on 3/9/2014Wasn't expecting much from the outside and wasn't disappointed. I like cozy and that it was however not a warm feeling. Gnoche was rather mushy although sauce (pesto) was very good. Meatballs nice. Chicken dish tasty. What's up with "no vegetable substitutions.Special Features:
- Very pleasedNYgellaDined on 3/9/2014Had lunch with my adult children and we were all very pleased. Supper thin and crispy pizza, focaccia was very tasty, and the stuffed French toast with mascarpone cream was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe an "off day"CaroleVIPDined on 3/9/2014I have been here for a Sunday brunch before and the service was good along with the food. This time I had a very different experience where salads were sub par, were soggy, and lacked taste. Service was not good starting with seating which was extremely cramped; my chair was wedged in where any mobility was difficult. At the end of the meal we were informed(with no apology) that the credit card processing wasn't working. We didn't have much cash but after waiting 20 minutes for the bill to be processed, we paid in cash. This was a fun neighborhood place but I doubt I will return.
- Good neighborhood Italian.MaddogVIPDined on 2/28/2014Good neighborhood Italian. Bright and crowded tables. Better for lunch. Outdoor seating in warm weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiters werent very niceEater12VIPDined on 2/15/2014The waiters werent very nice and the menu wasnt very extraordinary for the brunch but tastes were good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy 'Pink and White' Restaurantan1619Dined on 1/31/2014A very nice and small pretty restaurant right by Beacon Theater! A good plus was there were many food choices especially pizzas. I had the crabmeat ravioli with lemon sauce which was delicious! My friend had chicken piccata which was also good as well! We both shared the chocolate bomb dessert which was a pleasant because it was very light and it did not make us feel even more stuffed after our meal. The portions were reasonable for one person but the pizzas are good to share with the table. One huge negative was they overcharged my friend's credit card 3x. But she was able to get her refund three days after talking to the manger in person the night after we ate there. They even offered her a glass of wine while waiting which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!JohnVIPDined on 1/25/2014My group was not disappointed! The lady who seated us immediately recognized our name from the Open Table reservations list. The ambience was perfect for what I wanted, joining up with a family member from long ago. The food was excellent, the service was great and a nice wine list. We were not rushed, the atmosphere was perfect, not too formal yet not too casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2014Tight tables and sparse goat cheese on my goat cheese sala made me think this place is just fine, nothing special despite its cute name.
- Wonderful pre-opera optionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2014I went to this restaurant with a group of 6 for lunch. The seating was a bit tight, but everything else was excellent. The bread and olive oil were of noticeably high quality, the food was delicious and fresh, and the service was just fantastic. I would highly recommend this restaurant for groups, or even just couples looking for a little up-scale gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FindBillyVIPDined on 12/13/2013Cozy neighborhood café with an Italian menu that wasn't typical. Service and food were excellent. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent outing but our clothingUWSiderVIPDined on 12/12/2013Decent outing but our clothing smelled terribly after eating here. They need to do something about the ventilation.
- Gina La FornarinaNYCGalDined on 12/3/2013Definite neighborhood gem! Wonderful waitstaff. Nice selection of wines. And each entree was delicious! The one slice of pizza I couldn't finish was even better the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, bad service. eacheateruwsVIPDined on 9/6/2013great food, bad service. each time i eat here the check is incorrect (always in their favor) -such a waste
- Not very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2013We have been to this resturant many times and usually have had a good meal. Twiice the service was bad, and the last time it was horrible. We waited over 30 minutes for our food and it would have been more if I had not said something. Bread was not delivered until afetr the food was delivered and then it was because I asked for it. Portion was small.Three of the ceiling lights were blinking on and off and after all the staff stared at them for a while (instad of waiting on tables) they finally were turned off. I do not know if they were actually turned off or if they burned out. (That is reason for my checking that the ambience was poor.) We will not be going back to this restaurant for quite a while.
- Nice, but really tight seatingBKFoodieVIPDined on 7/16/2013The food at Gina La Fornarina was good, but was not memorable compared to the tight seating experience we had. The staff was very much aware that we were not thrilled with where we were seated, but didn't do anything to make the experience more bearable. There were not many options for groups of 4 or larger at this restaurant, and I was sandwiched between the table and a corner pillar. They really read to rethink their seating, as it really affected the experience.Special Features:
- gina's on AmsterdamsuzyVIPDined on 6/20/2013Got there a few minutes early and my table by the window was ready. The others arrived soon after and we had a nice relaxing meal, good food and wine and nobody rushed us out. The outdoor tables looked like fun but glad we ate in the relative quiet of inside. Will recommend to others and go back myself.Special Features:
- Staff was very nice, but pacingjoyboyVIPDined on 6/15/2013Staff was very nice, but pacing was off - seemed overwhelmed by brunch crowd. Food was uneven - while tomato/mozzarella/basil panini was flavorful, poached salmon salad and prosciutto crudo panini weren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Private Room DownstairsDogsandbooksDined on 5/22/2013We celebrated a graduation with lunch downstairs at a big table. Excellent food, privacy - not elegant, but loads of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience. Food wasnycmommaVIPDined on 5/21/2013Good experience. Food was fine, nothing special. Service was slow to start and then was intermittant. The waiter was very nice but we were somewhat ignored.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location - food really good!RisaFoodyVIPDined on 5/14/2013Gina La Fornarina exceeded my expectations - delicious gnocchi - lovely desserts - good service and cheerful ambiance. I'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a small place. CrowdedHanaDined on 4/21/2013It is a small place. Crowded but filled with family and friendly atmosphere. Homey cooking. Portion is not big but food tasty. We ordered salmon and steak. Good presentation and good taste. Service friendly.Special Features:
- We had a great time at GinaDancingdreamerDined on 4/20/2013We had a great time at Gina La Fornarina, West Side. Went for dinner before the Beacon Theater. It was close and convenient. The food was fresh and delicious. Enjoyed Caprese salad with bread then main course, Pistachio crusted Mediterranean sea bass in cooked white wine over broccoli rabe. Food was great, portions were very good & the prices reasonable. The pink tule in the windows is a bit cheesy, but the inside is nice. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- great food, great service,JonathanVIPDined on 4/11/2013great food, great service, though very crowded. they pack the most possible seats into a spaceSpecial Features:
- Pizza was decent. GnocchiDaveRVIPDined on 4/9/2013Pizza was decent. Gnocchi was very good. Service was awful, but maybe it was our waiter. We had to repeatedly ask for our water glasses to be filled, and when we wanted to leave we couldn't even find our waiter to ask for the check, and when we finally did, it took another 10 minutes while he cleaned up tables instead of getting our check.
- Waitress barely spoke English!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/7/2013Waitress barely spoke English! Was very frustrating.Special Features: