230 W. Kinzie Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.giltbarchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 464-9544
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4:45 pm - 11:30 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:45 pm - 12:30 am
Sunday 4:45 pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Matthew Ayala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple spaces for large dinner parties or more intimate cocktail occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Jean Tomaro 3124649544
A word from Gilt Bar
A bunch of fine dining chefs and wine directors got together to create a casual restaurant that is inclusive and void of excess. The idea was to bring people together who are set on having a great night out surrounded by quality food (presented in a simple fashion), craft cocktails, beers and wine list focused on best value for the $'s.Continued
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gilt Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)romantic (101)hot spot (101)vibrant bar scene (77)good for groups (60)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (54)late-night find (45)notable wine list (26)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- great service, food, drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/22/2014This was my third visit to Gilt Bar over the past three years. Everything was wonderful. Our party of four only had 75 minutes for dinner and our server advised us on appropriate portions and timing of courses. We can't wait to go back. The Brussels sprouts salads were divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot onjasonGlobeDined on 11/15/2014The service and hospitality was spot on, and without a doubt exactly what you'd expect from a rest / bar. Spilt drink, no worries, here's another no charge. Did you need another napkin? Are you sure, just let us know. Not staying for dinner? Just a drink, no worries, but come back, we really like having you here. Oh wait, did you need a fork, let me bring everything else you might need. Great drinks, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The environment was great. Candle lit room with relaxing music. The restaurant noise level was a little high which made it hard to speak however, it was overall a great experience. Jaime our server gave excellent service and I would reccommend every one sit in his section. Very attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The truffle pasta is deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/13/2014I love gilt bar for the food, the excellent drinks and the ambiance. They are also near & dear to my heart as a supporter of the Lynn Sage Foundation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014We absolutely LOVED Gilt Bar! Before arriving, the reservation process was easy (online) and the host was very kind and flexible when we needed to adjust our reservation time. We were seated at a quiet booth in the corner of the bar. Our server, Alex, was incredible! She was extremely personable, patient, and knowledgable about wine. Her passion for wine was apparent in everything she did and said. We would love to go back just to learn more about wine from Alex! The ambiance was calm and romantic; there were a couple of small groups that also seemed to enjoy the place, too. Street parking was convenient and inexpensive. I only wish that both the bar and kitchen were open later. We would definitely go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and cocktails excellent!KQTurnerDined on 11/10/2014Tables too close together. It was difficult to hear your table mate because of the proximity to the tables next door. Their conversations interfered with ours. Food was superb as were the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingtorontotravelerDined on 11/8/2014Food, cocktails and service were all outstanding. Great vibe. I would 100% return to Gilt and recommend it to others. Best steak I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- UniqueemloDined on 11/8/2014Unique without being pretentious! Gilt Bar came recommended by friends and did not disappoint. Ate there before a concert at Chicago Theatre. Gotta eat the sprout salad. It's wonderful and I don't even like Brussels sprouts :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant late-night dinnerJamestownDined on 11/6/2014Seating was cozy, it was a little loud, but service and food were great. Loved the brownies and ice cream for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodmtnationDined on 11/4/2014I took a group of 6 out while they were in town for a trade show. The owner of my company is a foodie so it is always important for me to find new dining choices that are excellent. In short Gilt Bar hit a home run. The steak tartar on toast was delicious as were some of the other toasts and the brussel sprout salad was a hit as well. Service was excellent and everything was hot and delicious, but the big hit was the steak tartar, the owner told me it was some of the best he has ever had and that is saying something as he loves it and is in Europe quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GoodFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 11/2/2014Grabbed dinner here on a Sunday evening. One of the first people seated for dinner. Everything was on point from the start - roasted garlic, winter greens, ricotta gnocchi, salmon, as well as the chocolate cake. One of the best meals I've had in a while. Gilt Bar is definitely showing they're a force to be reckoned with in the Chicago food scene...and it appears Michelin noticed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Went to celebrate our 35th anniversary, the place was crowded and very noisy, but the food was outstanding! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food for a good priceMiguelDined on 10/31/2014I had read good comments with this restaurant and i may have managed wrongly my own expectations. I had a tartar that was not very good although the pasta that my partner had was pretty good. Quite good desserts and, given my limited knowledge of the US wine, not the greatest advice on wine although the interest of the service to have us happy was great.Special Features:
- FantastictripleBDined on 10/31/2014The steak was next level. Old fashioned was also incredible. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure to get dessert!BariDined on 10/30/2014We started with the toast dipped in garlic and balsamic which sounds so simple but it was out of this world. The main course we split the mushroom risotto which was good but nothing super special. Then, the toffee date cake. So delicious! Highly recommend this place, it's got a cool, dimly lit vibe which would be great for dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive bone-marrow, great toastInSearchOfGenuineGoodVIPDined on 10/27/2014but not so impressive waiter. The wine we asked for tasting maybe was about not even a spoonful, and throughout the whole evening, he was not too helpful - never saw him smile either. Other than that, the food, especially chicken dish was very good - also the portions are rather generous; and the truffle pasta was home-made, you could tell and was good but was VERY salty, alas.Special Features:
- Close proximity to tablesvalerina89Dined on 10/26/2014My boyfriend and I went for our anniversary dinner, first time at the restaurant with a reservation for 2. The place was low lit, very open, with a beautiful bar to the right of the entrance, and clean. Only thing I wish was different is where we were sat. We were sat in the front at a 1.5 foot width table with about 6 inches between us and the tables next to us. Granted, this is Chicago and that's how most places are. It was very...cozy. We could have asked to sit elsewhere but the table next to us seemed to be finishing up so we didn't fuss. It was overall a great place with the atmosphere, food, drinks, and service (ricotta gnocchi, mashed potatoes, and rib eye steak- delicious!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy setting, rich flavorsWineBlondeVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is the first time I have been to this restaurant early enough to enjoy it before it got super busy, and I highly recommend doing so! The service was excellent and every dish we had was executed perfectly with intense flavors. Dishes to try: the mussels, shaved brussels salad, the pork belly with lentils, and the octopus entree. Homemade ice cream are the perfect cold and creamy ending, or go all out with the sticky toffee date cake...so rich! Great wines by the glass at fairly decent prices. I suggest sitting at the tables in the bar area. Ask for a corner spot, cozy up to your date and dig-in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice gem!weinsparDined on 10/25/2014This was a great find! Our server was knowledgeable and made fantastic recommendations! The cocktails were delicious and the food was fantastic! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!FOODDined on 10/25/2014Service was excellent! Food was amazing! Try the bone marrow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wry goodDinerDined on 10/19/2014A bit slow but food was excellent. Had orichette pasta and it was very goodSpecial Features:
- YummmmmmmmmyDandAMomDined on 10/19/2014I took clients here at the recommendation of a friend who lives local. It is VERY dark, so a little weird for clients... And at first look at the menu it seems very limited - but OMG, Larry! This place is phenomenal - foie gras was FANTASTIC! All the salads were good, but the shaved brussel sprout salad was the yummiest! Everyone loved their dinner. I can only speak for mine - gnocchi - it was heavenly. Buttery, but not too rich just a hint of the pork, but not overbearing. We had all the veggies but the fries and I could have made a meal out of just the veggies! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014Try the marrow bones. Yumm. Truffle pasta? Yes please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilt to the maxlakinuiDined on 10/16/2014The bartender is an excellent mixologist. He used an eye dropper to add house made ingredients, measured all other liquors and mixes and made sure each cocktail was right before serving. My girlfriend ordered a non alcoholic lemonade and it was prepared with equal precision. I had the Bee's Knees which I highly recommend. It was a potent blend but sweet and smooth to the taste. We had the Truffle Pasta and the Gunthorp Farms half chicken. The pasta al dente and creamy perfection. The chicken succulent and seasoned perfectly. Joseph is an excellent server.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereCBGSDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I came for my birthday dinner. We got drinks and apps downstairs at the Library. The cocktails were awesome and the apps were delicious. The Brussel sprouts might have been the best part of the meal. Throughout the night We also got the fries, grilled octopus, truffle pasta and pork belly too. It was waaaay too much food but we wanted to try so many things. All of it was fantastic. I hope to go back again soon. Highly recommend Gilt Bar!Special Features:
- danahanesdanahanesDined on 10/11/2014As others have said, it was dark inside. Perfect for a nice dinner with good friends. Service was great, ambiance was perfect.Special Features:
- Amazing foodFood4lifeDined on 10/10/2014They now have a 4 course pre-fix option that is the perfect size portions and allows you to try even more menu items! Fabulous restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I took two friends in from out of town here. We sat in the Library, which was perfect - quieter than the upstairs but still a great vibe. Food and drink selection were awesome.Special Features:
- Great Place for Out-of-townersOlliePDined on 10/4/2014I had been here before for drinks after work once and have been wanting to go back. Took a group of my friends who were in from out of town and we had a great time! It was a Saturday night - full restaurant - great food - friendly staff - fun girls night.Special Features:
- Interesting, delicious; +vibeTheNightIsAlwaysBeautifulDined on 10/1/2014Pleasantly restrained, but helpful waiter. Great service from the second we walked in the door. Even a minor item like the Brussels sprout salad was fantastic. We’ll be back. I’ve been recommending this place to everyone since eating there. And don’t skip a stroll downstairs-thoughtful and clever.Special Features:
- Ask to sit in basementJbpears4Dined on 9/26/2014There's a secret basement area (behind a practically hidden doorway) that houses a speakeasy type area. SO COOL. You have to CALL when you make a reservation to be seated down there (I.e. Asking via OpenTable doesn't work) Food and drinks were delish, especially the pork belly. It was insane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever!!AP21VIPDined on 9/26/2014We have found Chicago to be a very friendly city and this server was outright rude. We were there to eat and drink! Unfortunately, our experience started off with a miscommunication- thought reso was at 915 but they said 9 so they couldnt find us a table right away but then they did which we appreciated. However our server was rude from the onset - as usual we would order our drinks first and then order appetizers, but she said we HAD to order food first! Perhaps it was because the kitchen closes but she did not provide any explanation. We also ordered quite a bit of food and between four of us only 1 bottle of wine and 2 beers, so if she was worried we were going to drink too much, then she was wrong and misjudged us. Very disappointing!!Special Features:
- Alcohol served to pregnant womanCitydinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our pregnant friend was served alcohol despite asking specifically for a "mocktail" version of a Moscow mule. The managerial staff didn't not handle it well and initially just offered to reverse the charges for just the drink.
- BirthdaymmmmmVIPDined on 9/23/2014I had planned a special 30th birthday dinner for my boyfriend. I wrote on my open table reservation that it was his birthday. The waitress came over and said, "I heard there is a birthday here!!" And she put a candle in the dessert. It was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningfoursomeDined on 9/22/2014Monday night at Gilt Bar - Great cocktails and superbly crafted food, with something for all tastes, coupled with terrific service - always attentive and moved at the pace we wanted. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Great food and great cocktailsAuroraMomVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a very warm and inviting place. The bar is old school cool with pleasant music playing. My husband usually has to explain how to make the cocktails he wants, but here they know what they are doing. We got the marrow appetizer, the octopus with lima beans, and truffle pasta. All were very tasty Excellent service, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014When we checked in the hosts could not have been nicer and seated us right away although we were late for our reservation. We were using the flashlight app on our phones to look at the drink menu and our waiter came up to our table and rudely warned us that we were to be careful where we pointed the light as it disturbs other people. When he came back to the table he told us it was best to order everything at once since it was busy. We ordered our drinks and our food together. About 10 minutes later our food arrived at the table. Still no drinks. Very strange. Drinks arrived about 5 minutes later. No apologies. Never checked back with us. We still tipped him 20 percent but left surprised at how bad the service was.Special Features:
- Food was awesome as usual, but..RalphmarpleVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our server wasnt 100 % what you would expect. He was a bit off his game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for out-of-townersTexanTravelersDined on 9/14/2014While visiting from Texas, I wanted to find a nice spot for me and my girlfriend to have dinner and drinks. This was just a quick ride away on the L, and I was able to make a reservation easily around 8 on a Sunday night. Service was great, they even took our backpacks at the coat check. Signature cocktails were interesting and delicious. She liked the Lillet Rose and I thought the Lions Tail was very good. Food was not heavily seasoned and cooked just right. Prices were reasonable for a nicer dinner and the servers were friendly and helpful. Overall we had a great experience. Would definitely recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here twice and both times have been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.