230 W. Kinzie Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.giltbarchicago.com/
- Phone: 3124649544
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4:45 pm - 11:30 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:45 pm - 12:30 am
Sunday 4:45 pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Matthew Ayala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple spaces for large dinner parties or more intimate cocktail occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Jean Tomaro 3124649544
A word from Gilt Bar
A bunch of fine dining chefs and wine directors got together to create a casual restaurant that is inclusive and void of excess. The idea was to bring people together who are set on having a great night out surrounded by quality food (presented in a simple fashion), craft cocktails, beers and wine list focused on best value for the $'s.Continued
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gilt Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)romantic (101)hot spot (98)vibrant bar scene (84)special occasion (68)good for groups (64)neighborhood gem (57)late-night find (51)notable wine list (24)great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Ask to sit in basementJbpears4Dined on 9/26/2014There's a secret basement area (behind a practically hidden doorway) that houses a speakeasy type area. SO COOL. You have to CALL when you make a reservation to be seated down there (I.e. Asking via OpenTable doesn't work) Food and drinks were delish, especially the pork belly. It was insane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alcohol served to pregnant womanCitydinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our pregnant friend was served alcohol despite asking specifically for a "mocktail" version of a Moscow mule. The managerial staff didn't not handle it well and initially just offered to reverse the charges for just the drink.
- BirthdaymmmmmVIPDined on 9/23/2014I had planned a special 30th birthday dinner for my boyfriend. I wrote on my open table reservation that it was his birthday. The waitress came over and said, "I heard there is a birthday here!!" And she put a candle in the dessert. It was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningfoursomeDined on 9/22/2014Monday night at Gilt Bar - Great cocktails and superbly crafted food, with something for all tastes, coupled with terrific service - always attentive and moved at the pace we wanted. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Great food and great cocktailsAuroraMomVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a very warm and inviting place. The bar is old school cool with pleasant music playing. My husband usually has to explain how to make the cocktails he wants, but here they know what they are doing. We got the marrow appetizer, the octopus with lima beans, and truffle pasta. All were very tasty Excellent service, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014When we checked in the hosts could not have been nicer and seated us right away although we were late for our reservation. We were using the flashlight app on our phones to look at the drink menu and our waiter came up to our table and rudely warned us that we were to be careful where we pointed the light as it disturbs other people. When he came back to the table he told us it was best to order everything at once since it was busy. We ordered our drinks and our food together. About 10 minutes later our food arrived at the table. Still no drinks. Very strange. Drinks arrived about 5 minutes later. No apologies. Never checked back with us. We still tipped him 20 percent but left surprised at how bad the service was.Special Features:
- Food was awesome as usual, but..RalphmarpleVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our server wasnt 100 % what you would expect. He was a bit off his game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for out-of-townersTexanTravelersDined on 9/14/2014While visiting from Texas, I wanted to find a nice spot for me and my girlfriend to have dinner and drinks. This was just a quick ride away on the L, and I was able to make a reservation easily around 8 on a Sunday night. Service was great, they even took our backpacks at the coat check. Signature cocktails were interesting and delicious. She liked the Lillet Rose and I thought the Lions Tail was very good. Food was not heavily seasoned and cooked just right. Prices were reasonable for a nicer dinner and the servers were friendly and helpful. Overall we had a great experience. Would definitely recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here twice and both times have been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING. Where do I begin?MeredithP24Dined on 9/12/2014DELICIOUS food, excellent service and incredible ambiance. Take away the great food (which was GREAT) I would still come back because of the cool atmosphere and great service. We didn't leave an ounce of food on our plate. Can't wait to come back!!!Special Features:
- Good food but too loudSarahVIPDined on 9/12/2014Love this place but you are always shouting at everyone. Why is the music so loud??
- Young vibe but great biz dinnerServiceIsKingDined on 9/12/2014Bartender was very busy but still attentive. Hostess was flexible and accommodated a late arrival in our party without any issue. Place was hoping on Friday night. Waitress was such a pro, fun, good recs, flex, and pace was perfect. Food very good. Loved this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!supperclub5450Dined on 9/10/2014Such a delicious dinner. Our table ordered two toasts (roasted garlic/balsamic [yummy] and heirloom tomatoes/burrata) and needed more toast to finish. I had the truffle pasta, which was beyond amazing. Rich, but not too rich. I finished all of it. Table also ordered ice cream with hot fudge. Reasonably priced for amazing dinner. Small and large plates to share.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014WE loved Gilt. Can not wait to go back. Outstanding food service and the staff was very keen to all we asked. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Picked this restaurant solely on reviews. Don't miss the burrata and they have seriously one of the best chocolate layer cakes I've ever had.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Took my parents and fiancee here for a nice dinner on the weekend. Was amazed to find that it wasn't packed as the food and service was wonderful. By far the best meal we had in 4 days in Chicago. We will be back to this place as often as we can!!!Special Features:
- The perfect Saturday date nightfoodiegal22Dined on 9/6/2014I've been to Gilt several times. It is the perfect spot for a date( dim lighting, shared plates, and great cocktails..Bees Knees is my favorite). My favorite thing to eat here is the Steak Tartare. The squash salad was dressed a bit too heavily and was also a bit too salty(still had some great flavors though). The Gnocci with pork belly was great, but again a bit too salty for us.Special Features:
- Great meatpetcopDined on 9/3/2014We had their ribeye. We have had great beef before, but this come into our top-3. Cooked to order (rare - the only way to appreciate a good piece of meat), task, tender and with good French fries. And the lemon-meringue desert (full meal for 2!!) was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodJENNDined on 8/31/2014Big portions especially the toasts. However, the waiter did ensure we did not order too many dishes. Everything was very good and loved the Lillet Rose on the rocks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowporkbellyDined on 8/31/2014What a great find...amazing pork belly, great ambiance...and the price for this meal was unbelievably affordable for what you get. On my next trip to chicago, i'll be back here for dinner.Special Features:
- Great findTravelforfoodDined on 8/27/2014Went as a team of 3 and were surprised by the smaller menu, but very pleased with the quality and presentation of the food. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to choose from. But obviously focusing on a few items intead of too many pays off.Special Features:
- Amazing VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Second time here, met a girlfriend for drinks and we loved the ambiance!! Great place for a date, will be back for a full meal hopefully soon!Special Features:
- Sooo goodHessyDined on 8/26/2014This I the second time I've eaten at Gilt Bar and it was even better than the first. Make sure to check out the Library! A really neat restaurant with absolutely to die for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers love Gilt BardkingDined on 8/22/2014My girl and I flew into Chicago and looked up a few places to eat... and decided to try Gilt Bar. We got the chicken and mussels, two things we don't normally eat, but, we ate on the waiter's recommendation, and we were THRILLED. As much as we eat in fancy-pants NY, the Gilt Bar would be one of our favorites if it only moved about 1,500 miles. Great service, we loved the chandelier, and the food was properly grilled and seasoned comfort food... at least my chicken was (comfort food). We will be back as soon as we get back to Chicago... hopefully, before the CUBS have a winning record. Haha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a fun timeJSChitownVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went there with some friends on Friday night. We had a great time and the food was fantastic! The salads (shaved squash and a green apple salad), the mussels were my favorite. The truffle pasta while rich is a good dish to share and very yummy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- My after work faveMariaDined on 8/18/2014I love to drop in for a quick bite and a drink after work. It's lovely to have such great service and care.Special Features:
- UkrUK007Dined on 8/16/2014I am VERY offended. . I made dinner reservations after my brother and I attended an IMAX prior to the air and water show...we walked in and were questioned like 13 yrs old if we been "over served" and "where we were out before" I have NEVER been so humiliated and treated like a child. The guy played it out like a formaility.... I felt discriminated. I have dined here frequently. However, perhaps If came in wearing a skimpy dress like the couple before me I would have not been asked these questions. I told the hostess how infuriated I was...she did nothing. This was an absolute embarrassment, espiscally because I have been here a handful of times, but this time I made reservations to treat my brother from out of town to dinner.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Went for drinks and apps. Moscow mule and bees knees were excellent. My friend enjoyed the manhattan and old fashioned menu. Food and service were great. Very near experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but snooty serviceFurryWombatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our server would find benefit by learning a bit of tact, but the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNikLovesFoodDined on 8/7/2014Everything was great! Nice atmosphere. Our waitress was a little slow at first but otherwise great. Must try the steak tartar and truffle pasta 😋Special Features:
- Fun and trendyAleaDined on 8/2/2014Our waiter Klaus (not sure on spelling) was fantastic! Great drinks, delicious options. The bread with roasted garlic was our favorite and such a perfect starter.Special Features:
- Is it so hard to be nice?mtothebVIPDined on 7/31/2014For no reason whatsoever, our server was incredibly rude, short and condescending. I've always had impeccable service at Hogsalt and am a frequent diner at their venues. This lady should not be a server anywhere...needs new line of business.
- Great place to chill after workSalmanDined on 7/29/2014My friends and I are regulars here, coming everyday after work to decompress. Their food is great. Coffee is great. Their drinks are excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely shinessupercritical1Dined on 7/28/2014food was fantastic, price & portions well balanced. cocktail list was simply great. room, music, seating all perfect. service staff was spot on.Special Features:
- DET2CHIhumbolthomieDined on 7/24/2014Had an amazing experience at this downtown swanky place. I knew the drinks would be great, but never expected our dinner to be so delicious. We had the gnocchi, lemon pasta and smoked salmon caesar. Wait staff very attentive. I loved the decor. Hip and young vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, ambience was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014This is a really cool bar with awesome food. The issue is that it is so dark you can barely read the menu or see your food. But it did not stop me from returning. My waitress was not great, not pleasant, I had to ask for a dessert menu and refill my own water! The first time I went the service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RajADined on 7/19/2014Menu items are limited (only 4 entre items with a few pastas), but all the food was very good (chicken, steak and pork belly). I liked the ambiance / decor of the place but we were seated in an area with almost no light...had to use my iphone to read the menu and look at the food. I do have to point out the drink I ordered (Moscow Mule) was all ice .. they used crushed ice and filled it to the top of the glass...I think I got about 10 sips and was done. After I asked they reduce the ice to be more reasonable level they then gave a drink where the glass was not full. Overall I enjoyed the food and the experience but the restaurant should look at the details of their drinks, menu options to make an interesting place to visit again.Special Features:
- Food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food was delicious I would suggest the steak tartar it was fantastic. Then lighting is a little darker but romantic. We went with a party of six and could hear each other fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please goOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014From the food to the drinks to the ambiance (those lights), there's no other way to say it: This is the sexiest establishment in the elite Chicago food scene.Special Features:
- Eat in the LibrarydocgcaVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had the chance to move to the Library due to a cancellation and it was definitely worth it. The space and ambiance was great. Service was excellent, great drink menu. Plates are good sized; though some might find the menu a little limited we were fine with the choices and everything was very good. Standouts were the bone marrow and the 50/50 sausage. Chocolate pie for dessert was great as well. Could easily see how it could become a bit of a madhouse on the weekend (we went on a Tuesday with about 80% occupancy).Special Features: