230 W. Kinzie Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.giltbarchicago.com/
- Phone: 3124649544
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4:45 pm - 11:30 pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:45 pm - 12:30 am
Sunday 4:45 pm - 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Matthew Ayala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple spaces for large dinner parties or more intimate cocktail occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Jean Tomaro 3124649544
A word from Gilt Bar
A bunch of fine dining chefs and wine directors got together to create a casual restaurant that is inclusive and void of excess. The idea was to bring people together who are set on having a great night out surrounded by quality food (presented in a simple fashion), craft cocktails, beers and wine list focused on best value for the $'s.Continued
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Gilt Bar's main dining room. If you would like to dine in our Library please call the restaurant after 2pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gilt Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)hot spot (96)romantic (94)vibrant bar scene (79)good for groups (59)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (49)late-night find (45)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Wry goodDinerDined on 10/19/2014A bit slow but food was excellent. Had orichette pasta and it was very goodSpecial Features:
- YummmmmmmmmyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014I took clients here at the recommendation of a friend who lives local. It is VERY dark, so a little weird for clients... And at first look at the menu it seems very limited - but OMG, Larry! This place is phenomenal - foie gras was FANTASTIC! All the salads were good, but the shaved brussel sprout salad was the yummiest! Everyone loved their dinner. I can only speak for mine - gnocchi - it was heavenly. Buttery, but not too rich just a hint of the pork, but not overbearing. We had all the veggies but the fries and I could have made a meal out of just the veggies! I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014Try the marrow bones. Yumm. Truffle pasta? Yes please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilt to the maxlakinuiDined on 10/16/2014The bartender is an excellent mixologist. He used an eye dropper to add house made ingredients, measured all other liquors and mixes and made sure each cocktail was right before serving. My girlfriend ordered a non alcoholic lemonade and it was prepared with equal precision. I had the Bee's Knees which I highly recommend. It was a potent blend but sweet and smooth to the taste. We had the Truffle Pasta and the Gunthorp Farms half chicken. The pasta al dente and creamy perfection. The chicken succulent and seasoned perfectly. Joseph is an excellent server.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmosphereCBGSDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I came for my birthday dinner. We got drinks and apps downstairs at the Library. The cocktails were awesome and the apps were delicious. The Brussel sprouts might have been the best part of the meal. Throughout the night We also got the fries, grilled octopus, truffle pasta and pork belly too. It was waaaay too much food but we wanted to try so many things. All of it was fantastic. I hope to go back again soon. Highly recommend Gilt Bar!Special Features:
- danahanesdanahanesDined on 10/11/2014As others have said, it was dark inside. Perfect for a nice dinner with good friends. Service was great, ambiance was perfect.Special Features:
- Amazing foodFood4lifeDined on 10/10/2014They now have a 4 course pre-fix option that is the perfect size portions and allows you to try even more menu items! Fabulous restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I took two friends in from out of town here. We sat in the Library, which was perfect - quieter than the upstairs but still a great vibe. Food and drink selection were awesome.Special Features:
- Great Place for Out-of-townersOlliePDined on 10/4/2014I had been here before for drinks after work once and have been wanting to go back. Took a group of my friends who were in from out of town and we had a great time! It was a Saturday night - full restaurant - great food - friendly staff - fun girls night.Special Features:
- Interesting, delicious; +vibeTheNightIsAlwaysBeautifulDined on 10/1/2014Pleasantly restrained, but helpful waiter. Great service from the second we walked in the door. Even a minor item like the Brussels sprout salad was fantastic. We’ll be back. I’ve been recommending this place to everyone since eating there. And don’t skip a stroll downstairs-thoughtful and clever.Special Features:
- Ask to sit in basementJbpears4Dined on 9/26/2014There's a secret basement area (behind a practically hidden doorway) that houses a speakeasy type area. SO COOL. You have to CALL when you make a reservation to be seated down there (I.e. Asking via OpenTable doesn't work) Food and drinks were delish, especially the pork belly. It was insane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever!!AP21VIPDined on 9/26/2014We have found Chicago to be a very friendly city and this server was outright rude. We were there to eat and drink! Unfortunately, our experience started off with a miscommunication- thought reso was at 915 but they said 9 so they couldnt find us a table right away but then they did which we appreciated. However our server was rude from the onset - as usual we would order our drinks first and then order appetizers, but she said we HAD to order food first! Perhaps it was because the kitchen closes but she did not provide any explanation. We also ordered quite a bit of food and between four of us only 1 bottle of wine and 2 beers, so if she was worried we were going to drink too much, then she was wrong and misjudged us. Very disappointing!!Special Features:
- Alcohol served to pregnant womanCitydinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Our pregnant friend was served alcohol despite asking specifically for a "mocktail" version of a Moscow mule. The managerial staff didn't not handle it well and initially just offered to reverse the charges for just the drink.
- BirthdaymmmmmVIPDined on 9/23/2014I had planned a special 30th birthday dinner for my boyfriend. I wrote on my open table reservation that it was his birthday. The waitress came over and said, "I heard there is a birthday here!!" And she put a candle in the dessert. It was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningfoursomeDined on 9/22/2014Monday night at Gilt Bar - Great cocktails and superbly crafted food, with something for all tastes, coupled with terrific service - always attentive and moved at the pace we wanted. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Great food and great cocktailsAuroraMomVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a very warm and inviting place. The bar is old school cool with pleasant music playing. My husband usually has to explain how to make the cocktails he wants, but here they know what they are doing. We got the marrow appetizer, the octopus with lima beans, and truffle pasta. All were very tasty Excellent service, will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014When we checked in the hosts could not have been nicer and seated us right away although we were late for our reservation. We were using the flashlight app on our phones to look at the drink menu and our waiter came up to our table and rudely warned us that we were to be careful where we pointed the light as it disturbs other people. When he came back to the table he told us it was best to order everything at once since it was busy. We ordered our drinks and our food together. About 10 minutes later our food arrived at the table. Still no drinks. Very strange. Drinks arrived about 5 minutes later. No apologies. Never checked back with us. We still tipped him 20 percent but left surprised at how bad the service was.Special Features:
- Food was awesome as usual, but..RalphmarpleVIPDined on 9/18/2014Our server wasnt 100 % what you would expect. He was a bit off his game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for out-of-townersTexanTravelersDined on 9/14/2014While visiting from Texas, I wanted to find a nice spot for me and my girlfriend to have dinner and drinks. This was just a quick ride away on the L, and I was able to make a reservation easily around 8 on a Sunday night. Service was great, they even took our backpacks at the coat check. Signature cocktails were interesting and delicious. She liked the Lillet Rose and I thought the Lions Tail was very good. Food was not heavily seasoned and cooked just right. Prices were reasonable for a nicer dinner and the servers were friendly and helpful. Overall we had a great experience. Would definitely recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/13/2014We have dined here twice and both times have been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING. Where do I begin?MeredithP24Dined on 9/12/2014DELICIOUS food, excellent service and incredible ambiance. Take away the great food (which was GREAT) I would still come back because of the cool atmosphere and great service. We didn't leave an ounce of food on our plate. Can't wait to come back!!!Special Features:
- Good food but too loudSarahVIPDined on 9/12/2014Love this place but you are always shouting at everyone. Why is the music so loud??
- Young vibe but great biz dinnerServiceIsKingDined on 9/12/2014Bartender was very busy but still attentive. Hostess was flexible and accommodated a late arrival in our party without any issue. Place was hoping on Friday night. Waitress was such a pro, fun, good recs, flex, and pace was perfect. Food very good. Loved this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!supperclub5450Dined on 9/10/2014Such a delicious dinner. Our table ordered two toasts (roasted garlic/balsamic [yummy] and heirloom tomatoes/burrata) and needed more toast to finish. I had the truffle pasta, which was beyond amazing. Rich, but not too rich. I finished all of it. Table also ordered ice cream with hot fudge. Reasonably priced for amazing dinner. Small and large plates to share.Special Features:
- Just WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014WE loved Gilt. Can not wait to go back. Outstanding food service and the staff was very keen to all we asked. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Picked this restaurant solely on reviews. Don't miss the burrata and they have seriously one of the best chocolate layer cakes I've ever had.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Took my parents and fiancee here for a nice dinner on the weekend. Was amazed to find that it wasn't packed as the food and service was wonderful. By far the best meal we had in 4 days in Chicago. We will be back to this place as often as we can!!!Special Features:
- The perfect Saturday date nightfoodiegal22Dined on 9/6/2014I've been to Gilt several times. It is the perfect spot for a date( dim lighting, shared plates, and great cocktails..Bees Knees is my favorite). My favorite thing to eat here is the Steak Tartare. The squash salad was dressed a bit too heavily and was also a bit too salty(still had some great flavors though). The Gnocci with pork belly was great, but again a bit too salty for us.Special Features:
- Great meatpetcopDined on 9/3/2014We had their ribeye. We have had great beef before, but this come into our top-3. Cooked to order (rare - the only way to appreciate a good piece of meat), task, tender and with good French fries. And the lemon-meringue desert (full meal for 2!!) was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodJENNDined on 8/31/2014Big portions especially the toasts. However, the waiter did ensure we did not order too many dishes. Everything was very good and loved the Lillet Rose on the rocks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowporkbellyDined on 8/31/2014What a great find...amazing pork belly, great ambiance...and the price for this meal was unbelievably affordable for what you get. On my next trip to chicago, i'll be back here for dinner.Special Features:
- Great findTravelforfoodDined on 8/27/2014Went as a team of 3 and were surprised by the smaller menu, but very pleased with the quality and presentation of the food. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to choose from. But obviously focusing on a few items intead of too many pays off.Special Features:
- Amazing VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Second time here, met a girlfriend for drinks and we loved the ambiance!! Great place for a date, will be back for a full meal hopefully soon!Special Features:
- Sooo goodHessyDined on 8/26/2014This I the second time I've eaten at Gilt Bar and it was even better than the first. Make sure to check out the Library! A really neat restaurant with absolutely to die for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers love Gilt BardkingDined on 8/22/2014My girl and I flew into Chicago and looked up a few places to eat... and decided to try Gilt Bar. We got the chicken and mussels, two things we don't normally eat, but, we ate on the waiter's recommendation, and we were THRILLED. As much as we eat in fancy-pants NY, the Gilt Bar would be one of our favorites if it only moved about 1,500 miles. Great service, we loved the chandelier, and the food was properly grilled and seasoned comfort food... at least my chicken was (comfort food). We will be back as soon as we get back to Chicago... hopefully, before the CUBS have a winning record. Haha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a fun timeJSChitownVIPDined on 8/22/2014Went there with some friends on Friday night. We had a great time and the food was fantastic! The salads (shaved squash and a green apple salad), the mussels were my favorite. The truffle pasta while rich is a good dish to share and very yummy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- My after work faveMariaDined on 8/18/2014I love to drop in for a quick bite and a drink after work. It's lovely to have such great service and care.Special Features:
- UkrUK007Dined on 8/16/2014I am VERY offended. . I made dinner reservations after my brother and I attended an IMAX prior to the air and water show...we walked in and were questioned like 13 yrs old if we been "over served" and "where we were out before" I have NEVER been so humiliated and treated like a child. The guy played it out like a formaility.... I felt discriminated. I have dined here frequently. However, perhaps If came in wearing a skimpy dress like the couple before me I would have not been asked these questions. I told the hostess how infuriated I was...she did nothing. This was an absolute embarrassment, espiscally because I have been here a handful of times, but this time I made reservations to treat my brother from out of town to dinner.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Went for drinks and apps. Moscow mule and bees knees were excellent. My friend enjoyed the manhattan and old fashioned menu. Food and service were great. Very near experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but snooty serviceFurryWombatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our server would find benefit by learning a bit of tact, but the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.