Gilly's at The B.O.B.
20 Monroe Ave
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Gilly's at The B.O.B.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/
- Phone: 6163562000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Clark Frain
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Options Available
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available. Call for more detail.
- Private Party Contact: Lou Bryant 6163562000x
A word from Gilly's at The B.O.B.
Gilly's brings the art of the bar to a whole new level with an outstanding menu highlighted by jet fresh small plate and seafood features, an amazing list of sea to table oysters, fun and interesting new age twists on all of our dishes, and the essential highballs and cocktails. We also pour the coldest pints of house hand crafted micro brews. Add in GR's favorite traditional raw bar and you have the best casual bar and seafood joint in town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Gilly's at The B.O.B. - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
Gilly's at The B.O.B. reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (19)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Not worth the money.JohnnyvDined on 9/13/2014I had a seafood trio for $23 and it had 1 scallop, 1 small piece of tuna over cooked and 1 small piece of Cobia fish that I could not eat because of the connective tissue that was so tough that I could not cut it with a knife. Every time I try a Gilmore resturant I'm disappointed.Special Features:
- sparrowtooDined on 9/8/2014This restaurant has fabulous food options. I love the variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodfoodeDined on 9/7/2014Good seafood tapas! Great drinks. All food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The service was friendly and attentive and the food was fabulous.Special Features:
- Delicious!mj17Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing seafood. Yellowfin tuna is great! The service was awesome as well. The bar tender was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodBussellDined on 8/30/2014We have been here a couple of times and the food and service is always good.Special Features:
- Never disappointedFoodie4lifeDined on 8/22/2014We have dined at Gillys several times and it's always top notch. The food .... I dream about the food! Healthy options unique options and the lobster Mac n cheese.... Need I say more? Great wine great service friendly staff who will go above and beyond for you. YummmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Staff and Excellent Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I took my parents here to celebrate a special birthday and the staff were great! They catered to our requests and were very helpful in their recommendations. The meal was great and we all left very fat and happy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkPhilliePhoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food is okay. Went during restaurant week so they seemed to be trying some new dishes. Menu is fully of trendy dishes, nothing really inspired and the execution is just ok.
- Wonderful date night placedawngracieDined on 8/15/2014We came for dinner and a comedy show. My husband had the Restaurant Week menu, and it was outstanding! We will be back for the Oyster bar for sure! Darion our server provided exceptional serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentEatsDined on 8/15/2014We're in town for four days from Washington DC, and happen to be here during restaurant week. We were a little suspicious at first because Gilly's looks to be part of a chain or group of restaurants located in a large warehouse (look for it!). But the food and service far exceeded our expectations. We've been to two other highly rated restaurants in Grand Rapids since being here, but neither has surpassed Gilly's. In fact, when the in laws came to meet us halfway through our visit, we took them back. Everything we had was fresh, delicious, and prepared to perfection. Great job, and HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedMMMmDined on 8/10/2014first time here. Took our kids right before a concert. Their menu choices were also good for kids. 70% seafood on the menu. Plan for an hour and a half for a meal . Amazing brussels sprouts, cheddar soup, walleye, and crab-cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MomoEliDined on 8/8/2014Delicious food! We'll be back! Lobster Mac and Cheese was delicious.Special Features:
- Good Downtown spotLatinman47Dined on 7/16/2014Just a good place to dine.... Atmosphere was very nice..it was a quiet business eve. I picked the restaurant because the menu had halibut which is my favorite fish..it was very well prepared and very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehhospitalityhippieDined on 7/15/2014Service was great. The menu had few food choices but good beer, wine & cocktail selections. They ran out of two main courses by the time we got there; it was only 7pm on a Tuesday night.Special Features:
- DisappointedckluckydogDined on 7/3/2014Gillys used to be one if my favorite restaurants, but I feel like they've gone downhill. I ordered a filet medium rare, but it was more medium. My husband ordered a burger and he was told they didn't have any mayo for it, although there are two other restaurants in the building that would have some no one offered to get some for him. We won't be going back for a while.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveAlwaysExcellentDined on 6/21/2014There were 3 of us. We each had 2 drinks and dinner. No appetizer or dessert. Our total bill came to $130 before tip. Was good, but not at those prices.Special Features:
- Decent ExperienceAngPDined on 6/16/2014It would not disappoint, but nothing spectacular either. Good option if you were seeking seafood because there were plently of choices. Staff was friendly, lacking a little knowledge of wine list, but was more than happy to find the answer for me. Would be a nice spot to dine if you were planning on continuing your evening at The B.O.B. Was there on a Monday night so it was quiet and food arrived quickly.Special Features:
- Great foodduckwizeDined on 6/11/2014Variety of dishes to choose from, catering more towards the seafood dishes. Everything is fresh, and made in house. Right downtown. Make a reservation just to be safe, hit and miss on open tables.Special Features:
- Oysters, wine and WalleyeBillTVIPDined on 6/10/2014Gilly's consistently has the best seafood around. They had 5 varieties of fresh oysters available at a very fair market price of only $2.50 each. The wines available will suite every taste and budget. Getting a nice New Zealand Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc for only $35 a bottle is a steal at a restaurant and the walleye was the best that I have ever had. The fish was perfectly tender and flaky with and excellent crispy crunch on the exterior with the potato crust. The meal and service were perfect. I was also impressed with how many vegetarian options there were on the menu. Not your typical 1 boring thing for a vegetarian to eat, but many options to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JDD7Dined on 5/31/2014Our server, Sarah, did a great job. She was attentive and went beyond to find vanilla ice cream to go on the desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Grand Rapids RestaurantFlashover911Dined on 5/28/2014This restaurant is our go to place when we want great seafood. We sat down and were quickly helped by our attentive waitress, Nichole. After answering questions about the beer selection I decided on the Hoptropolis Wheat Beer. Nice citrus taste and great hops! My wife needs a gluten free (GF) menu and there are plenty of great menu choices to choose from. We both started with the Fork and Knife Caesar Salad. Very nice start to the meal. We both had the added white anchovies which really made a great salad. I ordered the GF Salmon with Butternut Squash Risotto and my wife ordered the GF dinner option of Shrimp and Grits. TrustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 451 reviews are from the Gilly's at The B.O.B. reviews archive.
- Noisy but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014It was too loud for a good conversation, but the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good ExperienceRomanticFoodies12Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner together at Gilly's. We were a little disappointed by the cost for portion size, (especially for one rather small piece of shrimp) $3.50 each. We did however devour their Red Quinoa Chicken dish-delicious! Overall, we would return and simply order other menu items along with the Quinoa and other Gluten-free choices. Our service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Decent, Atmosphere WeirdaarpskierDined on 5/15/2014Entree choices were lobster macaroni and cheese, and honey-glazed wild sockeye salmon. The former was tasty, but was left too long under the broiler or pre-serving lamps, which dried out and crisped up the parmesan sprinkled top layer of pasta. The salmon was very good. However, serving time from order placement was over 50 minutes, even though the room was less than half full, and no bread was offered at any point. The restaurant itself is dark and strange. There is a shelving unit with what could be some interesting model boats, but no lighting to show them off. And only 3 boats in a set of 20+ openings. Nothing else remotely nautical or sea-related except a fish sculpture behind the bar. Gilly's is not up to Gilmore's own standards.
- First TrySweenyDined on 5/3/2014Typical hot spot bar. Noisy! Food was average. Prices were ok, for what you get. Overall just an average rating. Wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but would return if in the area.Special Features:
- Just alrightLovegoodfoodDined on 5/1/2014Gilly's was not the same as the last time I was there. Menu selection was just o.k. DH ordered oysters, which he loved, and beer from Bob's Brews. For dinner we ordered the sockeye salmon which was good, and the walleye. The walleye itself was good, the breading was light but it had a greasy taste, and the sides were just not my kind of flavors (horseradish in potatoes and swiss chard for veggie). We sat in a booth in which the tabletop was too high or the seat was too low and felt tight for space. Then there were the track spotlights above that flickered enough to give you a headache. At the end of the meal I was getting wafts of a garbage smell. But the prices were better than I remember. We'll return & try again another time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014Normally not a big reviewer, but this place deserves it! From the great service to amazing food, Gilly's has it all! The beer selection was very good as well. Highly recommend making this a dinner/lunch stop soon!Special Features:
- Great Seafood!Live2EatDined on 4/18/2014My hisband and I just tried Gilly's for the first time and LOVED it. They had so many great seafood dishes that were reasonably priced. We decided to try several things. We split three appetizers and an entree and were stuffed when we left. The smoked Salmon spread was to die for, the spicy shrimp tacos were loaded with flavor and the oysters were a lot of fun to try. For our entree we had the Lobster Roll. I can't say that it was as good as the ones we ate on the East Coast, but it was still really good and we didn't have to travel far to get it. We can't wait to go back and try more of what they have to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday celebrationDJ2478Dined on 4/5/2014it was a bit noisy but we found a cozy booth & had a lovely young waitress. she was partly knowledgeable but made up for it by her willingness to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceangerbrmDined on 3/28/2014The food at Gilly's was fantastic and the service was even better. Our server, Mindi, was impeccable and a joy to have taking care of us. I highly recommend both Gilly's and The B.O.B. in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun night outSallyDined on 3/28/2014The food was great, nice presentation. Highly recommend the cheesecake for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High prices, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014This was our first time at the restaurant with friends and we would not go backSpecial Features:
- Love the seafood at Gilly'sLoveGillysDined on 3/21/2014We really enjoy dining at Gilly's the seafood is always fresh and delicious! I love oysters on the half shell and Gilly's always has a nice fresh selection!! Great wine and beer, and the Pacific Rim Nachos are to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightKrayboutfoodDined on 3/20/2014Awesome date night experience. Very quite and cozy, we didn't really go at a busy time. But I'd definitely recommend it to others! Little pricey but we had a groupon so it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHoosierBoyDined on 3/14/2014My wife and I are from Fort Wayne, IN. We like a good time out and this restaurant was a good start to our night. It's great to visit a city with an active nightlife. We will be visiting her more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food and fun scenepicklepantsDined on 3/14/2014I really enjoyed my meal here. We started with the Pacific Rim Nachos which were my favorite part. I was actually sad when they were gone. With that, we tried the local brews from their in house brewery. We love trying new beers and they were great. From there we had the walleye and crab legs with shrimp tacos. The whole meal was fantastic.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceKittieDined on 3/14/2014The quality and taste of the food was awesome, but portions were somewhat small. Our server was very nice, but very busy. Our food order was "lost" somehow and it took 1.5 hours from our reservation time to get it. They comped one meal for the inconvenience .Special Features:
- Think twice about the halibut.ckluckydogDined on 3/14/2014I've been to Gilly's several times and have always loved their food, however on this occasion I was less than impressed. Gilly's is a fish house, but the restaurant shares a kitchen with Judson's, which is the Gillmore Collections steak house located in the BOB. Generally you are able to order from either menu, but I decided on the halibut from Gilly's this time. I've had halibut several times before and love that it's mild, yet meaty, but when it was brought out to me it was cold and didn't seem as mild as in the past. It was served with some grain that didn't seem to be cooked all the way and overall didn't have a great flavor. I will order something different the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodandyjjDined on 3/7/2014Great seafood dinner. Very noisy from all the live music events in adjoining bars. Waitress was very attentive. Obscene dessert portions on choco cakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.