Gigi's Asian Bistro and Dumpling Bar
Houston, TX 77056Neighborhood:
Galleria / Uptown
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Gigi's Asian Bistro and Dumpling Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gigisasianbistro.com/
- Phone: 7136298889
- Hours of Operation:
Serving continuous throughout the day, 7 days a week lunch & dinner. Monday to Thursday 11:30 AM - 10:00 PM Friday 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM Saturday Noon - 11:00 PM Sunday Noon - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Upon request for large groups of 100 persons or more we will consider catering. We also do "Corporate Take Out/Delivery services for orders of $800.00 or more.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Singapore Room with its own bar is great for private parties; seated up to 36 persons and cocktail reception up to 75 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Governale 713-629-8889
- Entertainment: Seasonal and Holidays we have fun entertainment.
- Special Events: Check our website: www.gigisasianbistro.com for seasonal events.
A word from Gigi's Asian Bistro and Dumpling Bar
Gigi's Asian Bistro & Dumpling Bar is located in The Galleria with entrances from the street on Westheimer and the interior of the Galleria. The menu is created to give your palate a tour of authentic Asian Flavors from China, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, and Maylasia in a setting that is handsome with a sexy, Asian vibe. If you are a group of 6-10 persons, ask for "Alley" tables, where each cubbyhole is curtained off from prying eyes. 15,000 silk cherry blossoms hang in the sky of our main dining room, "The Cherry Blossom Room," creating a warm and elegant atmosphere. Gigi's signature dishes are Heavenly Beef, Shaking Beef, Coconut Green Curry Chicken, Crispy Whole Fish and Japanese Eggplant. From our Dim Sum menu, guests enjoy ShuMai (shrimp & crabmeat), shrimp dumplings, & Chicken Potstickers. Quench your thirst on our chilled Lychee Martinis & Singapore Slings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gigi's Asian Bistro and Dumpling Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- restaurant closedxxxblasphemexxxDined on 2/14/2014I got a call from open table telling me that the restaurant was out of business so I didn't go. had to make last minute plans.
- Over-priced!BiklesVIPDined on 2/12/2014The food presentation was very nice. It was tasty but a little on the salty side. Our waiter was very attentive and I loved the ambiance with the high ceilings and low lighting. However, I thought that it was on the expensive side.
- Don't let the mall discourage you!MileHiJulesDined on 1/25/2014My husband, his colleague and myself enjoyed a great meal with delicious food, very sweet waiter, and fairly quick service, but timed right between courses. We had to walk into the mall to find it which would've been a deterrent for me, but my husband had been to Gigi's before and said it was really good. Throughout the restaurant, there were couples, small and large groups and dim, but adequate lighting. My cocktails were served correctly and tasted great (dirty martinis) and any special requirements we had were sufficiently handled. There was an intermittent 'gong' sound that we wondered about - maybe it represented a birthday - we didn't know, but it wasn't too loud or offensive. I would definitely refer anyone to Gigi's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion with a touch of classOperettaVIPDined on 1/25/2014A very nicely decorated environment for a relaxing lunch. Asian fusion food with a small selection of dim sum. Taste of food was more on the fusion side, nicely plated. Dim sum was lukewarm instead of the traditional steaming hot right off the steamer. It was a Saturday at 11:30 am, lots of empty seats. Great attentive service. Over priced for the kind of food served. Perhaps the 'all you can eat dim sum deal' during week days has better $ value.Special Features:
- Very good foodbnallDined on 1/21/2014Gigi's was a great experience. The food was delicious and the ambiance was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- What a disappointmentHappyMDined on 1/18/2014I had been to Gigis before for a friends birthday and it was hip and really cool. So when a friend of mine came in from out of town, I took her to Gigi's. It was surreal. The waiter was so slow and did not know the menu. It was the first night for the manager. They couldn't figure the light settings for the main room. I made reservations and yet in an empty room we were placed by ourselves alongside a wall. My friend ordered one of their signature drinks only to realize it was just tequila. The potstickers had way too much lemongrass or some weird flavor. But the main dishes were great. I was so embarrassed. So never again!!!
- While the food is good anddc11Dined on 1/18/2014While the food is good and unique, it is too expensive for what you get. I We do not believe it is worth the cost.Special Features:
- We felt like we were on the show, "nacegirlDined on 1/16/2014Service was horrible. Waiter was horrific. His jokes were rude, offensive, and discriminating. Private both wasn't private with kitchen right across way. The owner, GiGi had to wait on us after our waiter either quit or was fired. The table turned out to be a foldable table that collapsed on us. With entrees priced at 25+ it was definitely not worth going back ever!Special Features:
- First impression: We got thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/16/2014First impression: We got there at 6:30pm and the place looked empty (which was partly because the bar was closed). Since it was our first time there, we wanted to try a few things so we ordered 3 apps & 5 dishes. We had beef satay, muscles, and calamari for appetizers and they were all very good. Then we ordered the crispy fish(striped bass), eggplant, veggie medley, beef short ribs in curry, and the Malaysian clay pot (also curry). The 2 curry dishes were fine. The fish wasn't very fresh and very sweet. The vegetables were way too old and should not have been served! Though our waiter was nice, the owner blatantly ignored us, skipping past our table several times. We definitely did not feel welcome! For the $$$, we were very disappointed!
- UnderratedvarietyisthespiceoflifeVIPDined on 1/5/2014I don't understand the negative reviews about Gigi's. Every time I've been here, I've had a great experience. Gigi herself greeted us at the door and took us to our table. We began our meal this visit with the filet mignon satay, shu mai (dumplings), & our favorite shrimp dumplings in butter sauce. Melt in your mouth yummy. For our entrees, we had the wok beef with peanut sauce and the summit delight (chicken wrapped asparagus) with Hendricks gin cucumber martini and blueberry martini respectively. As always, we enjoyed sitting beneath the cherry blossom tree with thousands of silk flowers, and the music added to the ambience as well. In all, another nice time at Gigi's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2013Traditionally, we eat at another restaurant on our anniversary and we reluctantly chose GiGi's. It was a good choice. We will definitely eat there again while in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gigi,,,,,,,sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2013We have been going to Gigi,s formally hunan for the last 30 years. we still enjy the old favorites and the new items on the menu. Gigi is always there and adds her personal touch greeting us each time we show up. the lychee martini is great!Special Features:
- WORST EVER!!!LuvtodinehoustonVIPDined on 12/25/2013Christmas Day...go there ALL THE TIME because my daughter adores GiGi's and was in from Dallas. This is our Christmas Day tradition...east at GiGi's around 9:00 PM Christmas Night...we experienced the worst service ever. Given a less expensive champagne and charged for the one we ordered...left steed for 22 minutes and no one acknowledged us...I don't have enough characters left to tell the whole drama. We have sadly decided to find a new tradition...as Gigi sat on her bottom in the front as we left and barely had much to say for the horrible actions of her employees. I would have been humiliated, sadly she couldn't even stand on her feet to act like she really cared...hope they have better service for "George".
- Birthday gong too loud, too oftenDebKDined on 12/7/2013Each time they celebrate a bday the bring out the gong and beat it a few too many times. Very disturbing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent! ThePerryDined on 12/5/2013Service was excellent! The Sesame Chicken was the best I'd ever had! The sauce was delicious! It was thick and sweet. Also loved the Crabmeat Fried Rice! Ordered it just 'cause it sounded interesting...It was so good! Texture of the rice was light and fluffy, crabmeat was flavorful, and the pineapple added just the right amount of sweetness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehElsieDined on 11/22/2013The food is great but service so slow, amount of food, small esp for the price,I would recommend this to a friend.
- on the fencemartyVIPDined on 11/17/2013restaurant was not busy on sunday nite and to me looks dreary. I didn't think the condiments I tried were spicy enough.My lamb dish was good and a generous serving but did not taste of the spices described as being in it. It tasted like a sweet ,slightly hot thai sauce, not one with chipotle as described. My wifes dish was good but she won't order it again. The other couple felt that their food was good. they were out of the wine we ordered
- Love Gig'sNolaDined on 10/22/2013We were having so much fun we stuck with the appetizers and one entree! Loved all of it! Everything was fresh and the drinks were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedKenfVIPDined on 10/19/2013The food and service were okay. The food wasn't any better than numerous other chinese restaurants, but was very overpriced. $24.00 for seseme chicken? That is way too much.
- Loved!ClaireVIPDined on 10/16/2013After a company happy hour in the bar of Gigi's, I walked through the place and knew my friends would love a dinner there! The ambiance is very different from any Asian restaurants I've seen, and the curtained rooms and ceiling full of flowers dropping down are so cool! I brought some of my girl friends in yesterday and just like I knew, it was a hit. Our waiter was funny, attentive, and really knew the menu (I had only had drinks and appetizers). We did our meal family style, each picking things to try (my pick was seabass which is excellent but my favorite was the shaking beef) and of course we had to have some lychee martinis. And although my boyfriend doesn't know it yet, he will be taking me here for a romantic date night soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who works here?AlyFoodieDined on 10/12/2013We walked in with a reservation for 6 at 7pm. No hostess and the bartender kept disappearing as we asked for drinks. When the hostess came from the back or manager we were walked to our seats then letf. . Wait about 10 min for water (only 2 other tables are occupied at this time) then another 15 min for real drinks. They were out of our 1st two choices of wine and and again we had to wave down someone to take that order. However, The food as I remenber was AMAZING. I was first embarassed at the ser vice we had gotten but we cleaned our plates! Great portions and resaonble pricing for the quality. If you go with low expectations on service but high on decor and taste then you will be happy.Special Features:
- Pass it byFrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2013We went to GiGi's because we had a coupon. Hot & Sour scallops had no flavor, neither hot or sour. My wife's scotch came out as a gin but they corrected though they charged us for both. Very expensive and poor service. Cleaning of tables was like being at the end of a banquet, i guess it was dinner and a show. There are many better places in Houston.
- BlahnotrunningbackVIPDined on 10/12/2013We went to Gigi's from brunch and dim sum. The service was slow and the food was mediocre. Nothing amazing and even great about the brunch. I left feeling blah and not fully satisfied. Its also secluded and feels like a dungeon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceKatyBVIPDined on 10/12/2013I really enjoy the food they offer, but the last two times we have been here the service was terrible. On Saturday, the service was slow and our waiter did not want to engage with us at all. It took him a long time to bring us our order and then when it came time to pay it took him longer to return my change. Might try it again, but for what you pay for this restaurant, I expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grea tambience with good foodVijayDined on 10/11/2013We had a very nice evening at Gigi's. The atmosphere was great and the place was not crowded for a Friday night. Service was very good. Dumplings were great; main dishes were not the greatest tasting, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was not busyLaurelDined on 10/6/2013The restaurant was not busy the night we came. Our waiter got off to a bit of a rocky start with his service, but once on a roll he took very attentive care of us. Our dinner was splendid. The dumplings were very tasty and the clay pot was perfect ~ reminding my wife of HOME. The waiter brought us complimentary dessert because we were celebrating our recent marriage. How sweet of him. Yes, I intend to visit Gigi's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, so-so serviceGallopingGourmandVIPDined on 10/5/2013Our apps included the Thai chicken soup, flavorful and big enough for two to split, and the chicken & ginger steamed dumplings served with a garlic soy sauce, one of my personal favorites. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her Shanghai ribeye steak, a roughly 12-14 oz steak, cooked and seasoned to perfection. (She said it was one of the best steaks she's had in Houston.) I opted for a green curry chicken dish which was full of flavor, and a very large portion. Service is spotty. Our server was very impatient, not wanting to wait 10 seconds or so for me to make a wine selection, and walking away before we could order the food. Once we were finally able to get him to take the order, a busser provided very good service thereafter. Music obnoxious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the food was good;KeithDined on 9/28/2013Overall the food was good; however, when taken with the Service just does not seem to be worth the price for a higher end Asian dining experience. We selected this place to celebrate with a nice "dress-up" place for my daughters birthday. I would say the overall experience was similar to a PF Chang's, but the food was priced about 50% more. The service was okay - just not want I would expect from a higher end restaurant. My advice is to save your money and go to PF Chang's or another higher end Asian place....
- Embarrassing bad serviceLuvfabfoodVIPDined on 9/28/2013Out for a nice dinner on a Saturday night. Seated at 7pm. Restaurant was relatively empty and we commented on that. Waiters walking around yet no one would stop to greet us or take drink order until 19-15 minutes after sitting there we stopped someone. Throughout the meal we had to ask for more tea each time our glasses had sat there empty. We would ask for sweet n low and he would bring one packet, so this repeated itself about 6-7 times during the meal. You would think an empty glass would mean bring more, but no. Time for dessert and coffee and instead of asking us if we wanted anything he just put the check on the table. Really unbelievable!
- Fantastic, as usualStephandMattDined on 9/22/2013My husband and I live in the Woodlands but try to make a special trip on occasion to enjoy the weekend brunch at Gigis. The dumplings are so fantastic and the service is always excellent. I love the ambiance, the service is always on point and the food always impresses. Keep doing what you're doing Gigi, we love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Fit for Celebrating A BirthdayBirthdayDinerDined on 9/21/2013I took my husband here to celebrate his birthday with our best friends. The menu was very limited and we had a hard time selecting something. The restaurant is pretty but dark and very quiet. We went late Saturday night thinking it would be a fun, vibrant scene. That was not the case. It was very quiet and most diners left shortly after completing their meals. No one stayed to socialize. There were maybe five other tables there besides us. Our waiter was great, but it wasn't enough to make up for the limited menu and overall experience. This might be a good date spot because it's quiet and you can get to know someone. We left after eating and went next door to another restaurant for drinks and dessert and had a great time. Would not return.Special Features:
- I arrived at GiGi"s with highnoplateuntastedDined on 9/21/2013I arrived at GiGi"s with high expectations, but other than the Filet Mignon Satay, which arrived with a wonderful dipping sauce, the food was simply OK and the prices far too high for what was delivered. In a city like Houston where quality restaurants can be found at every price point, there's no time to waste at a place like Gigi's.
- Great food, original and traditionaMissyk00VIPDined on 9/19/2013Bit of a rocky start as the hostess would seat us where we wanted. The waiter did and was pretty good at accommodating all our requests throughout dinner. Could have checked in a bit more and wasn't over the top but friendly. The dumplings and potstickers were fantastic. We ordered 5 different dishes and all were good. The best in my opinion was the lamb, filet, and green curry chicken. Desserts weren't anything special but sorbet was good for little something sweet. I don't usually think of desserts at Asian restaurants anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gigi's Asian BistroLaurenVIPDined on 9/14/2013Despite the bad ratings online, the food was well prepared & tasty. A bit pricey though.Special Features:
- Good but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2013I'm not one of those people who feels like you have to get a mountain of food to be worthwhile. That said, Gigi's felt a bit like a rip off, and that their prices were motivated more by paying Galleria rent than anything else. The atmosphere was nice, if empty. The service was prompt and friendly. The food was delicious. But $12 for a side of greenbeans? $10 for 5 tiny fried spring rolls the size of my thumb? I've eaten at many fine restaurants, and didn't have problems with the pricepoint because it felt deserved. It didn't feel that way at Gigi's. I'd go again if someone else was paying, but even then I'd suggest going somewhere else to spend that kind of money.Special Features:
- Excellent Peking DuckCrazyTravelVIPDined on 9/6/2013I passed on the lunch menu which looked great and went for the $30 Peking Duck - it was worth every cent!Special Features:
- The decor in the restauranthrwfoodieDined on 9/1/2013The decor in the restaurant is gorgeous, but the food was just way too salty. I think I drank 2 liters of water after leaving Gigi's - it was hard to guage how flavorful the food was because I felt like I was eating a pile of salt (or maybe MSG, I'm not sure). I gave it two stars because it wasn't inedible, but that's a pretty low threshold to cross.
- Restaurant or Air-Raid Shelter?InsideLoopDinersDined on 8/29/2013If you plan to dine here one weekday evening, as we did, I suggest you bring your own flashlight. This is a dark and dreary black box of a restaurant. Flickering candles seemingly provide the only lighting to the cavenous setting of white-cloth dining tables. Remarkably, the entrance to the restaurant from valet parking ($7) is unmarked of any GiGi's signage . . . guests presented with the dilemma must open a large glass door to a small bar and inquire of the bartender if in fact this is the entrance to GiGi's. The Asian fushion fare nevertheless was generally good, although hardly justifying the $300 bill for four presented at the end of the evening. Perhaps it's a cherrier place for lunch diners taking a break from Galleria shopping.
- Wonderful ambiancekluketxDined on 8/26/2013It's hard to find ambiance in the Galleria area, and this was perfect. I can't wait for a chance to return. The service and food was excellent, and although we sat in the large dining room we could easily talk and listen to each each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too expensive definite not worthOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/25/2013too expensive for too small protion food is not that great 1 word suck