Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
1028 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 3122668999
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
Unbelievable food, efficient & fun service, & the highest quality products available, served in an exciting setting, seems like a simple equation for a great Saturday night out. The difference at Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse is that this is a nightly occurrence with the same excitement & weekend energy found every day of the week. As thousands before have discovered, it only takes one trip to get you hooked.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
321 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (184)hot spot (131)fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (106)vibrant bar scene (106)good for groups (99)great for outdoor dining (95)notable wine list (95)great for lunch (85)romantic (73)late-night find (43)great for brunch (34)scenic view (32)kid-friendly (28)Show More
- Great people watching but priceytxvegetarianDined on 10/25/2014Lovely Oct night so sat outside and watch all of the 'beautiful' people. Excellent service and my husband said his bone in filet was amazing. I, being vegetarian, had the option of a $10 potato. Or spinach. Seriously. Why not have a decent vegetarian option, even in a steak house? From TX and even WE do that :)Special Features:
- Good dinner, great quality steakmegfromtnDined on 10/25/2014We dined in this weekend. The service and food were both good. Large portion sizes. I asked for mine to be boxed up. Great for a late night snack but when I got home realized my sides that we asked to have included were not included. I was really looking forward to that delicious creamed spinach and mushrooms.Special Features:
- KodyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great Chicago classic icon, fun people watching from outdoor tables, outstanding service!Special Features:
- Great restaurantDisappointedVIPDined on 10/21/2014Ambiance is always "alive". Server was excellent. Food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical High End Steak HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014You will benefit from making a reservation if trying to get in at a high volume hour. The steak was cooked to order and our table split it 3 ways. The portions are large. We had sauteed spinach and broccoli which was very tasty. The highlight was dessert. Don't bother with anything other than the macadamia turtle pie for your first visit. It was pretty amazing. Yes, it is extremely large, but well worth it. Share some with the table next to you, they might just pick up your tab :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectEd303Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent service!!!!! Food was impeccable!!!!!! Gibson made my 11th year anniversary a great success.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014would recommend to anyone that likes steak and great food!Special Features:
- Ridiculous...in a good way!3rdGenCollinsDined on 10/17/2014We absolutely loved our experience. Personally, I prefer Gibson's over Peter Luger's in NY or any other meal I've ever had for that matter. I would make a reservation well in advance, only because you'll need to.Special Features:
- Will not be disappointed!SparkyArizonaDined on 10/17/2014We were a party of 4 and our reservation time was adhered to promptly. Our table was outstanding and were seated by a window. Our waiter, David, was informative and assisted by make great recommendations for dinner. The steaks are so tender. For dessert we had the Banana Nut cake. It was so large that it fed the 4 of us and we were be to share it with another couple that were there also celebrating a 50th birthday. Yes, there was enough to still bring home and have a midnight snack. Thank you, Gibsons, for making our celebration the best it could be! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed.luv2eatDined on 10/17/2014The ambiance was fantastic! The waiter was one of the best we have ever had! But, our expensive steaks and everything on the plate was room temperature. We were so disappointed as we had looked forward to eating here after several people told us it was wonderful. In retrospect, we should have said something to the waiter sooner, but we were with other people and didn't want to complain. When we were finished, we all said the same thing...our food had not been hot, not the steaks, not the potato, not the sauce. This is an upscale restaurant and there should be better control over sending out cold food.Special Features:
- Great steakhouseRidingRealtorDined on 10/16/2014If you love steak then go to this place. It is the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingmolynn79Dined on 10/16/2014I dined at Gibson's last Thursday evening. The service and food were both outstanding. When I made my reservation I noted some dietary restrictions and was pleased that my server was informed. He did a great job helping me to avoid foods that were off limits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgilmoreOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/14/2014I Love this place, I keep coming, I always get good service. However this last time waiter was not friendly and he once threw on to our table the utensils. Overall, amazing food. Will be back soon- hope to get a better service.Special Features:
- ShellyDined on 10/13/2014We had a reservation for 7:30pm and I had noted in the comments that we were celebrating a Birthday. We weren't seated until close to 8pm, which I didn't think much of since it was Chicago but I was still a bit irritated. The hostess could see this and passed it on to the person seating us. When we arrived to our table there was a $17 appetizer already awaiting us! This was a nice surprise. The food was excellent and when we were finished eating they surprised our son with a HUGE piece of pecan pie and sang Happy Birthday. Of course, the pie was on the house too!!Special Features:
- Great placeKMV22Dined on 10/13/2014This was a great place to enjoy a wonderfully made steak to order!!! Loved the open table sharing of the side dishes and a GREAT wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly, the steak disappointedNYTuckVIPDined on 10/13/2014Clubby and old-school but bright. The staff were professional and very attentive. Waiter was great. The spicy lobster artichoke was quite nice. The "show-piece" disappointed. The 48 oz. Porterhouse for two was unseasoned, tough and grisly- Medium rare but obviously left too long on one side then a quick sear on the other- the rim which was over 1/4 inch brown on one side and non-existent on the other. It was way too chewy. Perhaps we got a bad piece. It should have been seasoned. I feel wet-aging is inferior to dry in-house aging we grew up at the legendary "Peter Luger's" in Brooklyn. It just did not have the mouth-feel and earthiness we expected. Too bad. If I was told this was an aberration, I would give it another try.Special Features:
- Higher expectationsHataDined on 10/12/2014We took some friends and talked it up a good bit only to be let down on the steak temperature. All 4 of our steaks were cooked incorrectly - 2 of them not even close and had to be sent back. That always causes a break in a group dinner where 2 of us had our food and 2 didn't. A big let down from a place expected to do better. The free cheesecake given as an apology was just average. The staff was nice. Have been here before and experienced better, so still recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We went to Gibson's to celebrate our anniversary. The food was excellent, but the atmosphere was far too busy and loud to be considered romantic. We got off to a poor start when they seated us in the aisle such that I was concerned the people flying by might knock over my wine. However, upon request they quickly moved us to a booth which was much better and from there the evening went very well. Once they realized we weren't happy, they fixed it, and I give them top marks for that. The service was very good, the food was very good, but for me once was enough here, I am not likely to return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable celebrationSuzemurfDined on 10/12/2014Food was superb and servings were large enough that we could share. Service was a little slow initially, but was great after we got our bread. Tables are a little too close together to provide enough privacy.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!DoubleEDined on 10/11/2014Everything was incredible! My left over peppercorn filet mignon was even superb cold 2 days later as a grab and go snack. Crab avocado appie- delish! No room for dessert! Steak oscar- wow! Strip steak yummy and best ever garlic mashed! All the way from Ontario, best ever steak house we have ever visited!! Gibsons... You do it all right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014carl was our waiter. he was very attentive to our needs. also the waiter working with him were great. I don't remember there names.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKdavek521Dined on 10/10/2014Nothing really bad but nothing really exceptional kind of on the expensive side for what it really is.Special Features:
- Un-fricken-believabletjhlawDined on 10/4/2014In a city of great steak joints Gibson's is the best. We have been trying all the great steak places in Chicago. Gibson's was by far the best steak I have ever eaten. If you go there get the WR's Chicago Cut (its a rib eye). You do not need any blue cheese topping. That steak is amazing all by itself. It is very crowded and busy but the waiters and staff were great. They graciously accommodated a last minute addition to our party of 4 (that made it a party of 5) without making a big deal about the addition. Expensive, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Great experience, pricey steaksYPGuyDined on 10/4/2014I wanted to love Gibson's more - amazing waiter, great food overall, however a few missteps dropped it to a 3. First, for a steak restaurant every steak needs to be perfect, and at my table of 4 three of us had good steaks, while one was a bit bland and uninspiring. And when you pay $50 per steak, you can't help but be disapointed. The other surprise was the asparagus - the most expensive side, and they simply boil large spears with zero flavor. They give you sauce to add, but it can't save it. Otherwise a great experience, but if you're dropping 200+ for a dinner, it needs to be perfect.Special Features:
- Food melts in your mouthDrCansecoDined on 10/2/2014The food melts in your mouth releasing Great taste which overlaps with the Great mood and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DependableLarLarDined on 10/2/2014We live in Ohio, but every time we come to Chicago (once per year) we make sure to have dinner at Gibsons. The food is always excellent and the servers are attentive and jovial. The experience is worth sharing. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceAccurateReviewDined on 10/1/2014As far as food, average to good. My fish was dry. The biggest disappointment was the service. Took between 30 and 45 minutes before he took our order. Never once asked how are food was or if he could get us anything. We had to ask the assistant server for everything. My mom's steak was suppose to be boxed up to take home, they threw it out instead. They comped our meal. Just a joke all the way around. This was just a classic example of how service can ruin an evening. I didn't come for a comped meal, we came for good food and service. We didn't want to end our trip on a sour note so stayed one more night and went to Joe's Seafood and told them what a bad experience we had at Gibson's. We had a top notch meal and service. Thank's Joe's !
- so sososoexperienceDined on 9/30/2014expensive, so so service, bar crowded with corp schlebs...pass on bar table.Special Features:
- Excellent Steak and ServiceLuv2greeneggDined on 9/29/2014Everything was fantastic, place the busy, W.R. Ribeye was cooked perfect and melted in your mouth our waiter "Elvis" was over top fantastic. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great for lunchcityplaceVIPDined on 9/29/2014We ate outdoors on a warm day and it was great. Lunch was delicious. We love the salmon. Great deal at lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to parnewfriedchickenfanDined on 9/28/2014Gibsons was recommended to us by friends as a great steakhouse classic for Chicago and I must say while the restaurant is beautiful, the food was expensive and not up to par. 3 steaks ordered medium were all different inside - the filet was overcooked, 1 ribeye was true medium the other was on the rare side of medium rare. Also the filet was super salty as were the mashed potatoes. Service was ok - but not notable the desserts are amazingly HUGE but again not particularly notable in taste. A showy place for sure - with questionable quality.Special Features:
- swanVIPDined on 9/27/2014One of the best steakhouses in the country. Piano player in the bar. Carrot cake dessert can feed 8. Always lively. Popular with vip's as well as locals and tourists. Great drinks as well as steaks.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceCasteDined on 9/25/2014Porter house was fantastic and waitress service was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gibson'saom2VIPDined on 9/24/2014The best steak house in town. They will also serve seafood. Fantastic service and food. Fun!!!! Always happy there.Special Features:
- Excellent SteakhousejmeansDined on 9/23/2014A friend and I went to Gibson's Steakhouse while visiting Chicago because of a glowing recommendation from a coworker. We went in for an early lunch, at around 11:15. From the moment we arrived the service staff was extremely attentive and friendly, it was a beautiful day so we sat outside on their patio which offered a nice view and was very comfortable. I had a cocktail (Moscow Mule) which was perfectly prepared, and a bone-in sirloin steak that was cooked to a perfect Medium-Rare, with a crisply seared exterior. Too often steakhouses overcook a Medium rare order, but Gibson's was not overcooked at all but somehow managed the best sear I've ever had on a steak. It's a bit pricey, but for a special occasion meal I'd highly recommend going.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceIrishGalDined on 9/22/2014Gibsons was recommended to us for a steak by a Chicago cab driver and he was so right. Best steak I've ever had, the guy serving us was excellent. Friendly place and extremely busy, we went on Monday at 9.30 as it was the only reservation left and it was packed with people being turned away. The only downside was waiting in the overly packed bar which you couldn't get to. Other than that the food was amazing and service to match. I wish I had of had room to eat some of the enormous cakes passing us by!! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meaty-ocre At BestDavidVIPDined on 9/22/2014An "average" experience at best - food was fair; service was rushed and the atmosphere was unpleasant (way too much noise). Gibson's may be a powerful steakhouse name in Chicago, but there are far better options out there - I will not be returning.
- Great restaurant in ChicagoGreatLunchVIPDined on 9/20/2014My father and best recommend us to come and eat , was a memorable experience. Service outstanding, the stake was delicious bone in filet. The Crab appetizer to die for. watch when you order desert, they are huge!!Special Features:
- Perfect ServiceMNinChIDined on 9/20/2014Impeccable service, as always. Reliable good food - even the salad & bread. The filet sliders for lunch used to be a little more delicious, but the burger more than made up for it.Special Features:
- PerfectILFoodieDined on 9/19/2014It was my 2nd time dining at Gibson's. It was better than I remembered. A perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.