Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
1028 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gibsonssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (312) 266-8999
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago
Unbelievable food, efficient & fun service, & the highest quality products available, served in an exciting setting, seems like a simple equation for a great Saturday night out. The difference at Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse is that this is a nightly occurrence with the same excitement & weekend energy found every day of the week. As thousands before have discovered, it only takes one trip to get you hooked.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
305 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)hot spot (120)fit for foodies (117)vibrant bar scene (106)good for groups (101)neighborhood gem (94)notable wine list (86)great for outdoor dining (77)great for lunch (77)romantic (59)late-night find (41)scenic view (29)great for brunch (27)kid-friendly (25)Show More
- dutchDined on 11/20/2014Great place and at the heart of Rush Street.................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great food & serviceBlondieVIPDined on 11/19/2014Gibson's has been open for 25 years in Chicago for a good reason: the food, service & ambiance are consistently terrific. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes for GibsonfourmybDined on 11/14/2014A Chicago Miracle Mile mainstay with excellent food, particularly their steaks. Come hungry as the portions are huge. Also, this is one of the only restaurants that encourages the sharing of salads and entrees. The best part is they they do not charge extra for sharing. We did a 4 pm Friday dinner and found it to be more enjoyable since the restaurant was not full with customers and staff had the time to really be more personable. This is an incredibly popular restaurant so make your reservation at least 7-10 days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StepdecatDined on 11/11/2014Excellent food and service, enjoy going to Gibson's everytime I am in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slightly rushedEnjoysdiningoutDined on 11/10/2014The food was EXCELLENT and the server knew his stuff. The only dissappointment was we felt a bit rushed. We hadn't finished our salads when the whole main course came out and the steak had to be eaten kinda cold because we were still working on the last course...such a shame because it was really really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meet and greet.KatahdinDined on 11/9/2014Met My brother and his companion from Florida.. We had a great time good food and nice window view table My wife and I will be back. I would recommend. Good value.Special Features:
- Good not GreatLuvs2eatsteakDined on 11/9/2014Decor old school classic. Our waiter was very good without hovering and being annoying. I can only say based on what we had: old fashion cocktail was very good, simple chopped salad one with bleu cheese the other vinaigrette good. Sides and desserts should be shared. My son and I both had the WR cut steak and it was good but not the best I've had. We shared a baked potato with butter & sour cream(no chives or bacon)ok not great. Again share the sides and desserts: homemade cherry pie with vanilla ice cream pretty good. A giant piece of carrot cake enough for 4-5 people(I kid you not) was very good. The hilight of the evening was being with my son who took me to Chicago to see the San Jose Sharks play the Blackhawks. What a son!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!JCGdinersDined on 11/8/2014Succulent, perfectly cooked steaks and top-notch service!Special Features:
- Same table 3 trips in a row!LoriDined on 11/8/2014Not only is the food AMAZING, but they remember your preferences! We like a certain table and dining time when we visit Chicago Gibson's has come through all three visits! It's a huge treat for our college student and a time for making great family memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Chicago classicSteveFromMNDined on 11/7/2014Out-of-towners need to put Gibson's on their bucket list of steakhouses to eat at in Chicago. I had the New York Sirloin with the pepper crust and it was delicious. Just the right spice to complement the Markham cabernet we selected. My wife had the Halibut and it too was outstanding. Our servers were attentive and very helpful. We had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Thank youMaddieJDined on 11/6/2014It was a special evening for our family and we had so much fun. Food was great - service even better. The entire team who took care of us were fantastic. Gibsons is our favorite restaurant to people watch; have great food and always the best service.Special Features:
- The BestBosscatDined on 11/4/2014Best food in Chicago...Steak was awesome, sides were just as good. Classic Steakhouse with alot of energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!mlearoVIPDined on 11/4/2014I brought a group of customers to Gibson's on North Rush for dinner and they exceeded all expectations. Everything was outstanding from the wait staff (ask for Elvis) and wine list all the way through the menu.Special Features:
- Gibbons is GreatJDeetroitDined on 10/30/2014Fun atmosphere with great service great food and a lively atmosphere. Come hungry for any occasion ... Your guaranteed to leave happy and full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful dining experienceBlondieVIPDined on 10/30/2014The enclosed porch on the north side of the building is a perfect place to observe the Rush Street action while enjoying a consistently excellent meal. We dine there at least weekly, & the service is impeccable. All of the servers are professional, helpful & upbeat, but our favorite is Zach. The car attendants are also terrific. Highly recommend Gibson's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerDined on 10/28/2014my daughter and i had a wonderful experience for lunch after a stressful day. the staff was great, the food was great, the desserts phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great people watching but priceytxvegetarianDined on 10/25/2014Lovely Oct night so sat outside and watch all of the 'beautiful' people. Excellent service and my husband said his bone in filet was amazing. I, being vegetarian, had the option of a $10 potato. Or spinach. Seriously. Why not have a decent vegetarian option, even in a steak house? From TX and even WE do that :)Special Features:
- Good dinner, great quality steakmegfromtnDined on 10/25/2014We dined in this weekend. The service and food were both good. Large portion sizes. I asked for mine to be boxed up. Great for a late night snack but when I got home realized my sides that we asked to have included were not included. I was really looking forward to that delicious creamed spinach and mushrooms.Special Features:
- KodyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great Chicago classic icon, fun people watching from outdoor tables, outstanding service!Special Features:
- Great restaurantDisappointedVIPDined on 10/21/2014Ambiance is always "alive". Server was excellent. Food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical High End Steak HouseEatWhileOutDined on 10/19/2014You will benefit from making a reservation if trying to get in at a high volume hour. The steak was cooked to order and our table split it 3 ways. The portions are large. We had sauteed spinach and broccoli which was very tasty. The highlight was dessert. Don't bother with anything other than the macadamia turtle pie for your first visit. It was pretty amazing. Yes, it is extremely large, but well worth it. Share some with the table next to you, they might just pick up your tab :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectEd303Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent service!!!!! Food was impeccable!!!!!! Gibson made my 11th year anniversary a great success.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014would recommend to anyone that likes steak and great food!Special Features:
- Ridiculous...in a good way!3rdGenCollinsDined on 10/17/2014We absolutely loved our experience. Personally, I prefer Gibson's over Peter Luger's in NY or any other meal I've ever had for that matter. I would make a reservation well in advance, only because you'll need to.Special Features:
- Will not be disappointed!SparkyArizonaDined on 10/17/2014We were a party of 4 and our reservation time was adhered to promptly. Our table was outstanding and were seated by a window. Our waiter, David, was informative and assisted by make great recommendations for dinner. The steaks are so tender. For dessert we had the Banana Nut cake. It was so large that it fed the 4 of us and we were be to share it with another couple that were there also celebrating a 50th birthday. Yes, there was enough to still bring home and have a midnight snack. Thank you, Gibsons, for making our celebration the best it could be! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed.luv2eatDined on 10/17/2014The ambiance was fantastic! The waiter was one of the best we have ever had! But, our expensive steaks and everything on the plate was room temperature. We were so disappointed as we had looked forward to eating here after several people told us it was wonderful. In retrospect, we should have said something to the waiter sooner, but we were with other people and didn't want to complain. When we were finished, we all said the same thing...our food had not been hot, not the steaks, not the potato, not the sauce. This is an upscale restaurant and there should be better control over sending out cold food.Special Features:
- Great steakhouseRidingRealtorDined on 10/16/2014If you love steak then go to this place. It is the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingmolynn79Dined on 10/16/2014I dined at Gibson's last Thursday evening. The service and food were both outstanding. When I made my reservation I noted some dietary restrictions and was pleased that my server was informed. He did a great job helping me to avoid foods that were off limits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgilmoreOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/14/2014I Love this place, I keep coming, I always get good service. However this last time waiter was not friendly and he once threw on to our table the utensils. Overall, amazing food. Will be back soon- hope to get a better service.Special Features:
- ShellyDined on 10/13/2014We had a reservation for 7:30pm and I had noted in the comments that we were celebrating a Birthday. We weren't seated until close to 8pm, which I didn't think much of since it was Chicago but I was still a bit irritated. The hostess could see this and passed it on to the person seating us. When we arrived to our table there was a $17 appetizer already awaiting us! This was a nice surprise. The food was excellent and when we were finished eating they surprised our son with a HUGE piece of pecan pie and sang Happy Birthday. Of course, the pie was on the house too!!Special Features:
- Great placeKMV22Dined on 10/13/2014This was a great place to enjoy a wonderfully made steak to order!!! Loved the open table sharing of the side dishes and a GREAT wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly, the steak disappointedNYTuckVIPDined on 10/13/2014Clubby and old-school but bright. The staff were professional and very attentive. Waiter was great. The spicy lobster artichoke was quite nice. The "show-piece" disappointed. The 48 oz. Porterhouse for two was unseasoned, tough and grisly- Medium rare but obviously left too long on one side then a quick sear on the other- the rim which was over 1/4 inch brown on one side and non-existent on the other. It was way too chewy. Perhaps we got a bad piece. It should have been seasoned. I feel wet-aging is inferior to dry in-house aging we grew up at the legendary "Peter Luger's" in Brooklyn. It just did not have the mouth-feel and earthiness we expected. Too bad. If I was told this was an aberration, I would give it another try.Special Features:
- Higher expectationsHataVIPDined on 10/12/2014We took some friends and talked it up a good bit only to be let down on the steak temperature. All 4 of our steaks were cooked incorrectly - 2 of them not even close and had to be sent back. That always causes a break in a group dinner where 2 of us had our food and 2 didn't. A big let down from a place expected to do better. The free cheesecake given as an apology was just average. The staff was nice. Have been here before and experienced better, so still recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We went to Gibson's to celebrate our anniversary. The food was excellent, but the atmosphere was far too busy and loud to be considered romantic. We got off to a poor start when they seated us in the aisle such that I was concerned the people flying by might knock over my wine. However, upon request they quickly moved us to a booth which was much better and from there the evening went very well. Once they realized we weren't happy, they fixed it, and I give them top marks for that. The service was very good, the food was very good, but for me once was enough here, I am not likely to return.Special Features:
- Enjoyable celebrationSuzemurfDined on 10/12/2014Food was superb and servings were large enough that we could share. Service was a little slow initially, but was great after we got our bread. Tables are a little too close together to provide enough privacy.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!DoubleEDined on 10/11/2014Everything was incredible! My left over peppercorn filet mignon was even superb cold 2 days later as a grab and go snack. Crab avocado appie- delish! No room for dessert! Steak oscar- wow! Strip steak yummy and best ever garlic mashed! All the way from Ontario, best ever steak house we have ever visited!! Gibsons... You do it all right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014carl was our waiter. he was very attentive to our needs. also the waiter working with him were great. I don't remember there names.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKdavek521Dined on 10/10/2014Nothing really bad but nothing really exceptional kind of on the expensive side for what it really is.Special Features:
- Un-fricken-believabletjhlawDined on 10/4/2014In a city of great steak joints Gibson's is the best. We have been trying all the great steak places in Chicago. Gibson's was by far the best steak I have ever eaten. If you go there get the WR's Chicago Cut (its a rib eye). You do not need any blue cheese topping. That steak is amazing all by itself. It is very crowded and busy but the waiters and staff were great. They graciously accommodated a last minute addition to our party of 4 (that made it a party of 5) without making a big deal about the addition. Expensive, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Great experience, pricey steaksYPGuyDined on 10/4/2014I wanted to love Gibson's more - amazing waiter, great food overall, however a few missteps dropped it to a 3. First, for a steak restaurant every steak needs to be perfect, and at my table of 4 three of us had good steaks, while one was a bit bland and uninspiring. And when you pay $50 per steak, you can't help but be disapointed. The other surprise was the asparagus - the most expensive side, and they simply boil large spears with zero flavor. They give you sauce to add, but it can't save it. Otherwise a great experience, but if you're dropping 200+ for a dinner, it needs to be perfect.Special Features: