126 E 7th Street
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gianonyc.com/
- Phone: 2126737200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Niccoli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Giano can host your private event seating 64 or up to 120 people for a non seated event. Our garden is available during seasonal months. We host showers, weddings, birthday and corporate parties. We welcome your special needs and can cater a menu based on your event.
A word from Giano
This is the story of Paolo and Matteo, two guys from Milano who had an idea. Let's take the the heart of our tradition and fuse it with the exciting innovations happening in Italian cooking, they said. Inspired by the Roman deity Janus who looked to the future as well as the past, Giano respects tradition and embraces the future. Enter Simone Bonelli. After 4 years at a Michelin starred restaurant in Italy, he came to NY to where it took him about 6 months to earn 2 stars from Frank Bruni at a publication you may have heard of, The New York Times. As executive chef and co-owner, Chef Bonelli blends cutting edge technique & gorgeous flavors with outstanding presentation- and for those of you who think you've seen it all, trust us, you haven't. We like to think of our little corner in the east village as quite special, and hope you will tooContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Giano reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (31)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (26)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (15)good for groups (13)notable wine list (12)late-night find (7)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Went on a first date here, my friend needed gluten-free items and she was able to find what she needed and I absolutely loved the food! Bravo Giano, bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was really cute. The waitstaff were amazing but the only downside is the noise. Everything and everyone seems amplified so it was hard to hear at my own table of six.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!HrsecrzyDined on 8/20/2014Lovely ambiance on the patio. Wait staff were attentive and food was incredible !! Went here after reading other reviews on Open Table. Did not disappoint !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Garden, service not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate in the garden on a saturday night. I did not realize there were any specials until I overheard our waiter telling another table about them while we were eating our appetizers (he forgot to tell us). Whenever I needed anything I had to waive my hand until someone in the restaurant saw me and would come outside. The garden is very nice but is forgotten about. Also, on the night we went we were told as we were seated that their credit card machine was broken. The restaurant had my phone number and even called me to confirm, but did not bother informing me about the credit card. Instead they asked all guests to walk a block away to a bodega to pay a $3 fee at an ATM. They should have done something to make up for the inconvenience.
- Lovely dinner al fresco!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014We loved our dinner at Giano. The staff was attentive and helped us find vegetarian options for some of our party, and the pasta was delicious and freshly made. The eggplant appetizer and the salads were terrific. Also, the prices were more than reasonable. We ate outside on the patio and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Fave!PLBNYCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Best italian food in the city run by Milanese. Great wine list at good prices!Special Features:
- AwesomedowneasterAlexaDined on 7/25/2014Service was great, super cool design and ambiance, great food.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!SaraDined on 7/20/2014I have been here twice and highly recommend it. The atmosphere is wonderful, especially out back when dining in the garden. The food is delicious, and I don't say that lightly, given that I lived in Italy for three years. I have already recommended the restaurant to several different friends and will continue to do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good for what it isJustTellinLikeItIsVIPDined on 7/11/2014Mainly a pasta joint. Flexible menu which was nice. Hostess was extremely pleasant and accommodating, and the waiter was super Italian (and friendly). Just don't go in expecting a huge wow factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious EVERY TIME!JoBiDined on 7/5/2014My friend and I go to Giano every few months and basically melt over how delicious the 4-cheese gnocci taste. All of the food is always fresh. The owner is super funny, friendly, and awesome. The ambiance is beautiful. The experience is always a 10. We really love it here!Special Features:
- Great ItalianSaraDined on 6/21/2014Really great Italian place that I will definitely return to. We sat out back in the garden which was really nice for a summer night. The food here was on point. I ordered the Baccala' alla Livornese con polenta. The fish was really delicious and the polenta was crispy and crunchy...awesome! My friend ordered the Filetto di salmone con piselli e fave and it was amazing. The salmon was seared and crispy on the outside, which I love, and the peas and fava beans were very flavorful. I can't wait to come back and try the pasta.Special Features:
- Great, reasonable ItalianLeffty29Dined on 6/21/2014Top-notch Italian food at very reasonable prices. Sad there was no Caesar Salad on the menu, but otherwise menu and food were great. Service was nice, and I appreciated that they brought a lot of bread to the table. Prices also reasonable for NYC Italian -- $14-$16/pasta dish.Special Features:
- Quaint Quiet FindAiveliraDined on 6/21/2014This spot is a terrific tucked away gem right off the corner of 7th and A. Indoors is very romantic with candles in the recessed spots along a brick wall, and when weather is fine they have a garden seating area that is just lovely and secluded. The food is fresh and they have homemade pastas which are fantastic! Desert is always a treat as well.Special Features:
- Manhattan's Best ItalianpghgalDined on 6/20/2014Giano is the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy. Great price point, too.Special Features:
- dartmouthivy05Dined on 6/18/2014amazing food, amazing ambience, very romantic/cozy place. I definitely recommend. On this particular day they were either short-staffed or something was going on because the service wasn't as quick as I would expect. However, they definitely were super friendly and accommodating! I would come here again for pasta without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVR26Dined on 6/8/2014Food and service was fantastic, the garden area in the back was peaceful and quiet for a Sunday night dinner.Special Features:
- I'll be back!FoodieDined on 6/7/2014Excellent, food, excellent and friendly staff, wonderful ambience. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- GianoLidesDined on 5/24/2014Giano is a place I have been to numerous times... easily more than 20. The food is always amazing, service friendly and outstanding. Giano is easily one of my favorite spots in NYC. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, Fun, and TastybiggayicecreamDined on 5/23/2014Giano was a great dining experience. We tried their special appetizer, a parmesan cheese creme brulee, which was unique and delicious, albeit a bit rich. Our waiter was very attentive and enthusiastic -- he described every dish to us with great passion, and he had a good sense of humor without being over-the-top. At 6pm on a Friday, it was empty, but filled up as the night wore on... even so, it was comfortable throughout. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Love Giano!HootyhuDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant was recommended to us on our last trip to NYC. When we returned for an anniversary get-away, Giano was on the top of our list for dining. We will always go to Giano when in NYC! A dining experience everyone will enjoy.Special Features:
- PipesDined on 5/18/2014The decor was interesting. It was laid out to look like you were in different restaurants. Casual/retro on one side and more formal/ romantic on the other. We had a few appetizers and a few glasses of wine. The host suggested a few wines that would pair well w/ the food that we were eating. The food was tasty but could have been served warmer. Had read great reviews on the parmesan brule and it was good but did not blow me away. The portions were good sized. Overall, the host (owner) was very cordial and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine authentic ItalianpghgalDined on 5/11/2014The most authentic Italian food I've eaten in all of NYC. Delicious. Amazing. Excellent. Will be back.Special Features:
- Not Worth The Price!DineOutNYCDined on 5/6/2014I brought my niece here who was visiting from out-of-town because the reviews on yelp were very positive. The appetizers were fine. I had the fried calamari which was delicious -- not overcooked or tough. My niece had the Imported Bufala mozzarella, tomato and basil which she really enjoyed. My main course was salmon fillet served with peas and fava beans. First off, the salmon portion was very small with overkill on peas and fava beans. Also the salmon which I asked for medium-well, was on the dry side. My niece's main course was homemade square spaghetti with colatura. She was less than impressed with it. The wine was very good. For the somewhat pricey bill, it was a disappointment.
- The following 321 reviews are from the Giano reviews archive.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014it was my first date night with GF. macaroni was delicious. wine recommendation was nice. one of the restaurant owner was very kindly and friendly. thanks Giano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best East Village ItalianLive2dineDined on 4/25/2014My go-to place for excellent, reliable Italian food in downtown Manhattan. The menu strikes a rewarding balance between Italian comfort dishes and dishes with exciting innovative twists. The price point is excellent. The ambiance is warm and welcoming, and the staff will make you feel at home. The pastas are all made in-house and it's virtually impossible to order the wrong thing here. In the warmer months these superb dishes are best enjoyed in their charming garden.Special Features:
- Most DeliciousFoodEaterDined on 4/25/2014Homemade pasta! The ravioli was delicious, as was everything else. But I kept thinking about the ravioli the next day. We had appetizers, pasta and a wonderful cheesecake with amaretto cookie crust - divine. Seriously, a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Giano restaurant was amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014This was an amazing restaurant with great ambiance. I would definitely recommend it for my friends and family.Special Features:
- Love their foodJamieVIPDined on 3/30/2014I love, love, love Giano's food! My boyfriend and I stumbled across this great restaurant last year when we lived in the East Village and even now that we live in the West Village, we continue to travel across town to visit Giano. The pasta is so fresh and delicious every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MangiaproducerDined on 3/22/2014Simply great Pasta at reasonable prices that our waiter states is made fresh daily on premise. My wife had the spinach and ricotta ravioli and I had the gnocchi and both were outstanding. In fact probably right there with the best I have had. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Unexpected Anniversary TreatMidCenturyModernistDined on 3/22/2014Merely seeking a romantic fine restaurant to celebrate on our 1st anniversary visit to New York, what we found instead was 'Our Place.' Warm greetings began on the sidewalk. The humorous and attentive Paolo expertly guided us through the menu. We began with the decadent Parmigiano Brûlée. My partner loved his Bigoli Al Ragu D'Agnello E Noci Tostate (thick pasta with lamb ragout) - I tried and loved it - and I'm not a great lamb fan. My Lasagna Bolognese was other-worldly: it will change your assumptions about what lasagna can be, as will the exquisite Tiramisu. The genuine warmth of the staff spills over onto the customers (a couple of whom dropped by to wish us happy anniversary), after the bartender arrived with complementary digestif.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great...PitaDined on 3/21/2014I appreciate that all then pasta is homemade but none of the dishes we ordered were super outstanding. My date had the four cheese gnocchi and I had the ancient large noodle pasta with lamb ragout - and like I said - both good but not amazing. The appetizers were better than the main course - meatballs were tasty and the arugula salad was probably my favorite dish of the evening.Special Features:
- They had some interestingDiner722VIPDined on 3/21/2014They had some interesting specials which we tried and loved! Service was great and very friendly. Really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great serviceAmandaDined on 3/8/2014We came here as a group of 6 while visiting NYC for my birthday. We made reservations only a few hrs in advance but was able to get a table for a larger group. Our food was very very good and it came out quickly! The service was also wonderful, we loved our waiter (and his accent!). I would definitely recommend as a place for a romantic Italian meal (and at a good price- not too expensive). The atmosphere and ambiance was also really nice, we all commented on how we loved the decor and the feel of the restaurant. We would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014I LOVE this restaurant - one of my favorites in the city!! Right off, you can tell the people who work there have such sweet hearts and are real Italianos! The burrata cheese tastes like it is flown in from Italy...and I think it might be! The pomodoro spaghetti with pesto is Out of this World - one of the best in the city. And the wine is yummy as well. The decorative ambiance is bit on the eclectic side (some might love it or get thrown off by it) but the energy is very warm and cozy. Must try this place out!! Thanks again, Giano!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giano rates a WOW!!!ElliottDined on 2/20/2014Giano's Restaurant was wonderful. The food was amazing, the service was perfect and the frendliness of the staff made a big difference, Roberta greeted us cordially and Paolo answered every question we had. The fresh pasta was scrumptous with delicate sauces. The tiramisu was among the best we've tasted including those in Italia. This restaurant is a "must go."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best little Italian placeCherine23Dined on 2/16/2014Guano is my absolute favorite restaurant to eat at when I'm in New York. It's authentic Italian food, but they add their own spice and twist to it all to make it completely original and delicious meals. Plus, they have the best tiramisu I have ever tasted. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nightmare valentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014This was the worse food I have ever paid for in NYC.
- Valentine's DayJAY808Dined on 2/14/2014My experience here was nice, however, I wish the Valentine's day menu had more entree options.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerRoandFamilyDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I visited Giano on Valentine's Day. We were overall very satisfied with our experience. The wine was fairly priced and the food was delicious and came in large portions. For Valentine's Day we ordered from their fixed menu. The service was great and the waiters were very attentive. We would be happy to visit Giano again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendlyMildredDined on 2/7/2014Delicious food, very friendly. Pasta exquisite. Home made pasta. Salad of arugula fresh, so tasty.Special Features: