126 E 7th Street
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gianonyc.com/
- Phone: 2126737200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Niccoli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Giano can host your private event seating 64 or up to 120 people for a non seated event. Our garden is available during seasonal months. We host showers, weddings, birthday and corporate parties. We welcome your special needs and can cater a menu based on your event.
A word from Giano
This is the story of Paolo and Matteo, two guys from Milano who had an idea. Let's take the the heart of our tradition and fuse it with the exciting innovations happening in Italian cooking, they said. Inspired by the Roman deity Janus who looked to the future as well as the past, Giano respects tradition and embraces the future. Enter Simone Bonelli. After 4 years at a Michelin starred restaurant in Italy, he came to NY to where it took him about 6 months to earn 2 stars from Frank Bruni at a publication you may have heard of, The New York Times. As executive chef and co-owner, Chef Bonelli blends cutting edge technique & gorgeous flavors with outstanding presentation- and for those of you who think you've seen it all, trust us, you haven't. We like to think of our little corner in the east village as quite special, and hope you will tooContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Giano reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)romantic (30)fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (15)good for groups (12)notable wine list (12)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- SURPRISE, SURPRISEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I FOUND THIS RESTAURANT SEARCHING THE WEB FOR 'EAST VILLAGE RESTAURANTS'. WHAT A DELIGHT! ALL THE REVIEWS WERE VERY FAVORABLE SO I TOOK A CHANCE, AND FOUND A PLACE I WILL DEFINITELY RETURN TO. PAOLO WAS AS CHARMING AS AN ITALIAN MAN COULD BE, WINE SUGGESTION WAS SPOT ON, AND THE FOOD AND AMBIANCE WERE EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Loved Giano'sLaurieLVIPDined on 10/16/2014It was a balmy fall evening and we chose to sit outside in the garden. The ambiance was lovely and the food even better! Paulo waited on all of us and while service wasn't fast, it wasn't slow either. It just felt like we were eating in the guy's own garden. He was friendly and joked with my out-of-town friends. We ordered the asparagus special as an an appetizer and shared it between the three of us. Because we all wanted some of everything, we chose the two pasta specials, one a risotto, the other a ravioli for the middle along with a spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce. Delicious! For desert, we shared a huge tiramisu and a chocolate molten cake. Would return in a heartbeat and have already recommended Giano to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for the occasion!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014For my girlfriend's birthday, I wanted to go out for a romantic dinner, just the two of us, amidst all the chaos of her other birthday festivities with our friends. Given that criteria, her being a vegetarian, and our shared love of Italian food, Giano struck me as a good pick. It turned out to be the perfect pick. Our server, Paulo, was one of the best waiters I've ever had at any restaurant. The food was absolutely incredible. The atmosphere reminded my girlfriend of her time spent in Rome. Just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I was making reservations from California for my NY foodie coworkers so I had to make everyone happy. We savored EVERYTHING about the restaurant. The moment we walked in the bartender/waitstaff was gracious. The wine,appetizers, meal and dessert was superb. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely space, delicious, fresh foodFonzilisciousDined on 10/10/2014I took a risk and picked this restaurant for a first date, and it was wonderful. The atmosphere is lovely and cheerful, and the waitstaff was fantastic (we had Roberta and she was the sweetest). Attentive and helpful while being unobtrusive and patient. I got the tagliatelle off of the fresh-made pasta menu, and it was delicious. Two entrees with wine came to $54 (before tip), well worth it. I will be back.Special Features:
- Great foodLeffty29Dined on 10/10/2014Great food at a good price. Drinks a bit pricey, but everything else great. Classic italian food with a bit of a modern touch. Great.Special Features:
- Beautiful Anniversary DinnerFooddawgVIPDined on 10/5/2014Great experience. From the friendly way we were greeted at the door like we were old friends thru dessert this place was very good. While I am not a fan of the east village when it comes to dining, Giano was a pleasant surprise. The calamari was perfect, the pasta al dente with the perfect bite and the chocolate lava cake was perfect. As someone who travels to Northern Italy regularly I can honestly say the food was authentic. Great place we will be back and recommend to our friendsSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemOut2EatVIPDined on 10/4/2014Went here for first time, and could not be more pleased. Food was well prepared and reasonably priced. Only complaint that seemed to not have enough wait staff for a full house on a Saturday night. Our waitor was doing a great job but she was covering to many tables.Special Features:
- great food and atmosphere2ofakindDined on 10/4/2014Me and my partner dined at this beautiful small intimate restaurant and loved is simplicity wine menu and service. We enjoyed our waitress who spoke Italian, she was very helpful in making sure we ordered to our liking and even accommodated to making a vegetarian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodoverpricedVIPDined on 10/4/2014I came here twice in one week. Service is excellent, food is outstanding. Only reason I gave it a 4 rating for ambience is because it is a bit loud every time I go, so I cannot hear my friends talk or have a good conversation.Special Features:
- bakedbeans212VIPDined on 10/3/2014Started with the Med Salad and polenta with mushrooms. The polenta was in small crisp cubes and not creamy at all. Little dry. The salad was fine but very heavy on cucubers. The Tuna corquettes were awful. Canned tuna in oil fried in balls. Couldnt even eat 1. The riggatoni was excellent. a decent meal but not one worth returning to.
- Good Prices, Good ServicejoellevandDined on 10/3/2014First things first: we made our reservation for 5:30 and were told on arrival that they don't actually start dinner service until 7. Luckily, the gentleman (owner, I think) was kind enough to seat and serve us himself anyway. The atmosphere was awesome, though the ambient music a little loud. We started with calamari -- one appetizer easily served all three of us! In fact, all the portions are VERY generous! One person ordered an appetizer salad and appetizer eggplant parm--again, all three of us split the salad and there was still leftovers! The eggplant parm was entree sized! My boyfriend ordered the spinach and cheese ravioli in butter sage sauce--it was the best thing on the table! I had the spaghetti pomodoro--sauce was too thick.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute, fun Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Delicious and moderate proportions. Great service from a great upbeat waitor. Very reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic service!!!GodfreyDined on 9/20/2014Dinner of 4 for my girlfriends birthday and we could not have been more impressed with this place. It was not to pack and we were already running late because parking in the neighborhood is horrific but this place made it well worth it. I called in advance and explained the situation and they were so accomodating. The folks in the place are so friendly and our server (Italian accent) was AWESOME. The food was really exeptional as well and we couldn't have been more pleased. We sat inside because it was a chilly night but the spot does have an outside you can eat which was nice. I would recommend a visit to this establishment as it truly was a welcoming experience. GodfreySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back again!JuelzzDined on 9/12/2014Love the ambiance of this restaurant! Steak was amazing and the meatballs!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!ChriscDined on 8/26/2014Went on a first date here, my friend needed gluten-free items and she was able to find what she needed and I absolutely loved the food! Bravo Giano, bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was really cute. The waitstaff were amazing but the only downside is the noise. Everything and everyone seems amplified so it was hard to hear at my own table of six.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!HrsecrzyDined on 8/20/2014Lovely ambiance on the patio. Wait staff were attentive and food was incredible !! Went here after reading other reviews on Open Table. Did not disappoint !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Garden, service not greatVeggieEaterVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate in the garden on a saturday night. I did not realize there were any specials until I overheard our waiter telling another table about them while we were eating our appetizers (he forgot to tell us). Whenever I needed anything I had to waive my hand until someone in the restaurant saw me and would come outside. The garden is very nice but is forgotten about. Also, on the night we went we were told as we were seated that their credit card machine was broken. The restaurant had my phone number and even called me to confirm, but did not bother informing me about the credit card. Instead they asked all guests to walk a block away to a bodega to pay a $3 fee at an ATM. They should have done something to make up for the inconvenience.
- Lovely dinner al fresco!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014We loved our dinner at Giano. The staff was attentive and helped us find vegetarian options for some of our party, and the pasta was delicious and freshly made. The eggplant appetizer and the salads were terrific. Also, the prices were more than reasonable. We ate outside on the patio and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Fave!PLBNYCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Best italian food in the city run by Milanese. Great wine list at good prices!Special Features:
- AwesomedowneasterAlexaDined on 7/25/2014Service was great, super cool design and ambiance, great food.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!SaraDined on 7/20/2014I have been here twice and highly recommend it. The atmosphere is wonderful, especially out back when dining in the garden. The food is delicious, and I don't say that lightly, given that I lived in Italy for three years. I have already recommended the restaurant to several different friends and will continue to do so!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good for what it isJustTellinLikeItIsVIPDined on 7/11/2014Mainly a pasta joint. Flexible menu which was nice. Hostess was extremely pleasant and accommodating, and the waiter was super Italian (and friendly). Just don't go in expecting a huge wow factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious EVERY TIME!JoBiDined on 7/5/2014My friend and I go to Giano every few months and basically melt over how delicious the 4-cheese gnocci taste. All of the food is always fresh. The owner is super funny, friendly, and awesome. The ambiance is beautiful. The experience is always a 10. We really love it here!Special Features:
- The following 334 reviews are from the Giano reviews archive.
- Great ItalianSaraDined on 6/21/2014Really great Italian place that I will definitely return to. We sat out back in the garden which was really nice for a summer night. The food here was on point. I ordered the Baccala' alla Livornese con polenta. The fish was really delicious and the polenta was crispy and crunchy...awesome! My friend ordered the Filetto di salmone con piselli e fave and it was amazing. The salmon was seared and crispy on the outside, which I love, and the peas and fava beans were very flavorful. I can't wait to come back and try the pasta.Special Features:
- Great, reasonable ItalianLeffty29Dined on 6/21/2014Top-notch Italian food at very reasonable prices. Sad there was no Caesar Salad on the menu, but otherwise menu and food were great. Service was nice, and I appreciated that they brought a lot of bread to the table. Prices also reasonable for NYC Italian -- $14-$16/pasta dish.Special Features:
- Quaint Quiet FindAiveliraDined on 6/21/2014This spot is a terrific tucked away gem right off the corner of 7th and A. Indoors is very romantic with candles in the recessed spots along a brick wall, and when weather is fine they have a garden seating area that is just lovely and secluded. The food is fresh and they have homemade pastas which are fantastic! Desert is always a treat as well.Special Features:
- Manhattan's Best ItalianpghgalDined on 6/20/2014Giano is the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy. Great price point, too.Special Features:
- dartmouthivy05Dined on 6/18/2014amazing food, amazing ambience, very romantic/cozy place. I definitely recommend. On this particular day they were either short-staffed or something was going on because the service wasn't as quick as I would expect. However, they definitely were super friendly and accommodating! I would come here again for pasta without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVR26Dined on 6/8/2014Food and service was fantastic, the garden area in the back was peaceful and quiet for a Sunday night dinner.Special Features:
- I'll be back!FoodieDined on 6/7/2014Excellent, food, excellent and friendly staff, wonderful ambience. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- GianoLidesDined on 5/24/2014Giano is a place I have been to numerous times... easily more than 20. The food is always amazing, service friendly and outstanding. Giano is easily one of my favorite spots in NYC. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, Fun, and TastybiggayicecreamDined on 5/23/2014Giano was a great dining experience. We tried their special appetizer, a parmesan cheese creme brulee, which was unique and delicious, albeit a bit rich. Our waiter was very attentive and enthusiastic -- he described every dish to us with great passion, and he had a good sense of humor without being over-the-top. At 6pm on a Friday, it was empty, but filled up as the night wore on... even so, it was comfortable throughout. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Love Giano!HootyhuDined on 5/22/2014This restaurant was recommended to us on our last trip to NYC. When we returned for an anniversary get-away, Giano was on the top of our list for dining. We will always go to Giano when in NYC! A dining experience everyone will enjoy.Special Features:
- PipesDined on 5/18/2014The decor was interesting. It was laid out to look like you were in different restaurants. Casual/retro on one side and more formal/ romantic on the other. We had a few appetizers and a few glasses of wine. The host suggested a few wines that would pair well w/ the food that we were eating. The food was tasty but could have been served warmer. Had read great reviews on the parmesan brule and it was good but did not blow me away. The portions were good sized. Overall, the host (owner) was very cordial and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine authentic ItalianpghgalDined on 5/11/2014The most authentic Italian food I've eaten in all of NYC. Delicious. Amazing. Excellent. Will be back.Special Features:
- Not Worth The Price!DineOutNYCDined on 5/6/2014I brought my niece here who was visiting from out-of-town because the reviews on yelp were very positive. The appetizers were fine. I had the fried calamari which was delicious -- not overcooked or tough. My niece had the Imported Bufala mozzarella, tomato and basil which she really enjoyed. My main course was salmon fillet served with peas and fava beans. First off, the salmon portion was very small with overkill on peas and fava beans. Also the salmon which I asked for medium-well, was on the dry side. My niece's main course was homemade square spaghetti with colatura. She was less than impressed with it. The wine was very good. For the somewhat pricey bill, it was a disappointment.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014it was my first date night with GF. macaroni was delicious. wine recommendation was nice. one of the restaurant owner was very kindly and friendly. thanks Giano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best East Village ItalianLive2dineDined on 4/25/2014My go-to place for excellent, reliable Italian food in downtown Manhattan. The menu strikes a rewarding balance between Italian comfort dishes and dishes with exciting innovative twists. The price point is excellent. The ambiance is warm and welcoming, and the staff will make you feel at home. The pastas are all made in-house and it's virtually impossible to order the wrong thing here. In the warmer months these superb dishes are best enjoyed in their charming garden.Special Features: