10 Art Museum Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21218Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gertrudesbaltimore.com/
- Phone: (410) 889-3399
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 9:00pm Saturday: 10:30am - 9:00pm Sunday: 10:30am - 8:00pm Brunch Menu served on Saturday and Sunday until 3pm Light Fare Menu on Saturday and Sunday from 3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Bill McKinley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: In addition to birthday parties, anniversary celebrations and corporate affairs, Gertrude's hosts many wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and “day after” brunches throughout the year, for groups as small as 20 guests, and as large as 150. You may visit our web site, www.gertrudesbaltimore.com, for more info, or contact John Gilligan at firstname.lastname@example.org (or tel. 410.889.3399 x105).
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Gilligan 4108893399x105
- Entertainment: On Friday nights listen to mellow jazz with Gary Thomas & Friends at Gertrude's from 6 to 8pm, while you enjoy dinner or cocktails in a beautiful and relaxing setting. And the Dottie Tim Jazz Duo plays here on Sundays during our popular brunch, from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm.
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude's Restaurant, located inside the Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA), is where John Shields celebrates Chesapeake cuisine using local foods, in a warm and stylish setting. Chef & owner John Shields, a Baltimore native who is a cookbook author and television cooking show host, named the restaurant after his grandmother, Gertrude Cleary, who taught him to cook as a child. Gertrude's dishes up a sophisticated regional menu of Chesapeake foods and traditions for lunch, dinner, and brunch using local, organic ingredients whenever possible. The restaurant's interior, inspired by life on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, is beautiful & elegant yet comfortable. The wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the museum’s Sculpture Garden floods the open & airy dining room with natural light. During the warmer months, additional seats are available on the terrace surrounding a fountain and reflecting pool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Charles Village ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
413 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (254)special occasion (212)fit for foodies (207)great for brunch (193)neighborhood gem (189)great for lunch (173)romantic (134)scenic view (133)good for groups (110)notable wine list (47)kid-friendly (33)hot spot (25)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- Great service, poor foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I was surprised by the mediocrity of my meal. I had scrambled eggs, hominy, chicken sausage. Tiny corn muffins and biscuits were served for the table. Every single item was bland and close to tasteless. When and if I go back, I'll try one of the specials for the day. The waitress was friendly and efficient without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Gertrude's the GemDelectableVIPDined on 11/21/2014This is one of Baltimore's dining gems...it is a place that one can always count on. In the warm weather tables around the sculpture garden are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!MaggiVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food was amazing. Your specials for the evening were beyond delicious. Katie, our waitress, was a delight - very attentive and friendly. Our guest from New Hampshire always wants to come to your restaurant on each trip to Baltimore so that she can experience another fantastic and yummy evening at Tuesdays with Gertie. Thank you, John, you always deliver the best of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usual.NewMarketDined on 11/16/2014I have been to Gertrude's several times as it is a good place to take ladies for lunch. I'd never been there for Sunday brunch before. I had the duck breast omelet and it was very disappointing. The filling was tired if not downright old. I guess I need to stick to the crab cakes as usual! The service was impeccable and made the visit very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Gertrudes, but. . .Hope2cyaDined on 11/16/2014I had a wonderful Sunday brunch at Gertrude's. The menu was eclectic and the food tasted great. The only drawback was that everything on my plate was room temperature or colder. The restaurant was super busy and our server was attentive despite the crowded dining room. Perhaps the server wasn't alerted for some time that our food was ready to be picked up. Whatever the reason, that was truly the only deficit of the experience. I would return and try to select a less hectic time for the kitchen and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just FairDRMODined on 11/15/2014We thought that we would go to a really nice brunch for our anniversary and chose Gertrude's from advertising. while the food was good, the total experience was not as good as many places we have frequented. for people having to drive a distance, I would recommend you try somewhere that is more accessible with less bumpy roads. All in all, not worth the drive.
- Always a pleasureRosinaDined on 11/13/2014Birthday was the occasion, though we go to Gertie's whenever we can. Decor is lovely, food is always excellent, and the wait staff is great! One of us is a vegan, and we appreciate the several options she finds there. Special treatment for the celebrant was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2014This was our second visit to Gertrude's. First time warranted a return visit, but we will not return after this dinner. Cod special was very over-salted, and lamb chops were extremely fatty. Service was mediocre as waitperson did not return to inquire about our entrees, and it was with great difficulty that 2 members of our 6 person group attempted to obtain salt and pepper for the table (they were not eating the cod!). Finally, we attempted to use a discount coupon from the Baltimore Symphony but were informed that it would not be honored because the restaurant was donating proceeds from the evening to a local charity. While such a donation is laudable, it should not have an affect on honoring a discount coupon arrangement with the BSO.
- We always enjoy dinner @ Gertrude'sjanetVIPDined on 11/11/2014This time we celebrated our birthdays with delicious crab cakes, pinot grigio and two luscious desserts!Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed my dinner!BonbonDined on 11/11/2014Everything was delicious, even the garden salad, which was huge. My daughter loved Ms. Jean's crab soup. Thanks.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentrolandparkneighborVIPDined on 11/11/2014Another lovely dinner: a nice bottle of wine at a reasonable price, very good Caesar salads, excellent baked cod -- melt in your mouth and perfectly seasoned. Quiet enough to be able to hold a conversation; perfect service.Special Features:
- Brunch at Gertrude'sgoodcookDined on 11/9/2014On the whole we liked Gertrude's, although my husband thought his turkey burger was awful. It was noisy, however. The service was wonderful. Certainly I would return if/when I plan to visit the Baltimore Museum (which is terrific) and tell my husband to order something different.Special Features:
- Totally mediocre foodCindieDined on 11/9/2014Although the restaurant was buzzing with activity I probably would not return for a second time. I wanted to take my sister someplace special for her 51st birthday and a colleague recommended Gertrude's, but with the caveat that the food was not up to my standards and he was dead on! The scrapple was limp and fell apart when I attempted to eat a piece and the flavor was off-putting. The toast was barely warm and the cheddar homminy tasted like it was right out of a box. We did enjoy the three piece jazz ensemble and touring the museum afterwards but will not return be returning to Gertrude's.
- Just a nice place to have brunch!FoodiejoeVIPDined on 11/9/2014I enjoy getting the special of the day brunch omelets. They have a fun selection of cocktails and the muffins with butter and jam are tasty and give the meal a little air of "special". There's a classy new entrance and I always see some sort of small party to celebrate something there. It is fun and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Survived the renovationdebdopDined on 11/8/2014After a difficult and slightly uncomfortable year, Gertrude's not only survived, but has maintained its tradition of great food and service. As good as always.Special Features:
- A wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2014Took a special friend as she had never been here. We were able to get a comfy corner table. Adding to a great evening together was the wonderful meal and top shelf service we had. Thanks for adding to a really nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Wonderful to have a good place to eat while showing guests the Baltimore Museum of Art. They also enjoyed both the venue and the food.Special Features:
- GandBDined on 11/6/2014I LOVE Gertrude's. A visitor from New York wanted crab cakes and conversation. Gertrude's was the perfect place for both. We could actually HEAR each other talk while we enjoyed our to-die-for crabcakes. Noise has become a major problem in too many "hot-spot" "energetic" restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GertrudesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014Great place for special and not so special get togethers. The food never disappoints. The wait staff are knowledgeable and confident. Going there next week for my birthday!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014We went on a Tuesday so they had a great wine special. Started of with a couple of apps that were delicious. However i got the scallops, and they were really bad. I understand the consistency of scallop is a little chewy by nature, however this was like chewing on a piece of gum. One of the first times i have ordered scallops and not finished them. I am hoping it was just an off night for whatever reason. I will give it another shot at some point. Staff was very friendly and ambiance was nice...but its hard to overlook a poorly prepared meal.Special Features:
- it was niceKarenDined on 11/2/2014Loved the live music it helped drown out all the chattering. Seems people like to hang out and linger at their tables well after they were finished eating. Went for Sunday brunch wirh my husband. Our waiter had 0 personality and horrific breath. We each got a bowl of the cream of crab which seemed frothy and little to no crab meat. I got the crab and gruyer cheese omelet which wasn't even the slightest warm when it reached our table. My husband got the crab cake and it was really good, also luke warm which was surprising due to it all came out very fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gertrude's fits nicelyItbychoiceDined on 11/2/2014There is nothing better than very good food prepared with imagination, simplicity and skill. Gertrude's does just this in a setting that could not be more beautiful. The Baltimore Museum of Art's Sculpture Garden is right outside your table where ever you are seated, and the quiet elegance of the inside dining room is understated and tasteful. This is a restaurant my lovely young wife and I will frequent much more often, especially now that the renovation of the entrance is complete. Wonderful ambiance, great food, excellent service and a world-class art museum to wander through after a satisfying meal. A Baltimore gem!Special Features:
- Gertrude's for a Birthday BrunchKlondikeDined on 11/2/2014Taking teens out is always a challenge - will there be enough in a serving and will they eat it? Well, the great waitstaf at Gertrude's know how to nail it - proviging a paper cover to the table, and crayons to draw with, they bring out the inner child in us all, loosening the tongue and allowing for exploring the pallet. Our kids (18 and 15) loved it. The ambiance was great and a surprize jazz duo started playing somewhere through the meal - cool, smooth, somewhat familiar tunes, that went straight to the happy sole, as the waitstaff brought out the sunday icecream with a candle and a plate decorated with Happy Birthday in chocolate, making our birthday-girla grin away - this was a surprise! We all enjoyed the visit -Thanks Gertrude's!Special Features:
- another great dining experiencejazzVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had a great time once again at Gertrudes. Our meals were very good, if pricey. Really like the new entrance and connectin to the Museum.Special Features:
- DocentDined on 10/29/2014Delicious as always..the vegan soups are outstanding. Any guest I bring to Gertrude's. Love it.. Glad the Front Door is open again !Special Features:
- Never disappointingrolandparkneighborVIPDined on 10/28/2014We love going to dinner at Gertrude's. The food is consistently excellent, and the atmosphere is wonderful -- we can even carry on a conversation and hear each other. Rockfish was delicious, fried oysters were perfect, and we love the Caesar salads, which come with anchovies without our having to request them. Great pre-theater place for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Setting, Food Less SodmbaltDined on 10/26/2014Our server was outstanding. Appetizers were very good. While both my wife and daughter enjoyed their entrees, my fried oysters were beyond disappointing, as were the potatoes that accompanied them. The oysters on my plate were few and what was there was heavily breaded, as well as hard-fried. I had anticipated lightly breaded and pan fried, which may be my fault, as I did not inquire. The potatoes were could have been crispier and spiced up a bit more. After tasting my daughter's crab cake, I'd say that it was above average, but not in the same league as Koco's.Special Features:
- Great Brunch experience!NYfoodieDined on 10/26/2014Loved everything about Gertrude's - the food, the ambiance, the service! Will definitely look forward to another visit!Special Features:
- consistently good food an serivcemuseumdiningDined on 10/25/2014Have had dinner here several times. Quality of food is consistently fresh and high quality. Prices are reasonable. Wait times are short. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- silkyDined on 10/25/2014Gertrude's never disappoints as far as food, menu and service go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable DiningBrooksie6Dined on 10/24/2014Dining at Gertrudes has always been a pleasant experience. One can count on the food and service to be consistently good. The dining room is lovely and we especially like the high table in the bar. During good weather the outdoors is our first choice but either way one will not be disappointed in Gertrudes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014loved it. Only thing I didn't like was that it is not that kids friendlySpecial Features:
- EnjoyablegnilesdDined on 10/19/2014Really great place, especially after a tour through the museum. Dinner was great, wine was excellent, vegetarian options, coffee excellent. Atmosphere was relaxed, facilities very clean, staff very friendly and attentive. Overall great dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is a special mealmeleatsDined on 10/19/2014I invited a special friend to brunch to celebrate the life of a loved one. We were greeted with smiles and immediately put at ease. Our server was kind and patient as we caught up over cocktails. He allowed us the time we needed without being disruptive nor inaccessible. Once we placed our order, our meals were brought timely, as were our drink refills. Brunch has never disappointed me. My friend was also delighted. The seafood is always fresh and cooked to order. Flavors burst in your mouth and portions are just right. This is an excellent place to enjoy a delicious meal, great glass of wine, with ambiance and a view. There's even parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Ate here based on a Baltimore blog. Would return in a heartbeat. Terrific food and great jazz. Went for the Sunday brunch. My. 2 complaints: the music sets were far too short, though the quality was very high. Also, if you take a cab, be sure to have them call a return cab for you as it is very difficult to get one in that area. Crab cakes a 10. Waitstaff all seem to be grad students who are very bright and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014The waffles are awesome!!! Appropriate size for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect !BaltimoreNPVIPDined on 10/18/2014Even though I am an infrequent diner at Gertrude's, this lovely restaurant has never missed the mark ! Delicious food, beautifully presented. Wonderful atmosphere, friendly service. It's not hard to understand why this place is a local favorite all year round.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014On a Saturday, my wife and I had brunch at Gertrude's. Everything about eh experience was enjoyable. It is a perfect add-on to a visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art.Special Features:
- Lunch in the Sculpture GardenladydinerDined on 10/17/2014Always a treat! The menu gets ever more creative, and makes wonderful use of Maryland's bounty! Do save room for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The staff is always very kind to me due to my wheelchair and I am a member of the BMA, where Gertrude's is located. It is the most urban dining experience closest to the Hopkins campus and serves as an escape from Baltimore. In terms of food, I really enjoy the small plates and what the menu offers and will try to accommodate any food requests. Overall, great memories there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.