10 Art Museum Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21218Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gertrudesbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4108893399
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 9:00pm Saturday: 10:30am - 9:00pm Sunday: 10:30am - 8:00pm Brunch Menu served on Saturday and Sunday until 3pm Light Fare Menu on Saturday and Sunday from 3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Bill McKinley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: In addition to birthday parties, anniversary celebrations and corporate affairs, Gertrude's hosts many wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and “day after” brunches throughout the year, for groups as small as 20 guests, and as large as 150. You may visit our web site, www.gertrudesbaltimore.com, for more info, or contact John Gilligan at firstname.lastname@example.org (or tel. 410.889.3399 x105).
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Gilligan 4108893399x105
- Entertainment: On Friday nights listen to mellow jazz with Gary Thomas & Friends at Gertrude's from 6 to 8pm, while you enjoy dinner or cocktails in a beautiful and relaxing setting. And the Dottie Tim Jazz Duo plays here on Sundays during our popular brunch, from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm.
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude's Restaurant, located inside the Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA), is where John Shields celebrates Chesapeake cuisine using local foods, in a warm and stylish setting. Chef & owner John Shields, a Baltimore native who is a cookbook author and television cooking show host, named the restaurant after his grandmother, Gertrude Cleary, who taught him to cook as a child. Gertrude's dishes up a sophisticated regional menu of Chesapeake foods and traditions for lunch, dinner, and brunch using local, organic ingredients whenever possible. The restaurant's interior, inspired by life on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, is beautiful & elegant yet comfortable. The wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the museum’s Sculpture Garden floods the open & airy dining room with natural light. During the warmer months, additional seats are available on the terrace surrounding a fountain and reflecting pool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Charles Village ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (278)special occasion (202)great for brunch (192)fit for foodies (192)neighborhood gem (173)great for lunch (169)scenic view (150)romantic (141)good for groups (99)notable wine list (49)kid-friendly (37)hot spot (20)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014loved it. Only thing I didn't like was that it is not that kids friendlySpecial Features:
- EnjoyablegnilesdDined on 10/19/2014Really great place, especially after a tour through the museum. Dinner was great, wine was excellent, vegetarian options, coffee excellent. Atmosphere was relaxed, facilities very clean, staff very friendly and attentive. Overall great dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Ate here based on a Baltimore blog. Would return in a heartbeat. Terrific food and great jazz. Went for the Sunday brunch. My. 2 complaints: the music sets were far too short, though the quality was very high. Also, if you take a cab, be sure to have them call a return cab for you as it is very difficult to get one in that area. Crab cakes a 10. Waitstaff all seem to be grad students who are very bright and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014The waffles are awesome!!! Appropriate size for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect !BaltimoreNPVIPDined on 10/18/2014Even though I am an infrequent diner at Gertrude's, this lovely restaurant has never missed the mark ! Delicious food, beautifully presented. Wonderful atmosphere, friendly service. It's not hard to understand why this place is a local favorite all year round.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014On a Saturday, my wife and I had brunch at Gertrude's. Everything about eh experience was enjoyable. It is a perfect add-on to a visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art.Special Features:
- Lunch in the Sculpture GardenladydinerDined on 10/17/2014Always a treat! The menu gets ever more creative, and makes wonderful use of Maryland's bounty! Do save room for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The staff is always very kind to me due to my wheelchair and I am a member of the BMA, where Gertrude's is located. It is the most urban dining experience closest to the Hopkins campus and serves as an escape from Baltimore. In terms of food, I really enjoy the small plates and what the menu offers and will try to accommodate any food requests. Overall, great memories there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Tuesday at GertiestastefullytackyDined on 10/14/2014Love the $12.00 dinners on Tuesday night. Looking forward to many more.Special Features:
- toniDined on 10/14/2014We went for the $12 entree night. The food was delicious, and the service was great--as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningGuyDined on 10/14/2014Everything was superb, as always with Gertrude's. It was my companion's birthday and she enjoyed it immensely. It just happened to be a Tuesday and it was a special bonus to find bargains on wine and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ears!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014We had great food at Gertrudes. I love that they had several marked vegan options on the menu and just a huge variety of items in general; however it is so noisy in the main dining area that I couldn't hear people across the fairly small table! Still, it's a lovely place with a very friendly ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2dinersDined on 10/12/2014The food was very good. Had the Eggs Gertrude for the first time and while I wasn't sure I liked the combination of crab and eggs, the poached eggs were prepared perfectly! The noise level was a little high for conversation, but the place was packed so I guess it couldn't be avoided. Really enjoyed the live music (clarinet and keyboard) which was a lovely background and not too loud. Our waitress was attentive and gracious. We were celebrating 2 birthdays and we received a complimentary apple pie sorbet big enough for all to share. It was a nice touch and quite delicious.Special Features:
- Good choice near Museum of ArtsWanderer867Dined on 10/12/2014It's a good choice if you are planning to visit the museum of arts or its vicinity but would not recommend to go out of your way to dine there. The food is good but nothing special, the place needs renovation (the gb ceiling is cracked and flaking from an apparent leak, the sun shade under the glass curtain wall is stained and seems to have been collecting dust for years now..) and a more experienced staffSpecial Features:
- GreatAwesomeDined on 10/11/2014Came here for Brunch with my mom on a Saturday. We loved that you could see the sculpture garden and the mood in the restaurant was excellent. I had the crab cake benedict and my mom had the vegetable quiche which was on special. Both absolutely delicious. The biscuits that they put on the table were a great starter with the butter and jam. The coffee was great and so was the service! Perfect place for a quiet brunch.Special Features:
- ExcellentCkehneDined on 10/11/2014Everything good. Reserved table wasn't ready, but in 15 minutes we sat down.Special Features:
- One of my favorite placesjms1Dined on 10/8/2014The food at Gertrudes is always delicious. The menu has so many delicious entrees to choose from, that it's hard to decide what to order. I ended up with the veggie flat bread, which came with a side salad. It had caramelized onions, eggplant, and cheese...delicious! When the weather is nice, I love sitting outside and looking over the sculpture garden of the BMA. It is a beautiful and peaceful spot in the middle of Baltimore City. It's a good idea to make a reservation, as sometimes it is hard to get in, even during lunch.Special Features:
- Chesapeake Regional CuisineGAFoodieDined on 10/7/2014Gertrude's does a very good job highlighting what's fresh and seasonal from the Chesapeake region. Their servers however, could use some more training, given the caliber of restaurant they are. It irks me to no ned when asking a server for advice on a menu or wine list, and they respond with "it's popular"...Special Features:
- always a treatPeterDined on 10/5/2014Gertrudes has maintained a tradition of innovation and excellent service in a unique setting designed to reward all diners. My wife and I enjoy lunch or brunch periodically throughout the year, when visiting the BMA or just needing and appreciating a calm setting for a memorable meal.Special Features:
- #@ GERTRUDE'S.comOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014I was in search of an elegant, romantic restaurant to surprise my husband with since he always take me out. Not only was it romantic but the food was perfected to my taste. Thumbs up, would definitely recommend. The staff very professional and friendly and the atmosphere awesome. We had terrific time and are looking forward to our next dining experience at Gertrude's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CONSISTENT IN FINE DININGPLEASURABLEVIPDined on 10/3/2014My guests from out of state enjoyed the delights of a great "Baltimore" seafood dinner. I choose this restaurant because they never disappoint. The foods are pieces of art unto themselves.....Special Features:
- AN UNDERSTATED GEMOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/3/2014I lunched here recently with a friend (who was making her first visit to Gertrude's), and we both had a marvelous lunch. My friend remarked that it was better than many restaurants in Washington she had been to.Special Features:
- LovelylckainDined on 10/2/2014Creative menu well executed, good wine list, very nice interior design and ambience. I've eaten here both for dinner as well as for lunch. In the case of my most recent experience (dinner), I commend the restaurant for its generous support of the Turkey Trot fundraiser for Y of Central Maryland.Special Features:
- wonderful gem!Love2eatDined on 10/2/2014Terrific place that we hadn't been too in a while... It has a wonderful quiet atmosphere with fabulous outdoor setting next to a terrific sculpture garden! The food was delicious-- Gertie's crabcakes are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Inattentive ServiceHeavyhitterDined on 10/2/2014Food was fantastic. Enjoyed duck rolls, spinach salad, oysters. Entrees were excellent as well - catfish, gumbo, and rare ahi tuna. Service was not good. Server disappeared for long periods, and we had to ask hosts for drink refills. Then when server came back out, she checked her other tables and didn't even look at us.Special Features:
- What a great night!DavidVIPDined on 10/2/2014Thanks for accommodating us for the dinner that benefited the Y of Central Maryland! The food as always was exquisite! Our server could not have been better! The 10 folks in our party thoroughly enjoyed the evening!Special Features:
- Perfect for family celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014The garden was spectacular and the food was fantastic. It was truly a special place to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR OWN METROPOLITANBESTOFBALTIMOREDined on 10/1/2014Gertrudes surpasses the MET in menu choices, ambience and service. We have a jewel, undiscovered for the most part, that I often use to IMPRESS out of towers. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Sarah54Dined on 9/30/2014This was my second time dining here and I enjoyed the meal. The server was friendly and the service was surprisingly fast considering the crowd. I did want to sit outside but there were no tables available. I have recommended friends here on several occasions. I have to say there is one problem I did have with the menu which is the prices are printed very small and I ended up ordering a $16.00 glass of wine because of such small printing and it being printed as 16Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerrolandparkneighborVIPDined on 9/30/2014We had a great dinner at Gertrude's: beautiful evening to sit outside and enjoy the fountains and sculpture garden. The service was just right -- attentive but not pushy. And the food was lovely: nice Caesar salads, perfectly cooked trout, and one of the best crab cakes I've had outside of my own kitchen. Also good, reasonable wine offerings. And best of all, we could hear each other talk -- a rarity these days!Special Features:
- romanticperfectlyromanticDined on 9/28/2014We were married in the sculpture garden and had our first anniversary dinner. It was just perfect. We couldn't have picked aa more perfect venue. Everyone was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancyeating7Dined on 9/28/2014I took my best friend for her birthday celebration. This was her first time there and she was amazed, calling it a "hidden secret". She will now be telling all her friends and it will not be a secret any longer. I really enjoy going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Note to restaurant-Please update the restrooms. It was a horrible experience to have to use a Port-A-Potty, with non flusing toilets and your head hitting the door while you are standing over the toilet. There were no napkins to clean your hands. It was just a terrible experience.Special Features:
- Food very good service excellentHawk7VIPDined on 9/28/2014This is our second visit to Gertrude's and we thought the food was very good. I had the eggs benedict special and that was well prepared and quite delicious. Our waiter Eric made it a truly excellent experience. He added a little scoop of apple sorbet at the end of meal with a birthday candle for my daughter which was most appreciated. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- kbrunoDined on 9/27/2014It was difficult to find amid the construction but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReturnjazzVIPDined on 9/27/2014Love the ambiance. Food is just ok. Prefer outdoor seating. Choice of musician a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Most Enjoyable EveningJGMDDined on 9/27/2014This was the most enjoyable restaurant I've been to in years. The weather was perfect and sitting under the tent was very romantic. I loved the fountain and the sculpture, and the guitarist played quietly in the background. We were with four friends and we all enjoyed our meals. I had the parmesan encrusted salmon and I do believe it was the best I've ever eaten. The cream of crab soup was also delicious! I would highly recommend Gertrude's to anyone who enjoys going out for a wonderful meal in beautiful surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful VenueBillapDined on 9/27/2014Eating outdoors in a museum sculpture garden on a beautiful fall day is not to be missed! Great and somewhat quirky brunch food, wonderfully attentive service, and fastastically creative drinks. Recommended all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food but understaffedBaseballmomDined on 9/26/2014The food was ok but the service was slow. The waitress was working hard, but she seemed to be the only server in the entire, full room. The live piano and flute was a nice touch, but a little bit too loud in the front of the restaurant. Nice room and view of the sculpture gardens.Special Features:
- For a special dining experience...Letseatout2dayDined on 9/26/2014Consider Gertrude's in conjunction with a visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.