10 Art Museum Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21218Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gertrudesbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4108893399
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 9:00pm Saturday: 10:30am - 9:00pm Sunday: 10:30am - 8:00pm Brunch Menu served on Saturday and Sunday until 3pm Light Fare Menu on Saturday and Sunday from 3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Bill McKinley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: In addition to birthday parties, anniversary celebrations and corporate affairs, Gertrude's hosts many wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and “day after” brunches throughout the year, for groups as small as 20 guests, and as large as 150. You may visit our web site, www.gertrudesbaltimore.com, for more info, or contact John Gilligan at email@example.com (or tel. 410.889.3399 x105).
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Gilligan 4108893399x105
- Entertainment: On Friday nights listen to mellow jazz with Gary Thomas & Friends at Gertrude's from 6 to 8pm, while you enjoy dinner or cocktails in a beautiful and relaxing setting. And the Dottie Tim Jazz Duo plays here on Sundays during our popular brunch, from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm.
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude's Restaurant, located inside the Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA), is where John Shields celebrates Chesapeake cuisine using local foods, in a warm and stylish setting. Chef & owner John Shields, a Baltimore native who is a cookbook author and television cooking show host, named the restaurant after his grandmother, Gertrude Cleary, who taught him to cook as a child. Gertrude's dishes up a sophisticated regional menu of Chesapeake foods and traditions for lunch, dinner, and brunch using local, organic ingredients whenever possible. The restaurant's interior, inspired by life on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, is beautiful & elegant yet comfortable. The wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the museum’s Sculpture Garden floods the open & airy dining room with natural light. During the warmer months, additional seats are available on the terrace surrounding a fountain and reflecting pool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Charles Village ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (266)special occasion (191)great for brunch (188)fit for foodies (170)great for lunch (158)neighborhood gem (152)scenic view (150)romantic (124)good for groups (94)notable wine list (38)kid-friendly (35)late-night find (17)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014We were married in the sculpture garden and had our first anniversary dinner. It was just perfect. We couldn't have picked aa more perfect venue. Everyone was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kbrunoDined on 9/27/2014It was difficult to find amid the construction but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReturnjazzVIPDined on 9/27/2014Love the ambiance. Food is just ok. Prefer outdoor seating. Choice of musician a real plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Most Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This was the most enjoyable restaurant I've been to in years. The weather was perfect and sitting under the tent was very romantic. I loved the fountain and the sculpture, and the guitarist played quietly in the background. We were with four friends and we all enjoyed our meals. I had the parmesan encrusted salmon and I do believe it was the best I've ever eaten. The cream of crab soup was also delicious! I would highly recommend Gertrude's to anyone who enjoys going out for a wonderful meal in beautiful surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Eating outdoors in a museum sculpture garden on a beautiful fall day is not to be missed! Great and somewhat quirky brunch food, wonderfully attentive service, and fastastically creative drinks. Recommended all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food but understaffedBaseballmomDined on 9/26/2014The food was ok but the service was slow. The waitress was working hard, but she seemed to be the only server in the entire, full room. The live piano and flute was a nice touch, but a little bit too loud in the front of the restaurant. Nice room and view of the sculpture gardens.Special Features:
- For a special dining experience...Letseatout2dayDined on 9/26/2014Consider Gertrude's in conjunction with a visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choice for lunchkandmVIPDined on 9/25/2014I have been here many times for lunch and it never disappoints. The curried carrot soup was delicious and I was also very happy with the simple green salad, topped with zuchettes!Special Features:
- Enjoyable brunchOpenjoDined on 9/21/2014We arrived early and strolled through the beautiful sculpture garden. Gertrude's was very busy as it was a beautiful Sunday and their brunch is hopping. The food was good, the service was ok. It took some time to order but they were very busy. Once it quieted down, the service got better. We liked the atmosphere and will go back.Special Features:
- not the best dayxt14Dined on 9/20/2014We were quite disappointed that the outdoor patio, which we had requested some weeks in advance was closed due to a private brunch. No one in the restaurant seemed to know when the private party would end but we requested a table outside as soon as this takes place. Finally someone said they could seat us there at 1:30, but our reservation was for 12:30 so we sat inside. They almost immediately started breaking down the outside party and seating people out there by 1:00 - which we could have waited for if they had informed us. but we had already ordered. Horrible smell from the port-a-potties right at the entrance to the restaurant.Special Features:
- More than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014I booked a reservation to entertain a business client. I was unfamiliar with Baltimore and read a nice review on Open Table. Even though the lobby of the BMA was under construction at the time (fancy port-o-potties), the patio dining overlooking the sculpture garden was absolutely gorgeous. It was a beautiful night, great weather ... just perfect for eating outside. Food, wine, dessert was great. The fried green tomato, arugula salad was fantastic, as was the crab stuffed rockfish. Perfect night.Special Features:
- Sculpture garden diningDelectableVIPDined on 9/19/2014There is not more aesthetic place in Baltimore to dine at than in the Gertrude's portion of the BMA sculpture garden. Additionally, the food is original, well prepared and garden fresh. One can always count on an excellent meal with plenty of dish options.Special Features:
- Overall, I'd come back!RavensManDined on 9/19/2014Beautiful location and ambience, but I wish OpenTable would let us rank price and drinks individually. That's why this gets 3 stars. The food was outstanding (I still get hungry thinking about that filling ahi tuna steak) but I was underwhelmed with the homemade soda that I ordered... It was sugar seltzer with a lemon and sprig of rosemary... The service was not exactly attentive, but very knowledgeable and friendly. I never like to be rushed, but this left awkward spaces between courses. The dessert (goat cheese cheesecake) was simply outstanding. I think the price is high, as well. Although the food is fantastic, it doesn't warrant the price. Good experience, and I'd like to visit again in the distant future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatgeomayDined on 9/18/2014Always a great meal at Gertrude's and especially wonderful on Thursday night as 50% went to the Moveable Feast People. Peach Upside Down cake was worth the price of admission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Had a group of 12 for dinner at Gertrude's and had a wonderful time. The food was awesome, there is something for everyone, and no one had any complaints! Look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Even under construction - worth itRegularDinerDined on 9/18/2014Great meal with great friends. Service was impeccable. Even with all of the construction in the museum it was a wonderful night. The only complaint is the temporary bathrooms need to be cleaned and pumped out more often - they were not clean and they smelled terrible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Happy, Great PlaceloulouDined on 9/18/2014Dining Out for AIDS was a sell-out. Excellent Food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gertrude's: Our new dining spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014My wife and I enjoy dining out and finding those perfect lunch and date night coves in and around the city. Gertrude's is that place. The food was excellent, the portions were generous and the service was great. A+ to our server Sarah who helped make our time there one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a lovely eveningjanetVIPDined on 9/16/2014Gertrude's is one of our favorite restaurants! The space is lovely - this time we sat outside near the fountain on a beautiful evening. Dinner was delicious - the crab cakes and salmon dish always please, and the house made desserts are always a creative adventure -- this time the fresh peach cake was a 5-star treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedokn310Dined on 9/14/2014On our many visits, the food has always been consistently of the freshest and highest quality, and the service friendly and professional. We drive from Washington, DC just for the experience of dining again at Gertrude's.Special Features:
- loviem21Dined on 9/14/2014It was a afternoon treat to enjoy a day by the outdoor fountain and the waiter was a gem . The garden allowed you to feel as if you had left the city .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent favoriteQuitaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Gertrude's never fails to please. Food is good, using local suppliers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant, excellent mealMKozVIPDined on 9/12/2014After touring the wonderful Baltimore museum of art, we were delighted to experience this lovely restaurant. The setting, overlooking the sculpture garden was relaxing. The service was excellent. The food was delicious. Don't miss the goat cheesecake and the sorbet sampler.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014Gertrude's has long been a favorite on every level, but the construction at the museum makes it presently less attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Go GertiestastefullytackyDined on 9/9/2014Gertrude's has been consistently good every time we've dined there. The $12.00 Tuesday entrees are wonderful with plentiful portions. Dining on the patio by the fountain is heaven and the interior is also very nice indeed.Special Features:
- Good Brunch But NoiseyFairportkidDined on 9/7/2014Gertrude's offers an extensive brunch menu and the food and service were excellent. And, I guess that must be enough for most folks, because the restaurant was packed. But, if you are looking for a quiet weekend brunch, Gertrude's is not the place. The noise level rivals many sports bars, and the tables are so close together you get to know your neighbor whether you wanted to or not. I don't think we will be combing visiting the BMA with dinning at Gertrude's ever again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chesapeake Menu!MikeHikeEatVIPDined on 9/6/2014We took family from out of town to enjoy our Maryland/Chesapeake favorites in an elegant surrounding. Single-Fry Oysters and Chesapeake Rockfish (with Crab Imperial) were terrific. My wife shared that the Portobella Crab Imperial missed its mark; not enough "Imperial" sauce/flavor. She should have probably asked for additional on the side. However, we will go back.Special Features:
- glutenfreegalDined on 9/5/2014Loved it. Lots of options for gluten free eaters including dessert!!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSoMuchFoodSoLittleTimeDined on 9/5/2014Took my wife to Gertrudes for her birthday dinner and was not disappointed. They start you with great tasting corn bread and butter. Food was great, we began with crabettes and chicken and corn fritters. Both were very delicious. For our main course we had the salmon alla bella and char grilled hanger steak. The portions were very generous and once again delicious, very fresh and cooked perfectly. Service was good however lacked some attentiveness but overall was not bad. We did not however see anything on the dessert menu that caught our eye so skipped it. Overall I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014This restaurant has an interesting and eclectic menu. The food and service was good. The setting overlooking the BMA Sculpture Garden is one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!MarsweetDined on 9/3/2014I have never been disappointed with anything I have ordered at Gertrude's . You can always count on a delicious meal, uniquely prepared and well presented . Try the oyster appetizer, outstanding !!Special Features:
- Great seafood saladLunchtimeFoodieDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful team lunch on a weekday afternoon. Service was outstanding, ambiance very nice. The seafood salad was the best!Special Features:
- OKmr2020VIPDined on 8/31/2014Four of us dined on the Sunday evening of the Labor Day weekend. The most disappointing was my wife's shrimp and grits -- which was four large (not giant--but tasty) with a big pile of sticky grits for $26. The grits weren't very good, and there was not enough shrimp for a fair meal. Wife was still hungry after dinner! My dinner of the portobella stuffed crab was good, but I don't think crab would amount to a decent sized crab cake. The berry salads were good. Our friends had steak and crab cakes and they reported those were good. The goat cheese cake dessert was awesome as was the ice cream sandwich. The peach cake was dry. Might try again in the winter with a visit to the museum, but no shrimp and grits.
- BrunchPeterDDined on 8/31/2014Best brunch in Sculpture Garden. Inside is cold and noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUNDAY BRUNCHHarryDined on 8/31/2014Service and food was great. Perfect for a Sunday morning brunch after church services.Special Features:
- Brunch at Gertrude'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014We came to Gertrude's for Sunday Brunch and really enjoyed dining outside on a beautiful morning in the sculpture garden. Food was delicious, this restaurant knows it's Chesapeake seafood. A plus was that the Baltimore Museum of Art has free admission during its construction. So we spent an hour post-brunch viewing the museum. The downside is that during construction, Gertrude's is using trailers with port-a-potties. They reek when you step inside.Special Features:
- ExcellentThankful1Dined on 8/30/2014The food is very good, the service excellent, the guitarist's music is perfect for the setting, and very easy for good conversation. The price is very reasonable for such a place!Special Features:
- Has it all!nsennDined on 8/29/2014I was looking for a great crab cake close to the Assisted Living Center my brother is in. This place was great! Easy access for the mobility impaired. Now I can start raving about the menu! A unique assortment of whiskeys on the specialty menu. I had the Leek encrusted cod. Perfect! My husband and brother both got the special with the crab cake. Slight twist on the classic lump crab cake and it was wonderful. The ice cream sampler is a must for the dessert. We will be back prices and location is perfect for us.Special Features:
- BaltimoredinerDined on 8/28/2014We went for lobstermania, an annual family tradition. It did not disappoint! Ourdoor dining overlooking sculpture garden on perfect evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobsterama!LobsteramaDined on 8/28/2014The MD style lobster was great as well as crab soup.Special Features: