10 Art Museum Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21218Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gertrudesbaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4108893399
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 9:00pm Saturday: 10:30am - 9:00pm Sunday: 10:30am - 8:00pm Brunch Menu served on Saturday and Sunday until 3pm Light Fare Menu on Saturday and Sunday from 3pm - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Bill McKinley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: In addition to birthday parties, anniversary celebrations and corporate affairs, Gertrude's hosts many wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and “day after” brunches throughout the year, for groups as small as 20 guests, and as large as 150. You may visit our web site, www.gertrudesbaltimore.com, for more info, or contact John Gilligan at firstname.lastname@example.org (or tel. 410.889.3399 x105).
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Gilligan 4108893399x105
- Entertainment: On Friday nights listen to mellow jazz with Gary Thomas & Friends at Gertrude's from 6 to 8pm, while you enjoy dinner or cocktails in a beautiful and relaxing setting. And the Dottie Tim Jazz Duo plays here on Sundays during our popular brunch, from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm.
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude's Restaurant, located inside the Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA), is where John Shields celebrates Chesapeake cuisine using local foods, in a warm and stylish setting. Chef & owner John Shields, a Baltimore native who is a cookbook author and television cooking show host, named the restaurant after his grandmother, Gertrude Cleary, who taught him to cook as a child. Gertrude's dishes up a sophisticated regional menu of Chesapeake foods and traditions for lunch, dinner, and brunch using local, organic ingredients whenever possible. The restaurant's interior, inspired by life on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, is beautiful & elegant yet comfortable. The wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the museum’s Sculpture Garden floods the open & airy dining room with natural light. During the warmer months, additional seats are available on the terrace surrounding a fountain and reflecting pool.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Charles Village ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
380 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (275)great for brunch (203)special occasion (194)scenic view (168)great for lunch (165)neighborhood gem (162)fit for foodies (161)romantic (121)good for groups (107)kid-friendly (41)notable wine list (33)late-night find (13)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014We went for lobstermania, an annual family tradition. It did not disappoint! Ourdoor dining overlooking sculpture garden on perfect evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food was great, the atmosphere calming and romantic but our waitress was not very good. She forgot to bring us bread, then the food took forever to come out, she never checked on us during our stay to see how things were going and when we wanted to pay it took forever. We had to grab another waitress to take our check because our waitress apparently liked to spend a lot of time in the back rather than on floor with customers.... This is not a reflection on the place really because we have eaten here before and had great service. This waitress may be new or may just need to find a different job...Special Features:
- always an enjoyable experienceellieDined on 8/26/2014The noise level can get high when busy. Dined recently with a hard of hearing friend and he found it difficult. however the food and service are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014this is only my second visit to Gertrude's and I absolutely love the food and presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I took my mother for her birthday. This place did not disappoint. The food was great. I will be coming back for a dinner for 2 or even brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food disappointing, restrooms grossMikeyDined on 8/24/2014There were five of us for brunch. Everyone was disappointed. Fries were soggy, french toast was burned, ahi tuna ($26 for tiny piece) was tasteless. Worst of all were the temporary restrooms that smelled so badly I couldn't go in. It's such a beautiful place to dine. Pity about the food.Special Features:
- BEST Crab Cakes in Town!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Was told that their crab cakes are typically rated #1 in city, and being a native Baltimorean I have to agree was at least top 2 crab cakes I've ever had, especially with the triple mustard sauce!Special Features:
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014One couple asked to split a salad, but it did not come with an extra plate (or actually split, as many good restaurants would do). Brought drinks to wrong people...OK, not so bad BUT THEN they brought the main dishes to everyone at the table except for one person. Waitress said she would get his meal right away, only to return to tell us that it had been delivered TO ANOTER TABLE BY MISTAKE!! He did not get his food (a simple dish-crab cake w/ some veggies) for another 10 minutes. We were NOT offered any compensation.
- Nice Way to End a Hectic DayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014We dropped by early, but the place didn't blink an eye seating us outside in the garden where it was so relaxing. We should have sampled two different entrees but the house crab cake beckoned (and the other crabcake was fried rather than broiled). Very good but I didn't see lumps of crab meat as I do at Pappas's. The waiter didn't know what the local greens were but found out and I ordered the kale, which was good. The duck rolls were fried and ok - but nothing to write home about. It was 5 p.m. when we arrived and I asked if there were any "happy hour" drinks and was told "no". We ordered a bottle of white wine but it was not available; the Los Vasco sauvignon blanc they substituted was fine and chilled perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent place. Whenever I am in Baltimore, I make sure I dine at Gertrude'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for all occasionsloulouDined on 8/21/2014Always friendly and the chief visits your table and it is always a joy to go to this GEMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhoodnathan10VIPDined on 8/19/2014We love going to Gertrudes. So convenient. Neighborhood place. Always good, friendly and we enjoy the beautiful setting. It is a restaurant that has made its mark in the community.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RandDined on 8/19/2014My wife and I both enjoyed the perfectly prepared trout dinner and $20 bottle of wine special on Tuesday night. The Berger Cookie cheesecake was also delicious. We have a summer tradition of Gertrude's on a Tuesday night. It was awesome as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesdays at Gerties is TerrifictastefullytackyDined on 8/19/2014The $12 dinner specials offered on Tuesday night are out of this world. Something for everyone from meat eater to vegan. Great place to take someone who has never been there - they will always be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a special treat!BarbDined on 8/19/2014Gertrude's is always a special treat, especially on a beautiful night when you can sit in the sculpture garden. The food was delicious. I had lots of out-of-town guests who all had the crab cakes. I had my favorite, the catfish. The cream of crab soup is fantastic! Can't wait to come back again.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was very good. The decor was good but not great. But the prices were way too high. $23 for one crab cake? And then I had to pay for parking too? This place is way overpriced.Special Features:
- Couldn't be BettermaryellenDined on 8/17/2014We went to Gertrude's to enjoy their crab cakes and crab soup. I was not disappointed they were great. I also loved that as a side I could get a fresh fruit cup. As a bonus it is delightful to walk around the sculpture garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crabcakes!WinegirlVIPDined on 8/17/2014I grew up on the eastern shore and have very high standards for crabcakes. The crabcakes at Gertrude's are fantastic - better than my own grandmother's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Womderful LunchTravelerDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant was recommended and I had out of town guests who appreciate art. Located in the Sculpture Garden of the Baltimore Museum of Art, lunch was outstanding. We were seated in the patio near a pond and where much of the sculpture was visible. The menu was so extensive it was hard to decide but one chosen, each of us had an wonderful lunch. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone and am looking forward to returning for dinner.Special Features:
- Baltimore410Dined on 8/13/2014Wonderful surroundings due to fountain and sculpture garden. Menu offerings covered a plethora of customizations, and the servers were helpful and accommodating. Food and beverages were generous and delicious. It was much appreciated to receive a mug rather than a cup of hot tea with a scrumptious dessert; and the half priced wines on Wednesdays were much enjoyed. A restaurant to come back to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for Small Groups6RedHatGirlsDined on 8/13/2014It's a nice place for small groups, however, they will not give separate checks.Special Features:
- Family FavoriteFayeeatsDined on 8/10/2014I love Gertrude's because it's such a beautiful place and most of all, it's QUIET enough to have conversation. This was a family reunion so we had a lot to talk about. This is an increasingly rare asset. The food was wonderful as well, and the service was unobtrusive and efficient. All in all, a great place for a family occasion!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We probably shouldn't have gone during restaurant week. We had forgotten that it was, & it was very crowded & busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Artful DinnerNLJF4VIPDined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Gertrude's last Saturday. The food was presented invitingly anticipating the taste and enjoyment we received. David's service right on as was the auxiliary staff. A very gratifying experience.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Celebrated my wifes birthday and everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aways perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014The cioppino was incredible! Peach cake also yummy. Can never go wrong with local food and perfect preparation.Special Features:
- jazzVIPDined on 8/8/2014Gertrude's... our favorite Baltimore restaurant: great food, environs, location, ambiance.Special Features:
- No surprisesDiner4230Dined on 8/8/2014My wife had been to Gertrude's; I had not. She prepared me for a wonderful dining experience so I was not surprised at how wonderful all aspects of dinner was. Food and drink menus, service as it should be, and a beautiful setting - all better than I had expected. Yep, we'll be back.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchArtyVIPDined on 8/8/2014When I made the reservation I said it was a birthday lunch and Gertrude's remembered. I didn't remind them but the special dessert and candle arrived on time. I was impressed and the birthday girl was surprised and happy. It was a lovely lunch.Special Features:
- Lobster!LobsteramaDined on 8/7/2014We often go to Gertrudes at the BMA, but the lobsters and service at the August Lobsterama was especially gratifying!Special Features:
- HiDDEN GEMBESTOFBALTIMOREDined on 8/7/2014Gertrude's continues to be excellent, relaxed, beautiful and rivals any Paris or NYC experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodfinches46VIPDined on 8/6/2014the food was wonderful. and a great setting. bUnfortunately odor in portable bathrooms was badSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and PERFECT outdoor spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Our large group ate directly next to a beautiful fountain overlooking the Baltimore Museum of Art's Sculpture Garden. It was the perfect place to experience restaurant week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014In the midst of renovation inside, the staff made the outdoor dining experience relaxing and calm. Wait staff were thoughtful and attentive, and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014My group of 8 has a wide variety of meal restrictions. Everyone found something delicious to order. We enjoyed eating outside under the tent. Service and food were great.Special Features:
- Fun AtmosphereFoodie1VIPDined on 8/5/2014The food is always good but not great. The presentations are OK. The atmosphere is wonderfully fun and alive. I love sitting outside, but I also I like the big glass windows inside. I find it a nice place to dine with girlfriends for a moderate dinner. I think they could be more creative and create more interesting flavors with their food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014I realize that the restrooms are temporary due to construction but they are horrific. Our server seemed so very distracted and could not seem to remember when she asked if I wanted pepper and I said yes and then she walked away and I had to ask for it again. This is one of my favorite places so I will return but not until they get those restrooms straightened out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait until construction is over!LuvopentableVIPDined on 8/3/2014The construction at the museum means porto potties (and not clean ones) for Gertrude's. Food wasn't up to the usual standard. I was introducing 2 friends to Gertrude's. Not sure they'll return.
- Good food, a little slow on servicegpporgieDined on 8/2/2014We went for dinner with 6 people. The food was good, although not excellent. Steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli was all good, but plate needed some kind of sauce, moisture. Catfish was very good. However, service was slow. It was a busy night due to being restaurant week, but we definitely had to wait 25-30 minutes between courses. Otherwise a good meal.Special Features:
- Just So SoDiningoutDined on 8/2/2014We went there with friends on Saturday night of restaurant week. First, the menu for the restaurant week was just okay. Not a lot of choices, which can be expected. My husband ordered the pork dish on the restaurant week menu and didn't realize how sweet it would be. He ate about half of the entree and then finished mine. I ordered the Salmon dish off the restaurant week menu. Out of our friends, one ordered the same dish I had, and the other ordered the stuffed tomato, which she liked. I don't know, it just seems like the dishes are not that great and seem prepared way ahead of time.Special Features: