1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gertrudesrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 4807198600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am
Sunday Brunch: 7:00am - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen K. Eldridge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table is right next to the kitchen line and seats up to 12 People
- Private Party Contact: John T. Windels 6024814669x
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude’s, the much-anticipated restaurant at the Desert Botanical Garden, offers a fresh new food experience focusing on ingredients directly from the farm and pasture to the plate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (53)fit for foodies (36)scenic view (35)great for lunch (29)special occasion (22)good for groups (21)great for brunch (19)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Fabulous Food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014We had a great meal from the widely varied menu and a lovely time dining outside on a cool desert evening.Special Features:
- Dinner ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We have eaten at Gertrude's 3 or 4 times now; the last meal before last night was Easter Sunday brunch. I have been disappointed with each meal that we have had. Last night we had the tuna with osa? The tuna was cool to taste. My husband ate a very small amount, so I finished his portion. I think that the waiter said that the tuna was only lukewarm, but we ordered it anyway. The waiter was excellent and the outside dining is in a beautiful setting. But, please change your menus.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerhalatiousDined on 10/16/2014Attended a lecture on gyotaku at DBG and enjoyed a quiet meal on the patio. Excellent service throughout. Appetizer and entree choices are all a challenge to select from since they appear so tasty. Great choice of local microbrews. A little spendy, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Dinner!nJOYedDined on 10/15/2014We were returning to Gertrudes to take a couple out to dinner, who was visiting from out of town. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we were upgraded for free to the restaurant's private dining room! It was quiet and produced the best environment to catch up with our dear friends! Our personal waitress was delightful and very helpful in assisting us with selections. Food was over-the-top good. We plan to return for brunch soon and try the out-door seating!!! Thank you for making it a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have dined here many times and have obviously enjoyed our lunch since we keep coming back. The disappointment this time was that they changed the ingredients in my favorite entree, the quinoa dish, and I did not like it at all. A famous expression says it best: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDesertdinerDined on 10/12/2014Our server was very friendly and attentive. Our drinks and food were brought out in the appropriate intervals and all and all a good experience. The menu was a little foodie friendly for my taste but I knew that before we arrived and decided to try it anyway.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent food, great service. Always a dining pleasure when visiting the Desert Botanical Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Hit and Miss13platesVIPDined on 10/11/2014Gertrude's could be one of our favorites. There is still inconsistency on service and food. The patio is lovely this time of year as we came over from the Fall Garden Sale. Rob, our server was friendly, at slow speed (not a problem for us), gave good advice on beer and menu items. The Brisket & Gravy was great with perfectly poached (as requested) eggs and tender meat. Gertie's Benedict had a yummy peppery sauce though my eggs were almost hard boiled, not poached. I was looking for that oozy egg. Rob did not offer a redo when I gently mentioned it. His not caring changed the experience. We will continue hoping all the changes within the restaurant will settle in, making for a consistently wonderful experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful EnvironmentFreshfoodieDined on 10/10/2014The Desert Botanical Garden is absolutely beautiful and Gertrude's is a perfect way to relax while there. Food was very good, a unique menu, our server was stellar, he described the dish we ordered "to a tee". Inside can be a bit noisy, but had a nice lively feeling. Would sit outside next time, weather permitting. We will be returning!Special Features:
- Another great experienceScottFree173Dined on 10/4/2014Wonderful spot for lunch and a glass of wine after a morning enjoying the Desert Botanical Garden. Large patio with refreshing fountain in the center. Lunch a little pricey and no discounts for Garden members, but the meal was excellent and nicely presented. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Too Pricey2ChandlerTravelersDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I recently had dinner at Gertrude's. He had the beef brisket that came with barbequed garbanzo beans. While the meat was tender and flavorful there was more fat than meat. I had a chicken salad sandwich that came with fries. Even though we enjoyed our meals we both agreed $57 dollars was pricey especially since they offered no complimentary breads, chips, or the like.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014One problem was mosquitoes but otherwise it was very lovely The bathrooms at night are quite far from the restaurant and in an unlit areaSpecial Features:
- Lovely Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014I was very happy to discover and experience this hidden gem before attending a course at DBG on Sunday. My friend and I definitely plan to return even when there is no reason to be at DBG. Great service and great food!Special Features:
- Great experience!eatoutDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful evening at Gertrude's! It was a bit noisy inside but the weather was too warm to sit outside yet. I'm sure the patio dining would be absolutely delightful when the temperatures are a bit cooler. The service was outstanding! The food was delicious although I would mention that the pork gumbo was overpowering in it's spiciness. The peppery heat covered the subtle flavors of the other ingredients in the dish. The donuts with sauces was a superb way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AZ Restaurant Weekiwant2blvDined on 9/20/2014Gertrude's had a some great Restaurant Week offerings. Had the gumbo to start then the seared ahi as the entree. The tuna was great. The patio offers a fun dining environment; you're in the middle of a desert garden, how could it not. It looks like they have a happy hour, which I will try to check out on another visit. Good service, too.Special Features:
- Something local and different!LLArizonaDined on 9/19/2014We really enjoyed the patio seating amoung the garden scenery. The food had a local flare and the guitarist added another element is enjoyment. The service was a little slow but when the server or hostess talked to us or served, they were all attentive and fun. I would defiantly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceHeatherDined on 9/19/2014We went to Gertrude's for Restaurant Week. They had a nice menu - good variety of interesting options. Everything we had was good. I was surprised that it was not very busy there. There is a nice atmosphere in the restaurant. We had great service. Our waiter seemed really knowledgeable about the dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- I love GertrudesJeriDined on 9/16/2014Awesome food, service & setting. I have not found food like this anywhere. The tastes flirt with my senses and I feel a lot of the food came from a garden that day.Special Features:
- Always a Great TimeKayakJayDined on 9/10/2014Gertrude's has both high-quality food and a superb wait staff. Each time we have visited was an experience to remember. We shared a bottle of fine wine, and we shared appetizers and main courses between me, my wife and our son. We dined outside under a supermoon and left very sated and pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruncherBruncherVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great find tucked into Desert Botanical Gardens. Gorgeous views set the scene for simple well prepared fare, attentive service. Excellent choice to catch up with friends over well prepared salads and fish. Wonderful, creamy sorbets in piquant flavor were a nice way to end the meal and linger over coffee.Special Features:
- Delicious yet again!KhajDined on 8/25/2014We went for a late lunch and loved it! The food was delicious, service was excellent and being in the middle of the Botanical Garden makes for a beautiful view. We didn't want to leave!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Ambiencenu2phoenixDined on 8/15/2014I took my wife there for dinnee on our anniversary. The service was outstanding with very personable wait and kitchen staff. I found the food to be very tasty (I had venison sausage). My wife had the burger (she is not a foodie) and she said it was really good. We sat outside on the patio. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is a foodie and wants a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gertrude's was a disappointmentliketoeatDined on 8/3/2014THE WAIT STAFF AND THE MANAGER TRIED TO MAKE THE MEAL AS BEST THEY COULD...THOUGH THE WEBSITE SAYS THAT THEY SERVE BRUNCH THROUGHOUT THE DAY....IT DID NOT SAY THAT THEREFORE THE REGULAR DINNER MENU WAS NOT IN EFFECT...THE MANAGER MADE SURE THAT ANYTHING WE WANTED OFF THE MENU WOULD BE OKAY...EXCEPT THAT WHATEVER WE ORDERED DID NOT TASTE ANY WHERE AS GOOD AS IT SHUOLD HAVE...MY HUMUS HAD SEEN BETTER DAYS...NO CUCCUMBER THOUGH IT WAS CLEARLY STATED ON THE MENU...MY WIFE AHD ORDERED THE FISH WHICH WAS ABSOLUTELY TASTELESS...NO FLAVOR WHATSOEVER...OUR GUEST WHO WAS THE REASON WE HAD COME TO GERTRUDE'S ORDERED A DISH OF MIXED GREENS AND GRAINS WHICH SHE SEEMED TO ENJOY...I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND GERTRUDE'SSpecial Features:
- a lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was delicious and service by Katrina was excellent.Special Features:
- A Culinary Delight!luvgoodfoodDined on 7/16/2014From the moment we entered Gertrude's and until we left, we experienced top notch customer service from everyone we encountered. The food was beyond our expectations and we will definitely be returning on a regular basis! We were also delighted we happened in on a night they had live entertainment in the form of "Dueling Pianos" which made for a fun time as well. Nothing better than great food, great customer service, and fantastic music on a Wednesday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food...GreatChoiseDined on 6/27/2014We ordered from the appetizers so that we would not miss the concert and found the found good. However, the sausage dish was a bit dry with not enough of the wonderful apple chutney. Would I order it again? Yes and just request additional sauce. The shredded pork was also a bit dry; however, given the time of day, it was understandable. This was my first visit and I truly see and taste its potential.Special Features:
- Great for any occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014A group of friends met for evening dinner and thoroughly enjoyed this hidden gem in the gardens. The service was excellent, food timely and delicious. I highly recommend Gertrude's for any occasion and local flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience050214Dined on 6/22/2014First time at Gertrude's, but not the last. Food was excellent, And ambience very enjoyable. The room was only partially occupied (brunch in Summer), so it was not noisy at all.Special Features:
- Service was poor, food okChrisDined on 6/21/2014The setting is really attractive. The food is expensive and just okay. Our server was a nice person, but a terrible waiter. This is not the first time we have had poor service at this restaurant. Everyone is friendly but they do not know how to offer decent service. Sad. I don't know if we will return.Special Features:
- The following 1125 reviews are from the Gertrude's reviews archive.
- Father's Day brunchNvrdoreviewsDined on 6/15/2014I made reservations for 5 at 9:30am for brunch. We started out the morning early with a stroll through the botanical gardens. We arrived at Gertrude's, were seated and orders were taken within 10 minutes. An hour later our meal still wasn't served, so we left. I will not recommend Gertrude's to anyone.
- Recent Botanical Garden Concert2ChandlerTravelersDined on 6/13/2014I thought it would be nice to have dinner @ Gertrude's prior to the concert & because I've never eaten there before. I was less than impressed with the menu & wonder about the chef's taste for these lunch and dinner items. Maybe it's just me but I think food items are quite priceySpecial Features:
- 1HikerfellaDinesDined on 6/13/2014Enjoyed the Quinoa Salad that a piece of Grilled Salmon was "ADDED" to. Was a Great dish and would go there to order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improveddesertratnanaDined on 6/12/2014This was our third visit to Gertrude's & we were pleasantly surprised. Our other visits were during the insanely busy Chihuly exhibit, but we decided to give G one last opportunity to win us over. The new menu, although not extensive by any means, had some delicious-sounding new choices. I chose the happy hour small bites Street Tacos & they were very good, as was the Gazpacho, My husband had the Country Ham sandwich & said it was very good as well. Our server was attentive & knowledgeable. Prices are still a little high for what you get, but everything is fresh & we will come back again. Kudos to the new chef for changing things up a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda HrachCamoDined on 6/6/2014Very pleasant dinning experience. Gertrude's is perfectly located for those who participate in the concerts performed at the Desert Botanical Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive food at DBGBillHDined on 6/6/2014We took two friends to Gertrudes prior to attending a Music In The Garden concert. First, the menu is relatively sparse and exotic. The main part of what we each had (chicken,salmon) was excellent. The accompanying side were a bit strange. Dessert was superb. I was somewhat put off by the prices. With no alcoholic beverages, the bill for four with tip was about $150. We chose Gertrudes because the meal on the Terrace was too spicy. Would we go back? Somewhat iffy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014We heard they lost their Chef who basically put this place on the map! Didn't excpect this fast of a fall from grace. Though menu items are the same; presentation and quality have slipped from a 10 to a 4. Service timing was insane...waiter rushed us to order claiming food would take 40 MINUTES and everything arrived in 4!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/20142nd time coming. Setup reservation on Thursday for Sat at 645pm for 4. Arrived gave my name and the hostess said we had already checked in. Well how can that be if we just got there. She had looked at our name for someone else. So our table was gone. We had to wait 45 mins for another table. They apologized but didn't help. Spoiled the evening. The manager didn't even offer to comp anything. This should be a lesson to the hostess to check the names very carefully. I;m not sure if I will come back or recommend this place to anyone else.That was very poor on there part. The server was rushing us it seemed like too. The food is very good. Just put yourself in this situation. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Environment, Convenientnatureandtheatrelover22Dined on 5/31/2014Gertrude's is conveniently located on the beautiful grounds of the Botanical Gardens. For anyone taking a trip to the Gardens or Zoo, this is a lovely dining experience to choose - parking is very abundant and provides a moderate walk before dining. Indoor and outdoor seating is available. We sat outdoors and enjoyed the Palo Verde trees overhead and the rocks in the distance. Our server was friendly, attentive, and available. We were only moderately impressed with our food - a salad with chicken and some hummus. I would definitely return to Gertrude's and try something else on the menu especially if I were returning for an event - such as the "Midsummer's Night Dream" performance we attended in the Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choppersDined on 5/31/2014Overall the food was excellent but the beans with the Tacos were tasteless. Get another side if ordering the Tacos. The beet salad with Salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dm13Dined on 5/31/2014Good food and great service. Server knew the menu and made great recommendations. Fish tacos were great as was the hummus appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.