1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gertrudesrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 4807198600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am
Sunday Brunch: 7:00am - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen K. Eldridge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table is right next to the kitchen line and seats up to 12 People
- Private Party Contact: John T. Windels 6024814669x
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude’s, the much-anticipated restaurant at the Desert Botanical Garden, offers a fresh new food experience focusing on ingredients directly from the farm and pasture to the plate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (33)scenic view (30)special occasion (25)great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (16)romantic (12)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- AZ Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Gertrude's had a some great Restaurant Week offerings. Had the gumbo to start then the seared ahi as the entree. The tuna was great. The patio offers a fun dining environment; you're in the middle of a desert garden, how could it not. It looks like they have a happy hour, which I will try to check out on another visit. Good service, too.Special Features:
- Something local and different!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We really enjoyed the patio seating amoung the garden scenery. The food had a local flare and the guitarist added another element is enjoyment. The service was a little slow but when the server or hostess talked to us or served, they were all attentive and fun. I would defiantly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week ExperienceHeatherDined on 9/19/2014We went to Gertrude's for Restaurant Week. They had a nice menu - good variety of interesting options. Everything we had was good. I was surprised that it was not very busy there. There is a nice atmosphere in the restaurant. We had great service. Our waiter seemed really knowledgeable about the dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- I love GertrudesJeriDined on 9/16/2014Awesome food, service & setting. I have not found food like this anywhere. The tastes flirt with my senses and I feel a lot of the food came from a garden that day.Special Features:
- Always a Great TimeKayakJayDined on 9/10/2014Gertrude's has both high-quality food and a superb wait staff. Each time we have visited was an experience to remember. We shared a bottle of fine wine, and we shared appetizers and main courses between me, my wife and our son. We dined outside under a supermoon and left very sated and pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruncherBruncherVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great find tucked into Desert Botanical Gardens. Gorgeous views set the scene for simple well prepared fare, attentive service. Excellent choice to catch up with friends over well prepared salads and fish. Wonderful, creamy sorbets in piquant flavor were a nice way to end the meal and linger over coffee.Special Features:
- Delicious yet again!KhajDined on 8/25/2014We went for a late lunch and loved it! The food was delicious, service was excellent and being in the middle of the Botanical Garden makes for a beautiful view. We didn't want to leave!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Ambiencenu2phoenixDined on 8/15/2014I took my wife there for dinnee on our anniversary. The service was outstanding with very personable wait and kitchen staff. I found the food to be very tasty (I had venison sausage). My wife had the burger (she is not a foodie) and she said it was really good. We sat outside on the patio. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is a foodie and wants a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gertrude's was a disappointmentliketoeatDined on 8/3/2014THE WAIT STAFF AND THE MANAGER TRIED TO MAKE THE MEAL AS BEST THEY COULD...THOUGH THE WEBSITE SAYS THAT THEY SERVE BRUNCH THROUGHOUT THE DAY....IT DID NOT SAY THAT THEREFORE THE REGULAR DINNER MENU WAS NOT IN EFFECT...THE MANAGER MADE SURE THAT ANYTHING WE WANTED OFF THE MENU WOULD BE OKAY...EXCEPT THAT WHATEVER WE ORDERED DID NOT TASTE ANY WHERE AS GOOD AS IT SHUOLD HAVE...MY HUMUS HAD SEEN BETTER DAYS...NO CUCCUMBER THOUGH IT WAS CLEARLY STATED ON THE MENU...MY WIFE AHD ORDERED THE FISH WHICH WAS ABSOLUTELY TASTELESS...NO FLAVOR WHATSOEVER...OUR GUEST WHO WAS THE REASON WE HAD COME TO GERTRUDE'S ORDERED A DISH OF MIXED GREENS AND GRAINS WHICH SHE SEEMED TO ENJOY...I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND GERTRUDE'SSpecial Features:
- a lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was delicious and service by Katrina was excellent.Special Features:
- A Culinary Delight!luvgoodfoodDined on 7/16/2014From the moment we entered Gertrude's and until we left, we experienced top notch customer service from everyone we encountered. The food was beyond our expectations and we will definitely be returning on a regular basis! We were also delighted we happened in on a night they had live entertainment in the form of "Dueling Pianos" which made for a fun time as well. Nothing better than great food, great customer service, and fantastic music on a Wednesday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food...GreatChoiseDined on 6/27/2014We ordered from the appetizers so that we would not miss the concert and found the found good. However, the sausage dish was a bit dry with not enough of the wonderful apple chutney. Would I order it again? Yes and just request additional sauce. The shredded pork was also a bit dry; however, given the time of day, it was understandable. This was my first visit and I truly see and taste its potential.Special Features:
- Great for any occassionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014A group of friends met for evening dinner and thoroughly enjoyed this hidden gem in the gardens. The service was excellent, food timely and delicious. I highly recommend Gertrude's for any occasion and local flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience050214Dined on 6/22/2014First time at Gertrude's, but not the last. Food was excellent, And ambience very enjoyable. The room was only partially occupied (brunch in Summer), so it was not noisy at all.Special Features:
- Service was poor, food okChrisDined on 6/21/2014The setting is really attractive. The food is expensive and just okay. Our server was a nice person, but a terrible waiter. This is not the first time we have had poor service at this restaurant. Everyone is friendly but they do not know how to offer decent service. Sad. I don't know if we will return.Special Features:
- Father's Day brunchNvrdoreviewsDined on 6/15/2014I made reservations for 5 at 9:30am for brunch. We started out the morning early with a stroll through the botanical gardens. We arrived at Gertrude's, were seated and orders were taken within 10 minutes. An hour later our meal still wasn't served, so we left. I will not recommend Gertrude's to anyone.
- Recent Botanical Garden Concert2ChandlerTravelersDined on 6/13/2014I thought it would be nice to have dinner @ Gertrude's prior to the concert & because I've never eaten there before. I was less than impressed with the menu & wonder about the chef's taste for these lunch and dinner items. Maybe it's just me but I think food items are quite priceySpecial Features:
- 1HikerfellaDinesDined on 6/13/2014Enjoyed the Quinoa Salad that a piece of Grilled Salmon was "ADDED" to. Was a Great dish and would go there to order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improveddesertratnanaDined on 6/12/2014This was our third visit to Gertrude's & we were pleasantly surprised. Our other visits were during the insanely busy Chihuly exhibit, but we decided to give G one last opportunity to win us over. The new menu, although not extensive by any means, had some delicious-sounding new choices. I chose the happy hour small bites Street Tacos & they were very good, as was the Gazpacho, My husband had the Country Ham sandwich & said it was very good as well. Our server was attentive & knowledgeable. Prices are still a little high for what you get, but everything is fresh & we will come back again. Kudos to the new chef for changing things up a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda HrachCamoDined on 6/6/2014Very pleasant dinning experience. Gertrude's is perfectly located for those who participate in the concerts performed at the Desert Botanical Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive food at DBGBillHDined on 6/6/2014We took two friends to Gertrudes prior to attending a Music In The Garden concert. First, the menu is relatively sparse and exotic. The main part of what we each had (chicken,salmon) was excellent. The accompanying side were a bit strange. Dessert was superb. I was somewhat put off by the prices. With no alcoholic beverages, the bill for four with tip was about $150. We chose Gertrudes because the meal on the Terrace was too spicy. Would we go back? Somewhat iffy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014We heard they lost their Chef who basically put this place on the map! Didn't excpect this fast of a fall from grace. Though menu items are the same; presentation and quality have slipped from a 10 to a 4. Service timing was insane...waiter rushed us to order claiming food would take 40 MINUTES and everything arrived in 4!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/20142nd time coming. Setup reservation on Thursday for Sat at 645pm for 4. Arrived gave my name and the hostess said we had already checked in. Well how can that be if we just got there. She had looked at our name for someone else. So our table was gone. We had to wait 45 mins for another table. They apologized but didn't help. Spoiled the evening. The manager didn't even offer to comp anything. This should be a lesson to the hostess to check the names very carefully. I;m not sure if I will come back or recommend this place to anyone else.That was very poor on there part. The server was rushing us it seemed like too. The food is very good. Just put yourself in this situation. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Environment, Convenientnatureandtheatrelover22Dined on 5/31/2014Gertrude's is conveniently located on the beautiful grounds of the Botanical Gardens. For anyone taking a trip to the Gardens or Zoo, this is a lovely dining experience to choose - parking is very abundant and provides a moderate walk before dining. Indoor and outdoor seating is available. We sat outdoors and enjoyed the Palo Verde trees overhead and the rocks in the distance. Our server was friendly, attentive, and available. We were only moderately impressed with our food - a salad with chicken and some hummus. I would definitely return to Gertrude's and try something else on the menu especially if I were returning for an event - such as the "Midsummer's Night Dream" performance we attended in the Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choppersDined on 5/31/2014Overall the food was excellent but the beans with the Tacos were tasteless. Get another side if ordering the Tacos. The beet salad with Salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dm13Dined on 5/31/2014Good food and great service. Server knew the menu and made great recommendations. Fish tacos were great as was the hummus appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Midsummer. Night's Foodie DreameDoctorKDined on 5/31/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our pre Shakespeare evening at the Garden. The food was excellent as was the atmosphere and service.A lovely oasis .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again Gertrude's is good....dbeagarDined on 5/31/2014Not great, but good. The food was fine and the service was very good. Combined, the experience this time at Gertrude's was as expected...which will keep me coming back.Special Features:
- DinnergertbDined on 5/30/2014The food was very good but not excellent. I was surprised by how casual the menu was. I expected more dinner options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing really positiveDinerdanDined on 5/30/2014Made a reservation at 10:00am on 05/30/14 for indoors. Reservation was confirmed. When my date and I arrived we were told they only had outdoor availability. After a short discussion and while be escorted to the patio we past 4 empty tables inside on the way. After being seated and my making another comment the hostess told me she would look into the situation. Never heard another thing. After sitting for over 5min. in the heat and asking for water the server who was bringing it after another lengthy period chatted with the next table for 3-4 more minute. Food was average. Decided to try this as we were attending a concert in the garden. Next time I will just plan differently. Oh and BTW...walked past 4 empty tables inside on the way out.
- Great for pre-eventsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Gertrude's serves amazing, healthy food that is perfect for pre-events at the Desert Botanical Garden. Perfect for out-of-town guests. Sure to wow them!!! Delicious with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedDietitianFoodieDined on 5/27/2014This is a lovely restaurant for a special occasion. The service was outstanding. The food was very good-- except for the calimari which was rubbery and not cooked quite right. The inside of the restaurant is a little bit tired looking. I suggest touch up on the paint on the walls. It looks dinged up here and there. The location is an absolutely beautiful garden location. It is easy to overlook minor flaws when the environment is magnificent. Overall this is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably excellentSMunroeDined on 5/26/2014We've dined here 10 or so times in the past year. This time we were meeting old friends for breakfast. Gertrude's is great for special occasions and is great for out of town guests. The DBG is a scenic backdrop, the food and service is always excellent and its always nice to stay and linger around the gardens. We'll be backSpecial Features:
- The following 1107 reviews are from the Gertrude's reviews archive.
- Great food and setting.MarymathDined on 5/25/2014Unexpected find! Not a thing we did not like. Menu was restaurant week and choices were excellent. Wish we lived closer so we could visit more often. We visited the garden in late afternoon (not too many people) and being able to stay in the same area for dinner was an unexpected bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodsPJSPADined on 5/25/2014Really great use of vegetables! I had the egg white fritita and it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPearlhdDined on 5/24/2014Everything was perfect. The food, the seasoning, atmosphere, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer is quietlolaDined on 5/23/2014rare temperate early summer evening made Gertrude's an anniversary treat. Food is interesting, good wine list, friendly, attentive wait staff, leisurely service pace was appreciated. Quiet on patio. Lovely evening. We wished the Garden had been open till 9 (instead of 8pm) for a post-dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingcidergirlDined on 5/23/2014I looked forward to my first time at Gertrude's. We arrived early, but were seated immediately as there were only a few other diners. The waitress quickly explained the specials and took our drink order. The drinks arrived and our food order taken within 10 minutes of arrival. It then took more than 25 minutes to get our food. I ordered the chicken. The meat was hot and very tasty. Unfortunately, the mashed potatoes and asparagus were nearly cold and bland. My companion's salmon was warm enough, but there was very little taste to the broth or mussels and she had to ask for bread to go with it (the waitress brought one small piece). The menu was also difficult to understand and quite limited. A disappointing experience.
- Very romanticMichelleDined on 5/22/2014Great choice for a romantic evening with your sweetheart. Our meal was delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014It was so empty , part of its charm is the ambiance and excitement that a full house presents. But it was our choice to grab something small, fast while peaking in on a few plants.I would recommend this to a friend.