1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gertrudesrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (480) 719-8600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am
Sunday Brunch: 7:00am - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen K. Eldridge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table is right next to the kitchen line and seats up to 12 People
- Private Party Contact: John T. Windels 6024814669x
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude’s, the much-anticipated restaurant at the Desert Botanical Garden, offers a fresh new food experience focusing on ingredients directly from the farm and pasture to the plate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (93)fit for foodies (62)scenic view (57)great for lunch (46)special occasion (39)good for groups (30)romantic (28)great for brunch (26)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We enjoyed dinner in the garden. Chicken and pork chop dishes were outstanding. Pork cooked perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MadmamDined on 11/21/2014We took some friends here that have been to the DBG numerous times but never eaten at Gertrude's. We had a difficult time selecting just one entree as everything on the menus sounded delicious. We all ordered different things and ranted and raved about each course. Love that they have a fall/winter menu. For dessert, you've got to order the donuts!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were wonderful.kakesDined on 11/21/2014From the time we stepped in the door, service was wonderful. Food was just what we wanted and was served in a timely manner. Will definitely be coming back and will be telling others to do the same. GOOD JOB, Reed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaters please work!DonnaFDined on 11/20/2014If you are going to have a lovely outside dining patio and actually want people to sit out there make sure your heaters work! Arizona nights do get chilly. We were going to eat inside but it was almost colder than outside. We chose outside since there are a lot of heaters. We asked to have one moved near our table so we would have two. Our server said none of the other heaters worked. Really? That's really bad! It was not a good experience. The food almost made up for it. Will probably give it another chance but I'll wait for warmer weather.Special Features:
- Garden dining well doneBurntKandleDined on 11/16/2014Imaginative food and cocktails well prepared served outside on a terrace in one of the most beautiful places the Valley of the Sun has to offer, the Desert Botanical Garden, what could be better. I very much enjoyed the eggs Benedict as well as the breakfast bowl. Tha gardenrita was a nice twist on a favorite cocktail with just enough heat. The service was friendly and very helpful and the live guitar music was a nice touch for a Sunday morning in the garden. I will definatey return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place to dine.AZFoodieDined on 11/15/2014Have introduced Gertrude's to many friends and strangers and all have enjoyed the atmosphere, service, and food. One of my favorite restaurants in Phoenix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly fab!GbowenDined on 11/14/2014I had the beef brisket and it was quite fatty but everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningdesertratnanaDined on 11/14/2014Once again Gertrude's proved to be a wonderful dining experience. Our server was exeptional- attentive, very knowledgeable about the menu choices & extremely personable. The food was quite good. We started with non-alcoholic selzers which were refreshing & flavorful from what I assume were garden-grown herbs. We had the pepper spaghetti (with a kick) & the brick chicken (tender, juicy & presented very well). Desert (donuts & cheescake) were delicious. Kudis Gertrudes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ch...ch...changes...EuropeanTasteDined on 11/8/2014First thing that we were told by the host was that they have a new Chef. That's ok. Chefs come and go. We've been occasional guests (business and with spouse) since they open up a couples years ago. Loved everything about the place. This time it was different. Food had an "experimental" character to me and my wife. Was not as satisfying or palate pleasing as in the past. This may be a transitional phase until the new Chef finds his footing. I would still go there for the ambiance, but not for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceGreatOutdoorDiningDined on 11/8/2014We had a great time and enjoyed the experience. Staff was wonderful. Menu was a bit limited. It was difficult to avoid certain ingredients that I don't care for.Special Features:
- delightful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Arrived early; able to be seated on the patio. Quiet, service delightful. Pork Shank was out standing. Enjoyed the Kale Kim Chee, and veg.soup. Rice puddling for desert was a disappointment. Loved the patio, and PBG. Delightful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicePatsyDined on 11/4/2014Our seafood lunches were excellent and the seasonal fall desserts were delicious. Service was attentive and friendly. Appreciated the quiet atmosphere. Will be exciting when the new art gallery opens in November.Special Features:
- Creative menu with fresh choicesDbittlesDined on 11/4/2014I enjoyed our lunch very much. Quinoa salad was very nice. The dining room was pleasant? Great service too. A nice choice for lunch with a friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/2/2014We were there for my birthday brunch. The iced coffee was good; I would have liked real sugar. I had the BLT; the bread was completely unmanageable. There was not enough bacon to really enjoy it. The tomatoes were good. I found the menu uninspiring. There were very few vegetarian options; the sauce for the eggs Benedict was weird.Special Features:
- avaschoiceDined on 10/31/2014Delicious, healthy, satisfying meals. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Beautiful and PeacefulDBGluvDined on 10/31/2014Love the wonderful views and ambiance at Gertrude's and the DBG. The only downside to this restaurant is that they could benefit by having more variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The tomato gespacho soup was the best I have ever tasted. I have to come back to try the potato salad with horseradish. Very pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Desert BlissTravelingtaurusDined on 10/30/2014Gertrude's is a lovely place for breakfast or lunch, especially when combined with a visit to the Desert Botanical Garden. There are unusual offerings like bison and dishes with Southwestern as well as soups and salads. Has gluten free and vegetarian offerings. I had their kale salad and added a flat iron steak...wonderful. My friend had the veggie wrap...also very good. The watermelon green tea ice tea was very refreshing. Also has a full bar. Very cheerful, polite and attentive wait staff. We ate outside in the shade with views of the gardens...a great venue.Special Features:
- Great as always!SandyDined on 10/29/2014Brought a friend from the East Coast and he loved it! Food was excellent, service was good and the outside patio was unbelievably beautiful! Always a hit with someone visiting AZ.Special Features:
- Nice placeMH59Dined on 10/27/2014This time it was nice and quiet but when it's busy you can't hear yourself think inside. There was only one fairly tasteless vegetarian option.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Evening!L2TravelDined on 10/26/2014Flying in to Phoenix for the first time from the East Coast, the person I sat beside on the plane lives here, and recommended Gertrude's. I spent the day at the Botanical Gardens while my husband was attending a conference and made reservations for us to go back for dinner that evening, since it was quite crowded at noon. We strolled the lighted pathways and then had a WONDERFUL dinner in the garden outside! Fewer people than at noon time and DELICIOUS food! Our waitress seated us by the fountain, low light ambience, very relaxing. Waitress was wonderful and we enjoyed our evening together! Thank you. We have already told friends if they are in Phoenix, definitely go to Gertrude's and the beautiful gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu now ordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Was very pleased with original menu when Gertrude's first opened. Menu was inventive, flavorful and worth the price. Current menu is bland and ordinary. Ordered vegetarian wrap. Was lacking in flavor and french fries were cold. Have experienced a continuing slide in offerings.Special Features:
- BruceBruceDined on 10/26/2014I ate Sunday brunch on the patio. The service started a little slow but through most of the meal was very attentive. I had the breakfast bowl, which is pork and a corn muffin with two eggs any style. I had mine poached and they got them just right (I asked for medium hard and usually I get runny, but not this time). I thought the food was excellent. The portions are not huge but I prefer quality to quantity. For the quality of food, and the ambiance of being at the DBG, I received value for the money paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- However, a bit disappointingDairyFreeCatDined on 10/24/2014I love the spot and the mission, but not well executed. I went with 3 other female friends. We are not big eaters, but way too little food for the price. I think my meal was about 300 calories and before tax was about $24, and was one of the cheaper options. Just not enough. Dairy free options very limited; menu overall quite limited. Wine was very expensive, but I am actually ok with that. I know restaurants make money on the liquor, but it was a bit over the top because everything just seemed overpriced. Just too little for too much, which is too bad. Also, mosquitos were out with no citronella candles (I know mosquitos are odd, but they are here this year.) Staff was welcoming, but will think twice before returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantdinedaloneDined on 10/24/2014Too pricey for me but great if you can afford it. The outdoor area is very nice at sunset. I went October 25th and the temps were perfect. The service was great. I had mussels but would not recommend them. They were very tiny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem !!!!Francy917Dined on 10/23/2014This is the second time dining at Gertrude's and it was just as wonderful as the first. The food is different and delicious. You can find something for everyone's taste on the menu. The wait staff is knowledgeable and courteous and makes your dining experience a joy. Thank you for such a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food and AmbiancejamieDined on 10/17/2014We had a great meal from the widely varied menu and a lovely time dining outside on a cool desert evening.Special Features:
- Dinner ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We have eaten at Gertrude's 3 or 4 times now; the last meal before last night was Easter Sunday brunch. I have been disappointed with each meal that we have had. Last night we had the tuna with osa? The tuna was cool to taste. My husband ate a very small amount, so I finished his portion. I think that the waiter said that the tuna was only lukewarm, but we ordered it anyway. The waiter was excellent and the outside dining is in a beautiful setting. But, please change your menus.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerhalatiousDined on 10/16/2014Attended a lecture on gyotaku at DBG and enjoyed a quiet meal on the patio. Excellent service throughout. Appetizer and entree choices are all a challenge to select from since they appear so tasty. Great choice of local microbrews. A little spendy, but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Dinner!nJOYedDined on 10/15/2014We were returning to Gertrudes to take a couple out to dinner, who was visiting from out of town. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we were upgraded for free to the restaurant's private dining room! It was quiet and produced the best environment to catch up with our dear friends! Our personal waitress was delightful and very helpful in assisting us with selections. Food was over-the-top good. We plan to return for brunch soon and try the out-door seating!!! Thank you for making it a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have dined here many times and have obviously enjoyed our lunch since we keep coming back. The disappointment this time was that they changed the ingredients in my favorite entree, the quinoa dish, and I did not like it at all. A famous expression says it best: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDesertdinerDined on 10/12/2014Our server was very friendly and attentive. Our drinks and food were brought out in the appropriate intervals and all and all a good experience. The menu was a little foodie friendly for my taste but I knew that before we arrived and decided to try it anyway.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent food, great service. Always a dining pleasure when visiting the Desert Botanical Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Hit and Miss13platesVIPDined on 10/11/2014Gertrude's could be one of our favorites. There is still inconsistency on service and food. The patio is lovely this time of year as we came over from the Fall Garden Sale. Rob, our server was friendly, at slow speed (not a problem for us), gave good advice on beer and menu items. The Brisket & Gravy was great with perfectly poached (as requested) eggs and tender meat. Gertie's Benedict had a yummy peppery sauce though my eggs were almost hard boiled, not poached. I was looking for that oozy egg. Rob did not offer a redo when I gently mentioned it. His not caring changed the experience. We will continue hoping all the changes within the restaurant will settle in, making for a consistently wonderful experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful EnvironmentFreshfoodieDined on 10/10/2014The Desert Botanical Garden is absolutely beautiful and Gertrude's is a perfect way to relax while there. Food was very good, a unique menu, our server was stellar, he described the dish we ordered "to a tee". Inside can be a bit noisy, but had a nice lively feeling. Would sit outside next time, weather permitting. We will be returning!Special Features:
- Another great experienceScottFree173Dined on 10/4/2014Wonderful spot for lunch and a glass of wine after a morning enjoying the Desert Botanical Garden. Large patio with refreshing fountain in the center. Lunch a little pricey and no discounts for Garden members, but the meal was excellent and nicely presented. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Too Pricey2ChandlerTravelersDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I recently had dinner at Gertrude's. He had the beef brisket that came with barbequed garbanzo beans. While the meat was tender and flavorful there was more fat than meat. I had a chicken salad sandwich that came with fries. Even though we enjoyed our meals we both agreed $57 dollars was pricey especially since they offered no complimentary breads, chips, or the like.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014One problem was mosquitoes but otherwise it was very lovely The bathrooms at night are quite far from the restaurant and in an unlit areaSpecial Features:
- Lovely Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014I was very happy to discover and experience this hidden gem before attending a course at DBG on Sunday. My friend and I definitely plan to return even when there is no reason to be at DBG. Great service and great food!Special Features:
- Great experience!eatoutDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful evening at Gertrude's! It was a bit noisy inside but the weather was too warm to sit outside yet. I'm sure the patio dining would be absolutely delightful when the temperatures are a bit cooler. The service was outstanding! The food was delicious although I would mention that the pork gumbo was overpowering in it's spiciness. The peppery heat covered the subtle flavors of the other ingredients in the dish. The donuts with sauces was a superb way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.