722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: 7035480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)romantic (70)special occasion (68)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (37)good for groups (26)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Nice Place OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014I don't know why some people gave this place a bad review, but in my opinion it is a very nice place for dinner. The ambiance is perfect for a romantic dinner or a night out with friends and family. Food selection is great and fresh. Would definitely go back when I have a chance to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, spotty serviceSteveDined on 8/29/2014I went here with family visiting from out of town and had a pleasant enough time: the gnocchi appetizer was delicious and rich but not too heavy. I really liked the choice of arugula salads -- we all had different ones and they were fresh and bright without being overdressed. The odd part was the serving staff: the two older gentlemen were expert and capable, but the more junior servers were really awkward. I think they don't speak any English, since one called my sister "sir" and the other nodded vigorously when I said I wanted the rest of my filet to go -- but instead he tossed it which irked me, since it was tasty but just too big, same as the Parmesan scalloped potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Alexandria, VAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Quality food, well prepared, attentive service. While not inexpensive, the price of the dinner was in line with the quality of the food and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JW09Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner! It was our second time dining there, and I really appreciate how willing the restaurant is to modify the menu. Even with my annoying substitutions, the food has been amazing! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodPortcityfoodDined on 8/23/2014Had Dinner during Alexandria Restaurant Week 2014. We had not been to Geranio in maybe 20 or more years, and we had forgotten how good the food was. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLouwhoDined on 8/22/2014We were in town for the weekend and we really wanted to hit our favorite places. We were only able to catch dessert this time ...but as usual it was excellent! Never a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FavoritesLABVDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I have enjoyed every dinner at Geranio through the years. We ate there on a Friday night during restaurant week. It was as busy as our times during Valentines or New Years, and the service was still very good. My husband's steak was perfectly done. I enjoyed the scallops and most of all, the risotto. While you can take small children there, and you would be treated graciously, I don't know that I recommend it. Save this place for babysitter nights.Special Features:
- loud. portion and recipe issues.VStrDined on 8/22/2014The noise level was such that we had to yell to be heard across a 2 person table. The lobster risotto had very little risotto on it. The crab capella was badly thought out as you had to eat it as two separate meals. Overly oiled pasta and then second part of crab and asparagus. For the price $80 for two people, would expect much better.
- Foodie4lifeDined on 8/22/2014As always Geranio delivers a wonderful dining experience. Warm friendly atmosphere. Fresh, clean arugula and yellow tomato salad, mouth watering, rich mushroom risotto, pork loin with polenta and spinach, all topped by fresh berries and marsala creme. Good food, good wine, good friends, who could ask for more?Special Features:
- Great Find!Love2eatoutDined on 8/21/2014i'm not sure how we ever missed this restaurant - but we did and now we know what we've been missing! Restaurant Week brought us in and the Prix Fixe menu allowed us to sample some things we wouldn't have otherwise. So now we can attest to the fact that the appetizers, the entrées, the main courses, and the desserts are phenomenal. The service was personable and timely and a seamless shift change in the middle of our meal. The only drawback was that the noise level. We came in before most diners (by the way, they have "early bird" pricing most weeknights if you missed Restaurant Week) and it was quite pleasant. By the time the room filled up it was overwhelming. Very unfortunate, but the over experience was terrific.Special Features:
- Not the best experienceDesireeDined on 8/20/2014I went with a group of friends for Restaurant week. For starters, I ordered the bruschetta. When it got to me, instead of being warm it was cold. The second plate was the capellini with tuna in a red sauce. I can do a better pasta than that. It was so bland and so basic. Not impressed. The third plate was the pork loin, can you say cold food. Some of my friends got the salmon and they said it tasted like it was spoiled. The last course was the dessert, mostly everyone got the tiramisu, which they said was dry, I got the mango sorbet, and that was the only thing I enjoy. Not coming back. Our experience with the food was terrible, good thing they have attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- DeliciousCG13Dined on 8/19/2014Went here with some friends for Alexandria's Restaurant Week. None of us had ever been and thought with the restaurant week deal we would try something new. We were not disappointed. Everything was delicious. Very rich food. I had the PEI Mussels, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Seared Scallops with Potato and Scallion Pancake and the Red Berries with Sabayon. I would order any of the items again. I think my favorite was the Seared Scallops which were cooked perfectly and the Potato and Scallion Pancake was a tasty addition to the dish.Special Features:
- Great Ilalian FoodSKDCVIPDined on 8/18/2014During restaurant week, the serving sizes were perfect like in Italy so you could eat a few courses without feeling over loaded. The scallops were melt in your mouth. A must go to restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Night OutLunchnVegasVIPDined on 8/18/2014Meeting friends in Old Town, this is a great place to meet up and enjoy a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Will definitely come backPeterDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I went there on the recommendation of a friend. We went during restaurant week. Very nice 4-course selection. Memorable items were the wild mushroom risotto, the capellini with chicken, salmon, pork loin w/polenta, tiramisu, and the homemade vanilla ice cream not to be missed. The restaurant was active, but not overly loud-conversTion was easy. I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!CloweVIPDined on 8/16/2014I gave 4 stars because it was just SO loud, my friend and I were practically shouting at each other. But food was wonderful, best bruschetta and outstanding scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Dinner DateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Wonderful service, incredible food! Everyone should come here at least once for delectable Italian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix fixe at GeranioDiploDollDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. We went for the Restaurant Week prix fixe dinner -- choice of three for each course (appetizer, first course, entree, and dessert). If I had to single out one thing, it was the wild mushroom risotto, but it was all good -- fresh, a really reasonable portion (that is, not huge, enough so that you could have something at each course & not feel bloated), not overvinaigretted (salad). On the down side -- It was noisier than we liked, and we had a table for 2 that was so close to being in the line of traffic that our waiter had to warn me when he set a tray table behind me to serve another table (but he did warn me, which was on the plus side). I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wow!!GRL55Dined on 8/15/2014We dined during restaurant week at this hidden gem. The food was delectable and the ambiance was great. Our waiter was very attentive, even gave us the history of the restaurant. We were both very pleased and will definitely return again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014I wrote a pretty extensive review of Geranio on Yelp, so I'll try to keep this short. My friend and I came for dinner during Restaurant Week, and although the courses were decent in flavor, the portions were sadly tiny and underwhelming. For Restaurant Week, I expected to be leave full and happy, not looking forward to snacking on chips and salsa when I got home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlexandriaFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great Restaurant Week experience. Got the bread very late in the meal after a few requests but delicious menu. Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekMargGDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week was an excuse to try Geranio for the first time. We enjoyed a four course meal. My husband and I chose different dishes and we thought that each one was beautifully cooked and presented. In addition the wait staff were helpful and paced the service perfectly. We have already recommended Geranio to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not hotOct26Dined on 8/14/2014Mussels were overcooking and not hot. Scallops were served only 2pcs. Rissotto was not hot.Special Features:
- DisappointedSuzorDined on 8/14/2014I used to dine at Geranio 20+ years ago, and it was always a divine meal. With 2 friends from out of town, I looked forward to returning to one of my favorite restaurants. While it's still a very pretty and quiet place, much of the food just wasn't very good. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, and I had the mussels, which were the tinest overcooked mussels I've ever eaten, a chicken, tomato and pasta dish swimming in olive oil, seared scallops over fried polenta which was absolutely delicious although I only got 2 small scallops, and homemade mango sorbet which was the best part of the meal. My friends ordered a pork dish as their main and it was tough, overcooked and salty. Everyone agreed that dessert was the best course.
- Restaurant Week: BONUS, 4 Courses!love2usdayDined on 8/12/2014I was pleasantly surprised that this restaurant offered FOUR courses with its restaurant week deal, instead of just the regular 3 courses. Not only that, but what are being featured on their "restaurant week menu" are actually items that are their standard menu, so you really get a chance to sample their wares, which isn't that the whole point?!? :) My first 2 courses were divine, the mussels and the risotto. Sadly, my 2nd entree (scallops) was pretty salty - both the sauce and the potato cake it rested on. The Tiramisu was especially delicious, but after all that salt it came across very sweet though. I would definitely return as there were other times on the menu I want to try! Happy dining!Special Features:
- Nice Spot.LtrmanDined on 8/3/2014Great spot very good food and service. Home made ice creams a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerrDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food and service - as always. Geranio's never disappoints. And we love the special discounts. This is one of my all-time favorite restaurants in Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our fave restaurant in Old Town.RaeCVIPDined on 8/1/2014We love everything about this place. Food is always amazing, especially the risottos. I almost always get the mushroom risotto, my husband the lobster risotto, but the pastas (all made in house) and meat/seafood dishes are always great, too. Servers are fantastic... We go there enough that most of them know us by now. They are even very accommodating to our toddler (we try to go before 630 if he's with us), though I would generally describe it as more of a romantic place than a kid friendly place. Wine list is mostly Italian, includes lots of reasonably priced bottlesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicBabsyDined on 8/1/2014Geranio continues to be a good choice for casual, local dining.Special Features:
- LandLDined on 7/31/2014Our first time there in several years. Happy to see the standards still are high - a fine meal.Special Features:
- Geranio....mehOldTownEatsDined on 7/28/2014Had a group of seven. It was one of the only places where I could get a reservation. Waiter was brusque and rude and difficult to understand. Appetizer salads extremely small and nothing special. Food was just okay - nothing special. Rockfish was a bit fishy but cooked to the right temperature; made me think it wasn't super fresh. Risotto was a pile of gummy mush. Desserts overpriced and not special. They need to do better with all the food competition. Stuck in the 80s. It took a long time for the waiter to bring back our credit cards. Ambience is fine, food came out on time and the group had a good time, but I would have gone to Taverna Cretekou in a minute if it were open (closed on Mondays).Special Features:
- YummyKingStreetDuoDined on 7/18/2014I don't get out for lunch as often as I'd like, and when I do, I prefer a place like Geranio's --- nice menu selections and a quiet environment so I can hear my lunch partner without anyone raising their voices. I recommend this place often. It has never disappointed!Special Features:
- Alwys a perfect experienceOldTownOfficiandoDined on 7/14/2014My husband and I have enjoyed Geranio's for years. We took our children (10 and 12) with us to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We also had been there on Christmas Eve with our boys. The staff as always, were incredibly attentive and the food was perfect. I had the lobster risotto (my favorite) and my husband enjoyed the veal scallopini. We have yet to enjoy a less than impeccable experience at Geranio's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014This is a wonderful place for a romantic dinner for two who enjoy great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rissotto - Ooo La LaCaptainYumDined on 7/9/2014Found this on tripadvisor. What a fantastic meal. I had the crab lump pasta with asparagus, which was very good. But my wife had scallops and risotto which blew us away. Fantastic. My only regret of the evening is not ordering what she did! Great wine selection and excellent and happy service. Bread was warm too, which is a nice touch. Highly recommend. And they give you 10% discount if you get there and order before 7pm, which is nice for a premium meal like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only averageDinnerDowntownDCDined on 7/2/2014We were in a lovely quite spot by the window, and the wait staff was very nice. However, annoyed by a fly throughout the meal. Ribs, crab ravioli and lamb osso bucco all were good. However, bruchetta was like a small pizza with lots of cheese and no diced tomatoes; salad (too much vinegar in dressing) and risotto not very good. Disappointing overall.
- Nice meal in Old Town AlexandriaSophdineDined on 6/20/2014We chose Geranio as we had eaten there many years ago, but have since moved out of the area. We were not disappointed on our return. We were seated promptly, and we liked the many choices in each category on the menu. Our food was quite good and the service was excellent. The timing between courses was perfect and our wine was replenished accordingly.Special Features:
- Interesting Italian menuRosereviewDined on 6/15/2014The restaurant had a rustic, homely feel. What initially attracted us was the interesting menu which was not your typical run-of-the-mill Italian fare. We wanted to take our time and the waiter was very accommodating. One negative was that both of the ports that my husband ordered tasted like the bottles had been open a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ItalianwhockDined on 6/12/2014This is a very pleasant restaurant with just above average Italian food. Very attentive but not overbearing service.
- Spot on for the 4 of us !2AlexandriaDined on 6/11/2014From getting the reservation right (for a specific table) to the service of a great lunch meal, they did things right. I had told them that the 4 of us wanted to discuss some business and they were not intrusive but attentative. We had 3 kinds of risotto meals and the scallop dish and they were perfect. Easy to make this a come back place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.