722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: 7035480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (64)romantic (63)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (34)good for groups (29)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- rock fish over cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Service was good. My tuna was excellent. However the rockfish was dry from being over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningguysDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food. Great, friendly staff. Wonderful view of King Street right by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food, great service and intimate atmosphere. Perfect spot to celebrate our new marriage. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placeAmaLowDined on 9/12/2014We love going here for a nice dinner. The food and service are always excellent. This is my mother-in-law's favorite place to eat when she visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back.like2eatDined on 9/12/2014Couldn't ask for better service. The food was great. The salmon was the best I have had in years. The smoked chicken and pasta dish was outstanding. When we come back to Alexandria, Geranio will be on our must do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They win againtoodlesDined on 9/12/2014Once more returning and it as always was fabulous. I had osso buco which was outstanding. It is a gem in Old Town and we hope to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 6Traveler2Dined on 9/8/2014The service was excellent. Restaurant handled a large group quite well. And the food was yummy. Nicer inside than it looks on the outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did we miss this one?BrandySlushIsAMustDined on 9/7/2014We've gone to many Old Town Alexandria restaurants & somehow we missed this one?! It was INCREDIBLE & we will all be dreaming about the Lobster Risotto for many months to come! The service was impeccable and it was SO NICE to be able to HEAR each other at our table! Just a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsMarkNDined on 9/6/2014Celebrated my wifes birthday. Had a party of 8. Service was top notch. Food was quick and delicious. Everyone was very pleased. One of my guest was not pleased with her desert. The server quicker replace it with another selection by her, no issues. Hats off to Geranio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Risotto ExtraordinaireBowieBillVIPDined on 9/5/2014Geranio has the best risotto I've ever had, specifically the wild mushroom risotto on their regular menu. This is a great place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place OverallOradomdom1Dined on 8/30/2014I don't know why some people gave this place a bad review, but in my opinion it is a very nice place for dinner. The ambiance is perfect for a romantic dinner or a night out with friends and family. Food selection is great and fresh. Would definitely go back when I have a chance to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, spotty serviceSteveDined on 8/29/2014I went here with family visiting from out of town and had a pleasant enough time: the gnocchi appetizer was delicious and rich but not too heavy. I really liked the choice of arugula salads -- we all had different ones and they were fresh and bright without being overdressed. The odd part was the serving staff: the two older gentlemen were expert and capable, but the more junior servers were really awkward. I think they don't speak any English, since one called my sister "sir" and the other nodded vigorously when I said I wanted the rest of my filet to go -- but instead he tossed it which irked me, since it was tasty but just too big, same as the Parmesan scalloped potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Alexandria, VAMayorBB331Dined on 8/28/2014Quality food, well prepared, attentive service. While not inexpensive, the price of the dinner was in line with the quality of the food and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner!PeduzVIPDined on 8/27/2014We went here for a friend's birthday dinner. The food was great. There were five of us and everyone loved their meals. My boyfriend had the lobster risotto which was delicious. I forgot to tell the wait staff that it was my friend's birthday, but they were very observant and at the end of the meal brought her a piece of tiramisu (delicious) with a candle in it. Now, that's service! If you are looking for a quaint spot for lunch/dinner then this is the place! I loved everything about this place and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- JW09Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner! It was our second time dining there, and I really appreciate how willing the restaurant is to modify the menu. Even with my annoying substitutions, the food has been amazing! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodPortcityfoodDined on 8/23/2014Had Dinner during Alexandria Restaurant Week 2014. We had not been to Geranio in maybe 20 or more years, and we had forgotten how good the food was. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLouwhoDined on 8/22/2014We were in town for the weekend and we really wanted to hit our favorite places. We were only able to catch dessert this time ...but as usual it was excellent! Never a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FavoritesLABVDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I have enjoyed every dinner at Geranio through the years. We ate there on a Friday night during restaurant week. It was as busy as our times during Valentines or New Years, and the service was still very good. My husband's steak was perfectly done. I enjoyed the scallops and most of all, the risotto. While you can take small children there, and you would be treated graciously, I don't know that I recommend it. Save this place for babysitter nights.Special Features:
- loud. portion and recipe issues.VStrDined on 8/22/2014The noise level was such that we had to yell to be heard across a 2 person table. The lobster risotto had very little risotto on it. The crab capella was badly thought out as you had to eat it as two separate meals. Overly oiled pasta and then second part of crab and asparagus. For the price $80 for two people, would expect much better.
- Foodie4lifeDined on 8/22/2014As always Geranio delivers a wonderful dining experience. Warm friendly atmosphere. Fresh, clean arugula and yellow tomato salad, mouth watering, rich mushroom risotto, pork loin with polenta and spinach, all topped by fresh berries and marsala creme. Good food, good wine, good friends, who could ask for more?Special Features:
- Great Find!Love2eatoutDined on 8/21/2014i'm not sure how we ever missed this restaurant - but we did and now we know what we've been missing! Restaurant Week brought us in and the Prix Fixe menu allowed us to sample some things we wouldn't have otherwise. So now we can attest to the fact that the appetizers, the entrées, the main courses, and the desserts are phenomenal. The service was personable and timely and a seamless shift change in the middle of our meal. The only drawback was that the noise level. We came in before most diners (by the way, they have "early bird" pricing most weeknights if you missed Restaurant Week) and it was quite pleasant. By the time the room filled up it was overwhelming. Very unfortunate, but the over experience was terrific.Special Features:
- Not the best experienceDesireeDined on 8/20/2014I went with a group of friends for Restaurant week. For starters, I ordered the bruschetta. When it got to me, instead of being warm it was cold. The second plate was the capellini with tuna in a red sauce. I can do a better pasta than that. It was so bland and so basic. Not impressed. The third plate was the pork loin, can you say cold food. Some of my friends got the salmon and they said it tasted like it was spoiled. The last course was the dessert, mostly everyone got the tiramisu, which they said was dry, I got the mango sorbet, and that was the only thing I enjoy. Not coming back. Our experience with the food was terrible, good thing they have attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- DeliciousCG13Dined on 8/19/2014Went here with some friends for Alexandria's Restaurant Week. None of us had ever been and thought with the restaurant week deal we would try something new. We were not disappointed. Everything was delicious. Very rich food. I had the PEI Mussels, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Seared Scallops with Potato and Scallion Pancake and the Red Berries with Sabayon. I would order any of the items again. I think my favorite was the Seared Scallops which were cooked perfectly and the Potato and Scallion Pancake was a tasty addition to the dish.Special Features:
- Great Ilalian FoodSKDCVIPDined on 8/18/2014During restaurant week, the serving sizes were perfect like in Italy so you could eat a few courses without feeling over loaded. The scallops were melt in your mouth. A must go to restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Night OutLunchnVegasVIPDined on 8/18/2014Meeting friends in Old Town, this is a great place to meet up and enjoy a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Will definitely come backPeterDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I went there on the recommendation of a friend. We went during restaurant week. Very nice 4-course selection. Memorable items were the wild mushroom risotto, the capellini with chicken, salmon, pork loin w/polenta, tiramisu, and the homemade vanilla ice cream not to be missed. The restaurant was active, but not overly loud-conversTion was easy. I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Italian foodKh25VIPDined on 8/17/2014We went here for restaurant week and had a great experience. The ambiance is really great, the food was delicious, and we had no complaints about service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!CloweVIPDined on 8/16/2014I gave 4 stars because it was just SO loud, my friend and I were practically shouting at each other. But food was wonderful, best bruschetta and outstanding scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I booked Geranio for the summer Restaurant Week special and came with a group of 8. We got a nice table and had a great time: the RW menu was broad enough that everyone found something to eat, and we all enjoyed the evening very much. Having four courses on offer is a really great deal and while the portions are smaller than what you might expect, the food is rich and filling so everyone felt that they had had enough to eat...and our group included some big eaters!! We'll definitely keep it on our radar for winter Restaurant Week!Special Features:
- Romantic Dinner DateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Wonderful service, incredible food! Everyone should come here at least once for delectable Italian!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix fixe at GeranioDiploDollDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. We went for the Restaurant Week prix fixe dinner -- choice of three for each course (appetizer, first course, entree, and dessert). If I had to single out one thing, it was the wild mushroom risotto, but it was all good -- fresh, a really reasonable portion (that is, not huge, enough so that you could have something at each course & not feel bloated), not overvinaigretted (salad). On the down side -- It was noisier than we liked, and we had a table for 2 that was so close to being in the line of traffic that our waiter had to warn me when he set a tray table behind me to serve another table (but he did warn me, which was on the plus side). I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wow!!GRL55Dined on 8/15/2014We dined during restaurant week at this hidden gem. The food was delectable and the ambiance was great. Our waiter was very attentive, even gave us the history of the restaurant. We were both very pleased and will definitely return again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014I wrote a pretty extensive review of Geranio on Yelp, so I'll try to keep this short. My friend and I came for dinner during Restaurant Week, and although the courses were decent in flavor, the portions were sadly tiny and underwhelming. For Restaurant Week, I expected to be leave full and happy, not looking forward to snacking on chips and salsa when I got home...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAlexandriaFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great Restaurant Week experience. Got the bread very late in the meal after a few requests but delicious menu. Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekMargGDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week was an excuse to try Geranio for the first time. We enjoyed a four course meal. My husband and I chose different dishes and we thought that each one was beautifully cooked and presented. In addition the wait staff were helpful and paced the service perfectly. We have already recommended Geranio to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not hotOct26Dined on 8/14/2014Mussels were overcooking and not hot. Scallops were served only 2pcs. Rissotto was not hot.Special Features:
- DisappointedSuzorDined on 8/14/2014I used to dine at Geranio 20+ years ago, and it was always a divine meal. With 2 friends from out of town, I looked forward to returning to one of my favorite restaurants. While it's still a very pretty and quiet place, much of the food just wasn't very good. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, and I had the mussels, which were the tinest overcooked mussels I've ever eaten, a chicken, tomato and pasta dish swimming in olive oil, seared scallops over fried polenta which was absolutely delicious although I only got 2 small scallops, and homemade mango sorbet which was the best part of the meal. My friends ordered a pork dish as their main and it was tough, overcooked and salty. Everyone agreed that dessert was the best course.
- Restaurant Week: BONUS, 4 Courses!love2usdayDined on 8/12/2014I was pleasantly surprised that this restaurant offered FOUR courses with its restaurant week deal, instead of just the regular 3 courses. Not only that, but what are being featured on their "restaurant week menu" are actually items that are their standard menu, so you really get a chance to sample their wares, which isn't that the whole point?!? :) My first 2 courses were divine, the mussels and the risotto. Sadly, my 2nd entree (scallops) was pretty salty - both the sauce and the potato cake it rested on. The Tiramisu was especially delicious, but after all that salt it came across very sweet though. I would definitely return as there were other times on the menu I want to try! Happy dining!Special Features:
- Nice Spot.LtrmanDined on 8/3/2014Great spot very good food and service. Home made ice creams a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerrDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food and service - as always. Geranio's never disappoints. And we love the special discounts. This is one of my all-time favorite restaurants in Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.