722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: (703) 548-0088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Geranio - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)romantic (76)special occasion (73)fit for foodies (66)notable wine list (37)good for groups (32)great for lunch (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Beautiful little ItalianChuckVIPDined on 11/23/2014Quiet and charming Italian restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. Delicious food. Excellent service. Well priced. Mussels in Red Sauce is an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vivalavidaVIPDined on 11/23/2014Our group of 12 people gathered there for a post wedding celebration and we had a terrific dinner. Everything went really well with the owner and waiters attentive to us all the time. Perfect starts with appetizers and the wine, then soups and salads, then dinner and finally desserts and coffee. Everyone had a blast and everything was wonderfully delicious! Everyone was raving about their risotto's. I had the Seared Rare Tuna with Herbed Mushroom Risotto, Wilted Arugula and White Truffle Oil. It was heavenly! We had never been to this restaurant. It was a nice find and we plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/22/2014Food was very good but I was most impressed with the service. I'd go back again without a doubtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An annoying dissapointment.JeanDined on 11/14/2014Disinterested wait and hostess staff. Waiters rushing by and repeatedly bumping into table. Caesar salad and pasta dishes dissapointing.
- Runner1Dined on 11/8/2014We wanted to celebrate our best friend's birthday and someone suggested this restaurant....From start to finish it was perfect! There is not one thing we would have changed. The staff was so friendly and professional, they even picked up and served a special birthday cake we had ordered from a local bakery. The portions are generous and the price fair....who could ask for anything more ! We will be back for sure .....a 10+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt abandoned half the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014The food was quite good, well done Italian fare. We were mostly well attended, but there were many instances where I knew the service was slower than it should be. It was Saturday night, to be fair, so I can be understanding. Still, it felt like the food wasn't coming as quickly as it should have.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We have enjoyed Geranio for years. We continue to come back, because they always have an excellent selection of great entrees - both meats and fish - and the food is always perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014This is a great restaurant to come for a special occasion. Food was delicious and waiter was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood ItalianCliffDined on 11/7/2014You won't find traditional Italian fare here (lasagna, chicken parm, etc); what you will find is carefully prepared seafood dishes with an Italian flare. I recommend the lobster risotto, though all of the risotto dishes looked appealing. Intimate dining room that is quiet enough to carry on a conversation with your table, though not stuffy. Decent wine selection with the fairest bottle prices I've seen in Old Town. Although Geranio's is known for its seafood entrees, I'd like to mention that their tiramesu is the best I've ever had, so definitely save room for dessert. Service was somewhat slow , but our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list, and helped us pair the perfect wine with our entree.Special Features:
- I've eaten here a lot; experienceNiceDined on 11/7/2014The way the table was located I was bumped over 50 times by the waitstaff walking by. That was uncomfortable. I always order the lobster risotto. It was under "with hard pieces of rice and several small slices of onion which it has never had before. However this was a very off night. If I had not had such a great meals in the past, this rating would have been a single star.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2014Great find! Perfect for our 15th wedding anniversary and they even gave us a free dessert! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- A fine dining experienceRob4FoodDined on 10/30/2014I really enjoyed my dining experience: the ambiance, the food, the service, and the price. I had their special for the night: swordfish over risotto and it was excellent. My son had the prosciutto wrapped tuna over risotto and he equally enjoyed his.Special Features:
- Nice FindsctravelerDined on 10/25/2014Never made it to Geranio when in Alexandria before. Lovely restaurant with excellent food and quality service. Definitely a return will be planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014With beautiful light amber walls in the large room, a fireplace and a gorgeous painting of geraniums, it is a lovely restaurant to celebrate an anniversary!Special Features:
- Great Food Great Serviceharper44Dined on 10/24/2014The bruschetta was delicious, the osso buco was tender and flavorful and the muscle appetizer disappeared quickly. All in all the food was excellent and the server was very attentive and personable. I would recommend this resturant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...ZylahODined on 10/24/2014I think that if small restaurants want to offer up their space as a private function venue they should do that. But not if every aspect of the dining experience is sub par for the regular guests that are forced into a closet of space. The quality suffers, the service suffers and ultimately, the guests suffer more than necessary. Please, just shut the place down for your event. It's a pretty negative experience for the less important guests. We were quite disappointed.
- Relaxing quiet and romanticPattyDined on 10/22/2014Perfect place for dinner after a stressful day-- great service, good wine and a cozy fireplace for a chilly night! We love it!Special Features:
- JohndcDined on 10/18/2014We had a very nice meal. The osso bucco, lamb shank and calamari are terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodDined on 10/18/2014A cozy romantic Italian restaurant in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. We loved the shrimp starter and shrimp linguini. Bread was good and plentiful. Service was attentive and responsive. We did not like the Bruschetta and even though we offered to pay for it when we did not eat it, they refused to add it to our bill.Special Features:
- Coach JoeCoachJDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining at Geranio for many years and still consider it our "go to restaurant" for special family occasions. The quality of the food and wines are always top notch, the prices are reasonable and the service staff are very patient, professional and accommodating. A table in the main dining room near the fire place is one of the most romantic spots in town.Special Features:
- Another outstanding mealGerryDined on 10/17/2014We experienced another fine evening with friends at Geranios Friday evening. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Look forward to our next lunch or dinner at one of our favorite places in Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We had a reservation for 4. Everyone loved their entrees - I specifically had the scallop risotto, YUM! I heard the filet was amazng too. I didnt't mind the sliw service because it gave us time to chat but when we entered the restaurant, we had to wait several min before someone greeted us and took us to the table. I got the impression they were understaffed for a weeknight. Great meal though; we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable2AlexandriaDined on 10/16/2014Never a crowd for lunch and folks are missing a great spot.Special Features:
- Food was spectacular!DiningDivaDined on 10/14/2014We had a large group (13 people) and they were able to accommodate us very nicely. All of our entrees were wonderful but the seared sea scallops were amazing! Every risotto that was ordered was flavorful and perfectly cooked. Gordon Ramsey would be proud!! We enjoyed the food so much that five of us returned the following night to try the entrees that were missed the first night (and, of course, have more sea scallops!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Geranios!AbbyFoodieDined on 10/14/2014We go to Geranios for special occasions, when we have friends in town, and any other time I can get my husband to take me to dinner (thankfully, that is often). They have a great system if you tell them your birthday, anniversary, etc., they send you an email coupon with a discount. I would go there anyway. Food great, attentive waiters and service great. Quiet. Fireplace. Tables not close to each other (one of my restaurant pet peeves). Private room on the side for groups. We live nearby. Geranios is a local favorite. Had some of the best salmon ever (and I'm a salmon snob). We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Perfect as alwaysvkh49Dined on 10/3/2014Have been dining at Geranio's for years now and always find it to be wonderful. The service is impeccable, the food outstanding. This time I had the lobster risotto which was just perfect. Everyone else in our party, seven of us in total had a great meal as well. Included were Osso Bucco, Crabmeat Ravioli, Scallop Risotto and Veal Scallopini. Desserts were delicious too. Will be keeping Geranio's in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!YumYDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I came here for our wedding anniversary and had just a lovely evening. The restaurant has an intimate and romantic feeling. The service was fantastic, and the food was absolutely delicious. Praise to the chef and staff for their hard work. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance for romantic dinnertutujessicaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Dimly lit, with candles and flowers at tables. We were there later in the night, so only a few groups were dining. Ambience conducive to conversation. Good selection of Italian wines, some quite reasonable for quality. Food was good, but portions big, so we only had pasta, no room for entree and dessert. Service was good but not particularly memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rock fish over cookedAlwayshungryDined on 9/13/2014Service was good. My tuna was excellent. However the rockfish was dry from being over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningguysDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food. Great, friendly staff. Wonderful view of King Street right by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food, great service and intimate atmosphere. Perfect spot to celebrate our new marriage. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placeAmaLowDined on 9/12/2014We love going here for a nice dinner. The food and service are always excellent. This is my mother-in-law's favorite place to eat when she visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back.like2eatDined on 9/12/2014Couldn't ask for better service. The food was great. The salmon was the best I have had in years. The smoked chicken and pasta dish was outstanding. When we come back to Alexandria, Geranio will be on our must do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They win againtoodlesDined on 9/12/2014Once more returning and it as always was fabulous. I had osso buco which was outstanding. It is a gem in Old Town and we hope to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 6Traveler2Dined on 9/8/2014The service was excellent. Restaurant handled a large group quite well. And the food was yummy. Nicer inside than it looks on the outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did we miss this one?BrandySlushIsAMustDined on 9/7/2014We've gone to many Old Town Alexandria restaurants & somehow we missed this one?! It was INCREDIBLE & we will all be dreaming about the Lobster Risotto for many months to come! The service was impeccable and it was SO NICE to be able to HEAR each other at our table! Just a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsMarkNDined on 9/6/2014Celebrated my wifes birthday. Had a party of 8. Service was top notch. Food was quick and delicious. Everyone was very pleased. One of my guest was not pleased with her desert. The server quicker replace it with another selection by her, no issues. Hats off to Geranio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Risotto ExtraordinaireBowieBillVIPDined on 9/5/2014Geranio has the best risotto I've ever had, specifically the wild mushroom risotto on their regular menu. This is a great place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place OverallOradomdom1Dined on 8/30/2014I don't know why some people gave this place a bad review, but in my opinion it is a very nice place for dinner. The ambiance is perfect for a romantic dinner or a night out with friends and family. Food selection is great and fresh. Would definitely go back when I have a chance to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, spotty serviceSteveDined on 8/29/2014I went here with family visiting from out of town and had a pleasant enough time: the gnocchi appetizer was delicious and rich but not too heavy. I really liked the choice of arugula salads -- we all had different ones and they were fresh and bright without being overdressed. The odd part was the serving staff: the two older gentlemen were expert and capable, but the more junior servers were really awkward. I think they don't speak any English, since one called my sister "sir" and the other nodded vigorously when I said I wanted the rest of my filet to go -- but instead he tossed it which irked me, since it was tasty but just too big, same as the Parmesan scalloped potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.