722 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.geranio.net/
- Phone: 7035480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Troy Clayton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only)
- Catering: Limited availability, please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Geranio Restaurant has several attractive private dining options and caters to all types of business dining, rehearsal dinners as well as birthday and anniversary celebrations. Several rooms can accomodate 15 to 55 people and smaller groups can often have a portion of the smaller rooms privately.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Clayton 8889160619
- Special Events: Sign up as a preferred guest on our website for email newsletters keeping you informed of specials and upcoming events!
A word from Geranio
Geranio Restaurant redefines Italian Cuisine in Old Town Alexandria by serving Chef/Owner Troy Clayton's modern Italian Cuisine in a warm romantic atmosphere. You will be catered to by professional & unobtrusive staff with more than thirty years of combined experience serving Geranio's guests. Geranio's Wine Spectator Award winning wine list will provide the perfect compliment to your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Geranio reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)romantic (71)special occasion (67)fit for foodies (59)notable wine list (33)good for groups (31)great for lunch (15)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Never made it to Geranio when in Alexandria before. Lovely restaurant with excellent food and quality service. Definitely a return will be planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014With beautiful light amber walls in the large room, a fireplace and a gorgeous painting of geraniums, it is a lovely restaurant to celebrate an anniversary!Special Features:
- Great Food Great Serviceharper44Dined on 10/24/2014The bruschetta was delicious, the osso buco was tender and flavorful and the muscle appetizer disappeared quickly. All in all the food was excellent and the server was very attentive and personable. I would recommend this resturant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...ZylahODined on 10/24/2014I think that if small restaurants want to offer up their space as a private function venue they should do that. But not if every aspect of the dining experience is sub par for the regular guests that are forced into a closet of space. The quality suffers, the service suffers and ultimately, the guests suffer more than necessary. Please, just shut the place down for your event. It's a pretty negative experience for the less important guests. We were quite disappointed.
- JohndcDined on 10/18/2014We had a very nice meal. The osso bucco, lamb shank and calamari are terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodDined on 10/18/2014A cozy romantic Italian restaurant in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. We loved the shrimp starter and shrimp linguini. Bread was good and plentiful. Service was attentive and responsive. We did not like the Bruschetta and even though we offered to pay for it when we did not eat it, they refused to add it to our bill.Special Features:
- Coach JoeCoachJDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining at Geranio for many years and still consider it our "go to restaurant" for special family occasions. The quality of the food and wines are always top notch, the prices are reasonable and the service staff are very patient, professional and accommodating. A table in the main dining room near the fire place is one of the most romantic spots in town.Special Features:
- Another outstanding mealGerryDined on 10/17/2014We experienced another fine evening with friends at Geranios Friday evening. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. Look forward to our next lunch or dinner at one of our favorite places in Old Town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We had a reservation for 4. Everyone loved their entrees - I specifically had the scallop risotto, YUM! I heard the filet was amazng too. I didnt't mind the sliw service because it gave us time to chat but when we entered the restaurant, we had to wait several min before someone greeted us and took us to the table. I got the impression they were understaffed for a weeknight. Great meal though; we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable2AlexandriaDined on 10/16/2014Never a crowd for lunch and folks are missing a great spot.Special Features:
- Food was spectacular!DiningDivaDined on 10/14/2014We had a large group (13 people) and they were able to accommodate us very nicely. All of our entrees were wonderful but the seared sea scallops were amazing! Every risotto that was ordered was flavorful and perfectly cooked. Gordon Ramsey would be proud!! We enjoyed the food so much that five of us returned the following night to try the entrees that were missed the first night (and, of course, have more sea scallops!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Geranios!AbbyFoodieDined on 10/14/2014We go to Geranios for special occasions, when we have friends in town, and any other time I can get my husband to take me to dinner (thankfully, that is often). They have a great system if you tell them your birthday, anniversary, etc., they send you an email coupon with a discount. I would go there anyway. Food great, attentive waiters and service great. Quiet. Fireplace. Tables not close to each other (one of my restaurant pet peeves). Private room on the side for groups. We live nearby. Geranios is a local favorite. Had some of the best salmon ever (and I'm a salmon snob). We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Perfect as alwaysvkh49Dined on 10/3/2014Have been dining at Geranio's for years now and always find it to be wonderful. The service is impeccable, the food outstanding. This time I had the lobster risotto which was just perfect. Everyone else in our party, seven of us in total had a great meal as well. Included were Osso Bucco, Crabmeat Ravioli, Scallop Risotto and Veal Scallopini. Desserts were delicious too. Will be keeping Geranio's in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!YumYDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I came here for our wedding anniversary and had just a lovely evening. The restaurant has an intimate and romantic feeling. The service was fantastic, and the food was absolutely delicious. Praise to the chef and staff for their hard work. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance for romantic dinnertutujessicaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Dimly lit, with candles and flowers at tables. We were there later in the night, so only a few groups were dining. Ambience conducive to conversation. Good selection of Italian wines, some quite reasonable for quality. Food was good, but portions big, so we only had pasta, no room for entree and dessert. Service was good but not particularly memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rock fish over cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Service was good. My tuna was excellent. However the rockfish was dry from being over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningguysDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food. Great, friendly staff. Wonderful view of King Street right by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food, great service and intimate atmosphere. Perfect spot to celebrate our new marriage. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placeAmaLowDined on 9/12/2014We love going here for a nice dinner. The food and service are always excellent. This is my mother-in-law's favorite place to eat when she visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back.like2eatDined on 9/12/2014Couldn't ask for better service. The food was great. The salmon was the best I have had in years. The smoked chicken and pasta dish was outstanding. When we come back to Alexandria, Geranio will be on our must do list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They win againtoodlesDined on 9/12/2014Once more returning and it as always was fabulous. I had osso buco which was outstanding. It is a gem in Old Town and we hope to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 6Traveler2Dined on 9/8/2014The service was excellent. Restaurant handled a large group quite well. And the food was yummy. Nicer inside than it looks on the outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did we miss this one?BrandySlushIsAMustDined on 9/7/2014We've gone to many Old Town Alexandria restaurants & somehow we missed this one?! It was INCREDIBLE & we will all be dreaming about the Lobster Risotto for many months to come! The service was impeccable and it was SO NICE to be able to HEAR each other at our table! Just a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsMarkNDined on 9/6/2014Celebrated my wifes birthday. Had a party of 8. Service was top notch. Food was quick and delicious. Everyone was very pleased. One of my guest was not pleased with her desert. The server quicker replace it with another selection by her, no issues. Hats off to Geranio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Risotto ExtraordinaireBowieBillVIPDined on 9/5/2014Geranio has the best risotto I've ever had, specifically the wild mushroom risotto on their regular menu. This is a great place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place OverallOradomdom1Dined on 8/30/2014I don't know why some people gave this place a bad review, but in my opinion it is a very nice place for dinner. The ambiance is perfect for a romantic dinner or a night out with friends and family. Food selection is great and fresh. Would definitely go back when I have a chance to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, spotty serviceSteveDined on 8/29/2014I went here with family visiting from out of town and had a pleasant enough time: the gnocchi appetizer was delicious and rich but not too heavy. I really liked the choice of arugula salads -- we all had different ones and they were fresh and bright without being overdressed. The odd part was the serving staff: the two older gentlemen were expert and capable, but the more junior servers were really awkward. I think they don't speak any English, since one called my sister "sir" and the other nodded vigorously when I said I wanted the rest of my filet to go -- but instead he tossed it which irked me, since it was tasty but just too big, same as the Parmesan scalloped potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in Alexandria, VAMayorBB331Dined on 8/28/2014Quality food, well prepared, attentive service. While not inexpensive, the price of the dinner was in line with the quality of the food and the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner!PeduzVIPDined on 8/27/2014We went here for a friend's birthday dinner. The food was great. There were five of us and everyone loved their meals. My boyfriend had the lobster risotto which was delicious. I forgot to tell the wait staff that it was my friend's birthday, but they were very observant and at the end of the meal brought her a piece of tiramisu (delicious) with a candle in it. Now, that's service! If you are looking for a quaint spot for lunch/dinner then this is the place! I loved everything about this place and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- JW09Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great dinner! It was our second time dining there, and I really appreciate how willing the restaurant is to modify the menu. Even with my annoying substitutions, the food has been amazing! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodPortcityfoodDined on 8/23/2014Had Dinner during Alexandria Restaurant Week 2014. We had not been to Geranio in maybe 20 or more years, and we had forgotten how good the food was. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLouwhoDined on 8/22/2014We were in town for the weekend and we really wanted to hit our favorite places. We were only able to catch dessert this time ...but as usual it was excellent! Never a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our FavoritesLABVVIPDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I have enjoyed every dinner at Geranio through the years. We ate there on a Friday night during restaurant week. It was as busy as our times during Valentines or New Years, and the service was still very good. My husband's steak was perfectly done. I enjoyed the scallops and most of all, the risotto. While you can take small children there, and you would be treated graciously, I don't know that I recommend it. Save this place for babysitter nights.Special Features:
- loud. portion and recipe issues.VStrDined on 8/22/2014The noise level was such that we had to yell to be heard across a 2 person table. The lobster risotto had very little risotto on it. The crab capella was badly thought out as you had to eat it as two separate meals. Overly oiled pasta and then second part of crab and asparagus. For the price $80 for two people, would expect much better.
- Foodie4lifeDined on 8/22/2014As always Geranio delivers a wonderful dining experience. Warm friendly atmosphere. Fresh, clean arugula and yellow tomato salad, mouth watering, rich mushroom risotto, pork loin with polenta and spinach, all topped by fresh berries and marsala creme. Good food, good wine, good friends, who could ask for more?Special Features:
- Great Find!Love2eatoutDined on 8/21/2014i'm not sure how we ever missed this restaurant - but we did and now we know what we've been missing! Restaurant Week brought us in and the Prix Fixe menu allowed us to sample some things we wouldn't have otherwise. So now we can attest to the fact that the appetizers, the entrées, the main courses, and the desserts are phenomenal. The service was personable and timely and a seamless shift change in the middle of our meal. The only drawback was that the noise level. We came in before most diners (by the way, they have "early bird" pricing most weeknights if you missed Restaurant Week) and it was quite pleasant. By the time the room filled up it was overwhelming. Very unfortunate, but the over experience was terrific.Special Features:
- Not the best experienceDesireeDined on 8/20/2014I went with a group of friends for Restaurant week. For starters, I ordered the bruschetta. When it got to me, instead of being warm it was cold. The second plate was the capellini with tuna in a red sauce. I can do a better pasta than that. It was so bland and so basic. Not impressed. The third plate was the pork loin, can you say cold food. Some of my friends got the salmon and they said it tasted like it was spoiled. The last course was the dessert, mostly everyone got the tiramisu, which they said was dry, I got the mango sorbet, and that was the only thing I enjoy. Not coming back. Our experience with the food was terrible, good thing they have attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- DeliciousCG13Dined on 8/19/2014Went here with some friends for Alexandria's Restaurant Week. None of us had ever been and thought with the restaurant week deal we would try something new. We were not disappointed. Everything was delicious. Very rich food. I had the PEI Mussels, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Seared Scallops with Potato and Scallion Pancake and the Red Berries with Sabayon. I would order any of the items again. I think my favorite was the Seared Scallops which were cooked perfectly and the Potato and Scallion Pancake was a tasty addition to the dish.Special Features:
- Great Ilalian FoodSKDCVIPDined on 8/18/2014During restaurant week, the serving sizes were perfect like in Italy so you could eat a few courses without feeling over loaded. The scallops were melt in your mouth. A must go to restaurant!Special Features:
- Great Night OutLunchnVegasVIPDined on 8/18/2014Meeting friends in Old Town, this is a great place to meet up and enjoy a wonderful dinner.Special Features: