950 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gbrowns.com/
- Phone: 2023934499
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 4:30pm (last seating at 3:30pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jim Foss
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer limited off-site catering. Please call the restaurant and speak with our special events coordinator for more details at 202.393.4499. If you prefer, please feel free to email your inquiry to email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for that perfect place to host your special event...well here we are. We can accommodate large groups in the main dining room with a menu designed especially for your birthday, anniversary, rehearsal dinner, corporate event or casual gathering. Whatever the occasion, we will help you create a memorable and personal event amid our beautiful setting.
- Private Party Contact: Ayanna Brown 2023934499
- Entertainment: We offer Live Jazz every Wednesday from 6:30pm until 10:30pm and Sunday's for our Jazz Brunch from 10:00am until 3:00pm. (The last seating for brunch is at 2:00pm)
- Cross Street: Between K and I Streets
- Public Transit: We are conveniently located near the McPherson Square metro station on the orange and blue lines. Exit the metro at Vermont Avenue and walk one-half block North on 15th Street. Traveling on the red line stop at Farragut North. Walk two blocks east on K Street. Turn right at the corner of 15th and K. We are mid-way through the block on the right.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer Valet Parking Service nightly beginning at 5:00pm and Sunday"s for our Jazz Brunch beginning at 10:00am. There is a fee of $8 per car. In addition, there are several near by parking garages and limited on-street parking. Please make sure to read the signs and meters in reference to time restrictions and fees.
A word from Georgia Brown's
Come and experience our lively interpretation of South Carolina Low-Country cuisine. Enjoy good southern food, servers who bubble over with hospitality, and a dining room that is truly distinctive. With its honey-colored walls, golden woods and bronze sculptures that crawl across the ceiling, designer Adam Tihany has created an atmosphere to awaken your senses. What better place to enjoy low country cuisine than in this contemporary environment celebrating the south. Offering the flavor of the South - the Soul of Washington; where we will be sure to leave a light burning in the window for you, our guests.Continued
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gbrowns
Visit our Facebook page: www.georgiabrowns.com/facebook
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gbrowns
Visit our Facebook page: www.georgiabrowns.com/facebook
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Georgia Brown's reviews from OpenTable diners
444 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (183)fit for foodies (156)good for groups (155)great for brunch (137)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (93)great for lunch (86)hot spot (74)great for outdoor dining (40)vibrant bar scene (36)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (26)notable wine list (19)scenic view (12)Show More
- It PAINS me to write this...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014It PAINS me to write this because I LOVE Georgia Brown's. When I was in DC this summer I dined there for lunch an dinner twice because the food was so good. I was thrilled to share the experience with my family while we were in DC over Labor Day weekend and unfortunately the food was bland; nothing like my previous experiences. It was disappointing, especially after how much I hyped up the restaurant to everyone. I don't know what chef was on duty that evening but the result wasn't up the GB standards.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious southlookingforgoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014We discovered this restaurant on a weekend trip to Washington. Conveniently located within walking distance of the Capital Hilton where we stayed, Georgia Brown's serves up southern cuisine with a contemporary flair. I had the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and collard greens. It was flavorful, tender and not greasy. My daughter had the catfish offered grilled or breaded with cornmeal and fried. She selected the grilled version over rice. The fish was spicy but not overpowered by the seasonings. The biscuits and cornbread were served with a delicious peach butter. There is a large selection of wines and cocktails. The ambience is southern elegant. It was a nice experience and I would definitely recommend Georgia Brown's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved IT!!!NDB83127Dined on 8/30/2014Great experience for my date and I!! Unforgettable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey for the QualityFanta61Dined on 8/28/2014I was not as "blown away" as I expected to be. I had been wanting to dine here for many months. It might be that this was a low season (just before Labor Day weekend) so there might not have been as much of an incentive to impress. My guests and I could not understand why dessert was served in a Pyrex measuring cup - it did not reflect the decor nor fit the overall dining experience at all. Even a mason jar would have been out of place with the table setting. I might give it another chance with a Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Sweet Georgia Brown!NYAJawesomeDined on 8/28/2014My wife and I went to Georgia Brown's for a pre theatre dinner The service was impeccable. Our waiter was very responsive and explained each dish and appetizer fully. My wife had the pork chop which in many ways was left a good steak. I wanted to try something different and had the Charleston Perlau which was delicious. The combination of flavors of the shrimp, andouille, and duck was unbelievabe along with the flavorful red rice. Georgia Brown's is a downtown gem!Special Features:
- Lunch timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Business lunch. Excellent service, good food and a suitable atmosphere for discussion. I will plan additional luncheons there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Last Night out in D.c.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014We found Georgia Brown's on Open Table. Their web sight and reviews were very inviting. My crew includes 4 kids ages 7-13. I Loved that they provided 1/2 portions of certain dishes rather than the drab children's menu. Two had Fried Chicken and one Mac and cheese. They loved it. I also had the chicken and it was delicious...... Not difficult to eat at all if you are dressed up. My husband and son had the cowboy steak and raved about it. I would definitely go back if I lived closer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and good entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014We were a group of eight, and service was impeccable. food was great, and the entertaiment was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Sunday brunch was great. The staff was attentive and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomelove2eat84Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great we made reservations we were 10 mins late but was seated right away no wait. The service was incredible and the waiter was very knowledgeable about the dishes and made good suggestions. He accidentally threw away my friend's leftovers that she wanted to take and the kitchen made her a whole new dish to take with no cost. The food was good and the only thing that need a little salt was the spinach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining Experiencejcp4326Dined on 8/23/2014My out of town guest as well as a local friend thought that this was one of the best restaurants in the DC area. I agree whole heartedly. JPSpecial Features:
- First time Georgia BrownsGerry56Dined on 8/22/2014Table for 4. Friday night. Server was professional and efficient; although there was no direction or guidance given on the menu to our clueless Yankee crowd. Nevertheless, mussels and deviled eggs were ordered. We might have done better, but we are not aware as to how. We loved the mussels: fresh, seasoned, simple. The deviled eggs were reminiscent of childhood picnics. Delicious, full of flavor and memories. We already loved this place! Entres were Carolina Pelau and Fried Chicken, both excellently prepared; both portions way too large for us. We had to refuse dessert; and being travelers , we could not even take away our entrees. ...to our own loss. The food was excellent. wished we could have fit in dessert.Special Features:
- Very good restaurantElieHADined on 8/21/2014Very good food and service. To be recommended for sure.Special Features:
- Always a winner!MDfoodieDined on 8/21/2014The grilled chicken wedge salad is great; and, of course, the fried chicken is always a winner! Healthy southern food in an upscale setting. Great for meeting with clients since lower noise level doesn't interfere with conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversarymeekluv2eatDined on 8/17/2014MY HUSBAND AND I CAME HERE TO CELEBRATE OUT 24TH ANNIVERSARY...WE HAD RESERVATIONS FOR 9 BUT ARRIVED AN HOUR EARLY AND WE WERE SEATED RIGHT AWAY..IT WAS OVER CROWDED AND OUR SERVER TENDED TO US IMMEDIATELY, DON'T REMEMBER HIS NAME BUT HE WAS EXCELLENT...I HAD FRIED GREEN TOMATOES FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THEY WERE SOOOOOOO GOOD...OMG..THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS AND THE DRINKS PACKED A PUNCH...NOT WATERED DOWN AT ALL..THE AMBIENCE AND DECOR IS VERY SEXY..PERFECT FOR ROMANTIC DINNERS...I WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK NEXT TIME I'M IN DC......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekMolliVIPDined on 8/17/2014Went there for restaurant week. The special menu only had three selection from which to choose from, none of which was worthy of Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Long waitHotStuffDined on 8/17/2014The food and atmosphere is always great here. However, I was a little disappointed with the portions of the take home food. I was there in December 2013 and I remember them being a little larger. Also, if you could figure out a way for people that have reservations to get to their table quicker, that would be wonderful.Special Features:
- Good food & music, decent overall!LLovelyzDined on 8/17/2014This was a tasty brunch and came with wonderful music. The food was nice, but the buffet bar was overstocked and some of the food had been out too long like the biscuits which had gone a bit dry and the turkey and roast beef which were no longer very tender or juicy. Overall, however, the wide selection of food was exceptional and the take-home dish was terrific even two days later. If not for the price, I would recommend to even more people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceFeetsDined on 8/17/2014The Sunday Brunch was a nice pleasant experience. Service could've been but better, but it was fine never-the-less. The food was delicious, and we will return for repeated dining or brunching. LOL We will recommend Georgia Brown's Sunday Brunch to others.Special Features:
- MEHLove4foodDined on 8/16/2014Not so good. Food came out and parts of it was hot and parts of it were cold. Took too long for waiter to return to table so not worth the complaint. Super packed but seemed like food was pre-made and heated up. Not a good experience for someone new to the area and wanted the best "soul" food. Not sure if it is worth returning to.
- DisappointedEjadeDined on 8/16/2014I was excited to go to Georgia Browns, but sadly was disappointed in my meal and service. It felt like our waiter was annoyed to be serving us the entire time. The food is ok, but definitely not true southern food. More like southern for Yankees.Special Features:
- A consistent favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Has been one of my favorite restaurants and shall happily remain in that position!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Subpar experienceJayOnTheHillDined on 8/15/2014The evening was a failure from both the service and the food side. On the service side: Staff were audibly complaining about having to work that night. Our server never returned to our table after taking our order. We never received all our food. A glass was dropped directly beside our table and was not cleaned nor were we invited to move. On the food side there isn't much to say except the food was marginal at best. I can forgive poor service for exceptional food but that wasn't the case. The biscuits were inedible, the salad was wilted, and the entree was extremely acidic. The quality was TGIF caliber on a night they're training new line chefs. On the plus side, the weather was beautiful and the bartender that served us was pleasant.
- Noisy JointAndyDined on 8/15/2014You can't even hear yourself think in this noisy joint, but the food is good and the service is too.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable Lunch!jacquie812VIPDined on 8/15/2014A group from work went to Georgia Brown's for lunch and we all thoroughly enjoyed the experience! I was very pleased with the gluten free menu - they have a lot of choices for those of us with celiac disease or gluten intolerance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnersandyDined on 8/14/2014The smoked lamb shank was heavenly and the combination of flavors with the sautéed onions and sweet potatoes truly was splendid. I would return to feast here on any next visit to the DC area.Special Features:
- Food, Food, and More FoodlapjrDined on 8/13/2014Hit this place for Restaurant Week and it didn't disappoint. Food was great. Service was great. Portions were insane.Special Features:
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food not bad but nothing special. Very very noisy place, imposible to matain a conversation, very anoying.
- Reputation deservedAnonymousDined on 8/12/2014We finally were able to secure a reservation and Georgia Brown's lived up to its reputation and our expectations. The food was of course fabulous. Our appetizers included yellow tomato gazpacho, fried green tomato, and beet deviled eggs (the best). Entrees were fried chicken, blackened salmon, deconstructed jambalaya, and GB's signature gumbo (better than anything I've had in New Orleans). Desserts were peach cobbler, chocolate bourbon pecan tart, and lemon chess pie. We had to roll ourselves out at the end, we were so stuffed. The portions are quite generous, even for Restaurant Week. As good as the food was, the service was outstanding. Our server was made us feel like part of his family and he really knew the menu well.Special Features:
- georgia brownOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014Although the food and service were great, the noise level was such it would not make for a romantic evening unless you didn't want to talk with your date. Luckily I was able to turn down my hearing aids.Special Features:
- Good food and servicetlb1Dined on 8/11/2014The food was good, and the service was great. Cocktails are VERY good, especially the Georgia Peach Martini. I had the Devil Shrimp which was tasty with nice sides, and the bread pudding was fantastic.Special Features:
- Loved the BrunchrobwestDined on 8/10/2014The buffet was outstanding. My party really appreciated that we had the option to take home the "Act II" entree. I will definitely be back for dinner as soon as I'm in the area again.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful brunchEducatedBeautyDined on 8/10/2014Love the Sunday brunch. The food and live jazz was great. I love their omlet bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAnniversaryBrunchDined on 8/10/2014There is no reason to list how perfect this place was. I was simply excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great southern comfort food!NYCSavvyGDined on 8/9/2014Amazing jerk and fried catfish. Also, the corn bread was the best I've had, it wasn't too sweet or oily. The wait staff were accomodating and attentive. In addition, its a great location and the ambiance is really nice. Love the art structure on the ceiling.Special Features:
- It was ok.travellingdinerDined on 8/8/2014While the biscuits and cornbread were true southern delicacies I didn't feel the Devilish Shrimp were all that great. Not enough different textures on the plate to satisfy a curious palette. The people I was dining with enjoyed their fried meatloaf but we're not impressed with the Red Velvet cake. Our waitress was fantastic though. An older woman who was a true spit fire.Special Features:
- Great Fried Chicken!DeeDeeDined on 8/7/2014We ordered the crab cake appetizer, which was a little mushy. The friend chicken, gravy, smashed red potatoes and collards totally made up for it. The fried chicken was tasty, crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside.Special Features:
- Just OKMVanderbiltDined on 8/5/2014Loved the decor of the restaurant. Service was good. I found the food be average at best. Ordered a Ceasar salad that was ok, nothing to gush about, and the seafood pasta dish. I will say the salmon in the dish was good. Too much sausage and only one shrimp. The pasta sauce was just ok. Not as flavorful as I would have thought for a southern style restaurant. For me it's a no return.
- never disappointsdatagirl6Dined on 8/4/2014We enjoy Georgia Brown's for lunch, dinner, and even Christmas Dinner. We've never had a bad experience. The food is always piping hot and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DiversionActEsqDined on 8/3/2014Good to see that one of the historical African American restaurants of the day is still thriving. The live entertainment was a nice treat and the "take home entrée" along with the buffet brunch was a nice bonus making it worth the $40 price tag.Special Features: