950 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gbrowns.com/
- Phone: (202) 393-4499
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 4:30pm (last seating at 3:30pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jim Foss
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer limited off-site catering. Please call the restaurant and speak with our special events coordinator for more details at 202.393.4499. If you prefer, please feel free to email your inquiry to email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Looking for that perfect place to host your special event...well here we are. We can accommodate large groups in the main dining room with a menu designed especially for your birthday, anniversary, rehearsal dinner, corporate event or casual gathering. Whatever the occasion, we will help you create a memorable and personal event amid our beautiful setting.
- Private Party Contact: Ayanna Brown 2023934499
- Entertainment: We offer Live Jazz every Wednesday from 6:30pm until 10:30pm and Sunday's for our Jazz Brunch from 10:00am until 3:00pm. (The last seating for brunch is at 2:00pm)
- Cross Street: Between K and I Streets
- Public Transit: We are conveniently located near the McPherson Square metro station on the orange and blue lines. Exit the metro at Vermont Avenue and walk one-half block North on 15th Street. Traveling on the red line stop at Farragut North. Walk two blocks east on K Street. Turn right at the corner of 15th and K. We are mid-way through the block on the right.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer Valet Parking Service nightly beginning at 5:00pm and Sunday"s for our Jazz Brunch beginning at 10:00am. There is a fee of $8 per car. In addition, there are several near by parking garages and limited on-street parking. Please make sure to read the signs and meters in reference to time restrictions and fees.
A word from Georgia Brown's
Come and experience our lively interpretation of South Carolina Low-Country cuisine. Enjoy good southern food, servers who bubble over with hospitality, and a dining room that is truly distinctive. With its honey-colored walls, golden woods and bronze sculptures that crawl across the ceiling, designer Adam Tihany has created an atmosphere to awaken your senses. What better place to enjoy low country cuisine than in this contemporary environment celebrating the south. Offering the flavor of the South - the Soul of Washington; where we will be sure to leave a light burning in the window for you, our guests.Continued
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gbrowns
Visit our Facebook page: www.georgiabrowns.com/facebook
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gbrowns
Visit our Facebook page: www.georgiabrowns.com/facebook
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Georgia Brown's reviews from OpenTable diners
426 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (168)special occasion (168)fit for foodies (164)great for brunch (121)romantic (88)neighborhood gem (85)hot spot (78)great for lunch (75)vibrant bar scene (35)great for outdoor dining (31)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (22)notable wine list (19)scenic view (3)Show More
- OveratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2014The service was very good but the food was nothing special. I had the shrimp and grits and was very disappointed. it was a soupy mess that was unappealing and bland. the shrimp floated around in a soupy mushy stew of grits. I have had much better shrimp & grits for half the price. my wife had the fried meat loaf that had a great presentation but was so over seasoned with pepper that it ruined the meal.Special Features:
- southern foodgourmetmanDined on 11/23/2014our server was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. the portions were very generous. we enjoyed our dessert to go. I think the prices are fair and the food is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Such an amazing place. Great food. Great environment/setting. Great service. Absolutely can't beat it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014The food is very fresh...excellent choices. The place is beautiful. The service is great too. I found a new dining spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and food not as good as it usually is.DeejayfbDined on 11/22/2014Service was slow and not as attentive as usual. Food was lukewarm and had to wait a good time to place an order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ambiance and food was fantastic!FoodiejoyDined on 11/21/2014The staff was friendly and provided wonderful timely service. The waiter was patient with my friend who had not been before and answered all questions kindly. We had the appetizer sampler and it was deliciously. The bacon wrapped dates were a plesant surprise. Unexpected flavors bursting together in a lovely way. The main courses were just as tasty. A foodies joy. The pork chop was cooked perfectly at medium-well. Very tender and delicious. The sweet potatoes had a sweet sauce with them that added ann extra ummph to the mac n cheese as well. The deconstructed gumbo was on point as well. Just enough of all the flavors and gumbo sauce in the rice to give you the gumbo feeling. For dessert the sweet potatoe cheesecake was just ok. Not as good as it has been in the past. It was missing the sweet. Finished off with a cup of joe which was bold and smooth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, a little expensiveEatingOutALotInDCVIPDined on 11/18/2014The food was great, the service was amazing, and the wine was reasonable. My only complaint is that open table rates the restaurant with "$$," and the prices are worthy of "$$$." Most of the entrees started at around $28.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dnightDined on 11/18/2014I went to Georgia Brown's for my anniversary. The food was good but I was shocked to see it was crowded on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for BrunchIS28Dined on 11/16/2014Went to Georgia Brown's for a girlfriend brunch. The live jazz was pretty amazing, service was great, and the buffet was good. You get to take an entree home for the brunch deal. You have the option to eat the entree there but the buffet can definitely fill you up. The price of the brunch was $42 and bottomless bloody mary's or mimosa's was an additional $25. With tip I spent $86 for the brunch but as long as you drink at least 4 drinks, I would say it was worth it. Definitely a fun place and saw a handful a people with their children enjoying the jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChingDined on 11/15/2014It was a wonderful experience for my 27th birthday. All of my party enjoyed their entrees and drinks. The ambiance was perfect and the service was sbsolutely stunning....Note: For some reason the letter before t isnt working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Things have changedBrieWmsDined on 11/15/2014Our servers/waiters were unfriendly. They never smiled, wouldn't acknowledge you if you tried to get their attention and ignored several requests. One of our guest asked for water a few times to no avail. The trout was not very tasty and the waiter was insulted that I only had one small bite. I asked for a dessert menu, she returned and dropped it on the table and never returned to inquire if I would be getting dessert. They seem to be disappointed at the idea of having to serve our party. I was very disappointed in the experience, especially since other tables seemed to be enjoying their experience and our party was suffering with bad waiters.
- Wasn't all thatjmethechefVIPDined on 11/15/2014We were seated late; the food was ok, macaroni and cheese was awful, tasted very sour. Everything needed salt. They were just way too busy to pay much attention to anyone, and it was very loud, tables super close together. Not at all a relaxing dining experience.
- Georgia Brown's dinner experienceblondieDined on 11/15/2014We dined 11/15, party of 10 at 6:45 pm - seated promptly. Drinks, appetizers. Everyone liked their dinner as well. One of us ordered a steak medium rare and it came well done. He sent it back and by the time it was reserved, the rest of us were done eating. We had asked for separate checks for each couple and the waiter said that was fine. However, it took him 20 minutes to prepare the checks and each one was incorrect, mainly overbilling. More time to fix that. The server was extremely busy. No one ever refilled water or iced tea. It was too bad to end our wonderful night on this note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoward2013VIPDined on 11/13/2014First time diner. Everything was great. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014This restaurant is an excellent choice the food and service have always been consistent. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service and foodCjonesVIPDined on 11/11/2014The waiter and all of staff we're very knowledgeable of the area and the food. The fried chicken and the greens were great! By the way, the drinks were delicious. I was greeted by the hostess and she gave me an option of available tables. I didn't realize that she was the GM of the restaurant. Her name is Ayana. She was very personable! Thanks for making sure that me and my guests enjoyed ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Taking a meal home sold many of my friends to come for the brunch, however they were all disappointed regarding the small portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz BrunchSoulfoodieDined on 11/9/2014We attended the jazz brunch the music was awesome! The chefs prepare omelets and waffles and slice beef turkey and ham. The buffet had the typical foods also Jambalaya. They were a little light on the desserts but the place isn't real big. They gave us a choice of 8 items on their menu that we could order to go, this was included in the brunch price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SitaDined on 11/9/2014We really enjoyed the jazz brunch, always a winner for special occasions. The food and service were very good, better than our last visit last year. Being able to take dinner home is a plus but the portions were smaller than in the past. Still, it seems like a good value for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatjohnDined on 11/8/2014My family loves to eat out when we are on vacation. I found Georgia Brown's and since we all love southern food, thought it would be perfect. We had two younger children (8 &12) with us , who know how to behave in a restaurant but didn't feel like they were welcomed. Even though we tried to slow down the pace of the meal, we were done in just over an hour. The food comes out very fast so take your time ordering between courses. The food was good but not great, we tried the fried chicken and the shrimp and grits but have had better down South. Overall, i give it a B- due to the pace of the meal and the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencePamODined on 11/8/2014A unique restaurant as suitable for a romantic date as for our family of 3 with a 13 year old. Catfish, fried chicken and home made Jack Daniels chocolate ice cream were our favorites and the sides were all outstanding. I'm usually a wine drinker, but the cocktail list had enough interesting choices that I chose one and was not disappointed. Our waiter was a hit with our daughter but appeared to be equally attuned to the very different needs and personalities of the groups seated around us. Only concern was that the tables were packed tightly together, putting us in close proximity to the diners behind us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJeniferDined on 11/7/2014The service and food were amazing. They were great accommodating my kids. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- More than a RestaurantDCResidentDined on 11/6/2014Georgia Brown's continues to amaze me. Yes, it's a phenomenal restaurant and the quality of the food -- and the creativity of the combinations -- absolutely live up to the fine reputation it has established in the DC area for fine dining a la the South. But it's more than the menu that has earned it acclaim -- Georgia Brown's is an experience. Our waiter Bob is as much of a staple to this experience as the fried chicken. It was my second time at the restaurant and I was delighted to have an encore performance of his service, complete with his uniquely hilarious and informative commentary. The hostesses were as welcoming in the spirit of southern hospitality as could be, while the ambiance balanced the geographic feel with a DC couture look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2014A disappointment. The waiter forgot out appetizers. The skirt steak that I order was not done properly (I asked for medium rare and received a well-done) . To their credit the restaurant comped the diner which I did not ask them to do. I would have sent it back but I decided that given the waiter it was likely that I would receive the same thing back to me. Generally, I had hoped that the food here would be comparable to Table 52 in Chicago. What a mistake, not even close. I hope that they can iron these issues out.
- Never a bad meal!TJones310Dined on 11/6/2014Georgia Brown's is one of my favorite stops whenever I visit DC. The food never fails!!!Special Features:
- Great birthday celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2014We celebrated our mom's birthday at Georgia Brown's. Cocktail list is excellent -- I could have ordered one of each! (Well, maybe not ;-) They even have ginger beer for Dark & Stormies. Everyone enjoyed their meals. The roasted beet salad was a big hit at our table. Save room for dessert! We ordered several and passed them around the table. Service was excellent, not too warm and friendly but he's there to be our server, not to be our best friend. The staff was unobtrusive and allowed us to socialize without constant interruptions. Overall it was a great place to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for brunchIsadora10Dined on 11/2/2014Had been to Georgia Brown's before and wanted to try their famous Sunday brunch. There was an excellent jazz trio, but we were sat so close to the musicians it was impossible to hold a conversation until they went on break. Will make a note of that for future visits. The food was good, as expected, with a good vibe throughout the restaurant. Service was a little slow which was surprising since the restaurant was not packed and it was a buffet. Took almost 10 minutes to get a cocktail, but once received, service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgia Brown'sStealtButterflyDined on 11/2/2014The food was good, very attentive and friendly wait staff, seating is tight but not as bad as some other venues I've been to in DC. The highlight for me was the soul jazz band called Swinging In Tongues. Excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceMMM3TCDined on 11/2/2014Our waiter, Meryl, was great! He explained all about the amazing brunch and drink possibilities and made it fun. Even though it was a buffet, he checked in often, kept our water and coffee topped off and made the whole experience more fun. The food was presented beautifully and tasted really good... and then you get an entire meal to take home with you. This is certainly not a typical buffet. Well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Ambienceglassiter1120Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by having dinner here and the food was delicious, our server was wonderfully attentive considering she had other tables. The music was fantastic, because they were playing a mixture of 80's & 90's jams. We will certainly be back to dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not up to parUnservicedDined on 11/1/2014My visit was on a Saturday at 6p. It took 15 minutes of sitting before I went over and requested a waiter. After looking around at a few other tables we saw they had been given bread. We didn't see our waiter after the appetitizer while we waited for our food, so we grabbed another waiter and asked him if bread at each table is customary. He said yes and got us a baker with fresh, warm bread in it. He also refilled our drinks. My partner didn't like her food at all, the deconstructed jambalaya. I did like mine, the cowboy steak. Our appetizer, the green tomatoes we fine. We did not order dessert. We'll likely return, as I don't think our visit was the common experience of their guests, and because my food was just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTrevaandTrinaDined on 11/1/2014I made reservations to dine at this restaurant and was expecting real fine dining. My wife and I were very dissatisfied with the whole experience. We dressed up and all only to be dining with folks who dressed in shorts and hoodies.The place needs to be updated with new furniture, décor and more. The food wasn't great and at the very least needed some seasoning. The meals are over priced along with the drinks. The waiter was good and try really hard to make a good impression.
- DC's Southern GemLLRobertsDined on 10/31/2014It is rare to open a menu and not see a single dish that I wouldn't want. Absolutely lovely food, great service, and fun jazzy feel. The fried green tomatoes are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put some South in your mouthJimmyODined on 10/30/2014From the minute we entered the door, the staff was nothing short of spectacular. My wife and I were looking for some Southern Comfort Food and found an elegant white table cloth restaurant that went above and beyond our expectations. The waiter seemed more like a host instead of an employee. He made some beverage recommendations(the peach Martini is my wife's new fav) and I followed along with his wine recommendations. Excellent choices. I must say, if you never have had deviled eggs with a kick to them or fried green tomatoes done correctly, now is your chance. Dinner was 'off the chain' . The shrimp stuffed with crab is more than you can eat, particularly if you have snacked on the corn Bread rolls with peach marmalade butter, YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryDined on 10/26/2014First time at the restaurant although I have heard about it for years. Great food and service. Will definitely return for dinner on my next trip to Washington, DC. I would take clients, friends and family to the restaurant.Special Features:
- It wasn't the BestDanni86Dined on 10/26/2014I've been to Georgia Brown's numerous times and the quality of the food has began to decline. Most of the items on the brunch bar were not served warm and the food was presented fresh.
- Save your moneyTravelMasterDined on 10/26/2014It was good music and good service. The food however was not worth what we paid. I am sure you can find something comparable for less outlay out cash.
- This Yankee ApprovesfinntastikDined on 10/25/2014I'm a CT Yankee who knows next to nothing about Low Country cuisine; other than Georgia Brown's rendition of it is absolutely delicious. Very elegant dining experience with excellent service and an apparent passion for their menu that is obvious in every dish that comes to the table. My friends have recommended Georgia Brown's to me multiple times, and I'm very happy I finally got to try it out. I recommend it to you as well!Special Features:
- Nice ambiancecasualdaterDined on 10/25/2014Menu is moderate for DC standards and overpriced. Ambiance is stellar. Drinks were boldly flavorful. More of a romantic dinner then a foodie lover's dream.Special Features:
- perfect birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014With very little time to help my fraternity brother from Atlanta plan a birthday dinner for his wife. We went to George Brown's on the word of my cousin the food and atmosphere were good. Georgia Brown was the perfect place and the food didn't disappoint anyone. Great service, Great Dinner menu, and the desserts were the best. Thanks Georgia Brown's for making her day a great way to end the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.