415 Sansome Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.georgessf.com/
- Phone: (415) 956-6900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Lunch: 11A - 3P
Happy Hour: 3P - 6:30P
Dinner: 5:30P - 10P
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Bilger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please visit our website for Georges CATERING service. We cater large parties, special events, business meetings or you can host your private party at Georges restaurant.
- Cross Street: Clay
- Public Transit: Bus stop across the street from restaurant: 10, 20, 41, 30x, 82x
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking garages on Clay, on Kearny and in Embarcadero Center 2 blocks away.
Convenient parking on street in front of restaurant after 6PM until 2AM.
A word from Georges
Georges in San Francisco's financial district is dedicated to offering sustainable seafood and locally-grown organic produce in a friendly atmosphere at fair prices. Georges will be open for lunch and dinner and is a great place to gather after work.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Georges reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (41)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (17)good for groups (16)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (8)romantic (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- FantastictpcjkkDined on 11/22/2014Georges is right around the corner from Le Meridien, where we were staying. It's a small place, tucked mid block on Sansome between Clay and Sacramento. The menu is varied and tight, and all the selections seem well thought out. We started with oysters, which were fresh and reasonably priced. I had the Chilean seabass, which was delicious and well-executed. I finished with the "drunken" Affogato, which was perfect. The experience was enhanced by the wait staff, including a visit with the bar manager, who explained his process for making the homemade tonic which was part of the gin & tonic. Overall it was a great experience, and I have no doubt we will be back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in the financial districtEricVIPDined on 11/19/2014I found Georges on Opentable and thought it looked interesting. I don't go downtown all that much and thought it would be an adventure. We arrived for our reservation right at the end of happy hour. The place was jumping. Very nice ambiance, although a bit loud. Our waiter was friendly and attentive; although not overly so. Each menu item we had was both beautiful and tasty. I would most definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Gave it a TryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014I've been walking past this place for years and only tried it yesterday at the suggestion of a friend. The food was delicious and creative. The presentation was also good. The service was fantastic and they were very accommodating to my change from a party of 4 to a party of 6 with very short notice. I will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KJRoDined on 11/17/2014I'm never disappointed when I bring somebody new; the food is reliably delicious. The specials are always a winner.Special Features:
- First-class fish and shellfish in a hip modern barsramjiVIPDined on 11/15/2014Service is excellent at Georges and the food is sublime. I had the oyster shot (so good that one is not enough), tuna crudo, and day boat scallops as well as their handcrafted cocktail "Brother Bill". I'd go again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenighterDined on 11/15/2014Everyone loved the food. Pricey for the atmosphere. Loud and difficult to hear anyone other than the person right next to you. Small menu but everything superbly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneEmmJaneEmmDined on 11/15/2014I have been going to Georges for a few years now and it never fails to please. Whenever I bring friends, they invariably love the place. After years of ordering the tuna on a chickpea cake, which is delicious, I ordered the tuna "meatballs" on mint pasta. Fabulous! Also, my favorite red wine is available by the glass--Truchard Tempranillo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good (but not great)drpainstopperVIPDined on 11/14/2014Good food, good drinks but nothing spectacular. Overall quite an enjoyable meal, though likely to be forgotten a few weeks. Very loud. Pork belly appetizer was excellent. Still nothing stood out as exceptional about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchcatsDined on 11/14/2014This was a wonderful place to take my clients with sufficient choices on the menu to make everyone happy, where the staff honored my request to put us in a quiet corner, and where the food was presented beautifully and tasted great. I'll definitely be bringing more clients there for lunch.Special Features:
- markVIPDined on 11/14/2014Excellent sustainable seafood, fast lunch service, good vibe. I'll definitely be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good locationMsLoyelVIPDined on 11/7/2014I treated myself to dinner here on a business trip this week. I tried the ceviche and the pork belly appetizers as my main dishes. Both were outstanding. The pork belly was so tender and delicious. I had a great little meal at the bar and I'd definitely bring coworkers back here if we're ever in town again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHatenoisyVIPDined on 11/7/2014I am hooked on Chef Michael's krudo...tuna...could eat this appetizer for a meal. Fish and chips perfect and the Zeppeli's kill me. I end up finishing the chocolate sea salt sauce with my spoon... can't wait to come backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014The sevice and food was very good. Definately recommend it for a casual dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2014I usually see food as a necessity but the food here was amazing. Every dish I had was delightful. Great lucky findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseTerryDined on 11/1/2014Located in center of financial district I expected stuffy,up tight, predictable atmosphere. Amazingly laid back friendly, casual, personal service. After an amazing dinner seasoned to perfection, the chef came over to visit then reappeared with a small tear for desert( unexpected) that was to die for---we are eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceAvShDined on 10/28/2014We had a great time here, the food was great, and so was the service and ambiance. It got very loud towards the end.
- Love this placeJohnGDined on 10/27/2014great food, drinks, and service. Good for lunch, dinner, or drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- such a pleasant surprise!SanFranEaterVIPDined on 10/24/2014had no idea about this restaurant and it was a gamble. What a winner! service from hosting to serving to bussing was spectacular. Humans taking care of humans! Food was amazing and the setting was perfect for a relaxing sociable lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food combinationslookingforperfectionVIPDined on 10/23/2014We dined as a big group and had a wonderful experience. Except oysters that were way too salty, the rest of the meal was excellent. I especially liked the creative pairing of scallops with pomegranate seeds. Although the menu is somewhat limited, you can find something that would satisfy your palate.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseBarryDined on 10/11/2014We had an absolutely fabulous post theater dinner at George! The place is lively but we were able to talk at our table without screaming--so rare these days. Every dish we ordered was beautifully presented and exceptionally delicious. The service was outstanding. It couldn't have been better and I'll be returning often!Special Features:
- AdelaidiansDined on 10/9/2014Very busy spot. Food was good but a little crowded and noisy when we visited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eats, a bit salty.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014We loved the happy hour specials! The waitress was kind to let us slip in at 5:59:59.
- Coasting on its reputation?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2014What can I say other than that our party of 6 was seated for our 7 p.m. reservation at 7:50; that the maitre'd/waiter offered no real apology for the delay but did say that he was "spoiling" us by comping us an extra order of crab cakes (which were delicious, as was the calamari); that same waiter promised one of our party the last sea bass and called out this order to the chef, only to tell us later that it was "gone"; that our main course of scallops was not particularly flavorful. Conclusion: I would neither recommend Georges to a friend nor return here, there are far too many other restaurants in SF which have across-the-board delicious food and treat their patrons with more respect.
- Wonderful seafood in a loud roomDLLovesToEatDined on 9/30/2014I went with five coworkers for a business meeting. The appetizers were pretty good (artichokes, ceviche). The main courses were really good (sea bass, tuna, and scallops. And the desserts were really good (apple pie sundae, chocolate). I would definitely return. Be warned though that the place is pretty loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the gnocchi!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014Great food and great service. High quality seafood and oysters were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the Rough!RagsVIPDined on 9/27/2014I hesitate to rave too much about George's because I fear it will become another SF restaurant that you have to trip over yourself to get a reservation. But...seriously excellent food - fresh, great flavor combinations, excellent selections. I am a professionally trained chef and highly recommend this restaurant! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Very good little placeGoodfoodDined on 9/22/2014It was very nice little place for a dinner for two. Great food, excellent service and romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!yummmDined on 9/19/2014Cioppino, crabcakes, and martini are among the best of these dishes that we have ever tasted anywhere! Caesar salad and Zeppole were very good. Stracciatella gelato was good but not up to the standards of the rest of the meal. On tap IPOs were great! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very Pleasurable Evening ExperiencePF2319Dined on 9/19/2014Had a reservation on a Friday night, and they were able to accommodate our late arrival. Service was prompt, and we were able to finish well in time for a show we were going to, and the staff worked with our schedule. I had the ahi tuna dish, which I thought was very flavorful, and my wife had the salmon dish, which she thought was fabulous. We shared a ceviche appetizer, which was unique and also good. Recommend to sit near the back of the restaurant if you prefer it to be a little quieter. Prices were reasonable and they had a decent wine selection. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchKNW9VIPDined on 9/18/2014Three gal friends try to get together for lunch at least every two months. This is out go-to place. They have a seasonal salad that is out of this world. This time of year it is the Wild Salmon Salad. Absolutely delicious - every single bite. One of my friends had the heirloom tomato salad and loved it. This is just about the end of the heirloom season, however. Perfect place to gather for a great lunch, especially when you don't have much more than an hour for lunch. The noise level was higher than we remembered the last few times. We will always go back here.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantJeanPhilippeDined on 9/15/2014Good cooking, but not chef quality. Though the price would suggest
- Hidden gemTree68Dined on 9/13/2014Couldn't have gotten a meal any better. Salmon I had was perfectly cooked and excellently seasoned. My wife's trout was perfect as well. She said her mashed potatoes were the best she ever had. Great compliment from an Irish woman. When in town do not miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- open tablestephenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Open Table is a great way to find good restaurants when you are visiting a city for the first time, and Georges was no exception as the evening was a nice way to start our first meal in San FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Fantastic ServiceSunnyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful meal. The cioppino was amazing and my husband loved the oyster selection.Special Features:
- Fav in SFJeffVIPDined on 9/9/2014I have been to George's three times in the past two years. Great vibe, solid service, and excellent food. The food is innovative, the wait staff knowledgeable, and management is present at the restaurant. Solid bar as well! Not a very big place, so you are better off with four or less in your party.Special Features:
- Amazing service and food!princesspigDined on 9/6/2014Georges was an amazing find! My girlfriends and I had a night out in the city and I found Georges through the internet on top 10 spots for seafood. I am so happy I decided to book because the food was amazing and the service was too! Thank you to the owner for taking care good care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a great lunchHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/2/2014And I'd love to give it a try for dinner. Awesome Ono ceviche!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had the trout and tuna, both were delicious. Our waitress was friendly and made excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth Watering ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I'm still thinking about how amazing the food was. It was the first time I agreed to try pate with my Wife. She loves it and I never liked it as a kid. To settle an age old, 'try it again argument,' I did. It was incredible! We had to have dessert to top it off. It was fun to get warm, fresh donuts (and chocolate sauce) after a gourmet meal. 5 Stars!Special Features:
- Food good; very loudSparjoeVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food, in our case the trout, was tasty and cooked appropriately, but nothing exceptional. One party had the scallops and thought they were excellent. Noise level was so loud as to be distracting from the meal, and we sat in a back corner. Probably the relatively stark walls had something to do with that. Service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.