George's Ocean Terrace
1250 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
George's Ocean Terrace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
- Phone: 8584544244
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am-4:00pm, Dinner Nightly: 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trey Foshee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kristine Sauer 8584544244
A word from George's Ocean Terrace
Occupying the upper level of iconic George’s at the Cove in the heart of La Jolla overlooking the Pacific coastline, George's Ocean Terrace features a casual bistro menu developed by Executive Chef/Partner Trey Foshee and his team. Consistently named the region's best outdoor dining by the likes of San Diego Magazine, San Diego Home & Garden and Ranch & Coast, and Zagat's most popular restaurant, the Ocean Terrace experience is quintessential Southern California. George's Ocean Terrace serves lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
George's Ocean Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (213)scenic view (210)special occasion (119)great for lunch (105)romantic (100)fit for foodies (90)hot spot (75)great for brunch (61)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (51)good for groups (30)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (23)late-night find (11)Show More
- JjccVIPDined on 9/12/2014The view was amazing. Food was very subtle, could have used a little more seasoning.Special Features:
- Great scenic outdoor dining spot...Jack1Dined on 8/16/2014Georg's Ocean Terrace is a great outdoor dining spot with a beautiful ocean and seascape view. The food was great and service excellent. I found it to be a bit noisy and crowded. The other down side to not only George's location but to other outdoor dining spots in that area is that there is a hint of ambient stinky/fishy smell in the air there. We ate at to different restaurants in the vicinity and found the same detachable odor in both places. So, I don't think either place is responsible for it or exempt from it. But it wasn't overpowering so as to make the dining experience distasteful. We found we got used to it rather quickly. When you're in La Jolla, it's definitely one of the finer dining spots, with a gorgeous view.Special Features:
- Fri lunch on the PacificBayAreaFdFanDined on 8/15/2014The hosts Allie n Sara were amazing. So helpful and patient to Every guest. Taylor is a Grt waiter. Ceviche was gd, burger n fish tacos Grt. Very busy but amazing view, fd, serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen powerWJT40547Dined on 8/13/2014It`s always great to see in what short time service is always made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ViewIrisDined on 8/13/2014Always a fantastic view! Good food variety and spot on service. Can be chilly, so bring a jacket, but they do offer blankets, or you can eat inside with the same view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony- server-excellentPeterCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Rhonda and I had lunch here on 8-13-2014 and once again had great food and service. Our server Anthony was excellent being professional including efficient service. Had their unique stuffed dates as an appetizer again, very nice with a pleasant tomato sauce. They offered as a special yellowtail with a mayo type sauce; very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View was amazingSuperMomDined on 8/12/2014I've been trying to get reservations to this restaurant for a while. My husband and I went snorkeling that day and had lunch on the terrace. Not only was snorkeling amazing but the view from this restaurant topped it off. We were able to see exactly where we snorkled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All ingredients for great eveningfoodiefrombrooklynDined on 8/7/2014I had a marvelous time dining solo at George's Ocean Terrace. I was treated warmly and hospitably. The young woman hosting was composed and effective contending with a ringing phone and a lengthening line of eager diners. My server was gracious, and recommended something not quite on the menu when I mentioned my dilemma between 2 dishes that essentially combined the 2 and was the perfect solution. The terrace is a bit crowded and therefore a bit noisy, but not uncomfortably so (I'm sensitive to both noise and crowds). The breeze from the ocean was delightful, as was the view. I HIGHLY recommend the excellent kale salad. This restaurant very much deserves its good reputation.Special Features:
- A special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014Unparalleled view, especially at sunset. I took my mother there for her 80th birthday and the staff made sure she felt special. We had a great table on the bannister and everyone, including the manager, made a special effort to wish her happy birthday and to congratulate her.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantRetiredGuyDined on 8/7/2014Beautiful view, excellent food, great service could not ask for anything moreSpecial Features:
- The view is wonderfulFoodloverDined on 8/7/2014Fish tacos, fish sandwich and salad. The yellow fun presentation was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning views, Great foodScienceSpiceDined on 8/5/2014I brought my coworkers here while on a work trip. We were given the best seat in the house overlooking the Pacific ocean. Everyone agreed that this was the perfect choice for dinner while in La Jolla. Dinner was great for foodies. I had the ceviche starter and Tombo for the entree. Both were delicious and prepared to perfection. The 10oz hanger steak was another preferred selection at the table. The wait staff and hosts are fantastic. This was my 3rd time there and I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Dinner SpotMGDRDined on 8/4/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the fish tacos, ceviche and octopus but the main star was a blueberry and popcorn topped creme brulee! We will back next time we visit La Jolla!Special Features:
- A must in La JollaKamaDined on 8/4/2014On vacation traveling from Sam Diego to Laguna reserved a lunch reservation overlooking the beautiful ocean. Food was terrific and service wonderful. Was less pricier than dinner but not short on anything we had a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timeCarloscortexDined on 8/3/2014I went at night, which was nice however you miss out on the view. i would go here for lunch or an early dinner to get the full experience. the food is still good either way though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Views of La Jolla CovejototiDined on 8/2/2014Although we had to wait about an hour to get in due to rain, the views from the rooftop terrace were amazing. The food was excellent, but the kids meals were very pricey for very little food. The staff did a wonderful job of trying to keep everyone dry while it rained. Would recommend for adults!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedyossieVIPDined on 8/1/2014We visit George's annually when we vacation in the San Diego area. We look forward to the visitSpecial Features:
- a must if in la JollagdentyDined on 7/30/2014The view is amazing. And the food matches the view. Parking is crazy so just go for the valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicesocalvetDined on 7/30/2014The service is what makes takes this place to a higher level than most outdoor dining spots. Great food and view, too.Special Features:
- diningquestdiningquestDined on 7/30/2014Food was okay, view was great, but service was lacking. Despite having lunch reservations, they would not seat our party on arrival until all 4 were at the hostess stand, even though 3 of the 4 were present, and they explained I was just parking the car. My 2 aunts are older and one recently had Knee surgery, but they made them stand there and wait, refusing to seat them, and threatened to give away the table if I did not arrive in 5 minutes (which I did). Then, we were given a tall table with tall chairs, where your feet don't touch the ground, which seemed obvious to me were not the best seats for my older relatives. Overall, I was disappointed and felt the price was too high for the quality of food and service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014My uncle was in La Jolla for conference and wanted to meet for lunch and I took him here. We both had the fish tacos. Our waitress was attentive and very friendly, the food good, and as usual the view is amazing. My uncle said it was the best meal he had in La Jolla all week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularccriderDined on 7/27/2014We walked out onto the outdoor terrace and could not believe the spectacular views. Our table was one row in from the edge and we felt like we were on top of the world. The service was great - as fast or as slow as we wanted. Apps, dinner, wine, desert - all wonderful. The best dinner we had in San Diego.Special Features:
- Go for the beautiful viewbeachloverDined on 7/27/2014The setting was gorgeous. We had a great view of the ocean and the sunset was amazing! The list of entrees was very limited. The pork tacos were dry and bland and the chicken was overcooked. The service was great. I would recommend just going to the bar for a drink and an appetizer because of the awesome view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickstipsDined on 7/27/2014The service matched the view a 10 both Charles and his "shadow" Joseph, both memorable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still thinking about it.DineladyDined on 7/27/2014Loved everything about this place. Views for days, yummy tasty food, great service. We couldn't ask for anything more!!Special Features:
- We love George's at the CoveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We love George's at the Cove, but we were washed out on Sunday 27Jul14. It rained like crazy and the Ocean Terrace was closed. Instead we walked down the street to the La Valencia Hotel. The breakfast was awesome---steak and scrambled eggs. Yum!Special Features:
- Chanti7Dined on 7/26/2014Beautiful view and a big highlight of our visit to La Jolla. Sticky toffee pudding cake was out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014the terrace view at sunset was spectacular. the food was great. the service was slow....mix up on putting our food order into the system. the view and food make up for the service clitch. price was reasonable for what we had. the front entrance is nothing special, which is misleading vs the terrace eating area and view. it was recommended by a friend. we went by it the last time in LaJolla and didnt think it would be good. we would definitely return to this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic San Diego views and foodnelsDined on 7/26/2014Well known spot in La Jolla with excellent food and views.Special Features:
- Stunning view and great food!AntdVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have dined here three years in a row when we visit San Diego with 4 nieces and 1 nephew. I always get the same thing; Halibut with cherry tomatoes and fresh corn. The broth is light and flavorful and the halibut great. Service is always perfect and so is the weather. For dessert, we order one of everything and take one bite and pass it one person to the left so the desserts make it around the table. The kids love it and everyone gets to try all of the desserts. It is quite a treat for all of us. The prices are reasonable for the location, quality and view. Might want to bring a sweater or scarf because it can get a little chilly after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Experience!DKSVDined on 7/26/2014We often select restaurants based on reviews and this outdoor terrace, food and service are all simply exceptional! The full bar had a wonderful selection of wine and beer plus drinks including great mojitos!! I selected the kale salad with seared yellowtail for a protein. My guests had sandwiches and the taco dish. We all raved about our food and the spectaclar view that added to an outstanding dining experience. We have lived in Del Mar for 30 years and we always bring our guests here for lunch. One suggestion...always make a reservation. Even at 3:00 the patio was buzzing with happy customers!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherNoGoodDined on 7/25/2014Made a reservation 3 days in advance for oceans terrace. Arrived 10 minutes early. Was told they were on time. Almost an hour later me and my party of 5 still weren't sat for lunch. Spoke to the hostess, she had forgotten us completely despite us standing right in front of her the entire time. Was apologetic then sat us at possibly the worst table on the terrace: no view, no breeze, surrounded by noisy yuppees. Ordered a $15 margarita to try and salvage the experience only to be given the most watered down garbage of a drink I've ever had.... The gnocci was literally the only decent part of the afternoon. I felt embarressed in front of my friends for hyping it so highly. Please find a better hosting staff/bartender... Waitress was pleasant.Special Features:
- fun but noisyvegasviceVIPDined on 7/24/2014we went for dinner and to take in a sunset. Fried calamari and bacon wrapped dates were just ordinary. Main dishes of mahi mahi and skirt stake were good. it was disappointing that at sunset people were allowed to go to the end of the deck and block the view of diners who were sitting at their table. Management should consider prohibiting people from blocking the view of the diners. Probably won't be back since valet parking is almost mandatory for $10 but there is no validation of the ticket if you dine there.Special Features:
- great views of ocean on a sunny dayRuben418Dined on 7/24/2014Food was ok...but when u find a hair in the food it makes the experience somewhat negative, especially because the customer service personnel did not really step up to make it better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Met a former colleague and her family for lunch. They were visiting from out of town. The waitress was exceptional and gave us great service as well as plenty of time to accommodate our group. The views were spectacular and overall it was a great experience. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- The Perfect Summer EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014We recently dined at Ocean Terrace on a Monday evening and it was delicious. This is a busy restaurant, and I was glad that I had made a reservation. The bar was extremely busy as well. We had a wonderful view of the ocean and the sunset. While the service was great, the star of the night was definitely the dinner. The Halibut special on Monday would be worth the drive from almost anywhere. Two others in our party had the Mahi, and it was great as well. We all would recommend this restaurant and wish that were one closer to home. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great Spot!DKC1Dined on 7/21/2014Great food and beautiful views at George's Ocean terrace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xeadVIPDined on 7/20/2014Slow service bordering on the inattentive almost ruined a good meal. Our waitress virtually dissapeared after we placed our orders.Special Features:
- A favoritealanfromncDined on 7/20/2014Been there many times and always enjoy the food service and views...Special Features:
- Summertime LunchFlickaDined on 7/20/2014Great place to bring out of town visitors. Beautiful view, good food and excellent service.Special Features: