313 North Geddes St.
Syracuse, NY 13204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gentilesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3154748258
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm (October - May)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kevin Gentile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Gentile's
Gentile's eclectic Italian Dining. Gentile's provides the freshest of ingredients, innovative dishes and a relaxing dinning experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gentile's reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (16)special occasion (15)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingSyracuseUparentsDined on 8/22/2014Could be the worst service we ever encountered at a restaurant this pricey. We waited 20 minutes until our waitress took our order for drinks and appetizers, then somehow she forgot to inform the kitchen, then claimed she didn't want to put it in until our drinks were served. Getting those drinks took about 30 minutes, sans one soda, and our white wine was served without a bucket. Our appetizer came out 20 minutes after that. When we finally were given the opportunity to place our dinner order, our waitress stopped taking the order midstream to serve another table, informing us she was beeped by the kitchen. Food was mediocre. In summary, we were beeped by Gentiles and will not return.
- Always great!SherunDined on 8/15/2014Every time I dine at Gentile's I am never disappointed. The menu changes with the seasons and I am always eager to see what deliciousness the new menu has in store. I even get excited to order a unique salad creation. The service is fantastic and the atmosphere is just right. My favorite restaurant in Syracuse hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Syracuse!MikeVDined on 7/23/2014I am a regular at Gentile's and can't say enough about the food, service and the atmosphere. The servers are professional and have extensive knowledge of both the food and wine menus. I would describe Gentile's as nothing less than a "foodie's Playground", offering impressive flavor pairing with flawless technique. I ordered the Lamb and my girlfriend ordered the bacon wrapped scallops. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the Demi Glace was heaven. The Scallops were cooked to a PERFECT medium rare offering a very nice textural contrast to the slightly crispy bacon, and the morel mushrooms in the sauce were a very nice touch. We are lucky to have such an amazing restaurant in Syracuse, one that would thrive in a big city. Enjoy!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant1year2getherDined on 7/19/2014The best date night I've ever had My girlfriend were celebrating our first year anniversary and we could not have been happier The food was incredible The service was wonderful Great food choices Great ambiance A great place for a romantic mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatRichNYCDined on 7/10/2014We phoned ahead to warn we were arriving late from NYC. Then phoned again to get directions. From the outside, the place is charming and inside very romantic. We were greeted warmly and our waiter was superb. The menu seemed creative but the result was a slight bit of fussiness overwhelmed by excess dressing on the salads. The lobster gnocchi had excellent flavor but there was enough gnocchi to feed two people and the sauce seemed bland. My wife's meal was just a bit too salty. In NYC the food would be slightly below average for the price.Special Features:
- MidgeDined on 6/26/2014Wonderful food and our waiter was great! I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- EcellentGreatDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent The service by Patrick was exceptional. I would highly recommend Gentile's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a place!MikaminimomDined on 6/14/2014This was the place my family chose for a 21st birthday and Father's Day dinner out. We have consistently enjoyed Gentiles because of having great flexibility in the menu and many gluten free choices, including the before dinner bread. Special touches, such as fruit infused water and different spreads for the dinner breads add a lot to make it a special place. Our waiter, Patrick, was superb - friendly, knowledgeable and responsive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarolsopinionDined on 6/11/2014Ronnie lee was playing jazz in the bar area so we got a table for two at the bar, which they reserved for us. I had fried calamari which was outstanding. My friend had the spinach salad. Also outstanding. The waitress was fantastic. Table was a bit small, but we juggled the bread, dipping oil, wine, water etc. the hostess/manager came by several times to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and to welcome us...a nice touch. The prices were expensive tho. Dinners started at $22. Appetizers started at $10. We will go again. Ronnie Lee was a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the Gentile's reviews archive.
- Great findGma12Dined on 5/17/2014Grandson was graduating from cortland and I did a lot of research for a good restaurant to celebrate. This was a super find. Food and service was great. Very interesting and different menuSpecial Features:
- PerfectAlbany53Dined on 5/8/2014Since I was meeting up with friends that I hadn't seen in a year, I asked for a quiet table and the staff happily accommodated the request. The service was great. We weren't rushed and the food was delicious and plentiful. I would highly recommend it. It is a bit pricey for Syracuse, but it is definitely worth it for a special occasion or a nice night out. The only thing that would make it better is outdoor seating, not on N. Geddes Street.Special Features:
- Perfect way to spend an eveningneighborDined on 4/4/2014We were seated quickly, and every member of the staff was polite and attentive. I appreciated how they all seemed happy we were there, which created a friendly, homey atmosphere. The food was creative and delicious, which is what I have come to expect at Gentile's. We had the meatballs for an appetizer, and the sauce was delicious. Our main dishes with bolognese and diavolo sauce were excellent. We made room for dessert, and the the "chocolate chocolate spirit fingers chocolate" (as our server described it) was incredible. Thanks Gentile's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative cooking and great service.bbj3369VIPDined on 4/4/2014We had not been to Gentile's in a while and had not been to their new location. The new space is much larger and is decorated stylishly. The kitchen is outstanding...not a beat was lost with their top-notch cuisine after the move. Classy Italian is still the motif -- I had white bean soup with greens (very satisfying on a cold day) and linguine Bolognese which had a rich beef, veal and pork sauce. My husband and I shared the bread plate presented with a white bean and leek puree. He began with the spicy greens and had the Bolognese sauce on penne. We shared a fine limoncello raspberry cake for dessert. Everything was great and we were well-attended by Eric who clearly knew his business. We will be back very soon. A fine lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Best meal ever"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2014I took my fiancé here for his birthday dinner. We had the Wednesday "Quiz Kevin" special. We were able to list 5 foods we liked, 5 we didn't, and any allergies we had. From there the three course meal was a surprise. I could not have been more thrilled with the result. It was a fun experience and the service was exactly on par. My fiancé kept repeating it was the best meal he ever had. We were impressed by the fresh ingredients and the creativity of the meal. It was like they watched what we ate for a week the meal was that on point for both of us. We will definitely be back, we loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Everything was great! The food, the service and the atomsphere. I highly recommend this place as one of the best places to eat in the Syracuse, NY area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!ChrisMVIPDined on 3/21/2014The meal and service were both superb. They were able to accommodate a Gluten-free meal with no problems, and even supplied GF bread with the bread basket. The rice-flour dusted soft-shell crab appetizer was the best thing I've eaten all year. A bit on the pricey side but not outrageous. If there was a fire-place I would have given ambiance 5 stars as well.Special Features:
- Always GreatSeaShellVIPDined on 3/7/2014I have returned several times to the restaurant, and have always had a lovely meal. Last night, we had a specialized salad, beet salad, caesar salad, stuffed chicken breasts, and a filet wrapped around shrimp with a delicious sauce. We also had an unusual goat cheese cake. The sides were great as well as the wine. Sometimes they do need to make the spaces between the tables a little bit larger especially the chairs being too close together. It is so nice to support this really excellent restaurant, which has wonderfully innovative and mouth watering food. This place was also wonderful for my daughter's bridal shower that had food and wine pairings last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It wasn't great.LovetoDineDined on 3/7/2014Some entrees were fine but the meat was tough. If you order pasta the sauces were good however not spectacular. Very nice atmosphere and service was acceptable but out of the way for Italian. Also they charge $4.95 to substitute pasta for a potato? That's ridiculous.Frankie's, Franchesca's and Asti all much better and for great value Rico's or Joey's. Too many other options for Italian in Syracuse.
- Most caring, creative chef in CNYColegaDined on 2/28/2014We've eaten at Gentile's many times and have never been disappointed. It just gets better. Kevin Gentile is very creative and he cares deeply about food and about his customers. I know of no other chef anywhere who cares enough to make 90% of his menu gluten-free if needed. His fried calamari are better than any I've had anywhere in the US or Spain. And his gluten-free variety are just as good as the regular ones. The restaurant is gorgeous, the service attentive but not overbearing, and the parking is ample and free. If you value the idea of buying local, I beg of you, come here. Forget the corporate joints at the mall. Come eat food that comes from the heart. Relax in the bar, talk with the friendly bartender. Then come back with friends.Special Features:
- a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Easy reservations online, convenient parking, a pleasant and helpful staff, not too "spendy", great surroundings and one of the very best meals i have had not only in the area, but anywhere. i will absolutely recommend Gentile's to anyone who cares to ask!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a step up fromJimboDined on 2/19/2014Definitely a step up from regular restaurants. A little pricey but worth it. FOOD Our calamari appetizer was cooked just right - very tender and crispy. All 3 of our entrees were very good - plenty of lobster and scallops on our seafood dishes - sauces were wonderful SERVICE This is something I'm VERY picky about - our waiter was one of the best we've ever had anywhere - he was never more than a minute or two out of contact with us, but he NEVER intruded on our dining experience - all it took was a quick look from me and he was there to help or clear dishes. I would give 6 stars if I could AMBIANCE Minor pickiness here; the print on the menus combined with the low light level made it hard for me to read - other than that, very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gentile'sMcGuireDined on 2/16/2014My parents, my husband, and I had a wonderful meal together. We all ordered different dishes, and were all pleased with our choices. The service was spot-on, which added to the experience. I especially loved the duck entree, which was moist and flavorful. The chocolate/peanut butter cake was sinfully delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef GentileCuseFoodieDined on 2/14/2014I have been going there for years but I have never changed my appetizer. They have the best calamari in town. I changed and had the PEI Mussels in a broth and it was awesome! It was a heavenly delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They built it, you should come!DennisAbearDined on 2/8/2014They lost nothing in moving to larger quarters. Neat tables tucked in corners or out of the way romantic settings. Reasonably quiet. Service superb! Staff worked together; well informed; polite and unobtrusive. Kevin cooks with outstanding creativity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MgiggorMgiggorDined on 1/29/2014Great place, specials where special! Know their wines and pairing. Made our table of 6 feel welcome and taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- made to orderomnivoreDined on 1/29/2014Chef is awesome - their specials are always exceptional - if you have special requests they are very accommodating. Pace of the meal was perfect. Good selection of drafts (I'm a lover of IPAs and I think they had at least 2 on tap).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodenjoylocalDined on 1/25/2014Chef Kevin Gentile has everything you want and anything you want! Really knows gluten free issues and prepared amazing dishes with no hint of an issue. No attitude because of a special request. Every time I have eaten at Gentile's, conversation switches to the food once it arrives at the table! Always great service, always outstanding food and beautiful restaurant. The bar is so beautiful you think you are in NYC. Really beautiful restaurant. Perfect for a group of friends and it was perfect for a romantic evening too. They even have a great place upstairs for parties with a separate bar. Overall, a fantastic place to go!Special Features:
- The food was very good and4friendsDined on 1/25/2014The food was very good and the specials were very special. we would return again. we have eaten here 3+ times so farSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe they were having an off nighthawaiiandvVIPDined on 1/8/2014It was my first time to Gentile's. Overall, it was alright. I would go back to give it another shot but I wasn't very impressed. Everyone was kind and accommodating but it was slower than molasses. We ordered cocktails/drinks to "cheers!" before our wine/dinner and they were so slow that the wine came out first. When the round of cocktails did come out, the champagne I ordered was flat. The served brought me a new glass 15 minutes later. Again, the server was always kind and apologetic -- just everything was so slow and a little awkward. On a side note, for an Italian restaurant, they misspelled "Orecchiette" on their menu. Now I'm not perfect, but you should double check your Italian if you label yourself as an Italian restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Just had dinner there on New year's eve and even though it was busy the food and service were outstanding. We had reservations and we seated within 15 minutes of our original time but the hostess kept us aware of what was going on and was very apologetic. I have been to other places that could basically care less that you were seated after your reservation time and offer no excuse or apology. I will be dining here again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I've been a big Gentile's fan for years now, the food never disappoints and the service is always great. Gentile's is easily the best restaurant in the entire greater Syracuse area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd time here was disappointingGastronautDined on 12/30/2013I loved my first time here. The food was exceptional, and the service was on point. In comparison, my second visit was a letdown. We arrived early for our reservation and spent a good 5-10 min at the hostess station, waiting for her to seat us -- I don't know what she was looking at on her computer (they had plenty of open tables) or what took her so long to decide where to seat us. When we got our food (veal chop and venison), the waiter stated that he would get us steak knives, so we waited... and waited... and finally just started eating with our butter knives. And while we waited for dessert options, we watched as everyone around us (who had arrived after us) got their desserts and coffees and checks. Meanwhile, we continued to wait...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/28/2013Good food . Very reasonable wine list. Tough table for noise . Service was excellent . I think a different table would have helped for a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceturntableheelDined on 12/27/2013Excellent food, friendly and helpful staff- I'm vegetarian and the staff was well informed and helpful when helping me pick my meal. Only (very minor) negative was the kind of annoying Christmas music being played a few days after Christmas, otherwise this was a flawless experience from the moment we walked in the door. Food was ridiculously good. Apple infused water? Warm foccacia served with basalmic, oil and a hummus like bean paste? Yup, that was all before we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate . Reasonable prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013Intimate . Reasonable prices. Exciting food choices. All good. Highly recomended for a date night. Surprisingly large portions.a place you photo your dinner plate prior to eating it's so nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but decor faux pasValerieDined on 12/18/2013The good was good as usual, but this time our section of the restaurant had brown butcher paper over the table cloths! Absolutely took away from the usual (and expected) upscale feel of the place. The paper was annoying, noisy, and the edges kept pulling up when any of us moved. Other sections where people were also seated did not have this paper (lucky for them). Again, the food was excellent but they need to get these other things down to be a top-of-the-line place. I was introducing someone to the place. We'll see if she chooses to go again, despite the great food.Special Features:
- Usually our favoritedisappointedDined on 12/14/2013I have been a loyal Gentile's customer for many years. It's been a special place for us. This visit was slightly disappointing. Maybe it is the holiday season and the kitchen was overrun with parties, but the quality of the food this time was lacking. The menu has lots of choices and I'm wondering if instead of having so many choices that are just OK, a smaller menu would allow the chef to get back to what he's really good at, making amazing, eclectic, and beautiful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Gift CertificatePattie5Dined on 12/14/2013We received a gift certificate for this restaurant as a wedding gift this June and decided to use it for my husband’s birthday this past weekend. The restaurant is warmly decorated, seating is fairly private, the service was first-rate and the food was impeccable. I would say that it is moderately priced. A bottle of wine, an appetizer, 2 entrée’s (one being a special) and dessert was $105.00. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and will be retuning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!! Great service!SinbadDined on 12/1/2013Words can not describe the food we had. In particular the Shrimp Bisque was to die for. Out waiter was very personable and knowledgeable. This was our first time at this restaurant but has now become my new favorite restaurant in Syracuse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will not be going backfuntimesDined on 11/15/2013Our party of 6 recently dined at this restaurant. After reading previous reviews we were a bit apprehensive. The atmosphere was very nice. The menu is a bit confusing to say the least. Too many ingredients listed per item. An item would sound good until you continued to read the full description and very confusing. Two in our party had the Garlic chicken. This was the worst chicken I have had in a restaurant. No Garlic flavor at all. Neither of us who ordered this ate it. Two in our party had the vodka sauce penne. They ate about half and said it was not worth a second visit to try again. One other in the party had a baked chicken dish and after the first bite that was sent back. Unfortunatley we will not return.Special Features: